Where To Start

First, I realize tht this has all been covered....somewhere, but, just have a few specific questions, this forum is really a wealth of information on these subjects.

I have fallen for a great Thai lady from Phucket, she is educated, and has her own business. I am making preparations to move to Phucket, bringing a sizeable amount of money to invest as well I might add. We would like to marry, but, it seems there is no incentive to do that officially in Thailand....se will do it in the US. Is it true that if we marry in Thailand, neither of us can own property?

In short, is there any advantage at all to getting married to a Thai girl? In real terms? I mean as far as the government is concerned? Other than a visa may be easier to aquire?

Thanks in advance. Any comments on my situation are welcome.

Brad

First, I realize tht this has all been covered....somewhere, but, just have a few specific questions, this forum is really a wealth of information on these subjects.

I have fallen for a great Thai lady from Phucket, she is educated, and has her own business. I am making preparations to move to Phucket, bringing a sizeable amount of money to invest as well I might add. We would like to marry, but, it seems there is no incentive to do that officially in Thailand....se will do it in the US. Is it true that if we marry in Thailand, neither of us can own property?

In short, is there any advantage at all to getting married to a Thai girl? In real terms? I mean as far as the government is concerned? Other than a visa may be easier to aquire?

Thanks in advance. Any comments on my situation are welcome.

Brad

As pointed out the incentive to marry is your eligibility to get a Non-Imm O visa and extensions to it without leaving Thailand. To my knowledge it makes no difference if the marriage is done in US or Thailand, though I would think it would be simpler as far as the visa is concerned if it is a Thai marriage certificate. Property rights for either of you are not changed by marriage. You can't and she can own land.

If you bring significant money into the country, you may be eligible for long-term visa without the marriage.

Virtually all your questions have been discussed in recent threads. Do a search.

TH

Well, after some searching I am left with more questions. My girlfriend(Thai) seems to think she will lose rights to buy property under her business if we marry in Thailand. If we do not marry in Thailand, I should be getting an imigrant B visa correct? Then a work permit as outlined in the "10 steps" in this forum? Just not sure which visa to aplly for first here in the US.

I am coming from the US

Bringing more than enough to meet any monetary requirements(I believe)

Just interested in knowing the best way to stay there, even if it means visa runs.

Do any of the new laws enacted affect Immigrant "b" visas? I apologize for seeming so confused. Just looking for the first steps, seems things change so fast.

Well, after some searching I am left with more questions. My girlfriend(Thai) seems to think she will lose rights to buy property under her business if we marry in Thailand. If we do not marry in Thailand, I should be getting an imigrant B visa correct? Then a work permit as outlined in the "10 steps" in this forum? Just not sure which visa to aplly for first here in the US.

I am coming from the US

Bringing more than enough to meet any monetary requirements(I believe)

Just interested in knowing the best way to stay there, even if it means visa runs.

Do any of the new laws enacted affect Immigrant "b" visas? I apologize for seeming so confused. Just looking for the first steps, seems things change so fast.

She will NOT lose any property rights whatsoever. Irrespective of whether you marry in Thailand or elsewhere.

My girlfriend(Thai) seems to think she will lose rights to buy property

Up until a few years ago there was a problem as land registration office would not register a purchase. This has changed and now the only additional requirement is that she sign a paper that the money being used to buy property belongs to her alone and that you sign that you understand property can not be inherited by you. Ask her to check with Land Registration Office if she has doubts as they should all have the word by now.

Well, I am bringing a botload, to me anyway, over 1,000,000 baht. I trust her...and she actually has her own money. It seems for the forseeable future, I will be on an allowance :o Hoping for us to buy some rental property....working on some other business opportunities as well, she is well connected, which seems to mean everything is LOS.

Possibly you should check a bit more. 1.000.000 Bt is not enough money to start a business (2 million minimum capitalization) and i'm not sure if the Immigration would class it as enough for you to live on after a year or so.. Anyway this is a link you might find interesting if you do get married. http://www.thaivisa.com/In_case_of_being_a...a_Thai_wife.pdf

Later

I appreciate your help. I am not really starting abusiness, she already has one generating a decent income for her....maybe 50-60 k US. I have about 1.5 million baht to bring to the table, and somw skills I think we can use to expand her business, and possibly move into some other areas. She already has taken care of strtup costs, office leasing, and I will live rent free for the short term. I realize 1,00,000 baht would be woefully short to start from scratch. I am looking to put this money where I will get the most bang for the buck. It is not alot, but, it is a sizeable infusion into an existing company. looking at real estate, something steady....not sure what.

Err !! Quiggs whoa horse! Seeing as no one has mentioned it yet check out a few old threads here before you invest in LOS. I'm sure your love is very capable and a good one but it dosn't hurt to read up on the reality of life here. Forwarned is forarmed.

Other than that good luck mate :o