Best Thai Restaurants with (full) English menus

leonardjones625

Hi,

First off, I'm in the Mae Hia area, so suggestions not too far from there appreciated.

However, I can drive my scoot anywhere...

The question: What are some of the Thai restaurants out there that provide higher quality than average food, and also have a full menu with English translations.

Not just a list of the standard 5 items "farang" like to eat, while I see the Thai menu has all the good stuff

I'm looking for a place with high quality "regular" Thai food, with your soups, and basic stir frys, and good BEEF(!)/crispy pork

And I'm also looking for a som tam/larb shop with English menu and good food.

I still struggle with Thai, so that's why I need a full menu.

Thanks for any tips

Leonard -

Many years ago I learned to read Thai, certainly the best way to acquire a reasonable knowledge of the language.

However since that time just about the only occasions I find to read Thai tend to be signs and menus, as there is no substantial literature to speak of. In other words, it's a time-consuming business to learn to read Thai menus, and many small Thai restaurants won't have a menu that's in English.

Perhaps you might try memorizing the Thai names and pronunciation of your favourite Thai dishes? It would save you a lot of time, and you could memorise a whole cookbook of dishes in Thai before small and medium Thai restaurants introduce extensive English menus.

Leonard -

Many years ago I learned to read Thai, certainly the best way to acquire a reasonable knowledge of the language.

However since that time just about the only occasions I find to read Thai tend to be signs and menus, as there is no substantial literature to speak of. In other words, it's a time-consuming business to learn to read Thai menus, and many small Thai restaurants won't have a menu that's in English.

Perhaps you might try memorizing the Thai names and pronunciation of your favourite Thai dishes? It would save you a lot of time, and you could memorise a whole cookbook of dishes in Thai before small and medium Thai restaurants introduce extensive English menus.

Or...if you carry a smart phone, look up the dishes you like, translate the names via an online translator, such as Google, then copy/paste both the phonetic English and the correct Thai into a text file or or RTF document.

Just drop that onto your phone, and show the restaurant staff - simples!

Leonard -

Or...if you carry a smart phone, look up the dishes you like, translate the names via an online translator, such as Google, then copy/paste both the phonetic English and the correct Thai into a text file or or RTF document.

Thanks haha, I actually was thinking about doing that. My pronunciation is so shit they can't understand me.

Thai Talking Food Menu is a great app. It shows a picture of the dish, shows the name in English & Thai, and you can have it speak the dish in Thai. It also teaches you the Thai for various food types.

I use a App that I call teelak!

It's interactive (except on bad days). Trouble is I always end up with the food that the App wants.

Edited by SantiSuk