SURVEY: What's your favorite beer in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What's your favorite beer in Thailand?  

271 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hoegaarden

Mr OP, technically your list is the most part largers not Beer as such anyway..but with the exception of many be an ocassional Chang, for the rest i would rather drink cats urine than have to subject my taste buds to those so called "beers" on your list

Larger? You mean in a bigger bottle? Lager is a type of beer. Beer is either lager or ale, is it not?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the number of responses to this survey on something as dear to expat hearts as 'beer' is not an accurate reflection on the 'traffic' enjoyed by this forum.

Mod Scott has got this down to a science.

I imagine him in a windowless room in the bowels of Thai Visa HQ, his finger poised over the left click mouse button on yet another Poll thread..... turns to Mod Metisdead and says, "Dude, hold my beer, watch this shit!" ~ Click. laugh.png

Edited by 55Jay

Hoegaarden

Mr OP, technically your list is the most part largers not Beer as such anyway..but with the exception of many be an ocassional Chang, for the rest i would rather drink cats urine than have to subject my taste buds to those so called "beers" on your list

I agree Bunnychow , beer and lager are not the same thing , years ago I looked up lager in a dictionary and it said ' weak beer '. Ok things change so not weak any longer but still not beer. I voted for Chang , there is none in the house right now but I do have a few bottles of Hoegaarden , acquired 3 days at 45B per bottle . Not Thai so not got my vote.

Lager is not weak beer, lagering is conditioning the ale longer than beer to give it the crisp taste we all know.

All beer in Thailand tastes the same which is to say, it's all <deleted>! My favourites are local craft beers like Chit Beer (good Chit, man) from Koh Kret.

You can probably count on one hand the number of breweries in Thailand, the beer doesn't have to be good as its a case of take it or leave it, in England alone there are nearly 1,500, we all know why this is.

I like a Singh light for a night out.I used to like the old Chang when out with mates.But the one i like the most of all,but only occasionally is Red Horse.I drank it in the Philippines,but ive never seen it sold in any bars here.You can get it in some Tesco Lotus supermarkets though.

All it says is monopoly.

So you're saying that Beer Lao is good because it's a monopoly (99% domestic market share)?

The best beers made in Thailand are clearly the microbrews, like Full Moon, Chit, Sandport, Team Alpha, and Seven Two. Not generally available in stores but you can order some of them online.

Who mentioned BeerLao???

Isn't this about Thai beer?

I was simply commenting that the big brewers sell crap beer because the majority are happy to drink it.

The beers you mention some of which are delicious I have to take a trip across town or organise to have delivered at a time I'm home often necessitating waiting in my condo for hours.

The situation in Bangkok is improving but outside the capital it remains dire...with the exception of a very good place on Samui.

When l used to drink, l always liked Heineken or Tiger.

Singha was ok but a bit bitter.

Chang, too sweet.

Beerlao, very good.

But contrary to others on here l found Leo to be absolutely revolting.

All comes down to personal tastes.

Beer Lao is very good, but hard to find in my area. My beer of choice is Cheers, with Cheers Riceberry being my current fav. Don't be put off by the name -- as I was for some time -- it's available in many 7-11s and is worth a taste at the low price point.

But I'm often full of sh!t and this may be one of those times.

I stick to Tiger, it's the same price as Leo but Leo has some strange metallic taste and is undrinkable when warm. Heineken gives hangovers. Federbrau is OK. Why they don't sell dark beers or stout like Guiness in local stores? Thais don't like stout, do they?

All it says is monopoly.

So you're saying that Beer Lao is good because it's a monopoly (99% domestic market share)?

The best beers made in Thailand are clearly the microbrews, like Full Moon, Chit, Sandport, Team Alpha, and Seven Two. Not generally available in stores but you can order some of them online.

Who mentioned BeerLao???

Isn't this about Thai beer?

I was simply commenting that the big brewers sell crap beer because the majority are happy to drink it.

The beers you mention some of which are delicious I have to take a trip across town or organise to have delivered at a time I'm home often necessitating waiting in my condo for hours.

The situation in Bangkok is improving but outside the capital it remains dire...with the exception of a very good place on Samui.

No. Please read the title of the thread, " What's your favorite beer in Thailand?"

Beer Lao Black Label for me...

With the beer monopoly, how do these small producers getting around this draconian law to sell in other venues? I've seen several restaurants selling Thai brewed craft beers recently.

I'd assumed small Brewers could only sell 'onsite'

Edited by Cook my sock

Chang used to be an excellent, strong, bitter brew that was by far the best brewed in Thailand. After they switched from the brown bottle to the green and changed the formula (lowered the alcohol content considerably), it now pretty much sucks. I still buy it though, as all the other Thai beers still suck even more! drunk.gifburp.gif

Singha Light isn't bad...

Of the Thai beers, my favourite has to be Chang Draught, which is much cleaner and crisper than classic Chang, which I don't really like very much.

And which is not brewed anymore...unless you mean Chang on tap (draft beer). Chang Draught was retired at least a year ago, along with Chang Light, Export and all the others. The only Chang that is brewed today is Chang Classic.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/493/57199/

From Wikipedia..."In 2006, the company launched Chang Light, 4.2 percent abv and Chang Draught in bottles, at five percent abv. They were discontinued in 2015."

burp.gif

My favorite was Chang Export, now I can no longer find !

Was retired in 2015...along with Chang Draught and Chang Light. See my post above for more details...

Edited by Skeptic7

Of the Thai beers, my favourite has to be Chang Draught, which is much cleaner and crisper than classic Chang, which I don't really like very much.

And which is not brewed anymore...unless you mean Chang on tap (draft beer). Chang Draught was retired at least a year ago, along with Chang Light, Export and all the others. The only Chang that is brewed today is Chang Classic.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/493/57199/

From Wikipedia..."In 2006, the company launched Chang Light, 4.2 percent abv and Chang Draught in bottles, at five percent abv. They were discontinued in 2015."

burp.gif

Well that's a bummer! We didn't get back last year, and the year before it was still available, although not everywhere. Damn! I'm going to have to find another favourite. Actually, Tiger isn't a bad beer, and Heineken is usually ok.