Cabbie seen jumping on a car’s bonnet faces withdrawal of driving license

rooster59

You can see the Thai's were hovering about waiting for it to kick off!.. And the Farang would of been the target whether he was right or wrong!

Actually not the case... Can hear the person filming explaining to people when they come on the scene saying the taxi driver jumped on the foreigner's car and dented it..

Thanks should go to the person who filmed the incident and posted it...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a case of both having pig headed attitudes. They both believe that the roads belong to them and all other road users are obstacles blocking their way.

The only reason the Farlang could stand his ground was because he was a big, fit heavy set young guy. If he had been Older or smaller I am sure within minutes the Thais would have gone in for an all out assault and the Farlang would have been lying on the road unconscious with his face kicked in. Bad attitude to have in Thailand, sooner or later that Farlang will clash with the wrong crowd and end up killed by a deadly weapon. Doesn`t pay in Thailand to do a Custer`s last stand, even if believing they are in the right. Best to swallow the pride and get out of those situations rather then being an antagonist.

The driver of the white car should go back to Nanny land. What a tosser...

Shame the locals didn't stick him.

r

Did your wife order you to speak that

Then driver of the taxi should be arrested for assaulting the farang by bumping him with the car. The farang has my vote. He showed restraint but didn't back down.

Could I please have a reprint of this post in a form which is understandable.....I did, I promise, attempt to read it

a few times to have it make sense!

I understand your difficulties, someone should suggest to open a specific TV section just to suit your needs, something like a "virtual shape sorter toy", where users would have to undergo a simple entry test before being allowed to read....

In the meantime, you have all my deepest sympathy wink.png

You can hear the Taxi Driver shout: 'Hia' which is a very strong insult in Thai.

Not really. It's just like <deleted>. Every Thai teenager says "hia" and so do most Thai men when in company with each other.

Words are not the problem - actions are. This taxi driver's ego was the problem.

You are of course correct about the usage and when it is used, usually amongst close friends.

No Thai would ever consider using such language to a total stranger, for fear of the consequences.

Your second sentence I agree with, Little Emperor syndrome and loss of face, these guys may be the big man in some one buffalo town upcountry, they come to Bkk and they are nothing, seen it too many times, even the Thai locals cant stand them.

"I think you are all missing what's the real point here. The carlang by driving its own vehicle its depriving a mighty thai person of his livelyhood, some thai taxi driver might be dying every day because of foreigners breaking the law doing occupations reserved to them, then he very likely will also be eating some thai food taking it away from a thai, and breathing precious oxygen reserved to thai only......bad bad bad"

What is a "carlang" please,is it a character from Star Trek or something? blink.png

Why don't the men behave like this in Cambodia,Vietnam,the Philippines or Indonesia?All I'm reading is how lucky the foreigner is to escape with his life &lt;deleted&gt; do people bother staying in this country for I'm really beginning to wonder?
Thailand is moving backwards at a great rate of knots,while all the surrounding countries are going in the opposite direction financially,democratically and tourist-friendly wise!

"I think you are all missing what's the real point here. The carlang by driving its own vehicle its depriving a mighty thai person of his livelyhood, some thai taxi driver might be dying every day because of foreigners breaking the law doing occupations reserved to them, then he very likely will also be eating some thai food taking it away from a thai, and breathing precious oxygen reserved to thai only......bad bad bad"

What is a "carlang" please,is it a character from Star Trek or something? blink.png

a car driven by a falang?

Why don't the men behave like this in Cambodia,Vietnam,the Philippines or Indonesia?All I'm reading is how lucky the foreigner is to escape with his life <deleted> do people bother staying in this country for I'm really beginning to wonder?

Thailand is moving backwards at a great rate of knots,while all the surrounding countries are going in the opposite direction financially,democratically and tourist-friendly wise!

Nice rant, I can only assume you have never been to The Land of The Pinoy, if you havent, dont bother.

As for Indonesia,check out Jakarta traffic, even worse than Bkk.

Thailand is great, rest of rant not completed for fear off offending those who can no longer afford to live here

"Nice rant, I can only assume you have never been to The Land of The Pinoy, if you havent, dont bother.

As for Indonesia,check out Jakarta traffic, even worse than Bkk.

