EU gives Thailand until year’s end to solve illegal fishing

webfact

EU gives Thailand until year’s end to solve illegal fishing

BANGKOK, 15 June 2016 (NNT) – The European Union (EU) views that Thailand is progressing in the right direction to solve IUU fishing issue and has agreed to give Thailand until year-end to solve this issue, says DPM.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Gen Prawit Wongsuwan spoke regarding the Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) fishing situation in Thailand, that the European Union has acknowledge Thailand’s attempt to solve this issue. The EU believes the Kingdom's progress is in the right direction.

He said Thailand was given until this year’s end to solve the situation, according to the EU’s suggestions.

Thailand is bearing a yellow card warning from the EU related to IUU fishing. A good response to this issue will help deescalate the situation, although it cannot guarantee the revocation of the warning by the EU, the DPM has said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-15 footer_n.gif

I read the OP and the above posts, however, I see nothing in any of them to support what the DPM said is going to happen. Not a single quote from the EU, not a single identified source from the EU, just more huff and puff from the DPM.

But hell, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I read the OP and the above posts, however, I see nothing in any of them to support what the DPM said is going to happen. Not a single quote from the EU, not a single identified source from the EU, just more huff and puff from the DPM.

Just done a news trawl - pun intended - and I cannot find anything from the EU (IUU) Fisheries site or other news agencies. According to the Bangkok Post of a few days ago, the Thai government is due to meet the EU Fisheries Commissioner in July.

So what does Prawit know, and how does he know it before the meeting has been held, agreements reached and press statements released?

Just done a news trawl - pun intended - and I cannot find anything from the EU (IUU) Fisheries site or other news agencies. According to the Bangkok Post of a few days ago, the Thai government is due to meet the EU Fisheries Commissioner in July.

So what does Prawit know, and how does he know it before the meeting has been held, agreements reached and press statements released?

I suspect it is a "Thai face thing".

Now they put words in the mouth of the EU and the EU has no other option than to confirm, otherwise Thailand will lose face.

And loss of face can result in defamation charges, being shot, getting a spell put on you at the local temple, etc.

In short though, an unadulterated disgrace that the awful practices are allowed to continue on while the EU pussyfoots around

The Thai overseas fisheries president: most of the stories are not true? Typical. Sanctions right now on Thailand is the only way to sort this. In the meantime, the big companies, like Nestle and John West, should be made to cough up what is owed to the workers -- $35M is F all. Can't see the EU doing much; they're more concerned with bent bananas, 'over-powered' vacuum cleaners and appeasement of wrongdoers. Just weak all round.

As an aside, very sad to see what has happened to Burma; a once great, independent nation having to essentially grovel to the Thais.

Edited by daveAustin

Can you believe DPM Partwit, 2 days back he made comments that Johnny brought to our notice, that were entirely out of context with the official UN statement, I'd take this with a grain of salt , the only worry is just how many yellow cards can you get in this game before you are sent off, and what is the betting in the ring for a red card at years end , the EU is much like the UN, a toothless tiger when it comes to managing fisheries in Thailand and did the same leniency apply to Vietnam and Cambodia.

Taking into account your post and that of BigBagGeordie once again it would be nice to see a quote or confirmation from the proper source but as usual it's a Thai official doing the talking.

This sort of thing really needs sorting out and Thailand put properly in its place about diplomatic niceties and protocols but somehow i don't think it would make any difference. After all they live in their own little world.

Can you believe DPM Partwit, 2 days back he made comments that Johnny brought to our notice, that were entirely out of context with the official UN statement, I'd take this with a grain of salt , the only worry is just how many yellow cards can you get in this game before you are sent off, and what is the betting in the ring for a red card at years end , the EU is much like the UN, a toothless tiger when it comes to managing fisheries in Thailand and did the same leniency apply to Vietnam and Cambodia.

I saw that. :)

attachicon.gifdead_fish.png

Something fishy with this story by NNT.

The paper we can't quote was telling a completely different story on 7 June!

In their view (see their web site), the EU is NOT satisfied with progress.

Your are right. What they write here is the oppositewai2.gif

Old post of mine

The full article says the follow statement

The Thai government has already promised to improve both its fishing and labor practices. The EU now wants to see that turned into reality.

The EU commended Thai legislation to curb illegal practices but insisted action on the ground was sorely lacking.

Im sure the next month the government is going to crackdown again.clap2.gif

http://www.theolympi...le82208632.html

Edited by carstenp

attachicon.gifdead_fish.png

Something fishy with this story by NNT.

The paper we can't quote was telling a completely different story on 7 June!

In their view (see their web site), the EU is NOT satisfied with progress.

Your are right. What they write here is the oppositewai2.gif

Old post of mine

The full article says the follow statement

The Thai government has already promised to improve both its fishing and labor practices. The EU now wants to see that turned into reality.

The EU commended Thai legislation to curb illegal practices but insisted action on the ground was sorely lacking.

Im sure the next month the government is going to crackdown again.clap2.gif

http://www.theolympi...le82208632.html

Hub of crackdowns...

W

Yet ANOTHER extension?!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Perhaps EU 'understands' Thailand?

What they don't seem to understand (or perhaps don't care about), is whenever this happens, Thailand spins it into a victory for the superior Thai intellect, or culture or whatever. A victory for the picture perhaps, who knows? I certainly don't - not any more anyway.

Perhaps that's it, perhaps they just don't give s flying fig.

Winnie

Somebody at NNT released the prefabricated news a a month too early.