Motorcycle taxi driver's head almost cut off in argument over fare

webfact

Horrific how little value is placed on life in this supposedly Buddhist alleged land of smiles.

Just as well it wouldn't happen outside of Thailand?

Well, of course heinous crimes occur in every country perpetrated by every gender, race, religion, and culture - but, no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles.

Do you not see a disconnect between the Buddhist way of life and the Thai way of life? The disconnect between the way Thailand portrays itself in the tourism ads and the reality of holidaying or living here?

So you think the Thai tourist board should focus their marketing on murders? What on earth does religion have to do with murders like this? There is a "disconnect" between murder and all religions. Why should Thailand be any different?

Oh my, what part of "no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles" don't you understand?

I mean, you even quoted it! Did you not comprehend it, or did you just ignore that part so your argument would look kinda valid?

Of course there is a disconnect between murder and all religions, Thailand should be different because of the way Thailand, more than any other country on the planet, portrays itself. How can I make that clearer?

Again, my comment was not about the religion itself, but rather about the religion being an enormous part of the way Thailand promotes itself, and the way the daily murders and bashings over the slightest disagreement flies in the face of that idealised portrayal.

Wow what a hot head, murdered a person for a small taxi fare probably no more than 100 baht max.

It's a shame for everybody else that the world is full of these type of idiots.

Since you can't know for sure the exhorbant amount the taxi was trying to charge then you couldn't possibly say it was a small fare. I have ridden the those for less than a kilometer and been asked to pay over 200 baht. Rather than me getting angry I throw a 50 at him and walk away.

200 baht? Oh, that's different, and a very large fare, huh?
If you know anything about Thais then you would know the amount doesn't matter if they get into a argument about it. It then becomes a point of saving face in which murder is an acceptable solution here..

Wow what a hot head, murdered a person for a small taxi fare probably no more than 100 baht max.

Since you can't know for sure the exhorbant amount the taxi was trying to charge then you couldn't possibly say it was a small fare. I have ridden the those for less than a kilometer and been asked to pay over 200 baht. Rather than me getting angry I throw a 50 at him and walk away.

if you read the article, instead of assuming the taxi was trying to overcharge, the passenger did not have money on him, and wanted to go inside a building to get money for the taxi, this is common when people do taxi runners, which the taxi obviously knew.

And to your other comment, it seems instead of you knowing the exact fare or agreeing on said fare BEFORE taking the taxi (which is where i assume times like this you are intoxicated as you forgot to confirm price prior to journey) instead of you paying the requested fare when you reach your destination you then refuse to pay simply because there is no meter stating the fare, and you then decide upon yourself how much you want to pay and then you add more insult by throwing money at them which they most likely have to pick up from the floor.

It seems you are the lucky one that has not had his neck cut and you have only dealt with taxi's that have thought the trouble is not worth the pittance even to them.

You will find if a taxi is the bad kind that wants to rip you off (like you must assume all are) most of them would not consider money being thrown at them/on the floor, as payment and they would also take more offence and would not let you just walk off.

If i do ever catch a moto taxi, i am always aware of the going price for my desired journey, i never ask the price, but i do always over pay by 20-50 baht depending on ride, as the ride is pennies anyway, depending where you are it is usually the quickest method, and its much easier to just be nice to someone providing a service that you need, instead of penny picking.

Horrific how little value is placed on life in this supposedly Buddhist alleged land of smiles.

Well, of course heinous crimes occur in every country perpetrated by every gender, race, religion, and culture - but, no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles.

Do you not see a disconnect between the Buddhist way of life and the Thai way of life? The disconnect between the way Thailand portrays itself in the tourism ads and the reality of holidaying or living here?

So you think the Thai tourist board should focus their marketing on murders? What on earth does religion have to do with murders like this? There is a "disconnect" between murder and all religions. Why should Thailand be any different?

Oh my, what part of "no other country presents itself like Thailand does, portraying itself as a uniquely peace-loving Buddhist Land of Smiles" don't you understand?

I mean, you even quoted it! Did you not comprehend it, or did you just ignore that part so your argument would look kinda valid?

Of course there is a disconnect between murder and all religions, Thailand should be different because of the way Thailand, more than any other country on the planet, portrays itself. How can I make that clearer?

Again, my comment was not about the religion itself, but rather about the religion being an enormous part of the way Thailand promotes itself, and the way the daily murders and bashings over the slightest disagreement flies in the face of that idealised portrayal.

