Two suspects are detained following shooting at Tel Aviv shopping centre

webfact

Two suspects are detained following shooting at Tel Aviv shopping centre

606x341_335080.jpg

TEL AVIVI: -- Israeli police have arrested two suspected gunmen in connection with a shooting at a shopping centre in Tel Aviv.

At least four people died in the attack and several more more were injured.
The incident took place Wednesday evening at Sarona Market, which lies opposite an Israeli defence ministry building.

Witnesses say both the gunmen who are thought to be Palestinians, opened fire outside the open-air shopping complex. One of the suspected attackers was wounded when he was detained.

Israeli media have identified the suspects as cousins from a village near Hebron in the West Bank.

The shooting is one of the most serious assaults in Israel’s business and entertainment capital since a wave of Palestinian violence began eight months ago.

Since then Palestinians have killed 31 Israelis and two visiting US citizens. Israeli forces have shot dead at least 196 Palestinians.

The frequency of Palestinian attacks which have included stabbings, car rammings and shootings have lessened recently.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-09

Palestinian gunmen kill 4 Israelis in Tel Aviv, 5 wounded
By IAN DEITCH

JERUSALEM (AP) — Two Palestinians opened fire near a popular open-air market in central Tel Aviv on Wednesday night, killing four Israelis and wounding at least five others in one of the deadliest attacks in an eight-month wave of violence.

The shooting occurred at the Sarona market, a series of restored buildings that have been transformed into a popular tourist spot filled with crowded shops and restaurants. The complex is across the street from Israel's military headquarters and is often filled with tourists and young soldiers in uniform.

"Two terrorists opened fire at civilians," Tel Aviv district police commander Moshe Edri said, adding that one of the detained attackers was being treated for a gunfire wound.

Police had initially said there might be a third attacker but later ruled that out after extensive searches and examining security camera footage.

Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital said the four slain Israelis had been brought to the facility in critical condition and later died of their wounds.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with his defense minister and security leaders shortly after the attack and then traveled to the scene. He called the attack a "cold blooded murder by despicable terrorists," according to a statement from his office.

Hamas, the Islamic militant group that rules Gaza, welcomed the attack but did not claim responsibility for it. Hamas official Mushir al-Masri called the shootings a "heroic operation" and the group later issued an official statement promising the "Zionists" more "surprises" during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Meital Sassi told Channel 10 TV she was out with her family celebrating her son's birthday at the Sarona market when she heard shots and "immediately understood it was a terror attack."

"We ran like lighting with the baby and the stroller," she said. "I yelled at people who didn't understand what was happening to run."

Channel 10 aired CCTV footage from inside a restaurant showing two men in suits shooting at diners as they run away from their tables. One of the attackers shoots a man on the ground and waves a knife before running out.

Shlomi Hajaj, director of the market, told the station that security guards at the entrance prevented the attackers from entering, "averting a bigger disaster" as the market was packed with people.

Police said the two gunmen were members of the same family from the Palestinian village of Yatta, near the West Bank town of Hebron, which has been a flashpoint for violence in recent months.

Over the last eight months Palestinians have carried out dozens of attacks on civilians and security forces, mostly stabbings, shootings and car ramming assaults that have killed 32 Israelis and two Americans. About 200 Palestinians have been killed during that time, most identified as attackers by Israel. The assaults were once near-daily incidents but they have become less frequent in recent weeks.

Most of the attacks have been in east Jerusalem or the West Bank, territories Israel seized from Jordan in the 1967 war which the Palestinians want for their future state.

But Tel Aviv, Israel's most cosmopolitan city, has not been spared.

A member of Israel's Arab minority went on a shooting rampage on New Year's Day, killing three people. And in March a Palestinian went on stabbing spree, killing an American and wounding 7 other people before he was shot and killed.

U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner condemned the "horrific terrorist attack" in a statement, saying "cowardly attacks against innocent civilians can never be justified."

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement he was shocked that Hamas leaders "chose to welcome this attack."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-09

And again, the BBC has described the carnage of innocent dinners as an " Incident " and CNN

has called them ' Terrorists ' implying that this is over reaction by the Israelis,

with such bias and distorted reporting from world's media, no wonder the world gets it's askew

knowledge of what is really going on in the middle east seriously?......

