Difficult Finding Quality Veggies

Karlo

Those toms do look rather rough, but I bet they're just fine inside.

No real issues with veggies in Makro. Obviously one has to inspect same before buying.

Technically tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable, but I agree that choosing either fruit or vegetables based on how pretty they look isn't the best criterion and, allowing for the drought and seasonality, there's plenty of quality vegetables available.

Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/is-a-tomato-a-fruit-or-a-vegetable

Don't seem to have any problem with the daily markets or the larger Wararot market in Chiang Mai. You can see the fruit and vegetables coming in from outlying farms on pickups every day.

Need to get a couple lessons on indigenous veggies here then go to the fresh markets, not Makro, Tesco and/or Big C. I'm from an area in west where tomatoes are superior to anything here and I accept that. I usually place them in paper bags and leave at room temp for a couple days which improves their "ripeness". But Chinese kale, long beans, chilies, a variety of other green veggies that are spectacular, mushrooms, and some of the best fruit in the world abound here.

Ya, don't come here for a western fare of veggies save maybe potatoes which last for months. The few you find are probably from institutional growers in the north and I personally wouldn't trust them either. Everything else is likely imported from originating countries and like most of what you get in the west..., picked 1-2 weeks before it ever hits the market were you buy. Here you can buy comparably fresh product.

well with illegal chemicals in the field and the need for a quick buck, what do you expect. Like I posted before 6$ for a pint of strawberries. even MACKRO pricey, Thai's don't eat healthy food , RICE, RICE, RICE AND MORE RICE.

When it comes to veggies, like many areas of life in Thailand, your health and life are put at risk because Thais don't care about you or themselves, generally speaking. Health and life have no value to most Thais. People don't care whether they are eating properly or not, so mai aroi veggies are not in high demand, many just don't eat vegetables at all. The only sensible thing, if you live in the countryside, is to grow your own, or if you are in Bangkok or Chang Mai seek out specialty shops that sell decent vegetables.

Complain about vegetables and post a pic of fruit?

From your comment I see you either have poor eyesight or are not familiar with how Thai tomatoes look... They do not look like the European species.

Tomatoes for somtam...In general I have a feeling that all veggies and fruits are full of nitrates same as in China. Hardly understand what to eat here - palm oil everywhere, veggies are nitrated or GMO, meat is cancerogenic, fish is full of mercury, shrips are on antibiotics, chicken on hormones, water is polluted, beer is crap

In general i have a feeling that you must be hungry and thirsty continuously. You won't eat veggies, meat or fish....what does that leave? Or more to the point when do you leave?

I had my eye on a few cases of Avocados at my Makro. They were priced at 79b ea. They went from hard and green to mushy and rotten over the course of a couple weeks. I doubt any were bought. If the Fruit/Vegg manager had half a brain he would have reduced the price as they progressed to being rotten and tossed in the garbage........There were at least 300 of them. Sadly the train of thought will be These things dont sell.

I had my eye on a few cases of Avocados at my Makro. They were priced at 79b ea. They went from hard and green to mushy and rotten over the course of a couple weeks. I doubt any were bought. If the Fruit/Vegg manager had half a brain he would have reduced the price as they progressed to being rotten and tossed in the garbage........There were at least 300 of them. Sadly the train of thought will be These things dont sell.

Avocados at Jusco have been 109!!! baht each for a while now. They never reduce the price so probably throw them out, and as you say, they will end up as being classed as another item that doesn't sell.

My local Tesco sometimes reduce Thai grown avocados, a bag of 3 for 90 baht. Can be hit and miss but usually at least two are still good eating.

I was in Singapore recently and they had 3 for $3.95. Imported from the US. Best I've had for a while.