Thailand's animal tourism under scrutiny after Tiger Temple raid

webfact

Thailand's animal tourism under scrutiny after Tiger Temple raid
BY PATPICHA TANAKASEMPIPAT

BANGKOK: -- From selfies with tigers to elephant rides and orangutan boxing, Thailand offers tourists an array of attractions that animal rights activists say are cruel and should be shut down.

Wildlife officials discovered scores of dead tiger cubs while rescuing 137 tigers from a Buddhist temple last week, raising fears that other tourist attractions could be fronts for animal trafficking.

The Tiger Temple was "just the tip of the iceberg", said Jan Schmidt-Burbach, a Bangkok-based adviser at World Animal Protection.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tigers-idUSKCN0YV0YZ

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-06-10

I just hope in light of what's happening at the tiger temple gains momentum to expose the animal abuse.

Ban elephant riding for a start and move more towards places like the elephant nature park where you don't ride them but get as much enjoyment learning feeding and bathing them.

Elephants dressed up and made to perform for tourists is sickening for me as are the many other species which are abused for human enjoyment .

Mankind has a lot to answer for.

More or less all right in Sri Racha TIGER ZOO?

I was more times there with my children,

but had once to witness the beating with a wood piece of one of their 2 Orang Utans they had for photo opportunities at that time. sad.png

Very mixed opinions in Tripadvisor critics of visitors

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297916-d550369-Reviews-Sriracha_Tiger_Zoo-Chonburi_Chonburi_Province.html

I have a feeling western tourists do indeed give these places a wide berth nowadays..animal abuse, malnourished animals, lack of shade, aggressive keepers, just a few of the reasons these places soon seem to close down...only to open in the next province under new name & new financial backing.

We, the all knowing, should colonize thailand or stay away from her. There is no in-between. As is shown on a daily basis everywhere.

I'm all for colonizing it and letting it run as the great big theme park it really already is. From my long observation I am now quite sure the Thais really don't want to be made to grow up and accept responsibility for running anything. It's just not fun. I'm pretty sure they'd much rather have the grown ups take care of the boring bits, like the justice system and law enforcement. I'm serious.

We, the all knowing, should colonize thailand or stay away from her. There is no in-between. As is shown on a daily basis everywhere.

I'd go with stay away. Hit them very hard in the hip pocket. They tend not to forget that quickly.

W

So boring to read posts like this,, yet another one of "if you dont like it go home" brigade. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, not sure whether you are aware but Thai people are also disgusted at the findings at the Tiger temple