Bringing Thaksin To Account

marshbags

With the status of CEO comes the commensurate responsibility of the position. Does it absolve all others of any responsibility? No. Do the actions of his workers absolve the CEO of his own responsibility? No.

Who is the boss of all the workers? The CEO.

Were Thaksin's strong-arm tactics, abandonment of the SBPAC and ignoring the NRC's recommendations successful in resolving the issues in the South? Clearly they weren't. Have the current government's attempt at reconciliation through a softer approach resulted in any better results? Again, that's a no.

Did the victim families of Tak Bai receive adequate compensation? No. What did they receive from Thaksin's government? Less a tenth of what they received from the current government.

Unless heads roll- starting with those DIRECTLY responsible and going up the chain of command- possibly including Thaksin (depending on his culpability in the murders)- , this is nothing but a miserable attempt to buy the families off. It is almost as if the gov't is saying- accept the money - then shut up about it- case closed.

And in the interest of preventing such excesses in the future, that's not enough. It's not as if the organization that committed these murders has been dissovled- they are now running the country. And unless outrage is directed at them as well as Thakisin- then I have to suspect agendas at play.

As a firm believer in Harry S. Truman's motto: The Buck Stops Here, I'm of the opinion that you have your chain of command backwards and they should start at the top and work their way down instead of vice versa. Otherwise, it'll stop with some Police/Army Sargent and will never reach further up. As CEO and Head Dick Cheese of both the Police and the Army, Thaksin is DIRECTLY responsible. His hard-line, take-no-prisoners policy led up to the massacre in the first place.

Whatever action for the victims families the current government is taking and has taken, even if deemed currently inadequate, is infinitely more than what they were given by Thaksin... who basically said, "I helped pay for their burial, now shut up." He had 2 years after the slaughter to do something... and he didn't.

If people are truly interested in preventing such carnage in the future... go after the Big Dog and put him in prison for 30 years... and see how much corruption and lawyer disappearances and teenager-butchering occurs then.

If you put Sargent Somchai away for 30 years... nothing will change... nothing at all.

The latest round of teenager-butchering seems to have occurred within the last week- under the command of General Sonthi. If army people are ever (and of course under the current regime that's unlikely) linked to this- should they be granted the same temporary (or permanant?) immunity while arrangements are made for Sarayuth/Sonthi to take the fall?

I do not see any of the present administration giving press statements accepting responsibility or should i say, boasting and making it clear who is orchestrating and taking CREDIT

Credit, how sick and evil can you be Thaksin

Quite the opposite, they are in trying to find a peaceful solution from what i,ve seen of them

There is dialogue ongoing you could never have witnessed under Thaksins watch............................

Should anyone be guilty of what he is responsible for not only as a supposed human being but more importantly as :-

The CEO of the administration while these atrocities occured

To re quote, " The buck stops here " for all CEO,s ultimately no matter what the circumstances.

Then ALL such individuals deservedly need to be brought to justice and accountability without exception.

By the way, before anyone of the usual posters start going back in history, we can only address the recent times and well you know it.

We could go on forever and ever quoting long gone events but they do not in anyway excuse the actions of the last administration or their responsibility for their evil crimes and inhuman abuses.

The 21st century has no place for such thinking. We all know better

marshbags

P.S.

Let us keep the debate reasonable and sensible so as to keep it open, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee :o

For all your appeal to sensibility, you've lost me. Who is 'forever and ever quoting long gone events'? Surely you aren't referring to the killings at the school last week as 'long gone events'? And since when do events exist outside of a historical context- thereby rendering them off limits in a discussion such as this? Law works best when it is based on precedence- otherwise it can seem arbitrary and that defeats the purpose of law.

Now as far as the junta desiring a peaceful solution to the southern problem, I believe they do. But regardless of their stated claims, the situation on the ground remains pretty much the same: disappearances continue, torture and even murder is reportedly common

And as Plus seems to say, short of bringing in a whole new army from outside, that's not going to change. Though- were severe measures taken against criminally incompetent officers, there might be a some possibility of turning the conflict around.

The ultimate goal is a peaceful South. To obtain that, it will be nescessary for the locals as well as the majority of Thais to see that those culpable for crimes against humanity are brought to justice. And to a southerner, I would expect that as long as Sergent Somchai with his little band of Rangers is still wandering around bullying the locals (some have said torturing), then you can crucify Thaksin all you want- but to them, justice will not be seen to be served. And the violence will just escelate. What is the goal- to nail Thaksin? Or to bring justice to a situation which is threatening anarchy?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has been plain for some time the goal of the separatists is to terrify the Buddhists to leave and intimidate the local Muslims to accept Sharia law. General Sonthi perhaps refuses to recognise this, being a Muslim.

Already the separatists are defying the curfew and continuing their violence.

He should double the troops to 50,000 as recommended, with training in anti-guerilla activities in rural surroundings, the killers should not be allowed to roam free as of now.

When the Muslims bring in their women and children to protest an arrest, the authorities should use Thai female police and army officials, perhaps their offspring too, to persuade some of the demonstrators to sit in on interrogations of the suspects.

The government must declare those responsible for the Tak Bai massacre will be prosecuted and those involved in disappearances will face the same.

The junta, as a government of military officers with experience of insurgencies, should hang their heads in shame at the present state of affairs in the south.

And as for the idiot who said it was just the work of common criminals....!

It has been plain for some time the goal of the separatists is to terrify the Buddhists to leave and intimidate the local Muslims to accept Sharia law. General Sonthi perhaps refuses to recognise this, being a Muslim.

Already the separatists are defying the curfew and continuing their violence.

He should double the troops to 50,000 as recommended, with training in anti-guerilla activities in rural surroundings, the killers should not be allowed to roam free as of now.

