Bangkok to Poipet visa run

Hi

I am from Norway and I want to do a visa run in a few days. I only got 30 days visa exempt stamp in my passport. I wont get any trouble doing a land crossing at Poipet I hope?

Yours sincerely

Rolf /Denarion

Edited by denarion

• No need for a border run, you can apply for a 30 day extension of stay at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

• There are mixed reports from Poipet. Personally I wouldn't take the chance at that border. One of the Laos border crossings would be safer.

If you do a visa exempt entry at a land border you will only get 15 days.

Problem with the extension is that I need to leave the country by airplane then. I really don't want that. I know it is only 15 days

No you don't. You can get a 30 day extension at an immigration office, and you do not need to leave the country or provide any flight information.

• Like 1

I have been to immigration and done extension before. It says: Extension of stay permitted up to .... Holder must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein, offenders will be prosecuted..

By that I mean after I have used up the extension I need to leave Thailand by plane..

I have been to immigration and done extension before. It says: Extension of stay permitted up to .... Holder must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein, offenders will be prosecuted..

By that I mean after I have used up the extension I need to leave Thailand by plane..

No you don't. At the end of a 30 day extension you must leave the country but you can leave by land or air.

• If you are still within the 30 days granted on entry to the country you can easily extend it by 30 days.
  • If you have already extended the 30 days granted on entry to the country by 30 days then you'll have to do a border run.
  • Like 1

• No need for a border run, you can apply for a 30 day extension of stay at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.
  • There are mixed reports from Poipet. Personally I wouldn't take the chance at that border. One of the Laos border crossings would be safer.
  • If you do a visa exempt entry at a land border you will only get 15 days.

I agree there is no need to do a border run since an extension of stay can be sought at immigration. However, I don't think the Cambodian borders are a problem. Only the Burmese ones are, because, unlike the Cambodian ones they operate on a dual system. No Myanmar visa = you must return to Thailand. Therefore, Thai immigration doesn't like that because it looks like you are extending your stay in Thailand against the rules of the visa exemption scheme.

The OP could go to Poipet, stay a night then return (which is safer than coming back the same day), but unless he's into gambling he's really wasting his time. Getting a 30 day extension at Chaeng Wattana is not nearly as painful an experience as some make it out to be. It's actually a lot more pleasant than spending hours on a van/bus crossing a dusty, dirty border crossing like Poipet, dealing with the rip-off crooks on the Cambodian side then returning to Thailand and spending another few hours on a van or bus.

ok thanks for the fast and informative replies.. I think I will do an extension of stay then at Chaeng Wattana immigration. Then later on I might try to fix non-immigration type 0 ( since I am married ) is there much paperwork to fix that nowdays for Norwegians? and is Ventiane the place to go or? Im thinkg of non-immigration type 0 then when Im back to Thailand maybe try get married visa... but I hear it is maybe harder nowdays ?

Yours

Denarion

ok thanks for the fast and informative replies.. I think I will do an extension of stay then at Chaeng Wattana immigration. Then later on I might try to fix non-immigration type 0 ( since I am married ) is there much paperwork to fix that nowdays for Norwegians? and is Ventiane the place to go or? Im thinkg of non-immigration type 0 then when Im back to Thailand maybe try get married visa... but I hear it is maybe harder nowdays ?

Yours

Denarion

If you are married you can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife from CW immigration. You will need to take your wife with you. It's the same cost (1,900 baht) as a 30 day extension for tourism.

You can get a single entry non 'O' from Vientiane easily. A 1 year extension of stay will require more paperwork but if you enquire here nearer the time someone will be able to give you a list of required documents.

I tried that last time elviajero but I only did get 30 days since I need to get the extension close to her home they said which is Korat. (close to her home which is Buriram. )

As long as you use an address in the area of the office you're applying at it shouldn't matter where your wife's registered address is. If your local office won't play ball then I guess you'll have to go for the 30 days, but it might be worth trying again.

So I should use address on the hotel I am staying you mean? Well, lets see in a few days how many days I get smile.png

yeah, that could be the reason why I only got 30 days last time.. cause I used my wife's adress at Buri Ram... well, that is some strange laws... well lets see in a few days.. I will try use Bangkok address to this hotel..

Edited by denarion

So I should use address on the hotel I am staying you mean? Well, lets see in a few days how many days I get smile.png

yeah, that could be the reason why I only got 30 days last time.. cause I used my wife's adress at Buri Ram... well, that is some strange laws... well lets see in a few days.. I will try use Bangkok address to this hotel..

Yes that may have been the problem. It's worth trying again using a local address. Good luck!

Only did get 30 days. Immigration officer said I had to extend my stay at Buriram immigration since my wife is not registered here. I only need to bring a copy of house registeration and copy of marriage and birthday certificate baby.

But now since I have already got one extension at Bangkok I need to leave the country right before I can apply that again, right?

I am thinking of maybe getting a non-immigration visa next time close to Buriram since I am going to stay there.

Do I need by the way an letter from the embassy proving my income (pension) ? or is it enough if I print out this myself?

Anything else I need ?

Yours

Rolf (Denarion)

Only did get 30 days. Immigration officer said I had to extend my stay at Buriram immigration since my wife is not registered here. I only need to bring a copy of house registeration and copy of marriage and birthday certificate baby.

But now since I have already got one extension at Bangkok I need to leave the country right before I can apply that again, right?

I am thinking of maybe getting a non-immigration visa next time close to Buriram since I am going to stay there.

Do I need by the way an letter from the embassy proving my income (pension) ? or is it enough if I print out this myself?

Anything else I need ?

Yours

Rolf (Denarion)

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof. Marriage certificate and signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Or you could get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You would need proof of 40k baht income by way of a income letter from your embassy.

Anything else I need ?

Yours

Rolf (Denarion)

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof. Marriage certificate and signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Or you could get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You would need proof of 40k baht income by way of a income letter from your embassy.

Isn't the other option 400K in a Thai bank account?

Anything else I need ?

Yours

Rolf (Denarion)

Isn't the other option 400K in a Thai bank account?

Yes but he mentioned income so no need to mention money in the bank.

If you do decide to do a border hop from Bangkok at any point, I would suggest you look at doing it by air to Kuala Lumpur. Booked in advance, airfares are cheap. If desired, book a combined flight and hotel deal for a night or two (still cheap). You will receive 30 days on entry. Since a border hop at Poipet for a 15-day entry requires purchase of a Cambodian visa, it is not as cheap as you might think.