Thai police…starting to impress you as well?

Gecko123

I've been following Thai crime beat news reports for a while now (mainly Channel 7, Sanook News and ThaiRath News.)

Lately, I've been impressed with the speed of some of the arrests which have been made. For example, they caught that 19 year old guy who stabbed an engineer during a motorcycle-jacking-gone-bad in Ladprao last week. After the attack, the guy just melted into a busy crowd. I thought to myself, how are they ever going to catch that guy? But they did. Less than a week later, they tracked him down, hiding out in the woods near his family home in Nakhon Ratchasima. I thought that was some pretty impressive police work.

Thai police do seem to be using CCTV footage, cell phone video, social media, anonymous tips, DNA, trace evidence, and fingerprints to solve crimes more effectively these days.

Anyone else out there think the Thai police deserve more respect than they receive?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To much in the red column and not enough in the black.

To much corruption as seen just yesterday with the massage parlour raid and this the headlines we see nearly everyday.

Preaching road safety while their own police force can't even get the basics right and put a helmet on.

The ongoing Koh Tao saga.

Even in today's news a cop tries to get fines paid into his personal bank account.

They have their moments but so many fingers in the pie allows the true Mr Bigs to just continue on.

So I'm in the no camp.

Too much corruption as seen just yesterday with the massage parlour raid and this the headlines we see nearly everyday.

I'm familiar with this case. Police receive tip that prostitution is being conducted in a massage parlor and raid it. Where's the corruption you alluded to?

Too much corruption as seen just yesterday with the massage parlour raid and this the headlines we see nearly everyday.

I'm familiar with this case. Police receive tip that prostitution is being conducted in a massage parlor and raid it. Where's the corruption you alluded to?

the clue is here Police receive tip NOT

Window Dressing - as usual.Policing,law enforcement (or lack thereof) is an endemic problem and needs a major overhaul. Small carrot, big stick for law enforcement, more police on the beat, better pay for police, completely new system of recruiting and training police, merit-based system of promotion, just to begin with. Generational change. Don't read too much into the propaganda that gets peddled out.

Can we focus on the question of whether or not people have noticed that the police have become more efficient in tracking down criminals?

The BIB-good vs. BIB-bad debate has been done to death on past threads.

Can we focus on the question of whether or not people have noticed that the police have become more efficient in tracking down criminals?

You started it.

Thailand gets the police service it designed.

At its very foundation it was provided with no operating budget, this was to be obtained from fines and penalties the newly formed police force levied on those it policed.

Those it policed are of course the poor and powerless - because it has been set up that way.

The OP's observation is however founded on a truth, the police can act effectively ( almost always when the perp is poor but occassionaly when protection is 'removed' from the wealthy/connected).

But there is something else, behind the disgraceful and very rightly criticised behaviour of the police in such cases as Kho Toa, the investigation of the murdering police officers children and many others there are officers who do a good job, there are plenty of officers who deal with and witness things the rest of us hope we never have to see and there are officers who die in the line of duty.

Thailand's police force was established to meet the ends of the rich and powerful, Thailand has changed and the police force needs to change.

The people of Thailand deserve a better police force and so too do those officers who do their best in a very difficult police culture and despite what they see or the very real risks they face.

Put my tick in the 'glimmer of hope box'.

Edited by GuestHouse

"he OP's observation is however founded on a truth, the police can act effectively ( almost always when the perp is poor but occassionaly when protection is 'temoved' from the wealthy/connected)." - so no change there ...therefore not starting to impress.

"he OP's observation is however founded on a truth, the police can act effectively ( almost always when the perp is poor but occassionaly when protection is 'temoved' from the wealthy/connected)." - so no change there ...therefore not starting to impress.

You could of couse put that to the test by breaking the law and then paying yourself out of trouble.

Many moons ago, Amnesty International (I think) and other human rights groups said at least 50% of people in Thailand's jails were innocent - they had been falsely arrested by the police who wanted "quick" results. Earlier this year, another report suggested as much as 63% (hmmm - that's a pretty precise figure????) of inmates were stitched up.

Gecko123, I think you might find some answers in those figures above. Not saying the cops can't catch a crim when they need to. It's just that few believe they do so out of a philosophical bent to protect and serve.

How about the list of names of the police that were being paid by said establishment.

Many moons ago, Amnesty International (I think) and other human rights groups said at least 50% of people in Thailand's jails were innocent - they had been falsely arrested by the police who wanted "quick" results. Earlier this year, another report suggested as much as 63% (hmmm - that's a pretty precise figure????) of inmates were stitched up.

Gecko123, I think you might find some answers in those figures above. Not saying the cops can't catch a crim when they need to. It's just that few believe they do so out of a philosophical bent to protect and serve.

After 20 minutes of Google searches, I cannot find anything which even remotely supports the outrageous statistics you cited above. Help?

I have to admit that after reading that several high ranking cops were suspended after their names were found in a bribe book at the brothel which was raided a few days ago, perhaps, my OP may have been (ahem, cough, cough) a tad bit untimely.

But on the other hand, isn't it a sign of progress that such evidence of corruption was disclosed to the press and public?

The main point I was trying to get across was that due to the proliferation of CCTV cameras and the use of more sophisticated crime fighting tools, the police do seem to have become more proficient in solving crimes. That is not to say that there isn't always room for improvement in their professionalism.

Edited by Gecko123

Thailand gets the police service it designed.

At its very foundation it was provided with no operating budget, this was to be obtained from fines and penalties the newly formed police force levied on those it policed.

Those it policed are of course the poor and powerless - because it has been set up that way.

The OP's observation is however founded on a truth, the police can act effectively ( almost always when the perp is poor but occassionaly when protection is 'removed' from the wealthy/connected).

But there is something else, behind the disgraceful and very rightly criticised behaviour of the police in such cases as Kho Toa, the investigation of the murdering police officers children and many others there are officers who do a good job, there are plenty of officers who deal with and witness things the rest of us hope we never have to see and there are officers who die in the line of duty.

Thailand's police force was established to meet the ends of the rich and powerful, Thailand has changed and the police force needs to change.

The people of Thailand deserve a better police force and so too do those officers who do their best in a very difficult police culture and despite what they see or the very real risks they face.

Put my tick in the 'glimmer of hope box'.

This is much the same as the UK when the peelers were set up. Thailand's simply playing catch up.

" the police do seem to have become more proficient in solving crimes"

"more proficient" suggests they were already somewhat proficient to start with.

​Perhaps a more apt phrase would be "a little less worse than useless"

However; they would still have to improve year on year for the next decade to reach the status of raging buffoons