Thailand is great, rest of rant not completed for fear off offending those who can no longer afford to live here"

Everyone knows the Pinoys are 100 times friendlier than the Thais,same goes for Vietnamese,same goes for Khmers and Indos!
How is this even up for discussion?Just watch the video for crying out loud do you believe what your own eyes tell you? rolleyes.gif

Edited by MyFrenU

Don't see what the problem is...seems to be plenty of room for both (small) cars. With all the narrow sois and double parked cars in Thailand, the first thing one learns when using a car in Thailand is "cooperative driving."

well obviously this guy wasnt prepared to drop his trousers and take it up the poop hole like some people. some people consider that a dirty disgusting thing to do. rightly so. it just isn't natural - is it!

The driver of the white car should go back to Nanny land. What a tosser...

Shame the locals didn't stick him.

Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself. People, both farang and Thai will walk all over you if you let them!

Well said ,,,,

It was very clear to me how this began. The taxi driver was doing the very typical "cut the corner" move of Thai drivers, whether cars or motorbikes. They rarely turn a "square corner", which is the proper way to turn, and which most western drivers are trained to do from day one behind the wheel. Although we can't see the movement of the cars prior to the start of the video, it would certainly appear that the white car was into the intersection, with a row of traffic behind him. The taxi driver, seeing some space between the white car and the car in front of the white car, decided to "cut the corner" to make it into the other soi, rather than proceed to the CENTER POINT of the intersection, and wait for enough space to make a PROPER SQUARE TURN into the other soi.

I encounter both cars and motorbikes using this illegal and inconsiderate technique every single day here. They are not taught otherwise; nor do the police enforce, if they even understand, the proper way to make a turn.

That said, while I totally agree with the action and behavior of the farang in standing up for what's right, I do agree that he took an unwise and unnecessary chance in doing so. I don't know if he did so because he is new to Thailand, or because he thought his size would protect him. But I confess that I would not have had the courage to do it. I would have simply tried to back up a bit, and either let the cab pass, or gone off the road to the left to get around the idiot cab driver. I undoubtedly would have expressed my displeasure with him via a glare, gesture, and/or shout; and moved on. Although, as my (Thai) wife constantly reminds me when I gesture (NO, not THAT gesture) or scream at an idiot driver for one of the many illegal and inconsiderate moves I encounter every day with the drivers here; you never know what these people will do in reaction to your objection, up to and including pulling a gun and shooting you. (Let me note, in fairness, that the same is true in the USA!)

Absolutely correct!

Thai drivers not turning at junctions properly drives me nuts!

On TNN they said the taxi driver didn't know the white car was driven by a 'foreigner'. So it's just road rage and built-in must-win-at-all-cost-I-never-wrong-mentality and not hate for foreigners.

If anything, Farangs get away with a lot more than a Thai guy ever would.

I have driven in Thailand for almost 50 years. The fact is that Thais drive too fast; lack driving etiquette; take risky chances; and are in a hurry always. It has gotten wore due to traffic congestion and the stress caused by the economy. Taxi's feel they always have the right of way due to the nature of their job. It has always been like this and always will be until there is a change in official attitude and the police. Even then it will take 2 generations to instill a sense of proper driving habits in the population.

In the West or other developed countries we learn to drive completely differently- mostly obeying the driving rules and the police enforce it. I do not drive like the Thais but I understand completely their mindset and I will never be able to change it nor will anyone else who is a foreigner. While the white car had the right of way- he should have given way to the Thai taxi driver simply to avoid a confrontation and a traffic jam. Yes, the Thai driver then escalated the incident by damaging the foreigner's car, and should be punished. The foreigner then attempted to stop the taxi driver by physically blocking the path with his body. This is a further escalation that could have ended in injury or death.I keep telling people do not get into a confrontation with a Thai person- you almost always will lose in the end. None of what happened was necessary. Simply understand the Thai mindset- whether you agree with it or not- and move on. No confrontation. All ends well.

I have driven in Thailand for almost 50 years. The fact is that Thais drive too fast; lack driving etiquette; take risky chances; and are in a hurry always. It has gotten wore due to traffic congestion and the stress caused by the economy. Taxi's feel they always have the right of way due to the nature of their job. It has always been like this and always will be until there is a change in official attitude and the police. Even then it will take 2 generations to instill a sense of proper driving habits in the population.

