Bringing Thaksin To Account

marshbags

Keep your eyes on General Saprang since he is a coming man in Thai politics.I think he has Suchinda like characteristics that if he was placed in a position of ultimate authority could spell deep deep trouble for this country.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig and from pig to man again;but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Saprang flayed for costly overseas trip

General Saprang Kalayanamitr, assistant secretary general of the Council for National Security(CNS) and chairman of Airports of Thailand (AOT), came under attack yesterday for "squandering" Bt7.2 million on a week-long trip to England and Germany last week.

He's out

Edited by Tony Clifton

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep your eyes on General Saprang since he is a coming man in Thai politics.I think he has Suchinda like characteristics that if he was placed in a position of ultimate authority could spell deep deep trouble for this country.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig and from pig to man again;but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Saprang flayed for costly overseas trip

General Saprang Kalayanamitr, assistant secretary general of the Council for National Security(CNS) and chairman of Airports of Thailand (AOT), came under attack yesterday for "squandering" Bt7.2 million on a week-long trip to England and Germany last week.

He's out

He will be the next Head of the Army. He is not going anywhere. This is a very strong military leader with a lot of power.

He will be the next Head of the Army. He is not going anywhere. This is a very strong military leader with a lot of power.

Yes, unfortunately, you are most likely right.

And apart from that - he is feared and reviled by most soldiers and police.

I have never met anyone here in the armed forces who is not terrified of the possibility that Saprang might become next Army Chief.

I have never met anyone here in the armed forces who is not terrified of the possibility that Saprang might become next Army Chief.

I never met the man, never met any body who has- but just reading his interview in the Post a couple of days ago, he comes across as a well connected thug. And his excuse for his family junket? Brilliant: Taksin was worse. (We'll be hearing that one for decades I suspect).

I never met the man, never met any body who has- but just reading his interview in the Post a couple of days ago, he comes across as a well connected thug. And his excuse for his family junket? Brilliant: Taksin was worse. (We'll be hearing that one for decades I suspect).

The Thai press reported that his response to his expenditures was "i'm a national hero" or some nonsense. This pretty much shows what his attitude is and Thailand should be extremely wary of this character. I can imagine in the not-so-distant future that all these powerful thugs will probably come to the forefront and engage in a large turf war once you know who finally passes away.

And one thing this country doesn't need now is to be terrified, be it soldiers, police or civilians.

I still say he's out of the picture following his spending spree and "I don't care " comment.

And one thing this country doesn't need now is to be terrified, be it soldiers, police or civilians.

I still say he's out of the picture following his spending spree and "I don't care " comment.

Just wait and see. The whole thing is running badly off course.

The day that Thais begin to fear soldiers involving themselves in government will be the day that they assume the responsibility of governing themselves. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Out how, and by whom ?

His acts, and his comments, only show the total sense of impunity those people have.

Actually, he didn't go beyond what all other thai politicians are used to do... Such behaviour is endemic.

This situation can be found in the private sector (business) as well... I have received some invitations to go on "study trips" (to visit an exhibition whatever) in Europe for instance, issued by some thai professionnal associations...

Basically : they visit the exhibition 2 days, and for one week do tourism.

They bring along wifes, minor wifes, friends etc. Party time. The companies pay the expenses.

Edited by cclub75

From todays Nation:-

Thu, March 8, 2007 : Last updated 0:11 am (Thai local time)

US rights report slams Thailand yet again

The US government's latest human rights report has criticised Thailand for its excessive use of force against criminals, committing extra-judicial killings and the culture of "impunity".

The report released on Tuesday is a systematic analysis of human rights conditions in Thailand last year. It covers the whole gamut of issues related to human rights during the last nine months of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's reign and the remaining three months following the coup.

This report was more like a follow-up to what happened in the years before, especially in key areas that relate to human rights violations in southern Thailand, disappearances and press freedom. Nonetheless, it has specifically mentioned the Emergency Decree that gives power - and immunity from prosecution - to security forces.

One of the darkest spots for Thailand, as pointed out in the report, is the Thai police engaging in torture and beating and abusing detainees and prisoners with impunity. That helps to explain why one of the top priorities of the interim government has been police reform.

