Laem Chabang airport

matta330

Every few days I drive past this landing strip in Laem Chabang. Ostensibly, it has an 8000' runway (if the runway markings are to be believed), but I can't find out a thing about it. The place looks deserted, on the weekends I see people walking up and down the runway on their way to a market on the NE end. Any info out there about this place? It's closer to Pattaya than U-Tapao, and the old airline guy in me sees an air shuttle to both BKK and DMK as a possibility if the numbers could work.

Indeed that sentence would imply to a native speaker that this landing strip is between Pattaya and Utapao but closer to Pattaya.

Laem Chabang is approximately 18 kms north of Pattaya and features an international port, a large industrial estate and a series of oil facilities all on the coast with no landing strip that I know of.

Utapao is south of Pattaya.

I do feel some much clearer pinpointing of location is required.

It seems the OP may be referring to Pattaya Airpark. This is south of Pattaya, 35 km from Laem Chabang by road so the title is a misnomer.

Co-ordinates are

12°49'57.5"N 100°56'55.7"E

Great link. Thanks. Nope, it turns out to be Sri Racha. Coordinates: N13 05 30

E100 58 06

http://www.hebels.nl/flights/thailand/apd.php?k=1120

And the runway is 800m not the 8000' feet I thought which makes a huge difference.

Okay, this town is called Khreua Sahaphat, literally Sahaphat Group. That is the name of this conurbation for obvious reasons.

I know nothing of flight regulations but would suggest a regular air service to such a built-up industrialised area would be prohibited.

Okay, this town is called Khreua Sahaphat, literally Sahaphat Group. That is the name of this conurbation for obvious reasons.

I know nothing of flight regulations but would suggest a regular air service to such a built-up industrialised area would be prohibited.

Yup I agree now that I know more about the place. That and the runway is really too short.

Indeed that sentence would imply to a native speaker that this landing strip is between Pattaya and Utapao but closer to Pattaya.

Laem Chabang is approximately 18 kms north of Pattaya and features an international port, a large industrial estate and a series of oil facilities all on the coast with no landing strip that I know of.

Utapao is south of Pattaya.

I do feel some much clearer pinpointing of location is required.

"Indeed that sentence would imply to a native speaker that this landing strip is between Pattaya and Utapao but closer to Pattaya."

That sentence would imply to a native speaker, that the landing strip was closer to Pattaya than Uttapao; the direction from Pattaya is irrelevant.

Obviously, you're not a native speaker.