Schengen Visa for my Thai Wife

Hello,

I have a British passport and married to a Thai been together about 4 years, we lived in the UK for about 2 years, her UK visa has finished now. I want to visit my brother in Spain for a couple of weeks and then travel to Germany for a holiday is it a straight forward process getting a Schengen Visa for her ?

Thanks

given the upcoming 'brexit' vote i don't think anyone can tell you what will happen to the schengen agreement.

getting a schengen visa from the germans for my thai girlfriend - i am australian now - was anything but straight forward.

despite 'buergschaftserklaerung' (a financial guarantee) from my brother in law and fulfilling all listed requirements including business class return ticket, full insurance, financial statements etc.

they (thai staff at the german embassy) made her jump through a lot of hoops, she had to fly back home to get more papers, such as her divorce stuff, birth certificates of the children - who were not to travel with us!

it cost us a lot of time and a fair chunk of money. all i can advise is be prepared for absolutely everything.

given the upcoming 'brexit' vote i don't think anyone can tell you what will happen to the schengen agreement.

getting a schengen visa from the germans for my thai girlfriend - i am australian now - was anything but straight forward.

despite 'buergschaftserklaerung' (a financial guarantee) from my brother in law and fulfilling all listed requirements including business class return ticket, full insurance, financial statements etc.

they (thai staff at the german embassy) made her jump through a lot of hoops, she had to fly back home to get more papers, such as her divorce stuff, birth certificates of the children - who were not to travel with us!

it cost us a lot of time and a fair chunk of money. all i can advise is be prepared for absolutely everything.

I had the same nightmare earlier this year getting a Schengen visa for Italy.

Far more difficult, cumbersome and disorganised compared to getting a UK visa.

What extra stuff did they ask for jip99

It wasn't so much extra stuff as the 'system'.I speak as someone who has obtained 4 UK visas for my GF and over 20 for others.

I was aware that my GF could apply direct at the Italian embassy OR apply via VFS. At the embassy she was turned away - twice.

At VFS they would not accept me as sponsor (because we were not married) and she was told that she had to show money in the bank to cover her time in Italy. A joke - I had booked a 4 day trip to Rome so she needed to show less than EUR 100. The hotel booking wasn't accepted because her name wasn't on it. etc, etc. They said they wanted evidence that she would be likely to return to Thailand - I said no they didn't as we had return flights to London and the UK visa had already been granted on the basis of the UK authorities being satisfied on that point.

You cannot pre-book appointments at VFS (as you can for the UK). she arrived at 11.00 am and was given queue number 172 - they were serving number 58. She was eventually seen early in the evening and well past normal closing time. The application was rejected and we made some alterations to the application - the manager was actually quite helpful and he took my complaint phone call.

Although there was no booking system it seems that queue tickets were handed out from 5.00 am in the morning. I finished up paying the premium service fee on day 2 as that was the only way the manager could guarantee processing her that day (and we had flights booked for that afternoon),

• Like 1

grankboy,

The EEA freedom of movement treaty rights extend to all EEA nationals and their qualifying non EEA national family members.

A wife is a qualifying family member, a girlfriend is not. Although girlfriends can qualify as a family member if they meet the requirements for an unmarried partner. These requirements vary from member state to member state. For example the UK requirement is living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years; I don't know what the Italian ones are. Whatever they are, no visa section will take an applicant and sponsor's word for it; proof would have been required.

As your wife is the spouse of, and travelling with, an EU national (you) she is definitely a qualifying family member and so should obtain her visa for free and with minimal evidence, as theoldgit says, and should not experience any of the difficulties experienced by Jipp99 and manfredtillmann where, for both, the applicant was a girlfriend, not spouse, and at least one of them is not an EU national.

Although, as theoldgit says, the Spanish can be difficult; despite their requirements being against the treaty and therefore illegal!

• Like 1

As my wife has held a British passport for many years, we've no recent experience ourselves.

But from what others have posted elsewhere, The Netherlands, France, Italy seem simple in most cases where the applicant is a qualifying family member of an EEA national.

Spain isn't too difficult, except, as Donutz says here

they (Spain) also illegally insist of "proof of registration of the marriage in the EU citizens home country" (see The Old Git's reply a few posts up). Plus that the Spaniards aren't keen on direct applications, trying to make people bugger of to VFS (less competent, costs a servce fee) dispite the VFS site correctly saying that they are optional (by the rules one has right of direct access to the embassy without VFS or other third party).

However, strictly speaking you should apply to the country which is your main destination, or if touring the country via which you will enter the Schengen area.

