Increasing foreign tourists generate 1.24 trillion baht revenue in first half

webfact

Increasing foreign tourists generate 1.24 trillion baht revenue in first half

tourism-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The country earns 1.24 trillion baht from over 16 million foreign tourists in the first six months of this year. The tourist arrivals represented a 13% increase from same period last year.

The tourism figures were revealed yesterday by Mr Yuthasak Supasorn, the governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

He said in the first half of this year, 16.67 million foreign visited the country, an increase of 13% from same period last year.

Tourism revenues from these foreign tourists in the first six months also jumped to 1.24 trillion, up 8.24 billion baht or up about 17% from same period last year.

For this year’s first quarter, the number of foreign tourists also increased 15% and in the second quarter 9%.

He attributed the revenue jumps to more tourists from China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan.

They have returned to Bangkok after the deadly Erawan shrine bombing in downtown Bangkok last year.

Meanwhile he estimated that in the third quarter of this year, about eight million tourists, will visit Thailand, and tourism revenue is expected to rise to 635 billion baht, up 14%.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/increasing-foreign-tourists-generate-1-24-trillion-baht-revenue-first-half/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-16

Can you believe this, the Governor released these figures, 16 million visited the country in the first half of the year , which half are you referring to Gov , the first half of the year that finishes for me, is still 14 days away, so obviously your figures don't start from 1/01/2959 / 2016, I await with anticipation for your reply Governor Supasorn.,.................................coffee1.gif On a lighter note 23 million visited Greece last year.

"Tourism revenues from these foreign tourists in the first six months also jumped to 1.24 trillion, up 8.24 billion baht or up about 17% from same period last year."

1.24 trillion = 1,240 billion

(8.24 / 1,240)x100= 0.66 % (less than one percent), not 17%.

Please, when you make things up, do it in a professional way.

Edited by lkv

That's a frightening statement from the TAT governor, full of inaccuracies.... The TAT spreadsheet/calculator must be on the blink again. They should find somebody that can read a calendar and count the number of months..cheesy.gif

That's a frightening statement from the TAT governor, full of inaccuracies.... The TAT spreadsheet/calculator must be on the blink again. They should find somebody that can read a calendar and count the number of months..cheesy.gif

Count? Shouldn't think so

"I just press the black button, then the blue one and the red one to call IT support if it starts smoking...

Smoke bad".

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

I believe and this came from a reliable sauce , they are using a new programme developed in English, so they are reading right to left when it should be left to right ...............................cheesy.gif

I have been back for the first time in 2 years. It is quiet in BKK and Kanchanaburi. Places that were packed at night have plenty of room. Obviously the increasing number of tourists go to different places.

I haven't been back for 3 years. Currently in Manila, and Bali next week.

Maui in April, and will be in Toronto in October after 3 months back in OZ.

Trying to think of a good reason to return to Thailand.

ps; not happy that the Cats beat the Kangas. :)

"Tourism revenues from these foreign tourists in the first six months also jumped to 1.24 trillion, up 8.24 billion baht or up about 17% from same period last year."

1.24 trillion = 1,240 billion

(8.24 / 1,240)x100= 0.66 % (less than one percent), not 17%.

Please, when you make things up, do it in a professional way.

Yeah IKV , I got 2 the second line and gave the B/S away , anyway maths never was my strong point cheesy.gif

I have been back for the first time in 2 years. It is quiet in BKK and Kanchanaburi. Places that were packed at night have plenty of room. Obviously the increasing number of tourists go to different places.

I haven't been back for 3 years. Currently in Manila, and Bali next week.

Maui in April, and will be in Toronto in October after 3 months back in OZ.

Trying to think of a good reason to return to Thailand.

ps; not happy that the Cats beat the Kangas. smile.png

Neither am I tipped the Roo's.

I've been to Thailand 3 times already this year.

The first time I was here, I left Thailand for about an hour and came back.

The second time I was in here, I left Thailand for about an hour.

The third time I left Thailand was for about 33 hours and here I am back again.

Add that to your figures TAT.

Edited by Rayk

Although it's so easy to call the BS, let's take it a little further.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-earning-most-from-tourism.html

According to 2015 data referring to 2014, Thailand generated 38.4 billion US from tourism.

Throughout 2014, the dollar was worth between 32-33 baht so let's call it 32.5

38.4 billion x 32.5 = 1.248 trillion for the whole of 2014.