When the Muslims bring in their women and children to protest an arrest, the authorities should use Thai female police and army officials, perhaps their offspring too, to persuade some of the demonstrators to sit in on interrogations of the suspects.

The government must declare those responsible for the Tak Bai massacre will be prosecuted and those involved in disappearances will face the same.

The junta, as a government of military officers with experience of insurgencies, should hang their heads in shame at the present state of affairs in the south.

And as for the idiot who said it was just the work of common criminals....!

I don't always- but I agree with this post Siripon. Several 'experts' on terrorism (and since I have zero qualifications, I don't use the term snidely) have said that an influx of more troops is not an answer. I personally can't see that- though the troops would have to exercise a degree of professionalism that the Thai army currently doesn't seem to posess.

I really like your idea of publicly monitored investigations- (interrogations)- and of course, punishment of any state official putting so much of a toe out of line. And that includes whatever weird business dealings the officials might be involved in.

The way that Prem handled the communists was instructive (negotiations, amnesties etc) but probably would not work here. Sometimes I wonder if a separation referendum might not be the answer. That way, should the separatists lose, the 'majority' would have given a committment to more actively oppose them. Should they win, they would find themselves sandwiched between a very anti-Islamist Malaysia and a very anti-Islamist Thailand- I expect they would be frozen- Malaysia would probably prefer to adopt a colony of vipers. Thailand wouldn't deal with them. And eventually, they would find themselves abandoned. Their only option would be to try to re-negotiate some kind of deal with Thailand. Hmmm. What think?

From todays B.Post... General news.....Thursday March 22, 2007

DEEP SOUTH / SURAYUD VISITS REGION

PM: No human rights abuse during my watch

POST REPORTERS & ISSARA NEWS CENTRE

Quote:-

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday distanced the government from a Human Rights Watch report detailing forced disappearances in the deep South, arguing that there have been no extra-judicial killings or human rights violations since his government took office. Speaking during his tour of the deep South, Gen Surayud said that as head of the special cases committee supervised by the Department of Special Investigation, he could guarantee that the issue of missing persons was being resolved.

Since his government took over in October no extra-judicial killings or human rights violations had occurred, he said.

If there were any such cases, they must have happened in the past.

''We work transparently and we know what we're doing,'' he said.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch earlier detailed 22 cases of forced disappearance in the region, mostly carried out under the previous Thaksin Shinawatra administration. The report noted, however, that senior police and military officials responsible for the crimes remained on active duty.

Unquote.

Please go to the following url for the complete article:-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Mar2007_news02.php

Blaze you are mischief making, we both know what history,how far back most of it goes and who keeps referring to such examples in the hope of undermining the present.

This being the periods that can hopefully dealt with as all the offenders are still alive and kicking.

We cannot hope to address the past but at least we can try to address the last governments offences against humanity and take the self inflicting evidence that was provided media wise into account.

May I suggest you scroll previous posts to ascertain the answers on who keeps going back way beyond and at the same time not accounting for offences relating to the 21st century Human Rights Violations pertinent to this thread.

We cannot hope to right the past, but at least we can try to address things relating to the last governments offences against humanity on the existing information as stated above.

This objective can be realistically achieved due to it,s recent occurrence, unlike most of what they go on about regarding historical situations as an excuse not to react or as means of making several wrongs maiking it right.

Be it inside or outside Thailand.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

From todays B.Post... General news.....Thursday March 22, 2007

DEEP SOUTH / SURAYUD VISITS REGION

PM: No human rights abuse during my watch

POST REPORTERS & ISSARA NEWS CENTRE

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday distanced the government from a Human Rights Watch report detailing forced disappearances in the deep South, arguing that there have been no extra-judicial killings or human rights violations since his government took office. Speaking during his tour of the deep South, Gen Surayud said that as head of the special cases committee supervised by the Department of Special Investigation, he could guarantee that the issue of missing persons was being resolved.

Since his government took over in October no extra-judicial killings or human rights violations had occurred, he said.

If there were any such cases, they must have happened in the past.

''We work transparently and we know what we're doing,'' he said.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch earlier detailed 22 cases of forced disappearance in the region, mostly carried out under the previous Thaksin Shinawatra administration. The report noted, however, that senior police and military officials responsible for the crimes remained on active duty.

Unquote.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Mar2007_news02.php

Blaze you are mischief making, we both know what history,how far back most of it goes and who keeps referring to such examples in the hope of undermining the present.

This being the periods that can hopefully dealt with as all the offenders are still alive and kicking.

We cannot hope to address the past but at least we can try to address the last governments offences against humanity and take the self inflicting evidence that was provided media wise into account.

May I suggest you scroll previous posts to ascertain the answers on who keeps going back way beyond and at the same time not accounting for offences relating to the 21st century Human Rights Violations pertinent to this thread.

We cannot hope to right the past, but at least we can try to address things relating to the last governments offences against humanity on the existing information as stated above.

This objective can be realistically achieved due to it,s recent occurrence, unlike most of what they go on about regarding historical situations as an excuse not to react or as means of making several wrongs maiking it right.

Be it inside or outside Thailand.

marshbags

I don't see where any body on this board has ever attempted to use the history of the conflict to justify the Kreu Ze and Tak Bai massacres. In fact, many of those that have provided us with some history, have expressed total disgust with the treatment of rebel suspects. The same disgust you feel. So you seem to be shadow boxing here.

I can't speak for others, but personally, I agree with SR John when he says the buck stops here. Yes, Thaksin does, I think, bear some culpability. Namely for not prosecuting the perpetrators. (unless you can provide me with proof that he ordered the army to kill the prisoners). But I also agree with the principle that 'just following orders' is no excuse. And the people who gave the direct order to pile the prisoners four deep in the trucks - that resulted in the suffocation of the Tak Bai protesters- an order which had it not been given would see those same people alive today- have still not been charged.