I disagree. I thought your comment was cheap, out of place and trollish. But, hey, the Forum would be very boring if we all agreed.

even if he did over charge it would only be a few baht,( and thai on thai) it doesen't warrent killing the man does it ???

Ah so, more material for a Thai Soap Opera episode...

I use to think the Thai soaps were the most violent entertainment in Thailand...

Recent actual violent crimes have the soaps looking like a Mary Poppin Disney Production...

even if he did over charge it would only be a few baht,( and thai on thai) it doesen't warrent killing the man does it ???

The original report suggested the customer was drunk. I'd wager drugs might have had something to do with it.

The religion of Thailand has an awful lot to do with it, in that it (and the upholding of it's principles), is presented as a fundamental/key aspect of Thai life in a way that religion could not/would not be presented by, for instance, the British Tourist Authority.

If the reality in any way matched the image one would expect to see more "virtue" in Thailand than in other countries. I'll stick my neck out and say that the Netherlands is promoted as a nation of cyclists and it's true, that in Italy they eat a lot of pasta and it's true, that in England they are more interested in football than religion and it's true, that Switzerland is more "mountainlike" than the Bahamas and it's true.

Anyone who has spent any time out of the "tourist tunnel" or "expat bubble" knows that the disconnect between that particular, heavily promoted, part of Thailands image and the reality is truly grotesque.

It's like turning up at Disneyland and finding that Mickey and his pals are having a gunfight along Main Street USA over a drug-deal that went wrong.

But what is far more tragic is that Thailand tells itself the same lie. I believe it's called "living in denial".

Edited by Enoon

The religion of Thailand has an awful lot to do with it, in that it (and the upholding of it's principles), is presented as a fundamental/key aspect of Thai life in a way that religion could not/would not be presented by, for instance, the British Tourist Board.

If the reality in any way matched the image one would expect to see more "virtue" in Thailand than in other countries. I'll stick my neck out and say that the Netherlands is promoted as a nation of cyclists and it's true, that in Italy they eat a lot of pasta and it's true, that in England they are more interested in football than religion and it's true, that Switzerland is more "mountainlike" than The Bahamas and it's true.

Anyone who has spent any time out of the "tourist tunnel" or "expat bubble" knows that the disconnect between that particular, heavily promoted, image and the reality is truly grotesque.

It's like turning up at Disneyland and finding that Mickey and his pals are having a gunfight along Main Street USA over a drug-deal that went wrong.

But what is far more tragic is that Thailand tells itself the same lie. I believe it's called "living in denial".

So how would you advise the Thai Tourist Board to promote Thailand? I'm guessing you don't work in advertising!

s4.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- An elderly Bangkok motorcycle taxi driver was murdered Sunday in an apparent argument over a fare.

Sixty four year old Panya Chimthet was found in the Sathorn area of Bangkok with a single knife would to the throat that had almost severed his head.

The hunt is on for a 30 - 40 man, 165 centimetres tall, who was carrying a plastic bag with a bottle of spirits and who was wearing dark blue trousers and t-shirt with a cap reported Thairath.

Police found the victim by the side of the road near the end of Charoenrat Soi 2 in the Yannawa area of Sathorn. He was face down in a pool of blood. His Honda Moove bike was found nearby. He was wearing motorcycle jacket number 2 of the Charoen Krung 65 taxi rank.

Police learnt from the victim's younger brother Keng Chimthet, 43, that earlier Sunday evening they were working together waiting for customers in Charoen Krung 65. A man holding a plastic bad containing alcohol had approached them at 7.30pm asking to be taken to Charoenrat Soi 2. His elder brother was next in line to take a fare.

The next he heard was that his brother was dead and he rushed over to the scene. He said that he was told that on reaching the soi a big argument had broken out when the passenger said he was going to pop home to get money for the fare. The passenger took out a knife used for cutting grass and attacked his brother before fleeing the scene.

Police are studying CCTV footage from the original rank to the murder scene and interviewing witnesses as the hunt for the murderer continues.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png

-- 2016-06-06

I can't say I blame him

These tacos take the piss sometimes

Looks like one picked the wrong person to tango with

One called me key nio the other day my wife had to hold me back from

Smacking him

The religion of Thailand has an awful lot to do with it, in that it (and the upholding of it's principles), is presented as a fundamental/key aspect of Thai life in a way that religion could not/would not be presented by, for instance, the British Tourist Board.

