Buying a Crock Pot in Chiang Mai

westbounder

Makro also stock one that has a stoneware type pot inside. Not expensive at around 1000 baht. 3 heat settings...low, high and auto. Great for soups and stews.

The pot is good enough to be used as a serving dish thus less cleaning up.

Edited by CMKiwi

I just bought a 4.5 liter Slow Cooker Ceramic Crock Pot at KSK last week, third floor, rear. Same brand as advertised by Lazada, but in a good middle size that Lazada didn't offer. I wanted one that would hold about 4-5 meals. I paid 880 baht for it. It's not programmable but I did NOT want that feature. The controls are 'Off, Low, High, and Auto.' I have a Rogan Josh cooking in it right now. Last week I made a Carolina-style BBQ'd Pulled Pork, and a Cajun Chicken Gumbo. Size is right and it works like a dream!

I bought an Otto ceramic slow cooker last year and am pleased with it. I had to visit several stores in Chiang Mai before finding one, as Thais don't have much use for such a device. Bought it at Central Festival...it was the only one in stock.

I just bought a 4.5 liter Slow Cooker Ceramic Crock Pot at KSK last week, third floor, rear. Same brand as advertised by Lazada, but in a good middle size that Lazada didn't offer. I wanted one that would hold about 4-5 meals. I paid 880 baht for it. It's not programmable but I did NOT want that feature. The controls are 'Off, Low, High, and Auto.' I have a Rogan Josh cooking in it right now. Last week I made a Carolina-style BBQ'd Pulled Pork, and a Cajun Chicken Gumbo. Size is right and it works like a dream!

I'll second that. Central KSK.

Sounds like you have the same model as me. (I still haven't figured out <deleted> "Auto" means!). I got mine at Central Airport approximately 3.5+ years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. Very reliable!

-Mestizo

Sounds like you have the same model as me. (I still haven't figured out <deleted> "Auto" means!). I got mine at Central Airport approximately 3.5+ years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. Very reliable!

-Mestizo

For what it's worth, I don't have a clue either..... :)

'Auto' means that after it reaches the maximum temperature on high it then automatically switches to low.

Thanks for the info! Do you 'why' we would want to use this feature?

I thought the idea of a 'slow cooker' was to cook slowly. The slower meats cook, the more tender they become as the collagen breaks down. With high heat, the collagen solidifies which is fine for more tender cuts, but who would use tender cuts in a slow cooker to begin with! LOL!

Makro also stock one that has a stoneware type pot inside. Not expensive at around 1000 baht. 3 heat settings...low, high and auto. Great for soups and stews.

The pot is good enough to be used as a serving dish thus less cleaning up.

I was in Makro on the super highway the other day and they had only one. It was a stoneware pot. But the lid did not fit that great so I left it. I used to make soup in them or stew. I would eat a meal and just throw some more items in the pot. I always kept it on low heat and it always gave me a good tasting meal. I see no need for any setting other than low, normal and high.

I had bought a stoneware crook pot at Makro, but preferred the large non-stick rice cooker I bought at the kitchen supply store on Lamphun road. It was a little larger than the crock pot, had an infinite temperature control, but the biggest advantage was I could first brown the meat, and/or sauces, right in the cooker, than set it for anything from a 4 hour to 12 hour cooking time. I used that cooker for 5 years and the non-stick was still in great shape. Making everything from curries, chili, stews, pastas, borscht, and an endless array of one pot meals. This rice cooker did cost somewhere around 3000 Baht yet never cooked just rice.

Cheers

'Auto' means that after it reaches the maximum temperature on high it then automatically switches to low.

I thought the idea of a 'slow cooker' was to cook slowly. The slower meats cook, the more tender they become as the collagen breaks down. With high heat, the collagen solidifies which is fine for more tender cuts, but who would use tender cuts in a slow cooker to begin with! LOL!

Sounds like the same one as me too thumbsup.gif , bought an Otto at KSK.

I got a big one as we are a family of 7 with 4 growing boys (not incl. me with a growing waistline) and it's great to quickly put together a entree by filling with meat and seasoning and letting it do it's thing.

Such as a dozen chicken legs and I also do pulled pork which comes out as good as any other method I've used with much less effort.

The Auto function is for a quicker recover time, it will bring the ingredients incl. the cooking liquid and cold meat to cooking temp quicker and then will prepare the meats on low (most fresh veg don't work to well in a crock pot).

This can save an hour of warming up time with the meats being in the danger zone.

It will not cook quickly on high just get to there quicker and to cook low and slow.

So get out your crock pots boys and girls and

On your mark

Get set

Cook slow!

Sounds like the same one as me too thumbsup.gif , bought an Otto at KSK.

..................................................................................

It will not cook quickly on high just get to there quicker and to cook low and slow.

The brand name of the one I bought is 'Hanabishi,' rather than Otto, but with the simplicity of the electrics, doubtful if there is much differnce.

Thanks for the explanation of the Auto function. That does make sense.

It really is nice not to always have to spend an hour in the kitchen before eating making the meal. Put everything into the pot in the morning, turn it on, and just ladle it out at the end of the day!

Of course this is based on the assumption that my assumptions are right wink.png

As I have none, I may as well borrow yours. And that way, if they are wrong, I can say 'Hey! Dat's what he said!'

I used to use a slow cooker a lot when we lived in Japan as the cost of 'good' cuts of beef was very expensive. (Steak and roasts at $200 for 400gm) A slow cooker will take shoe leather and turn it into tender edibles... If you like the taste of shoes, that is. Use enough garlic and even hiking boots can be turned into a gourmet meal!

Edited by FolkGuitar

-Mestizo

I think I also have the same model... I also bought it at Central last year just before Christmas... It was on sale and I think I paid less than 500 baht as there were other models that was near 2k baht. I've used it many times and it works great.... Makes a killer green chili.......

-Mestizo

I think I also have the same model... I also bought it at Central last year just before Christmas... It was on sale and I think I paid less than 500 baht as there were other models that was near 2k baht. I've used it many times and it works great.... Makes a killer green chili.......

There were several models of this same brand, but with smaller capacity that were as low as 390 baht. I think that one might have been 1.5 liter. And they had one model that was really large (6 liter?) too, but that was too big for my needs. I read somewhere that a 3L model will make one dinner for a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids.) I wanted something that would allow me to have 2-3 adult-sized meals left over after two of us (adults) had a good meal. I like to keep 5-6 frozen meals in the fridge for emergencies.

Where do you get tomatillos here in Chiang Mai to make this? Or do you just substitute green tomatoes and lime juice?

Where do you get tomatillos here in Chiang Mai to make this? Or do you just substitute green tomatoes and lime juice?

I really haven't looked around for any tomatillos so I couldn't say. I have always used green tomatoes even when making it back home. I generally make a batch of green chili sauce to use in making my awesome breakfast burritos...