If we are genuinely concerned with seeking justice for this act- then shouldn't we be concerned with exactly what happened, who was involved and how? Or is it enough to say once Thaksin's gone the Thai army will mysteriously transform itself into a model of professionalism and that future transgressions will not happen? That getting rid of Thaksin is tantamount to ridding the earth of Evil- like some kind of medeival stoning of the devil- and then waking the next morning to find that evil is still afoot.

Or is it enough to say once Thaksin's gone the Thai army will mysteriously transform itself into a model of professionalism and that future transgressions will not happen? That getting rid of Thaksin is tantamount to ridding the earth of Evil- like some kind of medeival stoning of the devil- and then waking the next morning to find that evil is still afoot.

Just to reiterate my own personal opinion:

With the status of CEO comes the commensurate responsibility of the position. Does it absolve all others of any responsibility? No.

An article applicable to several different threads, but posted here for its account on the non-judicial slayings:

Sounding out Thaksin's rural legacy

CHIANG MAI, Thailand - Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra hails from the northern province of Chiang Mai, part of the rural heartland where his grassroots political support is supposed to run deepest. Yet six months after the populist leader was toppled in a bloodless military coup, all is calm on the former premier's home front.

Much has been made of Thaksin's strong rural support base, which catapulted him to resounding electoral victories in 2001 and 2005. After seizing power last September, the Thai military initially fretted that Thaksin loyalists, which they then vaguely referred to as "undercurrents", would try to stir unrest in protest against his removal. The junta has harassed a handful of top Thaksin aides, but to date it has maintained a loose security policy toward the country's northern provinces.

There is perhaps no better gauge of rural Thai sentiment than the news and views expressed on independently run community radio stations. Asia Times Online recently took the pulse of nearly 20 different community and commercial radio stations across northern Thailand, several of which previously broadcast news that favored Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai political party.

Since the coup, stations have almost unanimously changed their tune, shifting from pro-Thaksin to pro-junta commentary. To be sure, part of that shift can be attributed to the ruling junta's initial order to broadcast news that promotes national unity. But after an initial meeting with all station managers at regional army headquarters last September, enforcement of the military's vague guidelines has been slack - if not non-existent.

There is no visible military presence in Chiang Mai city and in provincial areas barring the provincial airport. And few if any of the northern region's more than 1,000 community radio stations, which generally cater to about 20-25 different villages each, have opted to close down in protest. Moreover, anonymous call-in radio programs, which were banned for a few days directly after the coup, are on-air again.

Nearly all of the station managers who spoke with Asia Times Online said callers seldom if ever spoke critically of the interim military government's performance, nor did they yearn for Thaksin's return to power. The lack of grassroots complaints about the coup through community radio's anonymous interactive channel sends a complicated signal about Thaksin's rural legacy - as, too, does the rural grassroots' apparent easy acquiescence and acceptance of the abrupt transition from democratic to military rule.

To be sure, Thaksin's well-marketed populist policies, including a cheap-health-care program, a revolving development fund for most of the country's 77,000 villages, and other populist handouts, were well received by many rural voters. Liberal academics have argued that those well-targeted policies sparked a new political consciousness in Thailand's countryside, where rural voters are now more demanding of both their local and national representatives. Those populist policies, however, represented only one small part of Thaksin's larger political strategy toward the grassroots.

Feudal legacy

Rather than promoting more local-level autonomy and democracy, Thaksin in effect maintained and positioned himself atop the local patron-client relationships that have arguably long hobbled rural Thailand's political and economic development. That feudal legacy was slated for reform through various decentralization measures included in the progressive 1997 constitution, which was annulled in the wake of last year's coup.

Thaksin deliberately - if not disingenuously - ensured that those center-to-periphery power-devolving reforms were never fully implemented. To the contrary, he moved to reimpose national authority over grassroots governance, most visibly by taking personal, benevolent-patron credit for well-targeted government handouts of taxpayers' money to rural constituencies, but also through policies such as his CEO (chief executive officer) governor program, which gave Thaksin-appointed representatives huge discretion over budget outlays.

At the same time, Thaksin often formed political alliances with local politicians known or suspected to have links with powerful organized-crime groups, including the drug- and human-trafficking trades that run rife in Thailand's various lawless northern areas.

For instance, Worataan Talugrasit, a 70-year-old community radio broadcaster from Phetchaboon province, claims that in his village Thaksin's political supporters took control over rather than combated the local methamphetamine trade. When Thaksin launched his controversial war on drugs in 2003, where more than 2,200 drug suspects were killed in extrajudicial fashion, Thai Rak Thai party heavies arranged the murder of their pill-peddling rivals, Worataan claims. "People were scared of influential people connected to Thaksin. Things are better after the coup."

In northernmost Chiang Rai province, Thaksin likewise formed political linkages with local politicians known to have ties to human-trafficking rings, including at least one prominent member of his former inner circle whom the military hauled in for questioning after launching last year's coup. According to sources familiar with the situation, the US Central Intelligence Agency before the coup alerted a foreign aid worker investigating trafficking issues in the province to leave the area because the politician in question had placed an assassination order against him.

Meanwhile, grassroots activists and opposition politicians spoke out against Thaksin and the development projects his government designed for Chiang Mai city, which often put his political associates' and his own family's business interests ahead of local-community livelihoods, including the forced evictions of villagers to make way for his family's Night Safari tourist attraction.

"Although he was born here, to many in Chiang Mai he was just another rich politician," said Jiraporn Witayasakpan, a lecturer of mass communications at Chiang Mai University. "Some may have liked him, but there was a widespread perception that he did things more for his political party and underlings than the general public. In the end, ordinary people didn't get much from his government."

