Can I find these groceries in Chiang Mai?

user555

Dear friends,

I live in Chiang mai for two years now. Does any one know if i can find any of the following any where in town for a reasonable price?

Cottage cheese, canned salmon, glotenfree oats and lactose free milk?

Thanks in advance.

I get all these things from RimPing. Now is $10 a reasonable price for a small can of wild-caught salmon? Sure if I have an extra amount of money. At the end of the month I'm eating canned tuna from Makro and roast chicken from BigC+. I usually put 10 cans of salmon in my suitcases that I buy in California at Costco. But... I run out after a while. Someone wanted cauliflower. Always at RimPing.

Oats are gluten free, well real 100% ones are.

I just bought "Flahavan's Irish Quick Oats" at Tops in KSK Mall.

Not sure what you consider "reasonable priced" but they have cheaper brands too.

Quick oats are actually easier to digest then regular long cooking ones.

...as for the milk....seek a milk alternative...'Pro Fit' Job's Tears Cereal Drink...they have sugar-free as well...

..cottage cheese...which was a dollar a bucket back home....not seen less than 150 baht....like $5 CAD....

...but you want to avoid lactose....???

Back in the 1940's - 50's canned salmon was one of the cheapest items in American stores.Now: $$$.

When Lewis and Clark spent a wet winter on the Oregon coast they got sick of salmon. There's a huge difference in taste/texture between "wild" salmon and farm raised, a product that does great harm to the environment.

> glutenfree oats and lactose free milk

Also, non-beef hamburgers, alcohol-free beer, low carb crackers and fat-free fries.

Bliss.

Burger King has a nice Vegie burger. Will that help you out?tongue.png

To be honest it is really good a bit on the spicy side.

Burger King has a nice Vegie burger. Will that help you out?tongue.png

If I would not avoid them already, now would be the time for a total boycott smile.png

I only had one the other day so I am not as far along in addiction to them as you are. How ever I will have one from time to time in the future.smile.png

Wow, didn't expect for such a discussion.

Thanks everyone. Some were helpful some were funny.

As for the questions (about cottage and canned Salmon), well you might think I'm doing too much out of it, so let me make it clear it's not important. Anyway, Salmon is low on Mercury and high in omega 3s. Cottage, I think, is relatively low in Lactose because of the processing.

I recommend checking out Tops & Rimping. Not the cheapest of our options but they sell loads of good western cheese and some health foods too. Particularly the ones at Kad Suan Kaew and Central Festival. There is also a good health food shop, Aden, next to Warm Up on Nimman which sells interesting cheeses made from kefir, goat's milk, along with gluten free cereals. Happy shopping! :-D

Just FYI you can buy omega 3 capsules in chemists, and the doses will be 1g per capsule.

Forget the exact epa/dha, but 3/4 per day will be sufficient dose and bottle will last a month.

Probably same price as 1 can of salmon.

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2016 at 6:01 AM, junglechef said:

Oats are gluten free, well real 100% ones are.

I just bought "Flahavan's Irish Quick Oats" at Tops in KSK Mall.

Not sure what you consider "reasonable priced" but they have cheaper brands too.

Quick oats are actually easier to digest then regular long cooking ones.

In theory oats are gluten free. But there can be cross contamination sometime due to the fact that oats are processed in mills that also process wheat, rye and barley. . Bob's Red Mill oats, while pricey, are probably your best best since they are Elisa (DNA) tested.  Rimping usually has them. Also, there is something in oats. the name of which I can forget, which can create problems for a small percentage of celiacs.

Ok, yes, thanks - thats what I thought..., looks like we'll have to take a drive out there if we want to enjoy the 'harvest' full moon(if the clouds clear for long enough) with crackers, dips and a nice bottle of Red Ned. 
Regards
:wai:

Edited by Sandy Freckle

16 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I've seen most of that stuff at Rimping.

I buy hummus, baba ganoush labelled as Eggplant dip from Tops, it's an Australian brand called Yumis. It's pretty good if you don't want to make your own. Not cheap, but then again none of our favourite farang food stuffs are here! Both hummus and baba ganoush are easy to make at home. Plus the ingredients can be easily sourced here too. It's just a suggestion! ☺

1 hour ago, Dassie said:

I buy hummus, baba ganoush labelled as Eggplant dip from Tops, it's an Australian brand called Yumis. It's pretty good if you don't want to make your own. Not cheap, but then again none of our favourite farang food stuffs are here! Both hummus and baba ganoush are easy to make at home. Plus the ingredients can be easily sourced here too. It's just a suggestion! ☺

Making our own was exactly what 'she who must be obeyed' said to me........, if I was back in my primary home in Oz - I would most likely make my own. 
Thank you.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

On 17/09/2016 at 3:30 PM, ilostmypassword said:

I've seen most of that stuff at Rimping.

6 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Making our own was exactly what 'she who must be obeyed' said to me........, if I was back in my primary home in Oz - I would most likely make my own. 
Thank you.

Lol...I admit the same. I almost always made my own back home too ? But I don't go to the trouble here either