Hua Hin Zoo raided - animals taken away to sanctuaries

webfact

Hua Hin Zoo raided - animals taken away to sanctuaries

s1pm.jpg

Image: Thairath

HUA HIN: -- Wildlife officials including a national chief descended on Hua Hin Zoo Wednesday to take away a number of animals who they say were being kept there illegally.

Rescued were two tigers, two Asiatic black bears, 5 wild deer, one fresh water crocodile and one male and one female elephant.

Owner of the zoo Prakorp Chamnankit, 52, claimed that everything was above board but the investigators found evidence that the paperwork for the animals did not match their appearance. Both ages and descriptions were wrong reported Tharath.

The animals were taken away to sanctuaries in Petchburi, Ratburi and Chonburi where they could be looked after.

Chaiyawat Limlikhitaksorn chief of the national parks and wildlife authority led the raid along with local officials including the boss of the Kaeng Krachan National Park Mana Phermphoon.

The zoo, in Hin Lek Fai sub district of Hua Hin previously faced a court order for the removal of various kinds of animals including bears, squirrels, otters, peacocks and owls that were ruled to be there illegally.

The raid comes in the wake of heightened awareness of animal rights abuses with the "Tiger Temple" in Kanchanaburi dominating the news of the last week.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-09

this isn't really that far from the tiger temple - I wonder if te raids are linked or part of a new general policy? In which case the Thai authorities are going to have to house 1000s of animals - including the ones left at the Tiger Temple.....

I hope they don't end up like the 73 very rare Tortoises that were

confiscated,then move to wildlife sanctuary,then disappeared !

regards Worgeordie

So those crusty meat pies that I bought last week...............Oh no!

Well, these actions will never satisfy the Thai Visa judges, but at least it's a positive step forward!

The very idea that we still have things like zoos and sea-worlds in the 21st century is revealing of people's mentality. facepalm.gif

Hopefully they will visit Phuket Zoo and shut that down. Phuket for its size must have more attractions exploiting wildlife per square mile than anywhere else on earth. Besides the deplorable zoo we have monkey shows, crocodile shows, snake shows, tiger kingdom, dolphinarium not to mention the countless elephant rides, Phuket Fantasea, Siam Niramit and of course the many photographers offering photos with drugged up endangered species.

The saddest thing are the dumb tourists who keep it all going.

the elephant in the room - if you'll pardon the pun, is the Sri Racha tiger zoo, which without doubt is displaying animals in a way that suggests speed breeding which in turn suggests farming....let's see if the CEE4Life report extra nails any other places!

All these animals being sent away to sanctuaries which will eventually turn into zoos.

I suspect they will be overcrowded - and a lot of tigers etc will get sick and die - then the temple will turn round and say "See! You should have let us bottle them!"

the elephant in the room - if you'll pardon the pun, is the Sri Racha tiger zoo, which without doubt is displaying animals in a way that suggests speed breeding which in turn suggests farming....let's see if the CEE4Life report extra nails any other places!

I've posted on this before - they claim 400 tigers and there is strong evidence of links to the tiger trade.

this isn't really that far from the tiger temple - I wonder if te raids are linked or part of a new general policy? In which case the Thai authorities are going to have to house 1000s of animals - including the ones left at the Tiger Temple.....

You really need to improve your map reading skills!

You really need to improve your map reading skills!

..and you need to improve your geography - these 2 places are about 200km apart but the most significant point is that they are BOTH on the edge of the Western Forest complex - so animals could in theory be easily moved both between these places and across the border.

I've posted on this before - they claim 400 tigers and there is strong evidence of links to the tiger trade.

as they use Tiger Farming techniques quite openly, oner has to suspect that.

All these animals being sent away to sanctuaries which will eventually turn into zoos.

I suspect they will be overcrowded - and a lot of tigers etc will get sick and die - then the temple will turn round and say "See! You should have let us bottle them!"

Business opportunity - while the confusion is still going on, ship them off to China in little bottles....

Archived