Unrevealed realities

In Chiang Mai, those on-the-ground political realities, often unrevealed to visiting news reporters who focused on Thaksin's billboard-marketed populist policies, from the start raised hard questions about his frequently stated commitment to democracy and law and order. But those perceptions would go a long way in explaining the grassroots silence surrounding Thaksin's unceremonious demise, including in rural areas where his support was supposed to be strongest.

Liberal academics like to perpetuate the scenario of a politically conscious rural mass, peeved by the new draft charter's likely proviso allowing for an appointed rather than elected prime minister, descending on Bangkok to demand a return to Thaksin-led democracy. Left-leaning Thai newspapers, including the English-language daily The Nation, likewise dispense dire predictions of a clash between the military and yet-to-coalesce street protesters, similar to the cataclysmic events in 1992 that saw soldiers gun down perhaps hundreds of pro-democracy demonstrators in the capital.

Recent front-page reports have focused on a small fringe of anti-coup groups, which to date have yet to mount more than 1,000 protesters. Previous pro-democracy protests in the direct aftermath of the coup led by a radical Marxist academic attracted more journalists than actual protesters. Meanwhile, the army's comparatively under-reported "good morals" drive last weekend attracted more than 10,000 participants.

If the prevailing mood in Chiang Mai is any indicator, rural-led protests are not on the foreseeable political horizon. And they likely won't be even if the coup makers, as expected, introduce a less democratic new constitution that allows them to appoint the prime minister and maintain some sort of role in politics after this year's general elections.

"Thaksin's grassroots support was always more financial than philosophical," said a researcher connected with Chiang Mai University's Social Research Center. "After the coup, those allegiances broke down. Now that the military is stepping in to fill [the] financial gap, now the people are suddenly on their side."

If so, Thaksin's own anti-democratic legacy toward rural areas sowed the seeds of his own political demise. Despite his strong electoral mandate, he was widely viewed more as a strong leader than a liberal democrat. And now the military has adroitly inserted itself atop the same political-patronage pyramid that Thaksin - albeit more skillfully - once presided over through populist handouts.

The local print media have now taken to skewering Surayud's government of once-retired bureaucrats, soldiers and technocrats for its indecisiveness and policy miscues - news reports that the military has notably not moved to censor. That's because the political psychology of Bangkok-based newspaper editors and the country's rural masses are in many ways at direct opposites. Thailand's rural countryside, and even urban-based middle class, frequently demonstrate a strong conservative streak in their political behavior, often to the consternation of left-leaning academics and reform activists.

There are no indications yet that Thailand's rural masses are prepared to mount any protest against a sustained military role in politics - not even in Thaksin's own home town.

- Asia Times

"Thaksin's grassroots support was always more financial than philosophical," said a researcher connected with Chiang Mai University's Social Research Center. "After the coup, those allegiances broke down. Now that the military is stepping in to fill [the] financial gap, now the people are suddenly on their side."

Highly reminiscent of the German government of the 1930's!

Police to be charged in 'war on drugs' case

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) will soon file charges of murder and abuse of authority over the death of nine-year-old Chakraphan Srisaard in a police sting operation during the "war on drugs" in February 2003, a high-ranking department source said yesterday.

The source said the DSI had found that most of the 11 special cases related to the "war on drugs" that it was reviewing had been recorded by the police as "silence" killings among drug-dealing networks and thus their investigations into these cases ended with no culprits brought to justice.

"In the Chakraphan case, it was found that police caused the boy's death and a murder charge will be filed soon against those involved. As for the police officers who together produced a faulty case report, the DSI will seek an NCCC [National Counter Corruption Commission] probe against them for abuse of authority," the source said.

On February 23, 2003, Chakraphan and his mother Pornwipa were waiting in a car while the boy's father allegedly went to deliver illicit drugs to an undercover police officer in a sting operation by police in Bangkok Bang Chan area.

Police allegedly riddled the car with bullets when Pornwipa spotted them and tried to drive away. Chakraphan was killed instantly while Pornwipa fled the scene and has not been seen since.

Speaking about the Royal Thai Police's own probes into some 2,500 alleged "silence" killings during the notorious "war on drugs" launched by the Thaksin government in 2003, DSI director-general Sunai Manomaiudom said the police were authorised to investigate the deaths, but could not interfere in or investigate the 11 cases covered by the Committee of Special Cases.

Sunai said he did not want the public to think the DSI and the police were competing.

Deputy police chief Lt-General Jongrak Juthanont, who heads the force's probe into killings during the war on drugs, said police were examining all files related to the crackdown to get wrongdoers punished "without exception".

- The Nation

Nong Fluke case sent back to DSI team

Burdened with a heavy workload, the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) has returned an extra-judicial killing case involving the death of a nine-year-old boy to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to continue investigation. DSI director-general Sunai Manomai-udom said the NCCC had decided to return to the DSI the case of Nong 'Fluke' or Chakkraphand Srisa-ard who died during the war on drugs launched by deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2003.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05Apr2007_news09.php

Nong Fluke case sent back to DSI team

Burdened with a heavy workload, the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) has returned an extra-judicial killing case involving the death of a nine-year-old boy to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to continue investigation. DSI director-general Sunai Manomai-udom said the NCCC had decided to return to the DSI the case of Nong 'Fluke' or Chakkraphand Srisa-ard who died during the war on drugs launched by deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2003.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05Apr2007_news09.php

Yet more positive news, it can be investigated as a seperate issue and certain police cannot influence the outcome as they have done in the past.

One conviction will set the wheels of accountability moving on ALL cases !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks S.J. for the updates :o

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

B.Post Perspective Sunday April 08, 2007

COMMENTARY

NHRC has fine record

THONGBAI THONGPAO

Last week, Suthin Nophaket, on the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), submitted a letter to Meechai Ruchuphan, president of the National Legislative Assembly, seeking the removal of eight other commissioners, including chairman Saneh Chamarik.

