Caterpillars Everywhere!

It seems there are a lot more butterflies about this year and they are beautiful

I think of them as the flying flowers of my garden.

But, as a result of so many butterflies in the yard, there are now thousands of caterpillars and they are eating almost everything.

They are totally defoliating some plants.

Does anyone know any tricks to get rid of them without using anything too toxic?

Most of the caterpillars are of this type..and again, they are everywhere in the garden now.

post-147745-0-79112300-1466385012_thumb.

Wifey swears by soapy water, Sunlight lemon liquid is what we use in the kitchen.

A good squirt in 2L of water sprayed on the affected plants seems to make the beasties drop off to be greedily hoovered up by our chooks and guineas.

The soap doesn't make the chooks lay perfumed eggs :)

yes, they are bad this year. should see my roses!

a lot of the smaller grubs seem to live on the underside of the leaves and are difficult to detect. we pick them off with a small stick and squash them.

but i don't think it made any big difference.

what i did notice is the vigorous re - growth of the worst affected plants.

post-222491-0-35846200-1466400318_thumb.

second helping

just spoke to the mother in law - through an interpreter (wife).

she suggested moving red ants onto the plants you love the most. they are ground dwellers but will adapt if presented with nice food. i have spent the last 30 minutes migrating a fair few onto my favorite lemon tree...

post-222491-0-28122500-1466412686_thumb.

Look for the little turd balls. Find them on the leaves/stems which is hard to do as they assume the color of whatever they are eating. Give them Islamic justice. Keep a pair of scissors handy and behead them. Equally bad as the rain is bringing out the snails which are just as bad. Completely strip a meter tall plant overnight. Good luck as I share your pain.

Wifey swears by soapy water, Sunlight lemon liquid is what we use in the kitchen.

A good squirt in 2L of water sprayed on the affected plants seems to make the beasties drop off to be greedily hoovered up by our chooks and guineas.

The soap doesn't make the chooks lay perfumed eggs smile.png

Your wife is right.

To be sure no insect or animal (squirrel) get to the fruits, I crunch garlic (2 heads) in one liter of water and let it boil. I filter the obtained juice (so it doesn't block the sprayer) and mix a coffee spoon of Sunlight and a coffee spoon of oil (salad oil) to it.

I shake well before I spray.

I usually spray when the fruits are just coming and 2-3 weeks later again.

You can be sure that no insect go to the plants which are sprayed. wink.png

yes never seen so many butterflies about in past

but my biggest problem is large snails

my wife said never seen about for 30yrs like now

every time plant seeds they come up the snails get them

spoke to mountain farmers said put plenty lime about will kill

second helping

she suggested moving red ants onto the plants you love the most. they are ground dwellers but will adapt if presented with nice food. i have spent the last 30 minutes migrating a fair few onto my favorite lemon tree...

I love this idea and will try it tomorrow morning.

My long beans are always crawling with these red ants..

After reading your post, I realize that the long beans are one of a few plants that are not full of caterpillars.

Thaks and thanks to your MIL as well.

second helping

What is the migration process? Individual transport?

yes, afraid one by one was my method. the largest old mango leaf i could find, let them hop on and lift them over to the lemon. they get off a lot more willingly then on.

alternately cut one of their leaf - nests and hang it into your plants...

not for the faint hearted - like me. smile.png

Archived