Please go to the following url for the full article:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/08...cs_30028755.php

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

It would be foolish to underestimate or write off Gen. Saprang. He is powerful, confident and well connected. He also resolved the issue (at least temporarily) of the marching farmers demanding debt relief when the government seemed in a panic. Attacks on him right now are more likely an attempt by his potential opponents to cause some damage as they recognize how powerful he actually is with his man of action and can do approach. He is also still heavily identified with the anti-Thaksin wing of the coup when certain others involved look like they are doing deals. He may not be the choice of the current government or elements among the coup makers to head up anything but they also may not be able to overlook him.

It would be foolish to underestimate or write off Gen. Saprang. He is powerful, confident and well connected. He also resolved the issue (at least temporarily) of the marching farmers demanding debt relief when the government seemed in a panic. Attacks on him right now are more likely an attempt by his potential opponents to cause some damage as they recognize how powerful he actually is with his man of action and can do approach. He is also still heavily identified with the anti-Thaksin wing of the coup when certain others involved look like they are doing deals. He may not be the choice of the current government or elements among the coup makers to head up anything but they also may not be able to overlook him.

http://bangkokpost.com/News/08Mar2007_news03.php

The headline says it all: quoting Gen Saprang:

Military Coups Should Never be Ruled Out.

Interesting choice of words- 'ruled out'. This can have 2 meanings: It can mean that there is no fast rule that says more coups won't occur in Thailand.

More precisely though, it could also mean that in the general's estimation, rules should not be made that would outlaw coups. And reading the article, one suspects his meaning is the latter.

Edited by blaze

Tony, in a well run democracy your comments would have a lot of merit, but not in a military dictatorship. Especially when the comments are about one of the most powerful military men in the country. General Saprang operates on a whole different level than politicians in this country and he knows it. He can, and has got away with his spending spree and subsequent comments and he will get away with it again and again. If you ever meet him, be very, very nice.

Taken from todays Nation, the following is about human rights cases relating to abuse:-

Quote:-

Mon, March 12, 2007 : Last updated 0:10 am (Thai local time)

REGIONAL PERSPECTIVE

Govt must make amends in human rights cases

Three years ago today, Somchai Neelaphaichit was abducted and then killed.

But in official parlance, he is still "disappeared". So, the perpetrators are still at large. They are not hiding but are out there walking and talking as if no law in the land can touch them.

But Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the Department of Special Investigation can, once and for all, turn the tables and put the known perpetrators behind bars. This is the best, perhaps the only, way the prime minister and his government can demonstrate sincerity regarding the protection and promotion of human rights.

In Thailand, enforced disappearance has two meanings. First, it refers to the deep-rooted culture of impunity within the security apparatus, especially the police. Any action or scheme linked to them seldom ends up with justice served. To date, no prosecutions have been brought against the culprits in forced disappearances. That helps explain why Thailand has the world's worst record on this.

Unquote.

PLease go to the following url for the complete article:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/12...on_30029056.php

ALL human rights abuses are important and need to be fully investigated, irrespective of where or who is implicated.

marshbags

• 2 weeks later...

Court rules that authority must compensate relatives of the Tak Bai detainees

Today (March, 20th), the Pattani Provincial Court sets a date to compensate those affected by the delivery of detainees protesting in front of the Tak Bai Police Station in Narathiwat Province on October 25th, 2005. 78 detainees were dying on their way to the Inkayuth (อิงคยุทธ) Military Camp in Pattani Province.

Relatives of the dead sued the authority, including state officials as well as police and military officers, in June last year. The court’s proceedings had adhered to reconciliation means until it reached a verdict in December 20th, 2006. It ruled that the authority must compensate relatives of the dead. The total amount of compensation is 42 million baht.

The government has earlier spent 30,000 baht for the funeral of each corpse.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 March 2007

Court rules that authority must compensate relatives of the Tak Bai detainees

Today (March, 20th), the Pattani Provincial Court sets a date to compensate those affected by the delivery of detainees protesting in front of the Tak Bai Police Station in Narathiwat Province on October 25th, 2005. 78 detainees were dying on their way to the Inkayuth (อิงคยุทธ) Military Camp in Pattani Province.