Now, in 2016, after 2 years of military regime, Thailand is claiming that from a supposed fake 10% increase in tourist numbers (they say it jumped from 28 million to 30 million whatever), mostly Chinese, they are claiming this revenue for the first 6 months of 2016 only.

So basically tourism revenue has doubled compared to 2014, in times of economic slowdown.

Even with a 10% baht devaluation and a 10% tourist number increase, numbers still don't add up.

Great.

Edited by lkv

Thailand must have some humongous underground bunkers somewhere..?

These 'Bunkers' must accomodate millions of tourists at any one time..why?... Because no one else here ever sees the mass of visitors the Tat

claim are here!

So, so many times when I talk to other ex-pats that have been travelling around this nation, it's the same story..Pattaya..dead, Samui..dead, Hua Hin..dead, Phuket..dead.

Now I've heard this since March-time, & for me personally where I stay the Songkran Festival time was the quietest for years for Western visitors, (& many bar-owners have told me that next year over Songkran they think it better to drop the shutters, stay closed for a week & let their girls go home...because this year it was not worth staying open).

That leaves X million Chinese visitors hiding somewhere...?

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-earning-most-from-tourism.html

According to 2015 data referring to 2014, Thailand generated 38.4 billion US from tourism.

Now, in 2016, after 2 years of military regime, Thailand is claiming that from a supposed fake 10% increase in tourist numbers (they say it jumped from 28 million to 30 million whatever), mostly Chinese, they are claiming this revenue for the first 6 months of 2016 only.

So basically tourism revenue has doubled compared to 2014, in times of economic slowdown.

Even with a 10% baht devaluation and a 10% tourist number increase, numbers still don't add up.

Great.

Seems like tourist spend double amount of money here than other countries in Asean

They said Malaysia, for example, recorded 27,437,315 tourism arrivals in 2014, generating US$ 16.69 billion in revenue. However, Thailand with lower tourism arrivals of 24,779,668 grossed nearly double that amount at US$ 38.4 billion.

Source http://en.qdnd.vn/vietnam-and-asean/optimizing-travel-and-tourism-for-economic-growth/407249.html

Edited by carstenp

Great.

Seems like tourist spend double amount of money here than other countries in Asean

They said Malaysia, for example, recorded 27,437,315 tourism arrivals in 2014, generating US$ 16.69 billion in revenue. However, Thailand with lower tourism arrivals of 24,779,668 grossed nearly double that amount at US$ 38.4 billion.

Source http://en.qdnd.vn/vietnam-and-asean/optimizing-travel-and-tourism-for-economic-growth/407249.html

think we can all agree thailand has the best working girls, they must be twice as good as the rest of the countries at relieving us of our hard earned.

think we can all agree thailand has the best working girls, they must be twice as good as the rest of the countries at relieving us of our hard earned.

Sorry, when you say "us", are you Chinese? Because most of the farang tourists seem to have vanished in the last couple of years. :)

Edited by lkv

Or they don't exist!

Sorry, when you say "us", are you Chinese? Because most of the farang tourists seem to have vanished in the last couple of years. smile.png

us, the general punting public. still a few of us around. we have just had to up the game to compensate as there are less of us around.

I've been to Thailand 3 times already this year.

The first time I was here, I left Thailand for about an hour and came back.

The second time I was in here, I left Thailand for about an hour.

The third time I left Thailand was for about 33 hours and here I am back again.

Add that to your figures TAT.

Not sure the figures from people visa hopping would add up. I am sure they will at some point in the future consider the

$500 you spent in Thailand. Until then...

Absolutely inaccurate rubbish. They are making this stuff up, as they go along. Here is a direct quote from the Tourism Authority of Thailand:

The average hotel occupancy in PKK province, mainly contributed by Hua Hin was 55-65% in the first four months of this year, compared to 67-70% in the same period the year before. The number of trips fell 21% to 1.55 million, and tourism revenue dropped 19% to 8.92 billion baht, in the first four months of 2016. Revenue from international tourists declined 13% to 3.39 billion baht, while revenue from domestic travel went down 22% to 5.57 billion baht. Granted that is only one province, but one that attracts both Thai and foreign tourists.

Tourism is down. No matter how you look at it, the industry is down. Try as hard as you will to put a pretty face on the situation, it does not help the hoteliers, the restauranteurs, the owners of shops, cafes, coffee shops, massage shops, spas, etc.