In the letter, Dr Suthin alleged that some of his colleagues had violated the interim charter, the 1999 National Human Rights Act, the 1999 National Anti-Corruption Act and the Penal Code by imposing new rules to facilitate the recruitment of certain employees as civil servants. In doing so, he claimed, they had violated the rights of civil servants and the people, resulting in 23 cases filed against the body in court.

So far, Mr Meechai has yet to respond in any way to the request.

The NHRC was set up under Sections 199 and 200 of the 1997 constitution. It consists of one president and 10 commissioners, selected by the Senate from persons with proven knowledge and experience in protecting civil rights and liberty.

Unquote.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Perspective/08Apr2007_pers06.php

marshbags :o

When Taksin ordered the killings, he was merely asking the people at the top of that food chain to kill some of the people lower down it. There is no way that any significant traffiking of drugs could happen without the complicity of senior police and military. They used his decree to clear out the dead wood and eliminate rivals.

As with all Asian and developing countries, at election times, their choice is sadly limited. They do not have the luxury of choosing between corrupt or non corrupt politicians, their choice every time is, 'they are all corrupt, which one is actually going to give us something or anything'. This accounts for the popularity of Leekpai, naturally he was robbing, but at least he kept it within reason and actually did some good in return. Taksin onthe other hand was as obscene robber and plunderer and a xenophobe to boot.

It will be a long before these gentle, beautiful people have quality choices before them, but I believe they are on the right path and the King has been their saviour, once more. Long may he live.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Police admit boy, 9, was killed by officer

Police have admitted for the first time that a nine-year-old boy shot dead four years ago was accidentally killed by a police officer who tried to arrest his mother during the Thaksin government's war on drugs, which led to several thousand cases of extra-judicial killings. The fate of Chakrapan Srisa-ard, better known by his nickname ''Nong Fluke'', had long been a topic of hot debate. Opinion was divided on whether the little boy was killed by a bullet fired by one of the police who tried to arrest his parents in 2003, or by one of his parents' bodyguards as claimed by the police. ''The latest investigation clearly shows the boy was not killed by a criminal, but by a police officer,'' said Pol Lt-Gen Chongrak Chutanont, assistant national police chief, during a meeting on Monday on complaints about extra-judicial killings by police during the war on drugs. The DSI later looked into the case and found that the police involved had produced false witnesses and evidence to substantiate their claims about the boy's death.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/02May2007_news13.php

UPDATE

Police admit boy, 9, was killed by officer

Police have admitted for the first time that a nine-year-old boy shot dead four years ago was accidentally killed by a police officer who tried to arrest his mother during the Thaksin government's war on drugs, which led to several thousand cases of extra-judicial killings. The fate of Chakrapan Srisa-ard, better known by his nickname ''Nong Fluke'', had long been a topic of hot debate. Opinion was divided on whether the little boy was killed by a bullet fired by one of the police who tried to arrest his parents in 2003, or by one of his parents' bodyguards as claimed by the police. ''The latest investigation clearly shows the boy was not killed by a criminal, but by a police officer,'' said Pol Lt-Gen Chongrak Chutanont, assistant national police chief, during a meeting on Monday on complaints about extra-judicial killings by police during the war on drugs. The DSI later looked into the case and found that the police involved had produced false witnesses and evidence to substantiate their claims about the boy's death.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/02May2007_news13.php

Thanks for the update on the latest attempted get out clause relating to this well documented and distrubing case of indiscriminate killing ?????? S.J.

No initial admittance of wrongdoing / questionable accidental killing along with blaming a third party to take accountability from their actions.

No genuine remorse what so ever or attempts to investigate and confirm this pathetic and again misleading claim it was accidental

They must think everyone is lacking in the old grey matter and hallucinating on what actual took place.

How they can still under estimate the publics perception of what actually took place and the consequent abhorrence when they televised the aftermath at the scene of the murder / shootings and the realisation of the consequences relating to young occupant and his mother was apparent for all to see.

THEY COULD HAVE STOPPED THE VEHICLE BY VARIOUS WELL KNOWN METHODS AND SECURED THE OCCUPANTS HAD THIS BEEN THEIR HONEST / AND REASONABLE OBJECTIVE

<deleted>

Fired in self defence my a***e hole..

They had a target with one objective in mind and it had nothing to do with self defence and well they know it and more importantly so does everyone else.

Save the time and the inventing of further mis truths and excuses as no one will be fooled or mislead by by them.

It has taken them 4 long years to come up with this lame and insulting version of fictitious events in this particular case and still more time is needed to SPEED up the E.J. Killings on which every HONEST caring person knows the objectives and conclusion of already....

NO Bullshit, officer, ask any of them who were walking / cowering among these unfortunate victims when the bullets were flying in all directions.

As was seen in Udonthani on several occasions, families and children within range, yet no gave a satang about the threat of hitting them, among them a certain FARANG ??????????

ARRESTS COULD AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE, SAFELY, AS THE POLICE WERE THE ONLY ONES ARMED AND IT WAS OBVIOUSLY SO

ONE POOR GUY HAD LEGGED IT AND HAD BOTH HIS HANDS ON THE M.BIKE HANDLE BARS ??????????

On Markheang Rd., just around the corner from the Nee Soon supermarket were he,d parked it with his lady and a child in waiting, first of all terrified and then distraught at the bloody outcome, crying hysterically.

Ruthless extermination in the extreme sense of the word to silence individuals and protect the PuYai suppliers from being identified.

marshbags Still :D for all the families :D and :o about this and other human rights abuses that happened under the last governments watch.