News about Tel Aviv.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TelAviv?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hamas calls these terrorists heroes:

UPDATE: Hamas leader Haniyeh praises the #TelAviv attackers as “Heroes”.

People making excuses for this terrorist attack are saying consider the CONTEXT:

People asking "what's the context" for #TelAviv shooting: The victims were drinking coffee. There's your bloody context.

News about Tel Aviv.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TelAviv?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hamas calls these terrorists heroes:

UPDATE: Hamas leader Haniyeh praises the #TelAviv attackers as “Heroes”.

People making excuses for this terrorist attack are saying consider the CONTEXT:

People asking "what's the context" for #TelAviv shooting: The victims were drinking coffee. There's your bloody context.

Nothing justifies this murder, but I just wish the Israelis would be a little more clear. You know, like "The victims were drinking coffee in Occupied Hebron" or something like that.

Not being picky, but there is also your bloody context.

^I'll correct that because I misread the report, but my point stands: They are exacerbating this problem by being where they are not supposed to be.

Added: Here we go again:

Israel’s Army Radio reported on Thursday that Mr Netanyahu had said Israel would take “several offensive and defensive measures” to deal with the shootings.

Hamas officials praised the shooting, and warned of more attacks on Israelis, but stopped short of claiming responsibility for it. Hussam Badran, a spokesperson for Hamas based in Qatar, called the shooting a “heroic operation” and warned that Israel should expect “further surprises during the month of Ramadan”.

sad.png

Edited by Chicog

The Palestinian glee club will be along shortly trying to justify this terrorism.

There are people who are incredibly well versed in both sides of the conflict who post regularly on the many threads on TV about the Israel-Palestine conflict. I don't recall ever seeing any of those regular contributors who have sympathies with the Palestinians offer anything that could be construed as even remotely positive in relation to any attacks on Israelis. Of course there are nutters, trolls, anti-semites who pop up now and again - sadly that is the world and the age we live in, but they do not define the mainstream. On the other hand, there are Israeli supporters on TV whom I could mention, who routinely show complete and utter disregard for any Palestinian lives affected by the conflict, but don't let that cloud your cute little soundbite.

Sorry for the victims:(

But is this attack surprising?

All those land stealing from israel and oppression.

These innocent dead people are the result of Israeli politics. And still some palestinian land is being stolen while we are speaking and such horrible actions are result of it.

And it is ironic that attack occured on the land does not belong to Israel actually.

Israeli citizens need to think. Does their fascist government powered by Bibi, Avigdor and like doing a good job by allowing land stealing and oppression and embargo and extrajudicial killings and phosphorus bombings resulting on death of innocent Israeli people?

Edited by Galactus

The Palestinian glee club will be along shortly trying to justify this terrorism.

There are people who are incredibly well versed in both sides of the conflict who post regularly on the many threads on TV about the Israel-Palestine conflict. I don't recall ever seeing any of those regular contributors who have sympathies with the Palestinians offer anything that could be construed as even remotely positive in relation to any attacks on Israelis. Of course there are nutters, trolls, anti-semites who pop up now and again - sadly that is the world and the age we live in, but they do not define the mainstream. On the other hand, there are Israeli supporters on TV whom I could mention, who routinely show complete and utter disregard for any Palestinian lives affected by the conflict, but don't let that cloud your cute little soundbite.

We're either reading different topics, or some serious selective reading is applied. Palestinian violence aimed at Israeli civilians is often justified by "regular contributors", no matter how vile, or how senseless. And yes, there were also instances of glee.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Morch

Sorry for the victims:(

But is this attack surprising?

All those land stealing from israel and oppression.

These innocent dead people are the result of Israeli politics. And still some palestinian land is being stolen while we are speaking and such horrible actions are result of it.

And it is ironic that attack occured on the land does not belong to Israel actually.

Israeli citizens need to think. Does their fascist government powered by Bibi, Avigdor and like doing a good job by allowing land stealing and oppression and embargo and extrajudicial killings and phosphorus bombings resulting on death of innocent Israeli people?

They are dead because those Palestinians shot them. There are many non-violent ways to oppose an occupation, shooting civilians is not one of them.

The attack happened at Tel Aviv....how does "on the land does not belong to Israel actually" apply?

