Any Noticeable Changes in Pattaya?

hdkane

None what so ever...and I don't expect anything different then what they had been doing the past few months. I think someone needs to [police the police. The new Mayor is not Military, although he and his fellow new group of leaders were designated to manage the city my the Military.

Is the military coming to take over in Pattaya too?

thailand-military.jpg?resize=300%2C169Not quite, we are told. However, the military are appointing a committee of twelve members, Chanatpong Sriviset, taking over as acting mayor. And that’s all. Instead of an election there will be the appointment of a team of experts, chosen by the military.

It remains to be seen how that will all work out but, along with the arrival of a new police chief and a promise to clean up the crime rate in the town, there may well be a greater police and/or military presence on the streets.

Some would say this is a good thing. We are about to find out.

Edited by JESSVANPELT

It'll be interesting to see if bar owners and the like, who have to pay monthly backhanders to all kinds of extorting officials are suddenly released from having to fund this corruption; does it stay the same or does it get worse under the military?

It'll be interesting to see if bar owners and the like, who have to pay monthly backhanders to all kinds of extorting officials are suddenly released from having to fund this corruption; does it stay the same or does it get worse under the military?

Not all do (pay anyone or HAVE to do anything)!

A group of officials went around some of the buildings on the beach side of walking street. They demanded entry to survey the buildings. Looks like the first stages of demolition.

A group of officials went around some of the buildings on the beach side of walking street. They demanded entry to survey the buildings. Looks like the first stages of demolition.

Looks like the start of a diversion of the payments from the illegal WS property owners to the new "account holders" you mean.

I have not noticed any changes at all, same. But this morning I saw council guys in brown uniform pick up several poor vagrants off beach road and put them in the back of the pickup, don't know what that was about, they weren't doing anything wrong.

nothing to do with the government, you can take the girl out of the village but you can't the village out of the girl. Thailand is stuck in mud, if not broken, don't rock the boat which reflects their standings on the world stage. The PM, is progressive with to many OLD BOTTOM FEEDERS to deal with.

Lottery tickets are now at 80 THB so the military accomplished one thing in two years in power

The ones that walk around are still trying it on for 90 baht but i refuse to pay the extra. Go Big C at the carpark entry, plenty selling for 80 baht as they should be.

I have not noticed any changes at all, same. But this morning I saw council guys in brown uniform pick up several poor vagrants off beach road and put them in the back of the pickup, don't know what that was about, they weren't doing anything wrong.

If they are really poor vagrants, the chances are that their visas are not up to date, you know, the cost of visa runs etc.

These are probably the people who are making things worse for us, by getting the visa rules changed and making it harder

for the majority of decent expats. Good on the authorities for rounding them up.

If they are really poor vagrants, the chances are that their visas are not up to date, you know, the cost of visa runs etc.

These are probably the people who are making things worse for us, by getting the visa rules changed and making it harder

for the majority of decent expats. Good on the authorities for rounding them up.

He means the local Thai vagrants. The beggars and otherwise homeless, not bloody foreigners.

You truly are not here are you.

They appeared to be mostly Thais. Older women with nowhere to sleep and some street kids. They were not the jet ski people or street sellers or beach vendors just down and outers I think. Anyhow watching that round up I just thought they were targeting the wrong people, they were not hassling anyone. Why don't they run the pickup down there at night and pick up the lady boy pestering thieves? That would be a better use of resources.

He means the local Thai vagrants. The beggars and otherwise homeless, not bloody foreigners.

You truly are not here are you.

OK fine, but you read quite a lot about the foreign vagrants in Pattaya, so it's easy to assume as the police were rounding them up, that it was foreign vagrants.

Lottery tickets are now at 80 THB so the military accomplished one thing in two years in power

Excellent.............. another plus over their predecessors.

Nope they were selling them round the Bars the other week in Soi Bulkhao at 90 baht, my colleague said 80 baht, nope 90 baht needless to say didn't buy them.

Edited by Alex2015

Yes.They have closed the topic on the poor scots guy,on this forum.Have read threw some of the comments.You can see its a police cover up.Found on the 15 may.Dead in his room.Put in a morgue.They did not know who he was.So were is his passport.And the photo copy,kept by the bar owners.Enough time for any cctv to be removed.Stay away from thailand.It could be you next.

For some reason I have found I can get the best exchange rates on foreign currency to Baht than any other tourist area in Thailand. I'm guessing it's because of the large number of exchange booths creating a very competitive market situation. Same as drinks in bars, hotels and guesthouse rates and low prices in decent food outlets. Healthy competition means low prices. It's one of the attractions of Pattaya.