Difficult Finding Quality Veggies

Karlo

I have travelled to a number of areas in Thailand and so far have been very disappointed at the very poor quality of vegetables in the major food stores. Often veggies are going rotten and covered in scabs which shocked me. What is your experience of buying veggies in Thailand.post-244188-0-35579300-1466421832_thumb.

Edited by Karlo

Just go to a Gourmet Food hall for God's sake

They're everywhere; Terminal 21, EM Quartier, Emporium, Central Chidlom

They'll even deliver provided you're ordering goods worth over 1500 baht

Costs a bit more than the Makros and Tesco Lotuses but I've never been disappointed by the quality of the produce and the delivery rocks

I avoid 'perfect looking' vegies in Thailand.

If the bugs won't eat a vegetable, neither will I.

That's what my wife says, if they haven't been munched a little by insects then they have been blasted with pesticides, try growing your own, it's interesting and you know where they come from.

Complain about vegetables and post a pic of fruit?

From your comment I see you either have poor eyesight or are not familiar with how Thai tomatoes look... They do not look like the European species.

I have no problem getting good fresh veg, just go into the garden and pull them.

Yesterday we ate chinese mustard, morning glory, white radish, carrots, pak choi, egg plant, all mixed in a veg stir fry,

along with 2 bbq pla duk, from our tanks. Aloy mak mak.

I agree you can't beat growing your own vegetables... You get immense satisfaction from growing your own and they taste much better and are free if all the chemicals many farmers use.

From your comment I see you either have poor eyesight or are not familiar with how Thai tomatoes look... They do not look like the European species.

The fruit in your photo is similar to the Roma variety of tomatoe, meaty and good for cooking, and making sauce, I like the cherry tomatoe varieties for salads and eating raw. One of my favorite fruits.

Thailand also has many good vegetables but i agree that pesticide residue is a concern. The only veggies I buy at the supermarket are arugala and radiccio, and sometimes spinnach.

I buy almost all of my other veggies and fruits such as chilis, eggplant, okra and avocado at the fresh market.

Tomatoes are a fruit (so are chillies) :)

The fruit in your photo is similar to the Roma variety of tomatoe, meaty and good for cooking, and making sauce, I like the cherry tomatoe varieties for salads and eating raw. One of my favorite fruits.

Thailand also has many good vegetables but i agree that pesticide residue is a concern. The only veggies I buy at the supermarket are arugala and radiccio, and sometimes spinnach.

I buy almost all of my other veggies and fruits such as chilis, eggplant, okra and avocado at the fresh market.

The 'cherry' tomatoes I've seen locally are not the same as those in the UK, and certainly nowhere near as delicious.

Pesticides used are my main concern about veg. on sale here (organic produce is hard to find), and I don't believe for one minute that the market stalls here on Phuket are selling their own produce. I have even more doubt that the veg. on market stalls is pesticide-free!

Growing our own veg. would be wonderful, but living on Phuket, close to the sea and consequently having VERY dry soil - its not possible. Although chilli plants in pots survive for a while.

^^^ I live in Chiang Mai, a farm province so the situation is different, We usually have 3 varieties of cherry tomatoe available, quite good, piles of greens of many varieties. Much more choice than at a western supermarket. I buy mostly from an "organic" vendor but I am skeptical. I have lived on Koh Tao and the situation was different, wilted vegies and not much variety. Each region has it's specialties, I really like the tree beans that come in a long pod , they are used in curries and stir fries, a very southern thing ,rare in the north.

Tomatoes for somtam...In general I have a feeling that all veggies and fruits are full of nitrates same as in China. Hardly understand what to eat here - palm oil everywhere, veggies are nitrated or GMO, meat is cancerogenic, fish is full of mercury, shrips are on antibiotics, chicken on hormones, water is polluted, beer is crap

^^^ I live in Chiang Mai, a farm province so the situation is different, We usually have 3 varieties of cherry tomatoe available, quite good, piles of greens of many varieties. Much more choice than at a western supermarket. I buy mostly from an "organic" vendor but I am skeptical. I have lived on Koh Tao and the situation was different, wilted vegies and not much variety. Each region has it's specialties, I really like the tree beans that come in a long pod , they are used in curries and stir fries, a very southern thing ,rare in the north.

Do you have a 'photo of the 'tree beans'? I ask, as there are many trees around where I live that drop some type of tree beans (extremely large, but dry, pea type pods).

One of these days I'll get round to finding out what some locals are collecting from trees around my house. I suspect they're gathering Morning Glory - and its embarrassing that I've never bothered to find out bearing in mind it would be free of pesticides etc. sad.png .

^^ I don't have a photo and don't know the name in pasa Thai or Dai, but here is a description, they come in a long twisted pod, the beans are spaced about 2cm apart. The pod up to about 40cm long, the pod is not eaten, they look like lima beans very common in the south. very tasty.

^^ I don't have a photo and don't know the name in pasa Thai or Dai, but here is a description, they come in a long twisted pod, the beans are spaced about 2cm apart. The pod up to about 40cm long, the pod is not eaten, they look like lima beans very common in the south. very tasty.

and they have a very distinguishing smell, many would say they stink. They are good when cooked but not if only one is eating them, they are everywhere here in the south, along with a lot of other fresh vegetables at the road side markets as well as the bigger city markets. The number one rule is that you have to thoroughly wash everything you buy no matter where it comes from, failure to do so can be hazardous to your health......

Tomatoes are a fruit (so are chillies) smile.png

Both tomatoes and chills are members of the Solanaceae family, along with Belladona

Though, while you might like the first, enjoy the second in moderation I strongly suggest going easy on the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkia_speciosa

สะตอ

One of our favorites. Not that easy to find up north, I think. But central or southern Thailand, np.

In the north you'll find s smaller version of สะตอ (stor) called กระถิน (gratin). Grows everywhere and you'll sometimes see folks pulling up at the roadside to harvest some. Be aware that many people seem to be alergic to this stuff though. Can cause headaches and fatigue etc..

Google and see if a tamato is classified as a veg or a fruit. Never to old to learn.

Google and see if a tamato is classified as a veg or a fruit. Never to old to learn.

Yes very true I am aware of the fact tomatoes are a fruit my post was in general terms about very poor quality veggies and fruit in the major stores.... Seems you still have some learning to do yourself.... Trying doing a Google search on your spelling..... Lol just hope you are not an English teacher...

The 'cherry' tomatoes I've seen locally are not the same as those in the UK, and certainly nowhere near as delicious.

Pesticides used are my main concern about veg. on sale here (organic produce is hard to find), and I don't believe for one minute that the market stalls here on Phuket are selling their own produce. I have even more doubt that the veg. on market stalls is pesticide-free!

Growing our own veg. would be wonderful, but living on Phuket, close to the sea and consequently having VERY dry soil - its not possible. Although chilli plants in pots survive for a while.

Yup local market stalls are not any better with regards to having less pesticide. Just 2 month or so ago, there was a report regarding to pesticide. The "Thailand Organic" brand sold at food land has the least amount of pesticide.

Planting your own is the best, or buy imported veggies from countries such as Australia...

Villa Market, Bangkok is the best.

Large selection of organic and hard to find American products.

I buy the pricier items I need there and then go to Tesco or Big C for discount items.