Relatives of the dead sued the authority, including state officials as well as police and military officers, in June last year. The court’s proceedings had adhered to reconciliation means until it reached a verdict in December 20th, 2006. It ruled that the authority must compensate relatives of the dead. The total amount of compensation is 42 million baht.

The government has earlier spent 30,000 baht for the funeral of each corpse.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 March 2007

This is good news in as much as it at least provides some support for the dependants of the unfortunate victims.

It also accepts by awarding the money ( It,s a pittance ) that the disturbing situation was as a result of negligence.

( cold blooded murder )

The next step is to make those responsible from the Thaksin era accountable for their actions.

Thaksin of course provided evidence via media channels relating to his involvement along with the military and police authorities who carried out these despicable acts of inhumanity.

As with the Extra Judicial Killings he not only refused to intervene, but encouraged and issued instructions to continue these evil actions.

His repeated gloating via the news media about the 2 incidents was something i will never forget.

Shame on them all.

That,s how i see it anyway and nothing less will do in making them all accountable, if justice is to be truly served.

marshbags :D:o and :D

Edited by marshbags

Court orders payment for Tak Bai deaths

The Pattani Provincial Court ruled today that the government must pay survivors of the 78 Tak Bai suffocation victims 42 million baht in damages, after settlement talks broke down. The victims, all young men, were suffocated in army trucks while being transported to the Inkayuth Military Camp in Pattani Province. The court ruled the deaths occurred after the men had been arrested after an anti-government rally at Tak Bai town. Relatives of the dead men sued the authorities, including state officials as well as police and military officers, in June last year. The Thaksin regime had donated 30,000 baht to each family for burial.

*The awarded amount equates to 538,461 baht per victim.*

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=117559

takBai1.jpg

Thaksin's Legacy

Edited by sriracha john

Court orders payment for Tak Bai deaths

The Pattani Provincial Court ruled today that the government must pay survivors of the 78 Tak Bai suffocation victims 42 million baht in damages, after settlement talks broke down. The victims, all young men, were suffocated in army trucks while being transported to the Inkayuth Military Camp in Pattani Province. The court ruled the deaths occurred after the men had been arrested after an anti-government rally at Tak Bai town. Relatives of the dead men sued the authorities, including state officials as well as police and military officers, in June last year. The Thaksin regime had donated 30,000 baht to each family for burial.

*The awarded amount equates to 538,461 baht per victim.*

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=117559

takBai1.jpg

Thaksin's Legacy

While something is better than nothing it really is a pathetic amount and is by no means acceptable as a final payment.

For all you non believers out there ???????? Do you really think it is a realistic offer or like those of us who think differently........................................and humanely

An insult not only to the victims but more importantly to there families.

To give you food for thought Thaksins wife has just been granted permission to take 400,000,000 abroad to by a home in the U.K.

What a F****** insult this is when you compare the implications and their value in humanitarian terms.

538,461 baht per victim which in monetary terms won,t even cover the the families living expenses of the last 4 years let alone the ongoing costs for the children and dependants for the future !!!!!!!!!

4000,000,000 for the Thaksins for yet another home to escape to and continue their lives in undeserved luxury.

The only good thing and i requote from my last post

This is good news in as much as it at least provides some support for the dependants of the unfortunate victims.

It also accepts by awarding the money ( It,s a pittance ) that the disturbing situation was as a result of negligence.

( cold blooded murder )

The financial support being better than nothing and can relieve the families of some of there debts, but is by no means a finally acceptable figure.

Just another observation.

When you take into account all the tax evasions / corruption details

( WE are talking telephone numbers in Millions here, if not Billions )

outlined in yesterdays press, How the F*** can this pathetic sum be anything other than insulting by comparison.

More than a few profanities are justified, even by my humble standards and need expressing, but are totally inadequate to cover my / our feelings and frustrations on behalf of the families.

Edited by marshbags

An insult not only to the victims but more importantly to there families.

