Florida nightclub attack just the latest US mass shooting

webfact

Florida nightclub attack just the latest US mass shooting
By The Associated Press

NEW YORK: -- A gunman opened fire in a crowded gay dance club in Orlando, Florida, early Sunday morning, leaving at least 50 people dead and 53 injured in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

Authorities identified the attacker as Omar Mateen, of Port St. Lucie man who was killed by SWAT officers. The previous deadliest mass shooting in the U.S. was the 2007 attack at Virginia Tech, in which a student killed 32 people before killing himself.

Here's a look at some of the nation's deadliest rampages since 2012:

— Feb. 25, 2016: Cedric Ford, 38, killed three people and wounded 14 others lawnmower factory where he worked in the central Kansas community of Hesston. The local police chief killed him during a shootout with 200 to 300 workers still in the building, authorities said.

— Feb. 20, 2016: Jason Dalton, 45, is accused of randomly shooting and killing six people and severely wounding two others during a series of attacks over several hours in the Kalamazoo, Michigan, area. Authorities say he paused between shootings to make money as an Uber driver. He faces murder and attempted murder charges.

— Dec. 2, 2015: Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, opened fire at a social services center in San Bernardino, California, killing 14 people and wounding more than 20. They fled the scene but died hours later in a shootout with police.

— Oct. 1, 2015: A shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, left 10 people dead and seven wounded. Shooter Christopher Harper-Mercer, 26, exchanged gunfire with police, then killed himself.

— June 17, 2015: Dylann Roof, 21, shot and killed nine African-American church members during a Bible study group inside the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina. Police contend the attack was racially motivated. Roof faces nine counts of murder in state court and dozens of federal charges, including hate crimes.

— May 23, 2014: A community college student, Elliot Rodger, 22, killed six people and wounded 13 in shooting and stabbing attacks in the area near the University of California, Santa Barbara, campus. Authorities said he apparently shot himself to death after a gunbattle with deputies.

— Sept. 16, 2013: Aaron Alexis, a mentally disturbed civilian contractor, shot 12 people to death at the Washington Navy Yard before he was killed in a police shootout.

— July 26, 2013: Pedro Vargas, 42, went on a shooting rampage at his Hialeah, Florida, apartment building, gunning down six people before officers fatally shot him.

— Dec. 14, 2012: In Newtown, Connecticut, an armed 20-year-old man entered Sandy Hook Elementary School and used a semi-automatic rifle to kill 26 people, including 20 first graders and six adult school staff members. He then killed himself.

— Sept. 27, 2012: In Minnesota's deadliest workplace rampage, Andrew Engeldinger, who had just been fired, pulled a gun and fatally shot six people, including the company's founder. He also wounded two others at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis before taking his own life.

— Aug. 5, 2012: In Oak Creek, Wisconsin, 40-year-old gunman Wade Michael Page killed six worshippers at a Sikh Temple before killing himself.

— July 20, 2012: James Holmes, 27, fatally shot 12 people and injured 70 in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

— April 2, 2012: Seven people were killed and three were wounded when a 43-year-old former student opened fire at Oikos University in Oakland, California. One Goh was charged with seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder, but psychiatric evaluations concluded he suffered from long-term paranoid schizophrenia and was unfit to stand trial.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-13

They forgot that on 9/11 Muslims flew two planes into the twin towers and killed 3,000 people. Don't need a gun to kill, it just adds convenience. Could have been done with bombs, autos, knifes etc.

MSM the real enemy of people, distorting gun violence with terrorism less than 24 hours into this horrible act. MSM is pathetic and they, like their liberal politicians, are only being listened to by left wing Nazis, as conservatives disregard their garbage reporting.

Note, how many of the above mentioned cases were done by "islamic radical terrorists" and how many by "lone wolfs" (eg with a nun- muslim background)...! Notice something?

Note, how many of the above mentioned cases were done by "islamic radical terrorists" and how many by "lone wolfs" (eg with a nun- muslim background)...! Notice something?