Though once issued, a Schengen visa is valid for all member states, and people's plans can and do change.

• Like 1

I assume Grankboy has a good idea where to get started if working with the information provided by GoG en 7by7 in this topic.

What extra stuff did they ask for jip99

It wasn't so much extra stuff as the 'system'.I speak as someone who has obtained 4 UK visas for my GF and over 20 for others.

I was aware that my GF could apply direct at the Italian embassy OR apply via VFS. At the embassy she was turned away - twice.

At VFS they would not accept me as sponsor (because we were not married) and she was told that she had to show money in the bank to cover her time in Italy. A joke - I had booked a 4 day trip to Rome so she needed to show less than EUR 100. The hotel booking wasn't accepted because her name wasn't on it. etc, etc. They said they wanted evidence that she would be likely to return to Thailand - I said no they didn't as we had return flights to London and the UK visa had already been granted on the basis of the UK authorities being satisfied on that point.

You cannot pre-book appointments at VFS (as you can for the UK). she arrived at 11.00 am and was given queue number 172 - they were serving number 58. She was eventually seen early in the evening and well past normal closing time. The application was rejected and we made some alterations to the application - the manager was actually quite helpful and he took my complaint phone call.

Although there was no booking system it seems that queue tickets were handed out from 5.00 am in the morning. I finished up paying the premium service fee on day 2 as that was the only way the manager could guarantee processing her that day (and we had flights booked for that afternoon),

Mind that direct access does not mean instant access. The Italian embassy has instructions on how to apply for a direct application (by appointment!) on their website. If she just showed up at the gate your girlfriend was rightfully refused. If she made an appointment as per the instructions (which should be granted within 2 weeks), and then was refused, the Italians would obviously be wrong. In that case I'd send a complaint and forward any response to the EU Commission (via EU Home Affairs). If embassies neglected to properly apply the (visa) rules, there is every reason to complain. One complaint may not change a thing, but if lots of complaints together will get noticed eventually and things could change. If it's not the Italians themselves (be it the embassy or their supervisors back in Italy) then the EU might slap them on the wrist for continuesly ignoring the guidelines, rules etc.

Who rejected the application? VFS can't reject the application, they will need to forward it to the embassy. VFS may suggest that some papers are either missing or not needed and they could be right, but they are also wrong at times. VFS staff has a good chanche of messing up when it concerns a more rare type of application (say a Thai person heading onwards to the UK after the Schengen trip, and then VFS insisting on a return ticket from the Schengen area to BKK... ). If they do mess up, complain to the embassy. The embassy may update the checklists, so that VFS "let's thick boxes on this chcklist" staff may do a better job next time...

Edited by Donutz

However, strictly speaking you should apply to the country which is your main destination, or if touring the country via which you will enter the Schengen area.

No, that is tourist visa thinking.

The family member of a eu citizen should apply to the country of the first entry to the schengen area.

So what's the easiest EU country to get. Schengen visa for, anyone know.

Seems bring married is the major part of getting it done with little problems.

Though we didn't apply in Thailand (we are in Japan) and the Norwegian embassy didn't seem to know that the visa is free, no hotels or insurance needed ours was fast and, when the facts were pointed out, free as it should be
  • Like 1

I had the same nightmare earlier this year getting a Schengen visa for Italy.

Far more difficult, cumbersome and disorganised compared to getting a UK visa.

Strange, my GF and I went to Rome and Scilly last year and she applied at the Italian embassy in BKK without me being there. WE had no problem, she applied for a 7 days visa and got exactly that. Next time we will apply for more time as it made the trip quite short. We were only staying in Rome 2 days and then onto a friends house in Scilly so there was minimal accommodation.

• Like 1

What a hassle. Being American (non EU in spite of many Thais thinking US is part of Europe) and wanting to take Thai gf to visit friends in Hungary.... OMG. 30k worth of health insurance? among other things. Looked at it and said "screw it. We'll go somewhere else."

What a hassle. Being American (non EU in spite of many Thais thinking US is part of Europe) and wanting to take Thai gf to visit friends in Hungary.... OMG. 30k worth of health insurance? among other things. Looked at it and said "screw it. We'll go somewhere else."

The EUR 30k cover is not expensive for a Thai (depending on the length of stay) and you would be wise to have travel/medical insurance anyway.

• Like 1

Even if the brexit vote goes with the UK leaving the EU it's going to take a couple of years before there are any changes, so I wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

Yes the Schengen visa should be fairly straightforward, the fact that your wife no longer has a UK visa is irrelevant, as it seems you don't intend visiting there.