We're either reading different topics, or some serious selective reading is applied. Palestinian violence aimed at Israeli civilians is often justified by "regular contributors", no matter how vile, or how senseless. And yes, there were also instances of glee.

coffee1.gif

I will be the first to hold my hand up and admit that yours and my views are probably affected by different prisms, but when I think of the more regularly posting Palestinian sympathisers, I can honestly state that, to my reckoning, they have never glorified any act of terror against Israel. The general response is one of resigned gloom at the never-ending spiral of attack and counter attack.

There are, of course, the short-lived posters who tried to post some BS to that effect and are rightly castigated from all sides - glee is the speciality of the drive-by troll. But then again, there are many websites today that specifically mock Rachel Corrie and others - you see, nasty people are not the preserve of any one side.

So do you condemn this attack then?

I think we can all agree in condemning it.

Incidents of horrific cold-blooded murder have characterized the Israel/Palestine conflict from the beginning.

Both sides have blood on their hands.

To demonize one, and set the other one up as a paragon of virtue is ridiculous.

It is a propaganda ploy, pure and simple... Orwell's Big Brother and Emmanuel Goldstein promoting a perpetual state of war so that they can stay in power.

I would like to think that it went without saying, as it probably does for most people - I am not the sort to change my Facebook photo for each attrocity that comes along, however I can assure you that, as with each and every tragic loss of life, I see this as a tragedy that should never have happened, and I feel, I am sure, the same sadness that most people who are not related to the victims feel.

coffee1.gif

I will be the first to hold my hand up and admit that yours and my views are probably affected by different prisms, but when I think of the more regularly posting Palestinian sympathisers, I can honestly state that, to my reckoning, they have never glorified any act of terror against Israel. The general response is one of resigned gloom at the never-ending spiral of attack and counter attack.

There are, of course, the short-lived posters who tried to post some BS to that effect and are rightly castigated from all sides - glee is the speciality of the drive-by troll. But then again, there are many websites today that specifically mock Rachel Corrie and others - you see, nasty people are not the preserve of any one side.

I do not doubt your belief in your own reckoning, but its accuracy. There were numerous instances where such attacks were tagged as "freedom fighting", justified by reference to general Israeli policies and the occasional had-it-coming/what-do-they-expect bits. Little to do with short-lived posters, and absolutely nothing to do with other, non-TVF websites allegedly dedicated to mock Rachel Corrie.

coffee1.gif

I do not doubt your belief in your own reckoning, but its accuracy. There were numerous instances where such attacks were tagged as "freedom fighting", justified by reference to general Israeli policies and the occasional had-it-coming/what-do-they-expect bits. Little to do with short-lived posters, and absolutely nothing to do with other, non-TVF websites allegedly dedicated to mock Rachel Corrie.

You are welcome to your doubts, and whether you agree with me is irrelevant, but exploring cause and effect is not tantamount to condoning acts of violence or terrorism.

As for my Rachel Corrie point (I notice that you try to dismiss it by writing 'allegedly' - why not Google Rachel Corrie and Pancake and you will see the obscene hatred oozing from the Israeli right-wing and their sympathisers) I made it to point out that reprehensible people are prevalant on both sides of the debate. Your writing 'allegedly' doesn't make that fact disappear.

No, it isn't.

Here are a few pointers why:

Fisk premise is that the attack was a calculated attempt to provoke Lieberman. Considering Lieberman assumed his office a mere 9 days previous to the attack, it is highly unlikely that the two events are related. This sort of attack takes a bit more than picking up a knife and stabbing someone. There were similar attacks in the past, when other Ministers of Defense were in charge, describing it as a personal message sort of thing does not account for that.

The main story is Palestinian terrorists murder innocent civilians? Nah...let make the headline into Lieberman being the "blood thirsty" party. "Ever since Avigdor Lieberman was appointed to his new post by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the world – and especially the Palestinians – have waited to see if he would fulfill the bloodthirsty threats he made during Israel’s 2015 election" - Lieberman first major action in office was to affirm equal rights for bereaved gay couples, the second was a mass approval of Palestinian travel permits for the Ramadan. As for "had it been uttered by a Palestinian leader about Israelis – would have brought world condemnation upon the Palestinians" - similar things were said by Palestinian leaders in the past, usually without much world condemnation beyond the usual mumbling. Them pesky facts again.

And that's from someone preaching about accuracy in journalism...

