Good tour agent in CM for Myanmar tour

neilrob

I would like to arrange a private tour in Myanmar, so we can choose where to go rather than going with some fixed tour. Does anyone have experience of a good tour agent in CM who is knowledgeable about Myanmar and can arrange such? The last time this topic was posted, a couple of years ago, there was little response. I'm hoping that someone has done such a trip since then and can recommend a good agent. Thanks for your help.

One of life's little coincidences - I was just, at this very minute, about to start a topic about visas for Myanmar, and the new Myanmar Consulate in Chiang Mai. Rather than start a new one, I hope it is okay to add it onto yours?

My question is, has anyone used the consulate for getting a visa, and if so, what was required and how much does it cost? I believe it involves leaving your passport with them for a few days too, is that right? Do Thais need a visa?

As regards to your question, I don't think it is necessary to book a guided tour anymore. I saw a deal for Airasia for flights to Yangon, booked that and then booked a hotel with Tripadvisor. It is just a short 4-day break for me and the missus, and hopefully an appetiser for future visits. I hear that Bagan and Inle Lake are worth a visit.

I believe you can get a visa at the airport on arrival now,

Bangkok Air,has some decent deals flying to Mandalay,

from CNX, not as cheap as AirAsia,but better.

Seen a documentary on the BBC,about this man following

in the footsteps of his father who was one of the Chindits

Special Forces,fighting the Japanese in Burma.

I have wanted to go there for quite some time now,so think

better make it this year,before my knees go !.

regards Worgeordie

You have been able to tour independently for years. I would not go with a tour myself.

However, I have information about being led around but by driving your own vehicle from Thailand. PM me if that interests you.

I believe you can get a visa at the airport on arrival now,

Bangkok Air,has some decent deals flying to Mandalay,

from CNX, not as cheap as AirAsia,but better.

Seen a documentary on the BBC,about this man following

in the footsteps of his father who was one of the Chindits

Special Forces,fighting the Japanese in Burma.

I have wanted to go there for quite some time now,so think

better make it this year,before my knees go !.

regards Worgeordie

I don't see anything about visa on arrival, but I did find the answer to my question here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k9062032-Myanmar_Consulate_in_Chiang_Mai_Thailand-Myanmar.html

There is an e-visa option too, as mentioned. A year or so ago, a friend was misled about visa on arrival* and Airasia wouldn't let him on the flight at BKK, as it is their responsibility to check, and they would be fined.

I got a great early-bird deal with Airasia, for about 5500b return.

* I know it wasn't you, so your off the hook!!

I went on such a tour years ago when it was all military ruled. I had hired a car with a driver in Mai Sia. It was a per day rate of 2,200 baht for him and the vehicle. I paid all expenses.

At the time the company I had gone through was a travel agent in Mai Sia called Monkey Island. All we had to do was tell him where we wanted to go and he did all the Visa work. There was several stops inside Burma where they checked us out. Once again he handled every thing. We went through to Monglar on the Chinese border.

That was many year's ago I don't know if they are still there. Also It was a more of where I wanted to go than a preset tour. You might have better luck looking around Mai Sia for a tour company or posting on the Chiang Rai forum.

good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I know that we can of course travel independently but I am interested in a private tour because of getting around in Burma. I want to specify where we go and when, similar to what Northern John describes, but fly in rather than drive across the border. I don't fancy driving from Thailand because of all I hear about the poor state of the roads. For the same reason, I do not fancy driving once I am there. I would like to fly in and then tour from there. That is why I am looking for an agent who is knowledgeable and able to set up all the arrangements in Myanmar.

• 2 months later...

I am following up on this topic because we just got back from a very good trip to Myanmar. I never did find the tour agent in CM whom I was looking for, but I did find an excellent one in Yangon called One Stop Travel & Tour---thoroughly recommended. They arranged the trip to our specifications and really great value. I am sure I never could have made the same arrangements for anything like the price. Good hotels (the high point being the wonderful Myanmar Treasure right in Inle Lake) and fine guides/drivers/boatmen.

Archived