Recent Rises In Price of Eggs in CM? I Am Wondering Why?

WonderousWand

Joe must have changed his medication regimen. Before he stated that proper men from his poor upbringing didn't discuss trivial matters like egg prices. Best prices I've seen are at Ton Payom Market at SUthep/Canal Rd.. They appear to sell a few thousand per day.

Me change? Never! I'm still taking the piss, just as I did back then, and I still would have no idea how much eggs are to any decimal place. I could guess that they were maybe 3b or 5b each, but that would be about it.

I still hold the view that the price of eggs or wet fish to within a few satang is more the concern of little old impoverished women than well-to-do farangs. If the opening post was a letter to the editor of Viz, I'd be having a chuckle, much the same as I did when I saw this.The only difference is that this guy may actually be for real!

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no need for them to discuss the price of haircuts because they are mostly bald, and no reason to discuss dentists prices because they don't have any teeth. Egg prices are actually a good indicator of overall food prices, and at a certain point, everyone will notice...they hit 6 us per dozen in the US several months ago, due to some outbreak, but as long as the pint prices don't change and you're still just a poor pensioner; I guess it doesn't matter. But really, it's about having a mind that functions well. Fruit prices are creeping up, and that can likely be a cost of the drought, but otherwise, consumer prices are pretty stable, mostly due to low demand.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

This is No Yoking Matter.

We must band together as the Ferang Fraternity and Crack this plot, Hatched by the Foul Retailers to force us

to shell-out in this manner, thereby giving them cause to Crow over us.

This is No Yoking Matter.

We must band together as the Ferang Fraternity and Crack this plot, Hatched by the Foul Retailers to force us

to shell-out in this manner, thereby giving them cause to Crow over us.

Agreed.

It is keeping me sleepless.

I will do this, however, because it is only 2am.

I will walk down to the 7, this instant, and see if they have any eggs for sale, and what price.

Might even take a photo.

Then I might post a price.

However, doing this can inform us nothing about the topical question of why egg prices have suddenly been on the rise since May 10th.

These eggs are on sale at the local 7. Near Suthep Road, almost where you begin heading up the mountain.

55Bt for 10. The weight range per egg is on the packaging. But I forget the price of eggs last time I checked at 7, earlier this year in February.

Still, I now believe that the egg lady has raised her prices too precipitously.

Maybe soon, I will be able to check prices at the local market, about 2km from here. post-257660-0-82421000-1465154406_thumb.post-257660-0-56216600-1465154455_thumb.

These eggs are on sale at the local 7. Near Suthep Road, almost where you begin heading up the mountain.

55Bt for 10. The weight range per egg is on the packaging. But I forget the price of eggs last time I checked at 7, earlier this year in February.

Maybe soon, I will be able to check prices at the local market, about 2km from here.

You forgot the price of eggs at 7/11 in February? What kind of a miser are you that doesn't write these things down? I'm beginning to think you're making this all up (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Is Suthep Rd near your dwelling location? I've been dwelling in Chiang Mai for many years and always dwelt on the East side of the river, but must admit to having a desire to one day change my dwelling location to dwell nearer to the mountains.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Your are buying your eggs in 10's? 43 baht, 40baht, 50 baht? Buying them individually one or two at a time from Ma and Pa stores is always more expensive. Eggs do flucuate but it's just supply and demand , normal egganomics.

He's on 5 a day remember, and probably keeps one behind his ear for later.

I imagine he's trying to cut down, but without the right support he probably won't be able to cope with going cold-chicken, I mean turkey.

The OP is relatively new here, and can be forgiven for his apparent failure to realize that Thighlander/bangmai/KhonKaenKowboy/??? was, is and will always remain our resident eggspert when it comes to the local price of embryonic fowl, right down to that very last hardscrabble satang. That's just the way this self-described college graduate rolls!

Monitoring these microscopic market fluctuations seems to have become a service that he's graciously undertaken to provide to those of his brethren unfortunate enough to be required to take notice of such things, and for that.......we all owe him a heartfelt debt of gratitude. There is no higher possible authority, and since he's already (and inevitably...) weighed in on the subject at hand, I believe that we can now consider the question asked and answered!

He is the Eggman.

He is the Walrus.

Goo goo g'joob!

Maybe soon, I will be able to check prices at the local market, about 2km from here.

You forgot the price of eggs at 7/11 in February? What kind of a miser are you that doesn't write these things down? I'm beginning to think you're making this all up (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Is Suthep Rd near your dwelling location? I've been dwelling in Chiang Mai for many years and always dwelt on the East side of the river, but must admit to having a desire to one day change my dwelling location to dwell nearer to the mountains.

I do not take notes. It is pointless for me to to take notes on most things. I would, but, being in a rush, I cannot force myself to to slow my writing down enough to write clearly all of the letters. Some are clear, but most are not, and after about 3 days, when I forget the text I was writing, then returning to the my notes, I cannot read them better than anybody else, almost totally illegible.

However, this does not mean that I do not keep a record. I do have photographic records of that February price at 7. I cannot immediately locate the image file in storage, but I do have it.

I will try to post it tomorrow.

Still, I clearly recall that the 7 pricing for fairly small eggs was about 10 Bt more costly for a box of 10.

So you can see that, since February, the eggs at 7 seem not to have increased in price.

I think that one reason for this is that 7 might warehouse a large inventory of eggs, which are still at the old lower price.

So my thinking is that, if this is true, then it would be only logical to anticipate a price rise at 7, similar to the price hike of my egg lady, just as soon as 7 has depleted its lower cost egg inventory.

It really is possible to stockpile eggs, at fairly low cost, for ages.

Eggs are dense in protein, and they have a shell packaging that is a boon to retailers.

You know... The more I look at the egg packaging and label, the more interesting points I notice.

