Ali dead but Thai TV makes "The Greatest" howler yet

webfact

A two second Google in the news backroom would have shown a zillion photos of the guy...rolleyes.gif

As for the "funny" comment, if it were YOUR dead famous father would it still be funny..?

He was just a brain damaged boxer few had heard of in Thailand, not a world leader or great scientist. At least Ali had a sense of humor, when he could still laugh.

Edited by thai3

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A two second Google in the news backroom would have shown a zillion photos of the guy...rolleyes.gif

As for the "funny" comment, if it were YOUR dead famous father would it still be funny..?

He was just a brain damaged boxer few had heard of in Thailand, not a world leader or great scientist. At least Ali had a sense of humor, when he could still laugh.

But he's 100 times more famous than anything or anyone that has ever or will ever come out of Thailand...

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this and there's possibly some posters who may not like it but consider the outrage if the roles had been reversed and the wrong photo of a Thai screened.

I'm sure the diplomatic mission of the ' offending ' country would have had almost instant protests outside with Thai nationalists demanding all sorts of retribution.

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this and there's possibly some posters who may not like it but consider the outrage if the roles had been reversed and the wrong photo of a Thai screened.

I'm sure the diplomatic mission of the ' offending ' country would have had almost instant protests outside with Thai nationalists demanding all sorts of retribution.

I very much doubt it. Since when did Thai people start giving a shit about how things are reported outside Thailand? Who protests over a simple photo mix up, anyway?

Don't be silly.

RIP Ali.

I blame Thaksin, he's always behind everything, we all know it, or at least some people like to claim he is.whistling.gif

Actually, in a way he is responsible. He came to office with a powerful mandate and the chance to reform education. Yet in his first 3 years in power, he had 5 education ministers, including himself. So yes, blame Thaksin - one of a long line of failed and should-be-pilloried-and-reviled education ministers.

I very much doubt it. Since when did Thai people start giving a shit about how things are reported outside Thailand? Who protests over a simple photo mix up, anyway?

Don't be silly.

So a mix up involving a Thai wouldn't get reported here, wouldn't be treated as an insult and wouldn't provoke a reaction ?

Who's being silly ?

How come most of the planet knows who he is....?

Precisely - one obit I read mentioned how Ali's picture could be found on the walls of mud huts in the middle of the Serengeti. Probably also in Niaqornat and Motuo County ..... (Google them - I did, very interesting)

It's very cute to hear my little buddy pronounce "Muhammad Ali" with the Thai accent. Actually she does very well with it. Not at all easy for them.

I had her have a go at "ventriloquist" the other day. That turned into a dogs breakfast but I gave her full marks for the effort.

Edited by bluebluewater

Here's an bit of info about the man who was "just a brain-damaged boxer" :

Continuing a mission that he began during his boxing career by holding fights in such countries as Zahir and the Philippines, Ali has done extensive charity work to champion the causes of developing nations. He has also done much to support charities in the United States, visiting soup kitchens and hospitals, helping such organizations as the Make-a-Wish-Foundation and the Special Olympics, and advocating laws to help protect children. Ever the controversial figure, Ali has made goodwill missions to such pariah nations as Afghanistan, North Korea, and Cuba, and during the Gulf War traveled to Iraq to negotiate the release of American hostages.

For both his achievements as an athlete and his charitable work since his retirement, Muhammad Ali has received countless honors and awards. During the opening ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics he was chosen to light the Olympic flame; in 1998 he received the United Nations Messenger of Peace award; in 1999 Sports Illustrated and the BBC named him Sportsman of the Century; and in 2005 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. In 1999, decades after Muhammad Ali won his first heavyweight title...

are you surprised? when Mandela died I mentioned it to a Thai teacher (Masters Degree in English) who said "who's he"?

they simply know very, very little outside of their 'bubble' and they are trained to stay that way

Exactly

Try finding a Thai who can put a name to a photo of Hitler

Outside of Thailand its a case of 'there be dragons' and best not to know anything about it

We probably all look the same to a Thai?

Maybe some Thais think or say that... Like some whites, that say Asians and Blacks all look alike.

But in this case, in wasn't like he picked a random black guy.

He picked Will Smith that played the part of Mohammad Ali.

So, it appears your theory that "we" all look the same to a Thai..

Is not only ignorant, but would be wrong, since the guy may have actually thought Will Smith was Ali..

Anyway... Whatever he thought, there is no excuse for that type of mistake..

We probably all look the same to a Thai?

Really? Black men look like white men? I think even the dumbest Thai numpty would be able to suss that one out. What have you been smoking?
Just trying to be racially correct, and fyi I don't smoke, maybe if you stopped you might get your brain working again.

post-195509-0-69972900-1465269110_thumb.

Lets all be honest,Thais neither know shit or care shit about anything not Thai

Yep, this distinguishes them from Western people that meddle in everything even if it concerns them a shit and they know shit about it. whistling.gif

Not only did the news researcher not know what Ali looked like, he/she also did not recognise Will Smith, one of the biggest names in Hollywood for the past 20 years.

Surely "someone" should have seen the error before it was broadcast!?

Best thing to do is apologise, nothing else the news reader can do really.

Loss of face situation? Absolutely. I can imagine that the people in the office will all be saying things like "I dunno" and making any excuse possible to avert blame, because whatever happens don't admit blame, as long as you don't admit it no loss of face no matter how much you lie,, pathetic.

Very sad news about Ali, he really was such an incredible influential man in boxing and indeed any sport.