Cambodian driver license - possible ot drive in Thailand?

Sheryl

I can not give an reliable answer, but last year I was in Bangkok and there was a SUV with Cambodian plate at my hotel. . I guess the driver must have a driver license from Cambodia and was able to cross the border and drive in Thailand.

My Thai Driver's license, which was issued in 2013, can be used in any ASEAN nations. I'm sure the driver license from other ASEAN nations can be used in Thailand as well. But I don't know if there is any restriction on how long you can legally drive.

Thai driving license are first temporary (now for 2 year) then permanent for 5 years.

The temporary can only be used in Thailand, the permanent can be used in all ASEAN countries without an IDP. (international driving permit)

Guess the same goes for Cambodia.

Guess is not the same as know and what I'm hwaring from Cambodians is that their licenses are not valid for driving hete. Anyone know for sure?

Take a trip to your local DLT and ask them, lots of guessing on TV but you should know thatwink.png

The problem isn't so much the Cambodian Drivers License but rather the Language it is written on. If it is written in Cambodian, which I suspect, then it isn't much good to a Thai Policeman who can only read Thai. Is it? It might help if it is in English also but I wouldn't bet on it. Unless you don't mind being stopped and forced to get you License Officially Translated, if asked to do so.

It is always best to get an International Drivers Permit for traveling and driving in another country. Especially if there is a Language Barrier. Helps if you have to rent a car to. You should be able to get one in Cambodia and like in any other country. If you can't find out where it is look for a AAA Association and they should be able to help you.

I doubt that it is illegal to drive in Thailand under a Cambodian Drivers License for a month or two. You can general drive in any country with you Home Drivers License as a Tourist. As mentioned the problem lies in the language. With a Cambodian License Plate you may be more liable to be stopped. Thai Drivers License are also in English so no problem driving in the USA or Canada with it. But I still get an International License when I go to make things easier.

Thai driving license are first temporary (now for 2 year) then permanent for 5 years.

The temporary can only be used in Thailand, the permanent can be used in all ASEAN countries without an IDP. (international driving permit)

Yes. Good Point and very true. The first 2 year license in Thailand is equivalent to a Learners License. If I recall they are not allowed to drive by themselves and even in Thailand. They need a 5 Year License Holder sitting next to them.

You also wont be able to get an International Drivers Permit with a 2 Year License or be able to rent a car. Or at least none that I know of anyway.

Yes. Good Point and very true. The first 2 year license in Thailand is equivalent to a Learners License. If I recall they are not allowed to drive by themselves and even in Thailand. They need a 5 Year License Holder sitting next to them.

You also wont be able to get an International Drivers Permit with a 2 Year License or be able to rent a car. Or at least none that I know of anyway.

It is not a learners licence. Holders of a temporary (2 year) licence can drive independently.

The Cambodian license is indeed mostly in Khmer. And it is not possible ti get an IDP in Cambodia.

this is for household staff who often need to drive my car and my concern is not minor stops by police but liability in case of accident since obviously my insurance will not cover an unlicensed driver.

Since this person is going to have to get a Thai license anyhow, and does not currently have a Cambodian license (old one long expired) and they cost a fortune to get, am considering just having him get a Thai license to begin with.

The pinned info on getting aThai license all assume that hte person already has a license in their home country. Can anyone give any info on thep rocess starting from scratch 9i.e. with no home country license)? And whether they will let a translator (me) accompany for the written and road test?

thanks

Same same but different. While I know discussing Cambodia/Thai, what is the situation with Thai/Lao and vice versa. I also still hold a valid US DL. I understand a Lao license for a Lao person is over 4,000 baht, understandable why so many don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

While I can't give a definitive answer, my hunch is that a Cambodian driver's licence is not legally valid for driving in Thailand. As far as I'm aware, only Thailand, Laos, Malaysia and Singapore have signed reciprocal agreements on the recognition of each other's drivers licences. Although the DLT ruling claims a Thai licence can now be used in all 10 ASEAN countries (and similarly, any ASEAN licence should be valid in another member state), in practice this is not the case. Over on rideasia.net, I recently read a post about a member asking this exact question who mentioned how he was pulled over in Trat and fined for not having an international driving permit on him. I am also aware of some Thai car rental agencies not accepting a Cambodian licence for renting cars.

Even though Cambodian licences are fully bilingual (I know since I have had/renewed one since 2010 with the format changing about 3-4 years ago) for some reason they aren't treated the same as western licences, here in Thailand.

you recall nonsense! coffee1.gif

Archived