Can go on, but why bother. Look up Fisking.

einous the better. Mortar attacks at civilian areas are good, but body counts are better - especially civilians.

2. The Israeli government is forced to respond to ensure the people feel safe - the worse the terror attack the stronger the response.

3. The more people that die in the Israeli response the better for Hamas as they use it for political credit.

Hamas will happily sacrifice Palestinian lives to win the political war.

oh dear .. why just ignore facts .. liberman's first order after getting the defence ministry was to open the borders to 82000 palestinians for ramadan .. now after the attack he has rescinded the order
oh dear .. why just ignore facts .. liberman's first order after getting the defence ministry was to open the borders to 82000 palestinians for ramadan .. now after the attack he has rescinded the order

coffee1.gif

You are welcome to your doubts, and whether you agree with me is irrelevant, but exploring cause and effect is not tantamount to condoning acts of violence or terrorism.

As for my Rachel Corrie point (I notice that you try to dismiss it by writing 'allegedly' - why not Google Rachel Corrie and Pancake and you will see the obscene hatred oozing from the Israeli right-wing and their sympathisers) I made it to point out that reprehensible people are prevalant on both sides of the debate. Your writing 'allegedly' doesn't make that fact disappear.

My disagreement is relevant in as much as you claim an alternate reality (with reference to posts and posters on this forum). Read my posts again, nowhere did I say anything against exploring causes and effects, that's your own addition. Calling perpetrators "freedom fighters", justifications absolving them of all responsibility for choosing violence, and the gloating sometimes expressed - these aren't explorations of anything but hatred. Denying they happened and that they exist is futile.

I dismiss your Rachel Corrie reference as irrelevant because it does not relate to posts on TVF. Hence, I did not even counter by referring to the multitude of websites where offensive virulent "criticism" of Israel is on offer. The "alleged" was simply due to not intending to check up on irrelevant claims. I wouldn't be surprised if such websites exists, though, bigots and idiots are everywhere.

No, it isn't.

Here are a few pointers why:

Fisk premise is that the attack was a calculated attempt to provoke Lieberman. Considering Lieberman assumed his office a mere 9 days previous to the attack, it is highly unlikely that the two events are related. This sort of attack takes a bit more than picking up a knife and stabbing someone. There were similar attacks in the past, when other Ministers of Defense were in charge, describing it as a personal message sort of thing does not account for that.

The main story is Palestinian terrorists murder innocent civilians? Nah...let make the headline into Lieberman being the "blood thirsty" party. "Ever since Avigdor Lieberman was appointed to his new post by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the world – and especially the Palestinians – have waited to see if he would fulfill the bloodthirsty threats he made during Israel’s 2015 election" - Lieberman first major action in office was to affirm equal rights for bereaved gay couples, the second was a mass approval of Palestinian travel permits for the Ramadan. As for "had it been uttered by a Palestinian leader about Israelis – would have brought world condemnation upon the Palestinians" - similar things were said by Palestinian leaders in the past, usually without much world condemnation beyond the usual mumbling. Them pesky facts again.

And that's from someone preaching about accuracy in journalism...

Can go on, but why bother. Look up Fisking.

einous the better. Mortar attacks at civilian areas are good, but body counts are better - especially civilians.

2. The Israeli government is forced to respond to ensure the people feel safe - the worse the terror attack the stronger the response.

3. The more people that die in the Israeli response the better for Hamas as they use it for political credit.

Hamas will happily sacrifice Palestinian lives to win the political war.

Robert Fisk is a credible source of information.

He holds more British and international journalism awards than any other foreign correspondent, and has been British International Journalist of the Year seven times.

I looked up ​"Fisking" ​but couldn't find a thing. Maybe you could provide a link.

Remembering one of the murder victims of the Palestinian terrorists, MICHAEL FEIGE, an important Israeli academic. Rather an ironic hit considering his subject areas.

Dr. Michael Feige spent his career writing and lecturing about the effects of war and terrorism on the Israeli psyche, casting his analytic and critical academic eye on groups as diverse as the settler movement and Peace Now activists.

He surely never dreamed that he would be remembered not as an expert observer of Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but as its victim.

Read more: http://forward.com/news/342372/scholar-of-mideast-conflict-becomes-its-latest-heartbreaking-victim-in-tel/#ixzz4BAErtDk8