Let's look at this another way. How many % of Americans are muslim? Now, as a percentage how do the previous figures look? Factor in 9/11 and now ask again how does it look. I will tell you, a tiny % of muslims have unleashed mayhem on the US. When the % grows the mayhem will also.

"They forgot that on 9/11 Muslims flew two planes into the twin towers and killed 3,000 people."

Actually, they did not forget anything. The article clearly states that it's listing deadliest rampages since 2012.

"Don't need a gun to kill, it just adds convenience. Could have been done with bombs, autos, knifes etc."

Kill 50 people with a knife? I don't think so.

"MSM the real enemy of people..."

Who?

"...distorting gun violence with terrorism less than 24 hours into this horrible act."

This seems to be an act of terrorism perpetrated by using assault style weapons. Wouldn't you say that it's gun violence as well?

Mr President; Before leaving office please ban all assault style weapons for civilian use!

"They forgot that on 9/11 Muslims flew two planes into the twin towers and killed 3,000 people."

Actually, they did not forget anything. The article clearly states that it's listing deadliest rampages since 2012.

"Don't need a gun to kill, it just adds convenience. Could have been done with bombs, autos, knifes etc."

Who?

"...distorting gun violence with terrorism less than 24 hours into this horrible act."

This seems to be an act of terrorism perpetrated by using assault style weapons. Wouldn't you say that it's gun violence as well?

Mr President; Before leaving office please ban all assault style weapons for civilian use!

In Thailand maybe but not in America. Government is composed of three branches for checks and balances. The President can't make an illegal order as much as he would like to.

Bet you can't you define "assault style weapon" without using the Internet or asking someone else.

Having served my country I most likely have a much better understanding of what constitutes an assault style weapon than you do, but to dumb it down for you here is a definition that should make sense:

Any weapon that allows one guy to kill 50 persons in a matter of seconds.

Another way to look at it is 265 people were shot by children with guns in the USA in 2015. At that rate even the kids have a better strike rate than any terrorist. Trump should get Congress to go full hog and gift them all a semi auto at birth...welcome to the good ole US of A. Totally agree with him of building a wall....just take it right around the whole country and keep all the loonies including him in.

Let's look at this another way. How many % of Americans are muslim? Now, as a percentage how do the previous figures look? Factor in 9/11 and now ask again how does it look. I will tell you, a tiny % of muslims have unleashed mayhem on the US. When the % grows the mayhem will also.

Wait...what?

So... the way bigger ACTUAL number of killings by non- Muslims doesn't bother you as much, as a dreamed up number of killings by Muslims?

...right!blink.png

Bet you can't you define "assault style weapon" without using the Internet or asking someone else.

Having served my country I most likely have a much better understanding of what constitutes an assault style weapon than you do, but to dumb it down for you here is a definition that should make sense:

The Muslim radical started his murdering at 2AM

and didn't stop for 3 hours, when he was killed by police around 5AM. Not seconds.

The Muslim radical started his murdering at 2AM

and didn't stop for 3 hours, when he was killed by police around 5AM. Not seconds.

Are you saying that with semi-automatic/automatic weapons one person isn't able to kill 50 persons in seconds?

That is your definition, not a legal one...not that I disagree with your definition. It is just that writing law is tricky.

Edited by mopar71

Who?

I stumbled across this photo and I think you can kill a lot of people with knives.

post-246924-0-95126200-1465833386_thumb.

I just can't believe the knee-jerks writing here! Yeah, it all goes back to 9-11, huh? 3,000 in the WTC dying in New York was an excuse to unleash America's rain of terror on Muslim countries. America created the enemy where there was just jive-talk before. 100s of 1000s have died, most civilians. They all just want what you want, a safe, comfortable, peaceful life. The US created a million refugees by its senseless wars; they're America's responsibility...so take them to that world sanctuary, the USA! Don't tar all Muslims. Americans want to keep their guns, so expect more of this, by crazies of any stripe.