Your wife should apply for a visa for the Schengen Area destination where she intends spending the most time, if she intends spending the same time in each, ie there's no main destination, then she should apply at the Consulate with jurisdiction for the country in which she enters Schengen.

As you are married the application should be quite straightforward, as she's the wife of an EU National the visa should be issued free, and she shouldn't need to provide evidence of accommodation, funds, insurance and travel, just evidence that she's your wife and you're an EU National.

That said some consulates don't comply with the rules in their entirety, I understand the Spanish don't, or at least have put obstacles in place, I don't know about the Germans, I'm sure some members who have come across these hurdles will pass on their experiences.

She could apply for a regular Schengen Visa but she would have to supply all the evidence and pay for the application.

You might want to have a read of the helpful pinned topic that member Donutz put together. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

"As you are married the application should be quite straightforward, as she's the wife of an EU National the visa should be issued free, and she shouldn't need to provide evidence of accommodation, funds, insurance and travel, just evidence that she's your wife and you're an EU National."

... and that you're traveling together or meeting there.

No, that is tourist visa thinking.

The family member of a eu citizen should apply to the country of the first entry to the schengen area.

Where the freedom of movement directive provides to explicit instructions the general rules of the visa rules ( in this case the Schengen Code on Visa) applies. This means that you must apply to the country that is your main destination. If there is no main destination you apply at the country of first entry.

Ofcourse plans can change... And those who meet the requirements set out in the directive are still legal aliens/visitors even if the visa would expire.

• Like 1

I had my girlfriend 5 weeks to holland the travel insurance was 3 euro a day.

If my wife (Thai) applies for Schengen visa say for France and I presume she should apply to the French embassy here in the UK (where we live), advising that we are travelling to France for a long weekend or similar, can we request a 12 month visa due to our intention

to visit France more than once during the 12 month period, as well as possibly travelling to other european countries under the Schengen agreement?

Or is it a matter of applying each time we want to travel to a country under the Schengen agreement?

Tks

"If my wife (Thai) applies for Schengen visa say for France and I presume she should apply to the French embassy here in the UK (where we live),"

Indeed, the French embassy in London would be the place to go (though if you happen to be in BKK or any other place in the world you could apply via the nearest French embassy or embassy that represents France in visa matters).

"can we request a 12 month visa due to our intention to visit France more than once during the 12 month period, as well as possibly travelling to other european countries under the Schengen agreement?"

You could, but most if not all Schengen embassies are not too keen on issueing Mulitple Entry visas (MEV). No harm in asking though, I'd add a short explination in an accompanying letter. And you might get Lucky if you'd include some sort of more concrete paperwork that shows future holiday plans.

"Or is it a matter of applying each time we want to travel to a country under the Schengen agreement? "

They could, though embassies are adviced to issue MEV if the alien has had mulitple previous visa's or clear indication that there will be mulitple travels (entries and exits across the Schengen external border). Saving the embassy and applicant time and money when it's Obvious that the alien is a trusted traveler. Some embassies seem to have a phobia against issueing MEV though. In the new Schengen rules that have been drafted (2014) -but not yet passed- MEV would become a right, issued automatically after X visits in a certain amount of time.

Edit: visa statistics may give a idea on how flexible, easy going or phobic embassies are:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/index_en.htm#stats

Download the excel files, look up the tab concerning global statics, and look up the embassy and nation you are interested in (such as UK, French embassy, London). One column concerns % of MEV issued.

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1

Although I agree with 7by7 that you should be able to travel as a spouse of an EU citizen, when I applied last year for a Schengen visa to visit France, the embassy insisted that I had a ferry (or other travel) booked as well as accommodation. I booked both and presented the evidence and then cancelled the hotel!! Also I did ask for a longer visa as I intended to visit Spain later that year, they did give me a visa for about 9 months I think so worth asking for a longer period if you intend to travel to another Schengen area.

