I need to understand?

marrmrrs

Can someone please help me understand the fact a friend of mine just booked a flight from Edinburgh to BKK next Feb at an utter bargain price of £308 (unheard of!!)... I just put in the same dates, with the same airline EXCEPT coming from BKK to Edinburgh and the cheapest is £630??....

Landing charges are the same i would have thought what ever way you do this journey... So WHY is it over DOUBLE to do this journey from Thailand?

We all know that Brits/Europeans have way more disposable income and travel for the average Thai is outwith there means, I would have thought giving the Thai people a bit of value for money would encourage them to travel... So can anyone give a reason for this?

Thanks in advance

David

Surly not!.. People travel for multiple reasons. Surly an airline can not second guess people's reasons for travelling?.. Then try to charge the 'have to" traveller more than the "want to"... That would make no sense at all surely?

I hope the airlines have a more credible reason than that.

David.

Worldwide pricing is based on what the customer will pay rather than cost plus.

Very few Thais travel by air, those that do will get free flights using connections to Thai Airways.

Expats in Thailand are wealthy, so they can charge a premium price.

Last time in UK booked two return tickets from BBK to manchester. Husband used Skyscanner (English version)I used skyscaner (thai version) both put same dates same names but him lead on his me lead on mine.

result cheapest for hubby for us both £750 emarites air line.

my results cheapest flight, emarites air line same flight same return flight as husband my price for two 45000bht at 50 bht to pound £900??????. We then went to travel aagents we use a lot final price from him for exactly same flights there and back 37000bht again at 50 bht to pound £ 740.

so shop around and in my experience not use thai websites.

all internet price inquiries are dependent on which country you are inquiring from. use a vpn and get better results. for everything you purchase on the net!

i once priced a business class return from bkk to fra from australia and by simply using a vpn to pretend i made the same inquiry from thailand saved myself A$ 2000.

There are a lot of reasons for price differences. These include Low or High season, landing fees, airport taxes on aircraft, refueling costs, sector fees i.e. when you leave one air space and enter another. The airline you use, the amount of time before the flight you book it to mention just a few things. Gulf Air used to do a round trip UK to Bkk and back for 300 pounds when everyone else was charging over twice that

Very few Thais travel by air, those that do will get free flights using connections to Thai Airways.

"Expats in Thailand are wealthy" where did you get that from? Many expats are living hand to mouth in Thailand. If you are going to make such statements fine but at least back them up with some definitive arguments.

"Expats in Thailand are wealthy" where did you get that from? Many expats are living hand to mouth in Thailand. If you are going to make such statements fine but at least back them up with some definitive arguments.

'Expats in Thailand are seen as wealthy' if you prefer.

Back up my post, OK I can do that,

Comparing the Thai state pension of 500bht a month to the UK state pension of 20,000bht a month (100gbp/week) UK expat pensioners are wealthy.

Comparing the Thai state pension of 500bht a month to the UK state pension of 20,000bht a month (100gbp/week) UK expat pensioners are wealthy.

wrong on both counts thai 600Bht monthly. UK £155.65 per week. taxable of course. However a lot of retired UK here are not old enough for state pension.

How do airlines on there Web site know your a wealthy expat by the way as names and ages don't get put in till after the quote!!!!!! So your statements are a bit floored.

You also forget the amount we pay in taxes every month which Thai's dont plus the cost of living in the UK. More money yes but a hell of a lot more taxes. Accommodation costs a fortune as well which you have ignored

You also forget the amount we pay in taxes every month which Thai's dont plus the cost of living in the UK. More money yes but a hell of a lot more taxes. Accommodation costs a fortune as well which you have ignored

All of which are irrelevant if the UK pensioner is living in Thailand.

(A UK state pensioner with no other income pays no tax on their pension no matter where they live in the world)

Surly not!.. People travel for multiple reasons. Surly an airline can not second guess people's reasons for travelling?.. Then try to charge the 'have to" traveller more than the "want to"... That would make no sense at all surely?

I hope the airlines have a more credible reason than that.

David.

They are far from second guessing their passengers. These days they know a great deal about their passengers and their reasons for travel and price their seats accordingly. They do not price their seats for credible reasons they price them for economic reasons only. Its called Business thumbsup.gif

Interesting comments here, so thanks but a special thanks to UKSHOMCHAI for that masterclass in business and enlightning us about the fact that "airlines know a great deal about the passengers AND there reason for travel"... Genius!!!??

(A UK state pensioner with no other income pays no tax on their pension no matter where they live in the world)

And they have paid in for it their entire life. You cant say the same for any local. They are just getting back a small portion of what they have paid for their entire working life.

And they have paid in for it their entire life. You cant say the same for any local. They are just getting back a small portion of what they have paid for their entire working life.

That's if they have worked of course but if not they still get the same. However when you pay NI or stamp as we know it your not actualy paying it in for your pot l. We have to hope that the generation behind work and pay in otherwise we be screwed.. But that's all irrelevant as the British govt are not so slowly increasing the age at which it's paid currently 68 but before long will be 70 to 75. In the hope we pop our glogs before that

I know plenty of UK women that have never paid any NI, but they still get a pension.

19 years NI for the 1st child + half your husband's NI years on divorce.

Not to mention, free NI contributions for every year you sign on as unemployed.

I only worked 2 years in my entire life, but have ended up with 30 years UK NI contributions so far.

Edited by MissAndry

I know plenty of UK women that have never paid any NI, but they still get a pension.

19 years NI for the 1st child + half your husband's NI years on divorce.

Not to mention, free NI contributions for every year you sign on as unemployed.

I only worked 2 years in my entire life, but have ended up with 30 years UK NI contributions so far.

2 years...?

that, to me, disqualifies you from living on someone else's expenses 'full stop'.

my opinion, having supported parasites like you for way too long in my working life, is...

won't go there, probably will get sidelined again.

what goes around - comes around.

manfredtillmann said:

2 years...?

that, to me, disqualifies you from living on someone else's expenses 'full stop'.

my opinion, having supported parasites like you for way too long in my working life, is...

won't go there, probably will get sidelined again.

what goes around - comes around.

That's rather harsh and makes a massive assumption. There are thousands of females who do not work because they are traditional stay at home wives/mums/home makers. If the husband has a good salary why would they need to go to work when they are already busy at home?

Edited by Lancashirelad

Anybody travelling from BKK to EDI in February most likely HAS to travel and so will pay a higher price than somebody travelling the other way who most likely WANTS to travel.

Supply & demand.

True but whilst there is no increase from the UK the cost of living increases in Thailand and of course many rent

Airline pricing systems are quite arcane.

My daughter recently emailed me to say she'd bought tickets LHR - BKK - LHR for her and hubby and the boys for £310 each flying with Qatar. She wanted me and my wife to meet them in LOS, so I checked Momondo etc, and the cheapest Qatar tickets ATH - BKK - ATH I could find were €837. I could find cheaper if I wanted to fly with another airline via Frankfurt or Moscow or somewhere, but I usually use Qatar because they have good service and easy stopover times in Doha. I finally found tickets on a local (Thessaloniki) site for €700. Which is considerably more than the £310 my daughter paid. Perhaps because ATH - BKK is considered a business route? Dunno.