Edited by marshbags

B.POST General news >> Thursday May 03, 2007

POLICE CRIME SUPPRESSION DIVISION

New boss gives staff book list

WASSAYOS NGAMKHAM

On his first day in office, the new acting chief of the Crime Suppression Division, Pol Col Pongpat Chayapan, has suggested his staff read five books on criminology. He believes the knowledge to be gained from the books could reduce the amount of extrajudicial action taken by police officers.

Pol Col Pongpat, who took over yesterday, is an expert in criminology and an advocate of human rights and has been in close contact with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Unquote.

Ref. url for the complete article, please go to:- http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/03May2007_news09.php

Things are moving forward into the 21st century way of thinking.

Promising news and hopefully a new approach into prevention and investigating offenders.

Also note the chief is an expert on the relevant subjects and an advocate of H.Rights as well.

Can we look forward to the eventual / reducing, of such crimes and the net tightening against those suspected of these crimes.

Hopefully Yes ??????????

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

HUMAN RIGHTS NATIONAL PLAN

Abuses in the justice system to be targeted

Tackling human rights violations occurring in the justice system will be given more emphasis in the second national human rights plan now being drawn up. Janchom Jintayanont, a senior liberties and rights protection official, said rights violations within the justice system are on the rise. Complaints increased from 1,868 in 2003 to 2,330 in 2004, 4,949 in 2005, and 5,222 in 2006. Cases included the disappearance of Muslim lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit, the heavy-handed handling of the Krue Se and Tak Bai cases, suppression of drug trading and extrajudicial killings, and the use of the emergency decree in the South, as well as the security zoning system in the three southernmost provinces.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/04May2007_news13.php

Edited by sriracha john

Cases included the disappearance of Muslim lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit,

Thaksin caused good people to be drawn into his war on drugs. I personally knew a CSD officer that was later charged in the mysterious disappearance of a human rights attorney.

The CSD officer was acquitted last January 2006. You may like to read all the details of that case here: http://campaigns.ahrchk.net/somchai/ See in particular the trial notes: http://thailand.ahrchk.net/docs/AHRC_Somchai_trial_notes.pdf.

Just posting here for your information, it is all public record.

• 2 weeks later...

DSI: Nong Fluke case needs push

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is to ask the court to speed up an inquiry into the post-mortem report for the death of Nong Fluke, a 9-year-old boy who was killed in the ''war on drugs'' campaign in 2003, DSI director-general Sunai Manomai-udom said yesterday. The court has had the police post-mortem report since 2003 but it has yet to open an inquiry, he said, adding without the process, the DSI is unable to indict offenders in the case. Sunai said the DSI has made progress in the case, only that it was unable to find the gun that was used in the incident. There were two police teams tracking down Nong Fluke's mother that day, said Sunai, adding that his investigators have already questioned eyewitnesses and examined each of the police officers' guns. ''We realise that one officer may have more than one gun at a time,'' he said. He said the DSI knew exactly which officer fired that fatal shot. The DSI had evidence to counter the police post-mortem report which merely stated that the boy died of a gunshot wound, he said. ''The problem is the DSI or prosecutors cannot indict the offender as long as the court does not begin the inquiry into the post-mortem report,'' he said, adding it was necessary the court kickstart the process. It is expected that the DSI would conclude the case during the next board meeting at the end of the month, he said. The meeting will be chaired by PM Surayud Chulanont. Previously, an assistant police chief conceded that it was a police officer who ''accidentally killed'' the boy.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19May2007_news06.php

Edited by sriracha john

• 4 weeks later...

Injustice for Thaksin? The drug-war dead must weep

Dear former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra: This is not a letter from hel_l. However, it doesn't matter where I live, or to be exact, where I'm drifting.

Just wanna say "Hi", although you surely don't even know me. We have something in common despite the big difference between us: I'm dead, literally, and you're still alive.

I have been a wandering ghost since police gunned me down in 2003, and I guess you, too, now know how it feels to be a drifter. Again, having to float from one spirit house to another in search of boiled eggs is a far cry from dining and lunching at Harrods or having the world's best roasted duck every other day. But I just want to give you my sympathy all the same.

Yes, the asset freeze is so unfair. What laws did they use to do that to you? Where's the evidence of corruption? Do the rights of suspects mean nothing to them? I mean, they haven't even formally charged you, for crying out loud.

The same happened to me - well, more or less. Just as you were targeted because you were rich, I was picked on by the police because I was poor. I matched their drug-peddler stereotype - aggressive behaviour, a long record of petty crime and possibly having been seen a couple of times with well-known dealers - and the rest is history.

That I was innocent is not the most important point. Should they have done that to me even if I had been selling amphetamines? It could have been an honest mistake on my part, you know. I have come across a few restless spirits like myself who were killed simply because of their past drug records. We deserved formal charges and thus the opportunity to defend ourselves in court, just like you did in 2001 when they tried to "dig up" your past mistakes.

At least you have great lawyers, and I wish you all the best. I didn't stand a chance back in 2003 - not after the most powerful man at the time gave the police a virtual green light. I still remember what he said: "Because drug traders are ruthless to our children, so being ruthless back to them is not a bad thing ... It may be necessary to have casualties ... If there are deaths among traders, it's normal."

I'm not sure which is worse: what happened to you under a military junta or what they did to me under a democratic government. But then again, I was a small, ordinary citizen. If the rulers deemed my death acceptable collateral damage in a noble campaign, what can I say? I'm just a nameless and faceless bit in human-rights reports, and the likes of me are worth mentioning in Western-media editorials only when we drop like flies.

So much self-pity from me, but you've got to understand I didn't have an opportunity to say a word before I died. Some columnists and newspaper editorials did mention the plight of people like me, but the journalists didn't fare much better when that man was in power. I remember authorities initiated a secret probe into many senior journalists' bank accounts and defended the action by citing an anonymous tip-off letter. Do you think that's democratic or "fair" to them?

