Best CM District to live in?

Happy Grumpy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

San Sai , do they have condos there?

if it did it would not be the 'quiet, rural' setting we all love... once the major road works are finished the 118 will be even easier and I use it regularly and rarely have any holdups and this will improve even further

there are two large condos going up near Central Festival which takes me about 10/15 minutes from San Sai

"there is a McDonalds and all that crap"

Most likely more than one, and plz don't include MCD with other, common and low class noodle/chop suey restaurants. Watch your bias, it's showing.

I personally like to drive or ride my bicycle up road 1367 which extends from Hiway 118 to MaeJo, winding along thru the tiny market towns, passing the popular wats and, unfortunately, numerous construction works; condos no doubt. More condos along that road will crowd the travel lanes, resulting in crashes and eventual road widening and straightening: another pleasant feature of lazy T'land gone.

Between Sansai and the main bus station (Arcade bus station ) is what i call Condo land .Probably 15 or so new Condo projects built just in the last 5 years .Most behind Big C (where Carrfue used to be ) ,and very close to Central Festival Shopping mall. In Sansai itself the upmarket Laguna estate ,mostly houses but they have Condos also .

"there is a McDonalds and all that crap"

Most likely more than one, and plz don't include MCD with other, common and low class noodle/chop suey restaurants. Watch your bias, it's showing.

I personally like to drive or ride my bicycle up road 1367 which extends from Hiway 118 to MaeJo, winding along thru the tiny market towns, passing the popular wats and, unfortunately, numerous construction works; condos no doubt. More condos along that road will crowd the travel lanes, resulting in crashes and eventual road widening and straightening: another pleasant feature of lazy T'land gone.

Of course I always watch my bias, I'm not only proud of it but I'm more then happy to show it (off biggrin.png ).

I don't know how you could ever interpret that I was putting McD's and local eateries in the same category.

I mainly eat Thai food and am not a consumer of junk food. I have a few public Facebook pages that highlight the wonderful fresh food of CM.

I know the area you speak of well, I've attached a map of the ride I did yesterday, 64 km on my mountain bike in that exact place.

I went from San Sai on rt. 1367 to rt. 118, crossed it and to Rajabhat University (I think that's the name) in Doi Saket and back - (attachment #1)

I used Uncle Lee Coffee as my 1/2 way mark and coffee stop (https://www.facebook.com/Uncle-Lee-Coffee-1615806232010999/?fref=ts)

If your anything like me and rather avoid cars all together I know lots of dirt roads and single tracks that I'd be happy to show you all around San Sai.

Though yesterday's ride was mainly paved roads there's is a plethora of great off-road riding too around here to enjoy too.

A nice ride is by Mae Jo Golf Course and then by the dams Huai Cho, Huai Kiang, Huai Sak and Mae Kuang w/o ever seeing a car - (attachment #2)

Heck I'll even bring you to one of my local "go to" places to eat after a lovely ride :)

post-101742-0-73144100-1466222053_thumb.

post-101742-0-48721200-1466223667_thumb.

Between Sansai and the main bus station (Arcade bus station ) is what i call Condo land .Probably 15 or so new Condo projects built just in the last 5 years .Most behind Big C (where Carrfue used to be ) ,and very close to Central Festival Shopping mall. In Sansai itself the upmarket Laguna estate ,mostly houses but they have Condos also .

This could be very interesting for me to have a look at. Do yiu have any names of the projects , thanks. Edited by balo

Sansai, that is the area closer to the city, has a number of pretty much run down moo baans. Probably it was hot there 20 years ago before people stopped paying maintenance fees, the developer went on to new pastures and the objects were just left to themselves.

You may look for actively managed developments, I think Koolpunt does a reasonably good job, without abandoning the villages. They are all over, bit more pricey perhaps, but I'd suggest it is worth if you have a pool with water in it :).

Check out the area in which SR Condo and PP Condos are located.

Highly undervalued!

Sorry, but it is real Thai - friendly and accepting though!

Cheap but crap and very downmarket .DONT GO THERE .

Sansai, that is the area closer to the city, has a number of pretty much run down moo baans. Probably it was hot there 20 years ago before people stopped paying maintenance fees, the developer went on to new pastures and the objects were just left to themselves.

You may look for actively managed developments, I think Koolpunt does a reasonably good job, without abandoning the villages. They are all over, bit more pricey perhaps, but I'd suggest it is worth if you have a pool with water in i

Some run down because of age ,but the majority high class ,so i dont know where you are coming from ?

Check out the area in which SR Condo and PP Condos are located.

Highly undervalued!

Sorry, but it is real Thai - friendly and accepting though!

only for those who set low standards and then are not too worried if they are not met

Some run down because of age ,but the majority high class ,so i dont know where you are coming from ?

Been there 3 years ago when househunting and have seen most of it. Many as I said run down, no security, no water in the pool. Abandoned by the developer and locals do not care at all. Or the new built ones completely crammed, narrow, lucky if you find an empty 90 talang wah house, if lucky with aircon, for 5 million. We settled for Hang Dong, did not regret it. But beauty lies in the eye of the beholder :)

Lots of condos around the San Sai/ MaeJo golf course.

Mainly aimed at students with room rents between 1,500 and 2,500bht per month.

Swimming pool at MaeJo university that is open to all local residents, either very cheap or free.

I've splashed out and rented a 2 bedroom house near Baa Muak market for 3,500bht per month.

