What's going on near the railway station?

BonnieandClyde

It looks like a major demolition is taking place at the intersection of Tanon Roht Fai and Charoen Muang.

The whole corner opposite the station is being leveled.

Does anybody know what is being planned?

Any information would be appreciated.

Well what's happening at the old Big C Don Chan, old exhibition centre all gone and ground all nicely leveled, some mechanical digging around the entrance to the undercover parking on the left side of the front of the Big C building, garden shops all gone / relocated to another part of the site.

Anybody seen any announcements?

Slightly off topic but we might ask whats going on everywhere.Star Ave 5 on Hang Dong Rd, near turn off to Night Safari is about open.

Star Ave 6 & 7 advertising billboards showing new buildings further south are in development stage.

Have no idea who is going to fill all this space.Just see more and more local businesses either closing or re locating.

Slightly off topic but we might ask whats going on everywhere.Star Ave 5 on Hang Dong Rd, near turn off to Night Safari is about open.

Star Ave 6 & 7 advertising billboards showing new buildings further south are in development stage.

Have no idea who is going to fill all this space.Just see more and more local businesses either closing or re locating.

One of the last of the old wooden houses on Loi Kroh rd has now been demolished. It was near downunder bar and will become a condo. It was well-maintained and had a nice garden. The only one left is the small one near the girly bar area, an arty-crafty type shop on the left coming away from the moat. Progress?

One of the last of the old wooden houses on Loi Kroh rd has now been demolished. It was near downunder bar and will become a condo. It was well-maintained and had a nice garden. The only one left is the small one near the girly bar area, an arty-crafty type shop on the left coming away from the moat. Progress?

Damn what a waste, one of my favourite wood houses. It had that really nice textile store at the left side, has that relocated? I guess that has gone too as on same plot.

Damn what a waste, one of my favourite wood houses. It had that really nice textile store at the left side, has that relocated? I guess that has gone too as on same plot.

The textile store has closed after 25 years that I know of, I think it may have relocated, but for the time being, that building is still there, but probably on the wrecking-ball's path.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Finally the abandoned "Air America" hotel is going down.

If that was the one opposite the station, on Charoen Muang rd, it went years ago. The Bossotel is still there and isn't part of the re-development.

He may mean the old Poy Luang Hotel at the end of Charoen Muang on See Yak Nong Prateep.

Although I've never heard of any connection with the sinister Air America operations... many secrets may have died along with CIA hitman Bill Young.

In the late '70s the Poy Luang was the tallest building in Chiang Mai, but soon to be surpassed by the big hotels under construction on Huay Kaew a few years later.

The Poy Luang has stood derelict for over 20 years now as a Chiang Mai eyesore.

At one time there was talk of turning it into a hospital, but, like Huck Finn's dream ​"Nuffin' come of it."

Edited by JingerBen

I don't know how many times I wish that 7 years ago I had spent 2-3-4 days taking pictures of CM, and could then compare them to today. Massive differences in many places,

Mapjack.com did exactly that.

Fun to compare with Google StreetView now.

Spoiler alert: many places look a LOT better now.