Lower Phuket taxi fares to be considered

snoop1130

“However, we have today decided that all taxis must now display about the cost of their service in four languages"

Please tell me this sign will be on the outside of the taxi so RTP can observe every taxi driving on the street and take appropriate action on the defaulters.

Would be so much easier for ALL Taxi's to be forced to install and use meters.

ahhh, but the Phuket meter taxis all have their meters programmed to be about 2-4 times the rate of Bangkok taxis.

Installing meters in tuktuks is an exercise in futility. You can be sure the meters would be programmed to keep the current, outrageous rates in effect. All approved by the local officials, of course. I'd expect something like 150 baht for the flag drop, and 50 baht per 100 meters in Patong.

The thing is, if any of these drivers try to offer a lower fare or do something that goes against what "the association" dictates, they get a beat down. This is how they are kept in line and why they tow the line. They too have threats made against them if they try to buck the system. So it's kind of "don't hate the player, hate the game" and the game goes back to those who benefit from the extortionate fares.

The thing is, if any of these drivers try to offer a lower fare or do something that goes against what "the association" dictates, they get a beat down. This is how they are kept in line and why they tow the line. They too have threats made against them if they try to buck the system. So it's kind of "don't hate the player, hate the game" and the game goes back to those who benefit from the extortionate fares.

As stated before, the drivers are just the money collectors for the ones making the real money in this disgraceful situation.

<snip>

When I first lived in Patong the tuk tuk drivers were friendly & cheap. One night I had no money left in my pocket when I got back to my room. The driver simply came back the next day to collect his 10 Baht.

Must have been a m/bike taxi. I can remember the days of a 10 baht m/bike fare in Patong. I can never remember a TukTuk fare less than 200 baht.

Are you calling me a liar? I do know the difference between a motorbike & tuk tuk. Those were the days when you only had a cluster of bars inside where the Aussie Bar is now with the likes of Kangaroo & Bounty Bar opposite then virtually nothing until the top of Bangla where there was Rock Hard & Hard Rock. After 2am the whole soi virtually became dark apart from the Kangaroo which stayed open until daylight with party goers spilling out on the street. Hard Rock also stayed open but with doors closed so not obvious. Alice bar, who's owner was slaughtered with his own ornamental swords, used to have their bar girls inside the bar counter.

I don't know where you were LIK but in those days 200 Baht probably got you a tuk tuk to Phuket Town.

<snip>

When I first lived in Patong the tuk tuk drivers were friendly & cheap. One night I had no money left in my pocket when I got back to my room. The driver simply came back the next day to collect his 10 Baht.

Must have been a m/bike taxi. I can remember the days of a 10 baht m/bike fare in Patong. I can never remember a TukTuk fare less than 200 baht.

Are you calling me a liar? I do know the difference between a motorbike & tuk tuk. Those were the days when you only had a cluster of bars inside where the Aussie Bar is now with the likes of Kangaroo & Bounty Bar opposite then virtually nothing until the top of Bangla where there was Rock Hard & Hard Rock. After 2am the whole soi virtually became dark apart from the Kangaroo which stayed open until daylight with party goers spilling out on the street. Hard Rock also stayed open but with doors closed so not obvious. Alice bar, who's owner was slaughtered with his own ornamental swords, used to have their bar girls inside the bar counter.

I don't know where you were LIK but in those days 200 Baht probably got you a tuk tuk to Phuket Town.

Absolut correct. The days of saloon bar, u2 and kangaroo were great. Only roll out and a friendly tuktuk driver bring u home for 10-20 baht. Regular hop on fare was also cheap this way. 150-200 baht to phuket town and 300-400 to airport.

<snip>

Absolut correct. The days of saloon bar, u2 and kangaroo were great. Only roll out and a friendly tuktuk driver bring u home for 10-20 baht. Regular hop on fare was also cheap this way. 150-200 baht to phuket town and 300-400 to airport.

The good old crazy days in Bangla. Looking back I think those guys were independent operators & even if they were not their handlers were not too greedy. The ones I spoke with generally owned their own vehicles.