Recent Rises In Price of Eggs in CM? I Am Wondering Why?

WonderousWand

The recent hot weather probably had a lot to do with reduced egg output. Its cooling off now so production should recover and the price may be reduced to what they were selling at before the heat spell.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with the price of eggs,but at Big C a Pkt of 6

Croissants ,last week were 29 THB,this week 47 THB ,that's

inflation to a high degree.

regards worgeordie

Croissants hibernate in the cooler wet season so more difficult to find and scarcity pushes the prices up.

You see?

I Knew this topic was important.

I, and my egg lady, was the first to notice the hydrogen sulfide in the coal mine.

Of course, for me, one who consumes only 5 or 6 eggs per day, I can easily pay out the 4 or 5 Bt. per day in excess eggspendutures.

But some are not so wealthy.

And here is a poster who must buy 600 per month for his business.

Eggs represent a significant fraction of the cost for some recipes.

And, eggs are also the best source of low cost highly concentrated protein available.

It is possible to provide an all plant diet with enough protein, but eggs are easier.

Anyway, when we discover the reason for the recent price increase, then we will know why.

I think that egg production costs are closely related to energy costs, but I am not sure. I thought that the lighting used in industrial henhouses was important for increased production.

I also think that hens eat seafood.

In the form of tiny Manhattan.

But maybe I misspelled something.

I must look it up on Google.

Anyway, when we discover the reason for the recent price increase, then we will know why.

and the eggs will still be the same price.

Well, by then they actually may not be the same price.

I think the cost is related to the import numbers for layers, chickens that lay eggs.

According to the Bangkok Post, in 2010, the price for an egg shot up to 6 or 8 Baht.

So, keep those layers coming in, and the price should remain stable.

The cost to produce an egg was around 2.6 Bt.

We have not even broken the subject of

Powdered Eggs.

Sometimes farmers can use Powdered Eggs to prop up the price, when falling too fast.

I see nothing wrong with paying 4.5 Bt for a 0 egg.

I want the farmers to make a decent income.

So you already know the answer. The whole post is meaningless. as you say it goes up and down and can be a daily change. It how ever has been eggciting. But not very eggact.

regards worgeordie

Croissants hibernate in the cooler wet season so more difficult to find and scarcity pushes the prices up.

I have also noted a tendency for sales to push the prices down or being old to push them down.coffee1.gif

regards worgeordie

I have also noted a tendency for sales to push the prices down or being old to push them down.coffee1.gif

Not meaningless.

regards worgeordie

A bar girls knickers go up and down also .Nothing to do with inflation.;-)

Not entirely sure if related.....I don't eat chicken stuff......But.....

My Daughter has 7 high school gal friends & she requested we make my famous Cajun Mexican Thai Zap Zap Garlic wings ala George Foreman......

I made these last week --- I can swear I just paid 500+B for what cost me 400B a week ago.....The "thigh" portion.....

Inflation is with us,Thailand is not immune.Large Milk 9 years ago was 70 something baht now its 90 ,our prefered brand was 95 at Big C last week.

Fruit/veges have skyrocketed ,posibly due to drought ,but a hand of bananas used to be around 15 baht now its double.

But the big clincher is that many products are now packaged in smaller containers ie cans,packets, has no one noticed ?

The incredible, shrinking product is with us.

My Daughter has 7 high school gal friends & she requested we make my famous Cajun Mexican Thai Zap Zap Garlic wings ala George Foreman......

I made these last week --- I can swear I just paid 500+B for what cost me 400B a week ago.....The "thigh" portion.....

Chicken is a major portion of our calorie intake, whether eggs or meat. It is important to keep the price low, while still providing fair income to farmers.

Cost cutting in the distribution channels would be helpful, and proper import policy.

Chicken is a major portion of our calorie intake, whether eggs or meat. It is important to keep the price low, while still providing fair income to farmers.

Cost cutting in the distribution channels would be helpful, and proper import policy.

Any bookish thoughts on free range versus battery farming of chickens ?

Yes, relative to this topic, I put low cost first, due to the requirement to provide low cost protein to children and families who need it most.

When the 1 percent decide to have a more equitable distribution of wealth, and when world poverty is a thing of the past, and when the world population is no longer headed for 9 or 10 billion, then free range will become a luxury we can afford.

But not now.

Of course, there is much that can be done to improve present day industrial chicken and egg production, and all that can be done should be done.

I used to raise chicks as pets.

Extremely smelly and dirty.

Not good pets for kids, in my view.

But.... Cute.

Update...Ton Payom Market.....huge seller of eggs. 32, 34, 37, 39 for 10...I bought the 34 size..I think the jumbos have less flavor, but the smalls are too small. It is likely that 30s would be less per egg. They had a few thousand of them.attachicon.gifDSC_0000259.jpg

Has anyone tried weighing the different sized eggs to ascertain whether there is any finacial gain in buying larger or smaller? Shouldn't they be labelled with the satangs per gram price to help OAPs that may be easily confused?

Yes, relative to this topic, I put low cost first, due to the requirement to provide low cost protein to children and families who need it most.

When the 1 percent decide to have a more equitable distribution of wealth, and when world poverty is a thing of the past, and when the world population is no longer headed for 9 or 10 billion, then free range will become a luxury we can afford.

But not now.

Of course, there is much that can be done to improve present day industrial chicken and egg production, and all that can be done should be done.

I used to raise chicks as pets.

Extremely smelly and dirty.

Not good pets for kids, in my view.

But.... Cute.

Animal welfare is not a luxury. And you can't blame rich people for your complicity in the lack of it. And there are forms of cheap protein other than chicken products.

We should do all that is possible to minimize the negative consequences of food production,while meeting the requirement to provide adequate nutrition to all people.

If you wish to know my views on this topic, and since there is no space here to detail them....

Please just read everything Jeffery Sachs, of Columbia's Earth Institute, has written on the subject.

He has said it all, and said it well.

I have nothing more to add that he has not already written.

Edited by WonderousWand

Update...Ton Payom Market.....huge seller of eggs. 32, 34, 37, 39 for 10...I bought the 34 size..I think the jumbos have less flavor, but the smalls are too small. It is likely that 30s would be less per egg. They had a few thousand of them.attachicon.gifDSC_0000259.jpg

Has anyone tried weighing the different sized eggs to ascertain whether there is any finacial gain in buying larger or smaller? Shouldn't they be labelled with the satangs per gram price to help OAPs that may be easily confused?

Yes, of course.

And really the only sensible way to sell eggs is by the kilogram.

This is a measure of mass, not of girth.

I would welcome back those old scales made out of bamboo and a thong. They are extremely accurate, don't require batteries, and last a lifetime.

Edited by WonderousWand

I do not personally own a scale.

However, in the interests of consumerism, I would this once be willing to weigh myself,

Eat 10 Size 0 eggs,

Then immediately re-weigh myself.

The following day I could repeat the process with a different egg diameter.

If the scale is accurate enough, the results might be significant.

Eating 10 eggs in 30 minutes is nothing new to me.

Edited by WonderousWand

I do not personally own a scale.

However, in the interests of consumerism, I would this once be willing to weigh myself,

Eat 10 Size 0 eggs,

Then immediately re-weigh myself.

The following day I could repeat the process with a different egg diameter.

If the scale is accurate enough, the results might be significant.

Eating 10 eggs in 30 minutes is nothing new to me.

Eating 10 eggs in a month is nothing new to me.....