large aluminium framed window UV film options ?

ETatBKK

hi there

I am in a Bangkok moo baan and tyically we have large aluminium framed slide windows. heat and light are unbearable these days, and our window blinds are all day closed but still not the solution. I would like to put UV film on the windows, and I find too many material options.

first, I don't want 'mirror' film although they claim it is very effective; it is a bit 'offensive' in a moo baan setting.

we want blocking UV and heat, perhaps restricting some sight from the neighbour. other than 'tinting', what else we should consider, please advise !

cheers

If you are near Phra Khanong, Sukhumvit 71, there is a shop specializing in window film, mostly for autos but I have seen them applying film to plate glass so it can be done. I have considered the same as I have a 10' south facing window in my apartment.

The shop is immediately to the left of the Max Value shopping plaza as you face it on Suk. 71 between Soi 10 & 12

I had same problem and I contacted Solarkool who have many different choices, including the non mirror type. Certainly recommend them, A european guy came with the team of 4 guys, did excellent job.

thanks guys

yet I get confused the advertised choices of the film. there are different tinting levels ( light to dark ), different UV screening ( by percentage ), different visibility ( see-through both sides to see-through from inside ), different heat resistance ( light goes through but not hot ) . . . to different materials ( PC coated to ceramic coated ), and of course different pricing.

I won't able to get a clear picture the relationship of these benefits and the cost of these choices. any idea what they are ?

• 2 weeks later...

UV blocking itself doesn't block much heat. It's the other end of the light spectrum -- IR (infra-red) -- that transmits heat. Put your hand by a UV light. Then put your hand by an IR light. UV light is more of a problem of fading carpets, drapes, etc (and sunburns.)

Here is a YouTube video about a "Spectrally Selective Infrared-Blocking WIndow Film," a UV- and IR-blocking film that doesn't block the view with a heavy tint:

Heaven only knows where you'd find it in Thailand.

Edited by wpcoe

almost everyone points me to the car film ! yeah these things are very sophisticated and 'expensive' too ! after the homework I sorted out :

TSER total solar energy reflected, higher is more expensive, max 70%

VLT visible light transmittance, tinting yet seeing through, higher is more expensive

visible light reflectance, internal & external, lower is better, less a mirror

all products claim over 90% IR and UV blockage

popular suppliers are here :

Lamina, popular Thai car film brand with various product choices

Legend, also popular Thai car film brand with good choices

3M Crystalline, not so popular may be due to the price

also 3M residential sun control window film . . . yeah, where to find them !

Why not just replace the glass with a green energy glass.

It costs only 21bt/ft2 and fitting will be the same 21bt.

It claims to reduce heat by 30% and reflect light flare bby 70%.

From the outside it has slight green tint so no one can see in.....from the inside theglass looks just like normal clear.

I would wager its a lot cheaper than the reflective films