Well, I'm here to express my sympathy and thus don't want to heap too much upon you. I haven't heard you say sorry about the slain drug suspects even once, but I always assume that's because you're busy. Before I drift away, I offer my heartfelt support. This isn't supposed to happen to anyone. Everybody - big or small, rich or poor, powerful or powerless - should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

But deep down, I believe you will be fine. Even the "unfair" process they apply against you involves subcommittees, committees, lawyers, prosecutors and soon the courts, not to mention the watchful eyes of the local and foreign media. My fate was determined by a blacklist and police on a shooting spree.

Your worst-case scenario is a longer European vacation, a missed chance to own a British football club and a loss of appetite for Peking duck. I'm still having to raid spirit houses every day and cry every night for my rudderless family members.

Yes, the world is so unjust. I wish you the best of luck in telling everyone about the injustice befalling you. And no need to spare a thought for me, because I was as worthless as dead both before and after I died.

- Tulsathit Taptim, The Nation

=====================

:o

Dear former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra: This is not a letter from hel_l. However, it doesn't matter where I live, or to be exact, where I'm drifting.

Just wanna say "Hi", although you surely don't even know me. We have something in common despite the big difference between us: I'm dead, literally, and you're still alive.

I have been a wandering ghost since police gunned me down in 2003, and I guess you, too, now know how it feels to be a drifter. Again, having to float from one spirit house to another in search of boiled eggs is a far cry from dining and lunching at Harrods or having the world's best roasted duck every other day. But I just want to give you my sympathy all the same.

Yes, the asset freeze is so unfair. What laws did they use to do that to you? Where's the evidence of corruption? Do the rights of suspects mean nothing to them? I mean, they haven't even formally charged you, for crying out loud.

The same happened to me - well, more or less. Just as you were targeted because you were rich, I was picked on by the police because I was poor. I matched their drug-peddler stereotype - aggressive behaviour, a long record of petty crime and possibly having been seen a couple of times with well-known dealers - and the rest is history.

That I was innocent is not the most important point. Should they have done that to me even if I had been selling amphetamines? It could have been an honest mistake on my part, you know. I have come across a few restless spirits like myself who were killed simply because of their past drug records. We deserved formal charges and thus the opportunity to defend ourselves in court, just like you did in 2001 when they tried to "dig up" your past mistakes.

At least you have great lawyers, and I wish you all the best. I didn't stand a chance back in 2003 - not after the most powerful man at the time gave the police a virtual green light. I still remember what he said: "Because drug traders are ruthless to our children, so being ruthless back to them is not a bad thing ... It may be necessary to have casualties ... If there are deaths among traders, it's normal."

I'm not sure which is worse: what happened to you under a military junta or what they did to me under a democratic government. But then again, I was a small, ordinary citizen. If the rulers deemed my death acceptable collateral damage in a noble campaign, what can I say? I'm just a nameless and faceless bit in human-rights reports, and the likes of me are worth mentioning in Western-media editorials only when we drop like flies.

So much self-pity from me, but you've got to understand I didn't have an opportunity to say a word before I died. Some columnists and newspaper editorials did mention the plight of people like me, but the journalists didn't fare much better when that man was in power. I remember authorities initiated a secret probe into many senior journalists' bank accounts and defended the action by citing an anonymous tip-off letter. Do you think that's democratic or "fair" to them?

Well, I'm here to express my sympathy and thus don't want to heap too much upon you. I haven't heard you say sorry about the slain drug suspects even once, but I always assume that's because you're busy. Before I drift away, I offer my heartfelt support. This isn't supposed to happen to anyone. Everybody - big or small, rich or poor, powerful or powerless - should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

But deep down, I believe you will be fine. Even the "unfair" process they apply against you involves subcommittees, committees, lawyers, prosecutors and soon the courts, not to mention the watchful eyes of the local and foreign media. My fate was determined by a blacklist and police on a shooting spree.

Your worst-case scenario is a longer European vacation, a missed chance to own a British football club and a loss of appetite for Peking duck. I'm still having to raid spirit houses every day and cry every night for my rudderless family members.

Yes, the world is so unjust. I wish you the best of luck in telling everyone about the injustice befalling you. And no need to spare a thought for me, because I was as worthless as dead both before and after I died.

=====================

Thanks for posting this.I was rather moved by this article and Khun Tulsathit doesn't make the mistake of grieving for the "innocent" alone.Even the "guilty" were to be pitied in this tragedy, as I suppose were the policemen involved in the murders.What a scourge drugs are and hopefully any new Thai government will follow more enlightened policies.Clearly presiding over this inglorious episode in the moral scheme of things was Thaksin's worst offence.So why are hearing absolutely nothing from the authorities on this?It's almost as if the episode and its victims have been consigned forgotten to history.Answers on a postcard please but a clue might be that the Bangkok elite is itself metaphorically speaking covered in the victims blood.

=====================

Thanks for posting this.I was rather moved by this article and Khun Tulsathit doesn't make the mistake of grieving for the "innocent" alone.Even the "guilty" were to be pitied in this tragedy, as I suppose were the policemen involved in the murders.What a scourge drugs are and hopefully any new Thai government will follow more enlightened policies.Clearly presiding over this inglorious episode in the moral scheme of things was Thaksin's worst offence.So why are hearing absolutely nothing from the authorities on this?It's almost as if the episode and its victims have been consigned forgotten to history.Answers on a postcard please but a clue might be that the Bangkok elite is itself metaphorically speaking covered in the victims blood.

Nothing is mentioned because over 90% of the population approved of the drugs war, but as you say it was Thaksin's worst offence.

