Recent Rises In Price of Eggs in CM? I Am Wondering Why?

WonderousWand

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon, I was able to visit the market to check original prices against today's egg prices.

The largest size was selling for 43 Bt, until the beginning of May,and was stable over a 10 month h period.

Now, the same size at the same store sells for 45Bt. That is over a 20 percent price rise. In 45 days or less. I think this is significant.

But still, eggs are relatively quite reasonable here in Chiang Mai.

I didn't ask the seller for a price rise reason.

I will attach a few photos showing various prices for different eggs.

post-257660-0-01157500-1465471237_thumb.

post-257660-0-09803000-1465471671_thumb.

post-257660-0-12044800-1465471919_thumb.

post-257660-0-34014300-1465472675_thumb.

Edited by WonderousWand

I think the OP is having an eggsistential crisis. He should omelette go before it scrambles or fries his brain. Look at the sunny-side~up to you.

From my eggsperience these things can be benidicting.

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

I don't plan to become obsessed with eggs, any time soon.

However, I did think that the percentage price rise was very high.

Thank goodness I was able to confirm that my egg lady is just charging the growing rate...

I am still not sure what has caused the sudden price hike...

And I don't care about the amount.

I just want to pay a fair price, whatever that might be.

I do enjoy shopping for eggs in the traditional market, because they provide so much detailed size information. I have never seen that before in Philly.

Remember, Rocky Balboa ate tons of raw eggs, before he visited the Philadelphia Art Museum.

However, he was never particularly interested in the size of each egg.

So, Thailand is better.

I think the OP is having an eggsistential crisis. He should omelette go before it scrambles or fries his brain. Look at the sunny-side~up to you.

Thank goodness I was able to confirm that my egg lady is just charging the growing rate...

I do enjoy shopping for eggs in the traditional market, because they provide so much detailed size information. I have never seen that before in Philly.

Remember, Rocky Balboa ate tons of raw eggs, before he visited the Philadelphia Art Museum.

So, Thailand is better.

Huh? you dont see that 15 posts and photos on eggs alone sure does indicate obsession?

You said in earlier post;

The largest size was selling for 43 Bt, until the beginning of May,and was stable over a 10 month h period.

Now, the same size at the same store sells for 45Bt. That is over a 20 percent price rise

Curious as to how do you figure out over a 20% increase here?

So, Thailand is better.

Huh? you dont see that 15 posts and photos on eggs alone sure does indicate obsession?

Now, the same size at the same store sells for 45Bt. That is over a 20 percent price rise

Yes, that is a very good question.

I think I may be trying to juggle two many different egg prices in my head, without taking notes.

One thing is certain.

On April 25th, my egg lady was selling eggs for 4Bt.

Now, the same eggs at her shop cost 5 Bt.

So, that seems to be a 25 percent price rise.

However, in the case of the small market which I photographed...

The size 0 eggs cost 4.3 Bt per piece on April 25th.

Now these same eggs cost 4.5 Bt per piece.

So, as you say, that is only a 4.7 percent price increase.

I guess my mathematical oversight in my previous post was just due to wishful thinking, and that I hoped I could continue to be in in a good mood while buying eggs from my egg lady.

Now, since you point out this discrepancy, I guess I will not be able to shop with her.

Instead, I will just walk the 3 kilometers to the place I used to buy eggs, and then walk back.

Eggs are quite heavy if you buy one tray, 30 eggs.

I don't know how much they weigh, but a lot if you must carry them in a plastic bag for a 3 kilometer return trip.

Edited by WonderousWand

So, Thailand is better.

Yes, that is a very good question.

I think I may be trying to juggle two many different egg prices in my head, without taking notes.

One thing is certain.

On April 25th, my egg lady was selling eggs for 4Bt.

Now, the same eggs at her shop cost 5 Bt.

So, that seems to be a 25 percent price rise.

However, in the case of the small market which I photographed...

The size 0 eggs cost 4.3 Bt per piece on April 25th.

Now these same eggs cost 4.5 Bt per piece.

So, as you say, that is only a 4.7 percent price increase.

I guess my mathematical oversight in my previous post was just due to wishful thinking, and that I hoped I could continue to be in in a good mood while buying eggs from my egg lady.

Now, since you point out this discrepancy, I guess I will not be able to shop with her.

Instead, I will just walk the 3 kilometers to the place I used to buy eggs, and then walk back.

Eggs are quite heavy if you buy one tray, 30 eggs.

I don't know how much they weigh, but a lot if you must carry them in a plastic bag for a 3 kilometer return trip.

I'm going to be honest; I wouldn't walk 6 km to save 30 Baht. I wouldn't walk 6 km to save my life if I'm honest but I do find your bizarre posts very entertaining. Please continue to regale us with your adventures; you add a certain charisma to this board that it all too often lacks.

