Best CM District to live in?

Happy Grumpy

I might be moving to CM, I already own condos there, but would be renting a house.

I would prefer a fully detached house in a country field not far from mountains and/or a lake, but also not too far from the city - say 30 minutes on a motorbike.

Which un-urbanized natural district is closest to the city? Perhaps will need to buy a helicopter. biggrin.png

Cheers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like country land head out by the San Kaophaeng? Hot Springs....If you like the hills Mai Rim but the road in/out of CM the traffic is horrid......

Up the Somoeng road has some flat & higher areas to offer with access to the Canal Rd & 108.....Nong Kwai area....

I live in Phrao, ideal. Good local market and shops. The Amphur is farang friendly; as are the indigeous natives. I've lived here 14 years, wouldn't think of anywhere else. 1 hour to CM on the 1001.

Thanks very much for the replies.

I'd like to research and document some of the different districts.

I'll start with Doi Saket and do another district in a few days.

Doi Saket:

ds1.jpg

A long district that stretches back into the mountains.

the main road being the 118

ds2.jpg

From the main town to the junction with The Super Highway - only about 14km.

Natural Attractions:

Mae Kuang Dam/Lake:

Looks good for fishing, can hire boats, etc.

Google Images Mae Kruang Lake.

Now, what about the infrastructure?

Road 118 - one, two, or more lanes? Condition of the road? Commuting into and out of the city during rush hour?

Amenities:

Shopping Center? A big Big C or Tesco Lotus?

Restaurants? Nice Thai places, any Western place? Any live music venues/restaurants/bars?

Schools. any school with an EP or Science Programme? Or just standard Thai schools?

Parks and lifestyle: any nice town parks with exercise equipment etc? Any sports centers: badminton hall or 5 a side football courts etc?

Thanks kindly.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

My wife has two parcels of neighbouring secluded flat land (5.5 rai and 3 rai) in Hang Dong within one km of the soon to be four lane Canal Road, so only twenty minutes or less drive from the city, if you want to have your own house(s) built. Post a comment if you want me to contact you.

San Sai actually is exactly what you describe and for the same reasons I live there.

Me too, and I'm happy.
Incredible as this little village exudes calm of the countryside close to the big city.

San Sai actually is exactly what you describe and for the same reasons I live there.

I have lived in many part of Chiang Mai and San Sai is very, very nice area and not so far as Doi Saket

can't be beaten frankly - quiet and serene and 30 mins from center and even faster when the damned roadworks are finished

Might go completely native. Make it 60 minutes from the city. biggrin.png

If you already own condo's there, why are you asking????

There is actually a difference owning Condos For Rent for investment

Than to Live in a house in a quiet area

Sansai as already noted for ease of getting into the City ,but its rapidly getting built up . .Doi Saket if you want more seclusion ,and open fields ,and dont mind spending 45 minutes getting into town .Mae rim i like also .

Sansai as already noted for ease of getting into the City ,but its rapidly getting built up . .Doi Saket if you want more seclusion ,and open fields ,and dont mind spending 45 minutes getting into town .Mae rim i like also .

thanks.

Is the road from Doi Saket (118) not good? Fully congested during rush hours?

The 118 is a good road ,but has many accidents .People tend to drive way to fast .Many are heading to or returning from Chiang Rai ,Mae sai .Its free moving though until you reach the middle ring road .Then its very congested at peak times ,but ok other times .