With all your anger you still seem to forget that the far bigger insult to he families is that the guilty army officers who ordered the atrocities of Tak Bai in the first place are still neither punished nor tried, and neither have i seen any attempt of the present military government to do so.

Shouldn't that tell you something?

just wondering.

the escalation of violence resulting from the present administration's ineffective handling of the situation in the south. would the mounting daily deathtoll of innocent civilians be a part of Surayud's legacy? and if so, would he be the one ultimately responsible for it?

would the mounting daily deathtoll of innocent civilians be a part of Surayud's legacy? and if so, would he be the one ultimately responsible for it?

I doubt it. As time goes by people won't be able to tell the difference between what the death toll was under Thaksin and what it was under Surayud. Not unless they actively seek this info out. What will be remembered is Tak Bai and who was PM at that time and that things ultimately escalated after that. It is always the tragedies that stay in people's minds, other things tend to blend together.

Who was in charge of the country at the time of the Tak Bai massacre?

I hope you do not imply that every decision is made by one person who is considered to be "in charge"? That would be a bit naive.

Anyhow, we imagine to know who is "in charge" now, yet, the present government did all but bring the officers who made the decision in Tak Bai to court. Just because somebody sits as PM in Bangkok, you cannot wash the ones who gave the direct orders on the ground off their guilt.

But even if the ones "in charge of the country" now have both the power and evidence to charge these officers who made the Tak Bai decisions, they choose not to.

If they would be as enraged about the incident as the posters here in the board are, would we not have seen a bit more action than an empty apology, and a bit of money to the victim's families?

I haven't seen any practical progress in the drug war killing cases either, apart from voicing good intentions and forming committees and sub-committees.

One cannot keep blaming Thaksin forever for the lack of any progress.

With the status of CEO comes the commensurate responsibility of the position. Does it absolve all others of any responsibility? No. Do the actions of his workers absolve the CEO of his own responsibility? No.

Who is the boss of all the workers? The CEO.

Were Thaksin's strong-arm tactics, abandonment of the SBPAC and ignoring the NRC's recommendations successful in resolving the issues in the South? Clearly they weren't. Have the current government's attempt at reconciliation through a softer approach resulted in any better results? Again, that's a no.

Did the victim families of Tak Bai receive adequate compensation? No. What did they receive from Thaksin's government? Less a tenth of what they received from the current government.

With the status of CEO comes the commensurate responsibility of the position. Does it absolve all others of any responsibility? No. Do the actions of his workers absolve the CEO of his own responsibility? No.

Were Thaksin's strong-arm tactics, abandonment of the SBPAC and ignoring the NRC's recommendations successful in resolving the issues in the South? Clearly they weren't. Have the current government's attempt at reconciliation through a softer approach resulted in any better results? Again, that's a no.

Did the victim families of Tak Bai receive adequate compensation? No. What did they receive from Thaksin's government? Less a tenth of what they received from the current government.

Unless heads roll- starting with those DIRECTLY responsible and going up the chain of command- possibly including Thaksin (depending on his culpability in the murders)- , this is nothing but a miserable attempt to buy the families off. It is almost as if the gov't is saying- accept the money - then shut up about it- case closed.

And in the interest of preventing such excesses in the future, that's not enough. It's not as if the organization that committed these murders has been dissovled- they are now running the country. And unless outrage is directed at them as well as Thakisin- then I have to suspect agendas at play.

Unless heads roll- starting with those DIRECTLY responsible and going up the chain of command- possibly including Thaksin (depending on his culpability in the murders)- , this is nothing but a miserable attempt to buy the families off. It is almost as if the gov't is saying- accept the money - then shut up about it- case closed.

And in the interest of preventing such excesses in the future, that's not enough. It's not as if the organization that committed these murders has been dissovled- they are now running the country. And unless outrage is directed at them as well as Thakisin- then I have to suspect agendas at play.