Edited by TheSiemReaper

You see?

I Knew this topic was important.

I, and my egg lady, was the first to notice the hydrogen sulfide in the coal mine.

Of course, for me, one who consumes only 5 or 6 eggs per day, I can easily pay out the 4 or 5 Bt. per day in excess eggspendutures.

But some are not so wealthy.

And here is a poster who must buy 600 per month for his business.

Eggs represent a significant fraction of the cost for some recipes.

And, eggs are also the best source of low cost highly concentrated protein available.

It is possible to provide an all plant diet with enough protein, but eggs are easier.

Anyway, when we discover the reason for the recent price increase, then we will know why.

I think that egg production costs are closely related to energy costs, but I am not sure. I thought that the lighting used in industrial henhouses was important for increased production.

I also think that hens eat seafood.

In the form of tiny Manhattan.

But maybe I misspelled something.

I must look it up on Google.

Edited by WonderousWand

You see?

I, and my egg lady, was the first to notice the hydrogen sulfide in the coal mine.

Of course, for me, one who consumes only 5 or 6 eggs per day, I can easily pay out the 4 or 5 Bt. per day in excess eggspendutures.

And, eggs are also the best source of low cost highly concentrated protein available.

It is possible to provide an all plant diet with enough protein, but eggs are easier.

Anyway, when we discover the reason for the recent price increase, then we will know why.

I think that egg production costs are closely related to energy costs, but I am not sure. I thought that the lighting used in industrial henhouses was important for increased production.

and the eggs will still be the same price.

You see?

and the eggs will still be the same price.

Well, by then they actually may not be the same price.

I think the cost is related to the import numbers for layers, chickens that lay eggs.

According to the Bangkok Post, in 2010, the price for an egg shot up to 6 or 8 Baht.

So, keep those layers coming in, and the price should remain stable.

The cost to produce an egg was around 2.6 Bt.

We have not even broken the subject of

Powdered Eggs.

Sometimes farmers can use Powdered Eggs to prop up the price, when falling too fast.

I see nothing wrong with paying 4.5 Bt for a 0 egg.

I want the farmers to make a decent income.

I have just been reading about fake plastic eggs added into the mix of real eggs. Some consumers have stated that they have been fooled by these plastic fake eggs which they say are coming out of China.

I do not believe this report, although some consumers have succumbed to belief in this rumor.

http://newsviral4u.com/tag/eggs/

Of course, maybe it could be possible if the source of the fake plastic chicken eggs was actually a rejected Chinese Easter decorations shipment originally bound for the USA.

I mean, what would one do with so many rejected plastic eggs?

I suppose one could sell them along with real eggs, and hope no one would notice.

Edited by WonderousWand

Some serious freaking déjà vu going down. Wasn't there a hyperinflation egg crisis thread this time last year? Or am I getting old?

Sorry, I am sure that you are not getting old, however I do recall buying eggs in August, of 2015, and I do not recall any exorbitant pricing.

I could be wrong, but I think I would have noticed, since I am pretty price conscious, usually.

Some serious freaking déjà vu going down. Wasn't there a hyperinflation egg crisis thread this time last year? Or am I getting old?

Sorry, I am sure that you are not getting old, however I do recall buying eggs in August, of 2015, and I do not recall any exorbitant pricing.

I could be wrong, but I think I would have noticed, since I am pretty price conscious, usually.

I think you missed the last global crisis and it wasn't that long ago. Prices skyrocketed out of nowhere I seem to recall.

Nothing to do with the price of eggs,but at Big C a Pkt of 6

Croissants ,last week were 29 THB,this week 47 THB ,that's

inflation to a high degree.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

I think you missed the last global crisis and it wasn't that long ago. Prices skyrocketed out of nowhere I seem to recall.

Well, it could be, according to this article, that high egg prices will begin to wane this year.

http://nrn.com/commodities/egg-prices-expected-ease-year

Maybe as Avian flu becomes less of a problem, then this might have a positive effect.

Last year, I did not notice any global crisis, except the usual one,

Involving the top 1 half of one percent of the USA population controlling the wealth and power in the country.

Maybe those super rich do not need to depend on eggs to provide good protein to their families,

However, many families do.

It is difficult to grow crops on limited land to provide enough protein for one's family.

However, if one has a few laying hens, then children get the protein they need.

Love eggs, for this reason.

Nothing to do with the price of eggs,but at Big C a Pkt of 6

Croissants ,last week were 29 THB,this week 47 THB ,that's

inflation to a high degree.

regards worgeordie

Let us hope we avoid general inflation.

Inflation is often just another tax on the poor.

Very unfortunate.