In the West or other developed countries we learn to drive completely differently- mostly obeying the driving rules and the police enforce it. I do not drive like the Thais but I understand completely their mindset and I will never be able to change it nor will anyone else who is a foreigner. While the white car had the right of way- he should have given way to the Thai taxi driver simply to avoid a confrontation and a traffic jam. Yes, the Thai driver then escalated the incident by damaging the foreigner's car, and should be punished. The foreigner then attempted to stop the taxi driver by physically blocking the path with his body. This is a further escalation that could have ended in injury or death.I keep telling people do not get into a confrontation with a Thai person- you almost always will lose in the end. None of what happened was necessary. Simply understand the Thai mindset- whether you agree with it or not- and move on. No confrontation. All ends well.

I fully understand your well stated position, Thaidream. But I cannot agree with your proposed solution. It's best summed up by the word "appeasement"; and we all know how that worked on a much larger scale with Hitler; and how it's working now, again on a much larger scale, with the Muslim invasion of Europe. Back down to this scale, the analogy is with the "school yard bully". The bullying will go on, and increase in intensity, until the bully is confronted and put down.

Initiating that confrontation is definitely dangerous, whether on the large or small scale. There may be a costly price to pay. So I guess it's up to each individual (or nation) to decide whether the consequences is higher for allowing the bullying to continue; or confronting it.

To me, it's clear that the particular situation being discussed in this thread would not be worth the risk. As has been said, this farang was lucky that it didn't escalate to violence. Against another cabbie, one of those who is armed, it might have. So, while I don't condone appeasement as a standard policy, I would have avoided confrontation in this case. ... But understand that I'm 73 years old, and a mere 5'8"; so far less "equipped" to protect myself than the big, young farang in the video. :-)

There is a vast difference from 'appeasement' between countries and a bullying case as we know it in the West. On great mates of principle-I agree a stand must be taken. However, if I attempted to do what this foreigner did in Thailand and attempt to change the Thai mindset on driving- I would be in a potential confrontation each day and it would change nothing. You have to pick your 'fights' selectively. You have to know and understand what is 'winnable' and what is not. I will say it again- do not get into a confrontation with a Thai person. Your chances of winning are close to none. Quote from a Thai: "They will always believe me- they will never believe you." I don't live life afraid. I just know when to walk away. I have also learned the secret of the Thai smile- even when angry, irritated or other- keep smiling. It works, try it.

Edited by Thaidream

There is a vast difference from 'appeasement' between countries and a bullying case as we know it in the West. On great mates of principle-I agree a stand must be taken. However, if I attempted to do what this foreigner did in Thailand and attempt to change the Thai mindset on driving- I would be in a potential confrontation each day and it would change nothing. You have to pick your 'fights' selectively. You have to know and understand what is 'winnable' and what is not. I will say it again- do not get into a confrontation with a Thai person. Your chances of winning are close to none. Quote from a Thai: "They will always believe me- they will never believe you." I don't live life afraid. I just know when to walk away. I have also learned the secret of the Thai smile- even when angry, irritated or other- keep smiling. It works, try it.

I agree with all of that, my friend. To quote the Kenny Rogers' song, "You gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em." As I said, I, like you, would have "folded 'em" in this situation. Nothing of significance was to be gained or lost here. ... But it does cause me great pain when nations, or entire races of people, fail to defend their freedom and their culture in the face of aggression.

The Thai psyche is unlike any that I have ever encountered anywhere. Sometimes, it can be so great and other times absolutely evil. Even after all these years and marriages to Thais I confess I do not completely understand all of it and I am not sure anyone other than a native born Thai can fully comprehend all the nuances of 'Thainess'/ I do know there are several groups of people- I will always walk away from a potential confrontation- taxi drivers; motorcycle taxi's and people who are drunk or drinking and those whose livelihood depends upon the 'entertainment' industry. I have nothing against any of them but my experience tells me that confrontations with them do not end well.

Another point... This might not have happened had the foreigner been driving a bigger car.... (stay with me here)...

I currently drive a 'bigger' SUV while my Wife has a 'small' car... I get cut up much less and feel as though I am treated by other road uses with much more consideration when I am driving my car than my Wife's car.

In fact, I find driving my Wife's car quite dangerous, it surprises me the extent the lack of road consideration extended to a smaller car, I get surprised at how easily other drivers 'bully' the smaller car...

It really seems to be a dog-eat-dog world on Thailand's roads, the smaller dogs are pushed around more.