• Like 1

Some statistics from EU home affairs (can't get the table pasted into this forum sad.png ):

State- Consulate - Share of MEV - Not issued rate
Belgium - BANGKOK - 62,9% - 7,6%
France - BANGKOK - 44,6% - 4,6%
Germany - BANGKOK - 11,5% 2,3%
Italy - BANGKOK - 25,3% -1,9%
Netherlands - BANGKOK -99,6% -3,2%
Spain BANGKOK - 1,2% - 1,1%

France EDINBURGH - 5,9% - 4,5%
Germany EDINBURGH 6,9% 0,3%
Italy EDINBURGH 31,8% 1,2%
Netherlands EDINBURGH 67,3% 2,5%
Spain EDINBURGH 13,1% 0,5%

Belgium LONDON 60,7% 8,0%
France LONDON 32,4% 2,5%
Germany LONDON 8,5% 1,9%
Italy LONDON 86,5% 3,7%
Netherlands LONDON 76,3% 3,5%
Spain LONDON 0,7% 2,0%

Netherlands MANCHESTER 81,1%

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/index_en.htm#stats --> Visa statistics for consulates, 2015 f_excel12book_16.gif [638 KB]

"If my wife (Thai) applies for Schengen visa say for France and I presume she should apply to the French embassy here in the UK (where we live),"

Indeed, the French embassy in London would be the place to go (though if you happen to be in BKK or any other place in the world you could apply via the nearest French embassy or embassy that represents France in visa matters).

"can we request a 12 month visa due to our intention to visit France more than once during the 12 month period, as well as possibly travelling to other european countries under the Schengen agreement?"

You could, but most if not all Schengen embassies are not too keen on issueing Mulitple Entry visas (MEV). No harm in asking though, I'd add a short explination in an accompanying letter. And you might get Lucky if you'd include some sort of more concrete paperwork that shows future holiday plans.

"Or is it a matter of applying each time we want to travel to a country under the Schengen agreement? "

They could, though embassies are adviced to issue MEV if the alien has had mulitple previous visa's or clear indication that there will be mulitple travels (entries and exits across the Schengen external border). Saving the embassy and applicant time and money when it's Obvious that the alien is a trusted traveler. Some embassies seem to have a phobia against issueing MEV though. In the new Schengen rules that have been drafted (2014) -but not yet passed- MEV would become a right, issued automatically after X visits in a certain amount of time.

Edit: visa statistics may give a idea on how flexible, easy going or phobic embassies are:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/index_en.htm#stats

Download the excel files, look up the tab concerning global statics, and look up the embassy and nation you are interested in (such as UK, French embassy, London). One column concerns % of MEV issued.

Tks Donutz appreciate feedback very useful and informative....

Try the Swedish Embassy. Sweden treats cohabiting couples the same as married couples. Just need to prove that you are indeed cohabiting

Where the freedom of movement directive provides to explicit instructions the general rules of the visa rules ( in this case the Schengen Code on Visa) applies. This means that you must apply to the country that is your main destination. If there is no main destination you apply at the country of first entry.

Due to article 5 number 2 of the directive the family member of a eu citizen need only a entry visa and not a visa for staying.

Therefore the country of the first entry in the schengen area is responsible for the entry visa.

The right of staying for 3 month is defined in article 6 number 1 and 2 without any formalities except the requirement to hold a valid passport and aditionally for the family member to accompany or join the EU citizen.

Despite that it is easier to prove the right of staying with a visa for the family member.

Try the Swedish Embassy. Sweden treats cohabiting couples the same as married couples. Just need to prove that you are indeed cohabiting

The EEA regulations treat cohabiting couples the same as married ones; although the period of cohabitation before they are treated so is up to each member state.

For the UK, which while not a Schengen state is a member of the EEA so the regulations apply, it's a minimum of two years prior to the application; do you know how long for Sweden?

Of course, married or not the freedom of movement regulations, and therefore simplified application requirements, only apply if one of the partners is an EEA national and the non EEA national partner is travelling with or to join them.

Due to article 5 number 2 of the directive the family member of a eu citizen need only a entry visa and not a visa for staying.

Therefore the country of the first entry in the schengen area is responsible for the entry visa.

The right of staying for 3 month is defined in article 6 number 1 and 2 without any formalities except the requirement to hold a valid passport and aditionally for the family member to accompany or join the EU citizen.

Despite that it is easier to prove the right of staying with a visa for the family member.

I agree, indeed because any stay in a member state (other then the one that the EU/EEA/CH national is a citizen of) would be legal (if meeting the demands set out in D 2004/38) anyway. Such a stay would not even count to the maximum 90 days per 180 days rules, you could even keep moving about from memberstate to memberstate indefinitely. But all that can mean long discussions with authorities (embassies). So that is why I'd apply at the country that is the main goal, especially if one might plan on asking for residence there. But if it's easier to deal with the embassy of the country you intent to enter first, that wuold work too. Even any other member state could issue the visa so any embassy would do... you just need to get to the border and show a valid visa or obtain a visa at the border* and cross it.

Edit: * if you manage to proof that you meet the conditions set out in Directive 2004/38.

Edited by Donutz