Controling CPU usage

Daffy D

Most of the movies I download will play quite happily on the Samsung smart TV.

Sometimes there is a movie that for some reason won't play "not recognized" by the TV, but no problem I just convert to AVI and all is good.

The other day I wanted to watch the 2010 series "The Pacific" but got the "not recognized" warning from the TV.

So I loaded up the 10 episodes and started the conversion, the "Pacific" file was a 7.04Gb .MKV and this converted into an over 12Gb. AVI file. and as it was going to take about 9 hours so was set to let it it run overnight blink.png

I noticed the chassis fans were whirling like crazy at high speed indicating something was getting hot.

Checked the internal temperatures with "Speccy" http://www.piriform.com/speccy and found the CPU temperature was over 80c and no other programs were working because the video conversion was taking all the CPU processing. w00t.gif

Anyway to the point of this post. Found a neat little program http://mion.faireal.net/BES/ that lets you control what CPU resources to allocate to what running program. So if running a program that's taking too much CPU, either getting hot or stopping you from doing something else you can control that. Of course by reducing the CPU allocation that program will run slower but life is a compromise just about everywhere. whistling.gif

post-35075-0-29723800-1465179997_thumb.j post-35075-0-80923900-1465180017_thumb.j

Just thought I'd share smile.png

7.04Gb 12Gb

Do you know what codec and resolution was used in the original file before you transcoded it ?

Afraid other than knowing file types, .avi and the like I don't really understand what all the technical data means but this is information that came with the download:-

The.Pacific.E01.2010.720P.BRRIP.HEVC.x265.AC3-MAJESTiC

Typical data

Container............: MKV

Length...............: 59 minutes

Size.................: 699 MiB

Total Bitrate........: 1 668 Kbps

Audio Info

Codec................: AC-3

Bitrate..............: 384 Kbps

kHz/bit..............: 48.0 KHz / 16 bits

Channels.............: 6

Video Info

Codec................: V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

Resolution...........: 1280x720

Aspect Ratio.........: 16:9

wink.png

Do you know what codec and resolution was used in the original file before you transcoded it ?

Afraid other than knowing file types, .avi and the like I don't really understand what all the technical data means but this is information that came with the download:-

The.Pacific.E01.2010.720P.BRRIP.HEVC.x265.AC3-MAJESTiC

Typical data

Container............: MKV

Length...............: 59 minutes

Size.................: 699 MiB

Total Bitrate........: 1 668 Kbps

Audio Info

Codec................: AC-3

Bitrate..............: 384 Kbps

kHz/bit..............: 48.0 KHz / 16 bits

Channels.............: 6

Video Info

Codec................: V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

Resolution...........: 1280x720

Aspect Ratio.........: 16:9

wink.png

AVI is just a container file, same as mkv.

to get efficient video compression, you should use H264 or X264.

to convert video, I use the video converter from freemake.com it's easy to use and works quickly and gives even some options to cut/edit and join files, converts nearly every possible format.