---------

Its clear that the Taxi drivers attitude was awful, a sense of road entitlement in turning in front of the foreigner... but really, there may be much more to it than that... Perhaps the foreigners path was clear while the Taxi's path was blocked, or perhaps not... Either way its a readily avoidable incident, it just takes one of the parties to avoid an incident or both to allow it to escalate.

I was turning left on a narrow soi, a car was following right behind me, the car coming towards me drove right up to me in effect blocking my left hand turn (5m before I could turn) Standoff !!... I couldn't reverse.

Now, for a country who's drivers seem to insist on reversing into a parking spaces all over the country it amazes me how many are unwilling to reverse to avoid a simple traffic standoff...

In this case however, common sense prevailed, after initially being a bit dumb, not seeing me indicate and blocking my left turn the driver reversed right away, avoiding a standoff and an issue.

In short - the attitudes of the other driver were positive enough to avoid issue - I was pretty much left without a choice but to stop where I was and wait for him to make his mind up.

-----

For those commenting on the general lack of road rage here, I agree... I see stubborn, dangerous and mostly inconsiderate driving here, its sometimes frustrating but generally has become the norm, I expect nothing better.... I've sometimes been the one who's blocked other traffic by accident, I'm glad no one gets overtly angry at me when I make a mistake and on other occasions we have to be a little assertive to get anywhere....

A lot of farang responding to this thread seem to believe this is an issue about bullying, appeasement and standing your ground.

This is the kind of thinking that causes rampant road rage in western countries like US/UK/AUS/RUS. Both parties believing theyre right the other wrong, and as a result, wont back down for fear of appearing weak or being bullied.

In this incident, the Thai taxi driver was doing what many if not most drivers do in Thailand not to mention much of SE Asia. IOW it is common driving behavior and non-event that escalated into a conflict because the farang would not acknowledge this and simply move aside.

Any other Thai would have gone with the flow and moved a little to let the taxi by. Thai taxi drivers have hard enough time making a living and last thing they want to do is waste time getting in a fight.

Too many farang seem to think they can live in Thailand/SE Asia based on western standards, principles and rule of law. This is the type of 'my way or the high way' type of thinking - that often gets them into trouble and makes the news.

A lot of farang responding to this thread seem to believe this is an issue about bullying, appeasement and standing your ground.
This is the kind of thinking that causes rampant road rage in western countries like US/UK/AUS/RUS. Both parties believing theyre right the other wrong, and as a result, wont back down for fear of appearing weak or being bullied.
In this incident, the Thai taxi driver was doing what many if not most drivers do in Thailand not to mention much of SE Asia. IOW it is common driving behavior and non-event that escalated into a conflict because the farang would not acknowledge this and simply move aside.
Any other Thai would have gone with the flow and moved a little to let the taxi by. Thai taxi drivers have hard enough time making a living and last thing they want to do is waste time getting in a fight.
Too many farang seem to think they can live in Thailand/SE Asia based on western standards, principles and rule of law. This is the type of 'my way or the high way' type of thinking - that often gets them into trouble and makes the news.

I'm not so sure... generalising the behaviour of Thai's is quite impossible, and doing so on the roads is also impossible. I've seen ridiculous standoffs, I've seen others give way unnecessarily - the attitudes of both Thai and foreign drivers here covers the whole spectrum from nervous-hesitant-polite-confident-assertive-inconsiderate-pushy-aggressive-dangerous...

What I do see though is a general lack of consideration and sometimes a bloody minded attitude of those using the road, its much more common here than I see in the UK...

I used to think that through kraeng-jai and the expected norms of not being able to show emotion that when a driver here is in a car his inner daemon and frustrations are permitted to surface..... This is the only explanation I have for how overtly aggressive and dangerous some drivers are.

I call it the F-U switch... some people get in a car, flick on their F-U switch and drive around with a big F-U to everyone around them...

Fortunately this is only a small proportion of road using society.

That there are not many more standoffs and road rage issues is due to one of two things... 1) a testament to the patience of drivers or 2) a general fear of the potentially lethal consequences of allowing a situation to escalate - or consequent combination of both.

Either way, with all of the above I find driving here tolerable, but expect a silly issue to crop up from time to time and take it in my stride.

One facet of driving here that I really do appreciate is the lack of horn use...