Edited by MissAndry

>>This could be very interesting for me to have a look at. Do yiu have any names of the projects , thanks. <<

I was driving around there today and took notes .Here is the area i call Condo land ...https://www.google.de/maps/dir/CentralFestival+Chiangmai+%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8B%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A5+%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88,+99,+99%2F1,+99%2F+%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%9B%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C+%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%AE+%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A7+%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C,+%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2+%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7+%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88+4+%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B3%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88,+%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AE%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A1,+%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88+50000,+Thailand/Boat+condo/@18.8056117,99.0189742,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x30da25341c860e03:0x479daf5a0a43e38!2m2!1d99.0182113!2d18.8064796!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xb751e0f49df0abc6!2m2!1d99.024835!2d18.8052012

Some of the Condominiums ,with the newest ones first ,

The Next 2

Boat Condo

One plus.

My Hip Condo 2

Condo D

The Treasure

Jigsaw Condo

Zak residence

Vision Chiang mai

Older Condos in the area .Some have just a Thai name .Some look good ,some run down

Hillside Payap Condo 7 ,8 ,9 .

Lancelot ( also called P and S Mansion )

A4 residence

N.T.Court

Oasis Payap appartments

New Pinky lodge

Sasikorn

House and home residence

T.K Court

Edited by anto

Been there 3 years ago when househunting and have seen most of it. Many as I said run down, no security, no water in the pool. Abandoned by the developer and locals do not care at all. Or the new built ones completely crammed, narrow, lucky if you find an empty 90 talang wah house, if lucky with aircon, for 5 million. We settled for Hang Dong, did not regret it. But beauty lies in the eye of the beholder smile.png

I landed in Sansai by chance ,and like it here .Our Moobaan is 10 years old ,and still being extended with new builds .Good security and well maintained .Hang dong is also nice .Glad you are happy there.

Sansai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Sai_District

ssd.jpg

Next to Doi Saket District.

If traveling say 20km into the city, which road is better for commuting, the 118 leading in from Doi Saket, or the 1001 going from San Sai into the city? Which road is bigger with a better traffic flow?

Thanks.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

San Kamphaeng District

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Kamphaeng_District

Quite a colorful and quaint area from what I remember, famous for its umbrella factories etc.

skd.jpg

It looks like the 1317 is a good road to live near - looks like a decent run into The Superhighway and doesn't look too built up.

Anybody drive along it and can comment?

Thanks.

San Kamphaeng District

Quite a colorful and quaint area from what I remember, famous for its umbrella factories etc.

skd.jpg

It looks like the 1317 is a good road to live near - looks like a decent run into The Superhighway and doesn't look too built up.

Anybody drive along it and can comment?

Thanks.

I used to live out there on the edge of Borsang in a new village. Getting into town on the road past Promenada can be a pain in the rush hour and the string of karaoke bars serenade with a constant thudding every night. Sirimangkalajarn is much quieter.

Thanks. The 118 comes in from Doi Saket, cutting in to San Sai for the final 10km or so.

So if commuting 20km into the city, it looks like the 118 from Doi Saket is the better option of the two for that.

I go 118 then cut through on the road that has Home Pro and turn left then right at Meechok to Nimmanhaemin and it takes 25 minutes

^ Then often wait 20 minutes for the lights to turn green at Maya .;-) Unless you are turning left there ,then those lights are no problem .The road with Homepro is the 121 (outer ring road ) .

Edited by anto

Depends on where your going in city.

I take 1260 to 118 to 3029 to 11 to Saraphi

I go 3029 to 107 for HKK

Etc etc

But may change when construction is finished at 11 & 1001

I wouldn't count on any route that not built up to stay that way.

^ Then often wait 20 minutes for the lights to turn green at Maya .;-) Unless you are turning left there ,then those lights are no problem .The road with Homepro is the 121 (outer ring road ) .

yes but why Maya? i avoid maya completely by turning right at Meechok and past government buildings, past convention center and across past prasert land on left

I have followed this thread with interest, and my one comment is that the question of "which district ?" might, also, be framed as "how do I want to live ?"

If you want to be in physical proximity to other farang for social, or security reasons, that's one thing; if you are willing to live "off the reservation," like I do, i.e., in a Thai neighborhood, that's another.

With the right house-hunting guides, and/or some combination of luck, karma, or serendipity, you just might stumble across a place to rent like the house I found which, by virtue of location, is quiet, has good air, and, yet, still is within a twelve-minute bicycle ride of the Night Bazaar.

In any case, best of luck in finding the accommodation of your heart's desire.

cheers, ~o37;

San Kamphaeng District

Umm.. no. It's a new road, which means there's no public transport, and very little in the way of normal villages. Villages are important because then you have a market nearby and just generally a dose of 'real Thailand'. On the 1317 it's big developments with cookie-cutter homes dumped out there in the middle of nowhere. If the road wasn't congested then that'd be a plus, but try driving into town past Don Chan intersection towards the airport in morning rush hour...

Probably the worst road to be on in Chiang Mai, I think I'd take Mae Rim, Hang Dong or Canal Road / Mae Hia anytime.

Thanks. That is where it becomes the 1141.

Most roads inside the Super Highway will be, when talking about different districts and their roads, I think it's best to talk about how the road is leading into the Super Highway.

It looks okay up until It meets the SH.

1317.jpg

I haven't taken public transport in about 20 years. Hopefully won't for the next 40. biggrin.png

Commute by motorbike, 7-11 run by scooter, family travel by car. For commuting into the city it will be motorbike.

Edited by Happy Grumpy