Windows 10 on VirtualBox

Rob13

I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox yesterday. It runs pretty good but the screen dimensions are off (every thing looks stretched) and general performance is a little slow and 'jerky'. Anybody have any advice on how to tweak it for better performance?

If you have the extensions installed it should size up properly. Check the resolution settings on the guest video hardware setup (not sure where in 10) and use the virtualbox driver (should be there) with a common PnP monitor normally works for me, but I run linux as guest - last windows I had virtual was a copy of XP a while back now.

It needs ram when virtual I don't care what they say if you can't give it a real 2+ gigs it will be jerky - when I run some linux it is the same way if it says I can run 1gig just fine it won't virtual - some kind of overhead - also make sure you asked for the number of cores you have on the host in the set up or it will by default be single core processor.

Thanks RKASA, I 've been working with ii all afternoon. Got it working smoother and faster. I bumped the RAM up to 4gbs like you suggested. Still can't get the screen dimensions correct though.

Thanks RKASA, I 've been working with ii all afternoon. Got it working smoother and faster. I bumped the RAM up to 4gbs like you suggested. Still can't get the screen dimensions correct though.

They can be a problem - I know the effect your seeing I have had that problem. I do know the solution was in the guest hardware setup. Try in the guest selecting auto where you can find it and it relates to screen size. I only just downloaded 10 on the wife's laptop and still lost as to where anything is and have no plan to put it in a virtual.

The problem was generally more often seen in my Linux installs then in win xp when I had that it seemed to sort out faster. Sometimes if you change the drop down selection from resize and back it kick out - it will work just have to find that one click. One time I had a mini install that would not seem to go to the right screen and then one time I reboot and it just worked?? I hate those.

Archived