If the reality in any way matched the image one would expect to see more "virtue" in Thailand than in other countries. I'll stick my neck out and say that the Netherlands is promoted as a nation of cyclists and it's true, that in Italy they eat a lot of pasta and it's true, that in England they are more interested in football than religion and it's true, that Switzerland is more "mountainlike" than the Bahamas and it's true.

Anyone who has spent any time out of the "tourist tunnel" or "expat bubble" knows that the disconnect between that particular, heavily promoted, image and the reality is truly grotesque.

And they will tell you they don't live in denial and that you just don't understand thainess. How could you? You are not Thai. ...

Edited by thesetat2013

s4.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- An elderly Bangkok motorcycle taxi driver was murdered Sunday in an apparent argument over a fare.

Sixty four year old Panya Chimthet was found in the Sathorn area of Bangkok with a single knife would to the throat that had almost severed his head.

The hunt is on for a 30 - 40 man, 165 centimetres tall, who was carrying a plastic bag with a bottle of spirits and who was wearing dark blue trousers and t-shirt with a cap reported Thairath.

Police found the victim by the side of the road near the end of Charoenrat Soi 2 in the Yannawa area of Sathorn. He was face down in a pool of blood. His Honda Moove bike was found nearby. He was wearing motorcycle jacket number 2 of the Charoen Krung 65 taxi rank.

Police learnt from the victim's younger brother Keng Chimthet, 43, that earlier Sunday evening they were working together waiting for customers in Charoen Krung 65. A man holding a plastic bad containing alcohol had approached them at 7.30pm asking to be taken to Charoenrat Soi 2. His elder brother was next in line to take a fare.

The next he heard was that his brother was dead and he rushed over to the scene. He said that he was told that on reaching the soi a big argument had broken out when the passenger said he was going to pop home to get money for the fare. The passenger took out a knife used for cutting grass and attacked his brother before fleeing the scene.

Police are studying CCTV footage from the original rank to the murder scene and interviewing witnesses as the hunt for the murderer continues.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png

-- 2016-06-06

I can't say I blame him

These tacos take the piss sometimes

Looks like one picked the wrong person to tango with

One called me key nio the other day my wife had to hold me back from

Smacking him

You can't say you blame the killer?

You are either the worst troll ever or you should get your head checked!

High on the list for dumbest comment of...ever, really!

Total BS.

A knife used for cutting grass. That would be a scythe, so hardly a knife. No wonder it nearly severed his head. And strange that the description doesn't include a nationality, or even whether Asian, Middle Eastern, African, et al.

He'd just eaten a bowl of noodles sprinkled with extra chili, banks at krungthai, his favorite colour was yellow. Anything else you want to know

The motocy taxi driver was a really really nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone!!!

How can you say that bro? The moto guys at the end of my soi cause no problems.

Er ..um.. I may be missing something here but it sounds like you two are agreeing with each other smile.png

You should learn to recognise sarcasm when you see it!

The motocy taxi driver was a really really nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone!!!

How can you say that bro? The moto guys at the end of my soi cause no problems.

Er ..um.. I may be missing something here but it sounds like you two are agreeing with each other smile.png

Haha, yes. That's awkward!

My bad.

The most famous mass murderer in the world was a Buddhist called Pol Pot. The precepts of any belief system are ideals not actuality. Christianity and Islam are cases in point

The driver was murdered over a 40 baht fare!!! One witness. So far nothing on the cctv cameras. Bad guy had mask on. It was raining on and off and a lot of people were inside that night. Everyone in the neighborhood is very upset about this including the Police!!! Hope they find the murderer soon!!!!

Oh I got it 200 baht is enough reason to kill some one. Who says life is cheap here huh.

why don't you verify the price before getting on the bike?

What has a religion go to do with a murder ? You must be so bitter inside ! When Catholics kill it's not about religion is it.. What a forum.. Get a life !

It appears you missed his point. My take away from what he said was that with Buddist, they place greater emphasis on life whether it's a cricket, a bug and all the way up the life chain. Thai Buddhist are generally peaceful and make an attempt to be peaceful and not show anger. Frankly I wasn't taught that way growing up as a Catholic. So, I don't think his comments were meant to have you get upset enough to make a condensending remark unless of course you have something against other religions.