For example, the label has English, Chinese, Thai, Japanese , and only uses metric quantities.

So I'm thinking that maybe these are international eggs.

Maybe they did not come from inside Thailand, but from without.

This is nothing strange, because our food today has gone global, and it has no home. The cost of shipping around the world in fast refrigerated container vessels is super cheap, and super automated.

Maybe this is why the cost of 7's eggs has not changed since last February, if my memory serves me well.

Maybe these eggs are coming from Texas, which is the original home of 7-11,and where they have cheap grain, and huge industrial hen houses, producing efficient food.

One way to tell where a hen house might be is to fly at night over the landscape.

Looking down, you will see Islands of light. These are agricultural centers which produce eggs, maybe chicken, but could be duck eggs.

The reason the lights are used throughout the night is to increase production. I don't know if they do this in Texas, but in Asia this practice is very common.

So, if these eggs are coming from Texas, then the Texan price is 55 Bt for 10.

And my egg lady sells me 10 slightly larger eggs for 50Bt. Maybe the higher price could be attributable to shipping costs from Texas.

This is only conjecture on my part.

Tomorrow, I will revisit the market near the Jesuit compound, and check on the price. I know it was 4.3 Bt per egg on the end of April.

I could photograph the people selling and buying eggs there.

On most days, they have a good stock of 3 to 4 different size diameters. And they use chalk to make notes on the shells.

I enjoy shopping there.

Edited by WonderousWand

Why don't you just ask the seller why the prices have gone up?

...and it's "fewer" eggs, not "less" eggs.

I would not ask, since this would be embarrassing for all.

I would not mind asking 7, but I do not know anyone in purchasing.

Thank you for your tip on vocabulary usage.

All I can say is that when the egg shell diameter is smaller, then there seems to be less egg inside.

Why don't you just ask the seller why the prices have gone up?

...and it's "fewer" eggs, not "less" eggs.

Please note, although I do not really care,

That it was not I who used the combination less eggs. It was another writer.

The only less combinations I used were...

Sleepless, and

Pointless.

Still, proper vocabulary usage is something about which I consider myself a true stickler.

Eat less .5 eggs per day is too much .Skwalk ,Skwalk .Ever heard of Semolina ? .People who get it from eating too much eggs report a strange urge to go walkabout .

I did not know this, I know pasta has SEMOLINA, but eggs?

Eat less .5 eggs per day is too much .Skwalk ,Skwalk .Ever heard of Semolina ? .People who get it from eating too much eggs report a strange urge to go walkabout .

I did not know this, I know pasta has SEMOLINA, but eggs?
In Somalia, Salmonella is a problem for poultry workers. However, in every home, people that process poultry spread eColi.

There are eBooks which explain the significant threat from eColi,not just Somalia.

The thing is...

We now realize that getting high serum cholesterol from eggs is not as serious as once thought.

5 eggs per day might be considered a bit much.

I have already had my blood work done a number of times, and cholesterol is at nominal levels.

Price is another matter, and we do not like to pay more than necessary.

Edited by WonderousWand

Don't dampen his eggo, the OP's merely eggpressing himself.

Thank you.

It is definitely true that some eggs around here are just too hardboiled to enjoy life, unless they are steamin... At someone or something.

Edited by WonderousWand

The OPs not all he is cracked up to be .He chickened out of that walk .Now he sits at home worrying about the price of eggs .His brain seems scrambled and not so hard boiled .

An interesting topic, and certainly one of great interest to the price-conscious amongst us, but since this topic has been covered before, he's clearly poaching other people's ideas. Maybe he was unaware of the previous topic, or more likely he's spent too much time in the sun and his brain is addled. He certainly comes across as being a bit egg-centric.

As Bernard Meltzer said, A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg, even though he knows you're a bit cracked.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

An interesting topic, and certainly one of great interest to the price-conscious amongst us, but since this topic has been covered before, he's clearly poaching other people's ideas. Maybe he was unaware of the previous topic, or more likely he's spent too much time in the sun and his brain is addled. He certainly comes across as being a bit egg-centric.

As Bernard Meltzer said, A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg, even though he knows you're a bit cracked.

I completely agree with you.

And, as a close friend of mine oft remarked...

We are all crazy,

And some of us are more equal than others.

You know... The more I look at the egg packaging and label, the more interesting points I notice.

For example, the label has English, Chinese, Thai, Japanese , and only uses metric quantities.

So I'm thinking that maybe these are international eggs.

Maybe they did not come from inside Thailand, but from without.

This is nothing strange, because our food today has gone global, and it has no home. The cost of shipping around the world in fast refrigerated container vessels is super cheap, and super automated.

Maybe this is why the cost of 7's eggs has not changed since last February, if my memory serves me well.

Maybe these eggs are coming from Texas, which is the original home of 7-11,and where they have cheap grain, and huge industrial hen houses, producing efficient food.

One way to tell where a hen house might be is to fly at night over the landscape.

Looking down, you will see Islands of light. These are agricultural centers which produce eggs, maybe chicken, but could be duck eggs.

The reason the lights are used throughout the night is to increase production. I don't know if they do this in Texas, but in Asia this practice is very common.

So, if these eggs are coming from Texas, then the Texan price is 55 Bt for 10.

And my egg lady sells me 10 slightly larger eggs for 50Bt. Maybe the higher price could be attributable to shipping costs from Texas.

This is only conjecture on my part.

Tomorrow, I will revisit the market near the Jesuit compound, and check on the price. I know it was 4.3 Bt per egg on the end of April.

I could photograph the people selling and buying eggs there.

On most days, they have a good stock of 3 to 4 different size diameters. And they use chalk to make notes on the shells.

I enjoy shopping there.

Maybe the eggstradition treaty lapsed??