As a firm believer in Harry S. Truman's motto: The Buck Stops Here, I'm of the opinion that you have your chain of command backwards and they should start at the top and work their way down instead of vice versa. Otherwise, it'll stop with some Police/Army Sargent and will never reach further up. As CEO and Head Dick Cheese of both the Police and the Army, Thaksin is DIRECTLY responsible. His hard-line, take-no-prisoners policy led up to the massacre in the first place.

Whatever action for the victims families the current government is taking and has taken, even if deemed currently inadequate, is infinitely more than what they were given by Thaksin... who basically said, "I helped pay for their burial, now shut up." He had 2 years after the slaughter to do something... and he didn't.

If people are truly interested in preventing such carnage in the future... go after the Big Dog and put him in prison for 30 years... and see how much corruption and lawyer disappearances and teenager-butchering occurs then.

If you put Sargent Somchai away for 30 years... nothing will change... nothing at all.

As a firm believer in Harry S. Truman's motto: The Buck Stops Here, I'm of the opinion that you have your chain of command backwards and they should start at the top and work their way down instead of vice versa. Otherwise, it'll stop with some Police/Army Sargent and will never reach further up. As CEO and Head Dick Cheese of both the Police and the Army, Thaksin is DIRECTLY responsible. His hard-line, take-no-prisoners policy led up to the massacre in the first place.

Whatever action for the victims families the current government is taking and has taken, even if deemed currently inadequate, is infinitely more than what they were given by Thaksin... who basically said, "I helped pay for their burial, now shut up." He had 2 years after the slaughter to do something... and he didn't.

If people are truly interested in preventing such carnage in the future... go after the Big Dog and put him in prison for 30 years... and see how much corruption and lawyer disappearances and teenager-butchering occurs then.

If you put Sargent Somchai away for 30 years... nothing will change... nothing at all.

The latest round of teenager-butchering seems to have occurred within the last week- under the command of General Sonthi. If army people are ever (and of course under the current regime that's unlikely) linked to this- should they be granted the same temporary (or permanant?) immunity while arrangements are made for Sarayuth/Sonthi to take the fall?

The latest round of teenager-butchering seems to have occurred within the last week- under the command of General Sonthi. If army people are ever (and of course under the current regime that's unlikely) linked to this- should they be granted the same temporary (or permanant?) immunity while arrangements are made for Sarayuth/Sonthi to take the fall?

I do not see any of the present administration giving press statements accepting responsibility or should i say, boasting and making it clear who is orchestrating and taking CREDIT

Credit, how sick and evil can you be Thaksin

Quite the opposite, they are in trying to find a peaceful solution from what i,ve seen of them

There is dialogue ongoing you could never have witnessed under Thaksins watch............................

Should anyone be guilty of what he is responsible for not only as a supposed human being but more importantly as :-

The CEO of the administration while these atrocities occured

To re quote, " The buck stops here " for all CEO,s ultimately no matter what the circumstances.

Then ALL such individuals deservedly need to be brought to justice and accountability without exception.

By the way, before anyone of the usual posters start going back in history, we can only address the recent times and well you know it.

We could go on forever and ever quoting long gone events but they do not in anyway excuse the actions of the last administration or their responsibility for their evil crimes and inhuman abuses.

The 21st century has no place for such thinking. We all know better

marshbags

P.S.

Let us keep the debate reasonable and sensible so as to keep it open, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee :o

Edited by marshbags

Thaksin had more power to toss the generals around than the current junta (unlike Thaksin they depend on generals support).

That is probably abother downside of the coup - the army is untouchable.

Talking about "what if" scenario - if Thaksin was still there, or if the junta themselves decided to replace the army command in the South and punish those responsible for Tak Bai, Krue Sue, and the general mess that they army created there - who are they going to replace them with? It's not like they can import some brand name army from the US or generic models from China.

Though Thailand appears to have an infinite supply of generals, not many of them are in a working condition, most are just showroom replicas.

Wouldn't it be prudent to wait until we have a legally elected government before we start to prosecute political adversaries of the present regime? Even in Iraq they at least had a mock election before the US backed cronies beheaded Saddam, and you can see how well that is working out. I think giving 500 million baht prize to the junta's wives should make everyone happy and lead to an acceptable reconcilliation. Then, perhaps, we can all move on.