He set targets for provincial governors to follow, similar to sales projections when he was running AIS, a certain percentage to be caught, arrested, and a certain percentage to be 'disposed of'. His speeches at the time make this quite clear.

And those police chiefs, governors, who didn't meet the targets faced dismissal, like failed salesmen.

His motives were personal, apart from hoping for political gain- his children's dabblings.

I don't think the Bangkok elite are covered in blood, more like several police and clandestine army units- too much for a coup to take on.

Edited by Siripon

I don't think the Bangkok elite are covered in blood, more like several police and clandestine army units- too much for a coup to take on.

If it would only be these clandestine units, it would actually be rather easy for a coup to take them on. These units are not exactly unknown to the the many different security agencies.

Yet - after a bit of PR the drug war investigations have more or less completely disappeared from the radar. As if nothing happened.

Nothing is mentioned because over 90% of the population approved of the drugs war, but as you say it was Thaksin's worst offence.

He set targets for provincial governors to follow, similar to sales projections when he was running AIS, a certain percentage to be caught, arrested, and a certain percentage to be 'disposed of'. His speeches at the time make this quite clear.

And those police chiefs, governors, who didn't meet the targets faced dismissal, like failed salesmen.

His motives were personal, apart from hoping for political gain- his children's dabblings.

Looks like a little more than a dabbler...

youngandrich.jpg

but then again, young pubescent teenagers with a father-figure away for months on end can easily be led astray.... uhmmm... he is a young pubescent teenager, right?

Edited by sriracha john

• 1 month later...

General news B.Post Sunday July 22, 2007

DSI findings on drugs war death contradict police account

9 year-old boy shot dead during raid

By Onnucha Hutasingh

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said yesterday that the investigation into the death of a nine-year-old boy during the war on drugs four years ago contradicted the results of an internal police enquiry. DSI director-general Sunai Manomai-udom said the findings on Nong Fluke's death by his department's probe team did not correlate with the investigation results earlier submitted by the Royal Thai Police.

Nong Fluke, or Chakrapan Srisa-ard, was killed during the ''war on drugs'' campaign in March 2003 in Bangkok's Lan Luang area when police opened fire on a car driven by his fleeing mother, Mrs Pornwipa. She escaped and disappeared. His father, Sathaporn, was arrested in a sting operation for peddling 6,000 methamphetamine pills.

Unqoute

Please go to the url for the full article:-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jul2007_news04.php

Especially for those who seem to think the EJK,s are on the back burner.

Perhaps also a timely reminder to those who are seemingly going of topic in at least one other non related thread who by doing so are, unintentionally i would hope, shifting the accountability along with comparing it to matters of less importance, humanity wise of course.

While all Thaksins wrong doings are important the EJK,s one is about the right to live and being afforded the right to do so.

IMHO as always.

This act of murder will not go away and will remain one of Thaksins two most infamous acts / non interventions during his years as CEO.

marshbags

still :o and :D by the flippancy of such a crime within Thailand among the ex ruling Puyai who are covered in blood.

They could have, if they had so wished infuenced their leader and thereby put a stop to this evil vendetta long before the majority of mass killings took place.

By the way where on earth did you get the figures of.....90% approval of the " drug war " Siripon ???????

Edited by marshbags

Amazing.

You people are so obsessed with Thaskin and past history that you totally miss whats going on at the moment.

There is a military regime in control at the moment and they are proposing to enshrine in law an act that gives them the right to do what they want, when they want under the name of national security.

Wake up and see whats actually happening NOW, rather than debating what happened years ago. If you think Thaksin was a dictator, just wait until the military start running the show behind the scenes of a pseudo democracy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126253

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

Posts have been deleted. Further disregard of this rule will lead to suspension.

Amazing.

You people are so obsessed with Thaskin and past history that you totally miss whats going on at the moment.

There is a military regime in control at the moment and they are proposing to enshrine in law an act that gives them the right to do what they want, when they want under the name of national security.

Wake up and see whats actually happening NOW, rather than debating what happened years ago. If you think Thaksin was a dictator, just wait until the military start running the show behind the scenes of a pseudo democracy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126253

The Internal Security bill will not be passed under the present government, believe me Ando.

The army would like to, having an authoritarian mindset, but they know civil society will not accept it.

If Aphisit and the Democrats form the next government there's no way it will become law, but if TRT, Thai Ruam Thai, or Thai Ruam Jai are the core, well who knows?

The Nation

Mon, July 23, 2007 : Last updated 0:03 am

Victims to be given assistance

Compensation will be decided by new commissionPublished on July 22, 2007

The Justice Ministry has asked former attorney-general Kanit na Nakorn to head a commission looking into compensation for the victims of the previous government's war on drugs.

Justice permanent secretary Charan Pakdithanakul said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont ordered the government to deal with "negative consequences" of the 2003 anti-drugs policy.

More than 2,500 people were killed during the crackdown ordered by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Many were allegedly killed extrajudicially, leading to sharp international and domestic criticism.

Charan said the government wanted the commission to offer compensation and other assistance to those injured and the relatives of those killed.

"We'll examine the official record to see how many innocent people were killed or injured during the crackdown. We'll propose measures to prevent such a thing from happening again," he said.

The Justice Ministry will submit names of potential commission members to the Cabinet within two weeks.

However, Charan denied that the commission was asked to identify those responsible for executing the policy.

"We'll be responsible for fact-finding and issuing statements to clarify the situation to the public and international community so that there is understanding.

"This should help restore our international image, which was tarnished during the war on narcotics, as far as the protection of human rights is concerned," Charan said.

Earlier, former senator Kraisak Choonhavan said state officials could have been involved in extrajudicial killings.

This prompted the United Nations to ask the government to respond to questions on the protection of human rights.

Unquote

marshbags

Ref url http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/23...on_30041948.php