Udon man found dead with his headphones on - police suspect electrocution

webfact

What if the guy had got drunk, fallen asleep, peed himself, the pee flooded the fan causing a short out. Electrocuted the bloke, then the main relay fuse blows. 2 days later is enough time for the pee to have evaporated.

In the op photo the fan and a multi-socket plug adapter are near the body. The pee could have easily reached that far.

Another note, spot the nosey neighbor's at the door. Even when your dead they want a look in your flat, house, etc, nosey bloody I've got no life of my own losers.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

I am not sure the head line story meant he was electrocuted by the headphones but know the stupidity of some Thai police officers I would not be surprised, It was more likley he was listing to music on his computer through headphones touched the computer and got an electric shock w00t.gifw00t.gif

If the headset is a copy made in China, everything is possible.

Headphone levels of voltage are 1-1.5 volts, big ones being excruciatingly loud at 5 volts.

Like a penlight battery, hardly enough juice to kill a gekko.

Not even close to as as bad as licking the terminals of a 9 volt battery.

Edited by animatic

absolute nonsense, I cannot think of how this could be even a remote possibility unless he plugged the headphones into a wall socket and even then it still seems impossible

There is no earthing system in thailand and the live and neutral cables are often plugged in the wrong way around, making the neutral on the appliance actually live.

I have often seen microphones live due to poor electrical systems on sound systems.

BUT most earphones are padded which forms an insulated barrier, unless he was wearing cheap in the ear phones

You cannot compare microphones and head phones. A professional condenser microphone carries 48V DC. And can deliver a nasty shock or even death under the right circumstances. The reason has nothing to do with swapped neutral or non grounded equipment. Once the mic cable leaves the sound board it is carrying DC voltage, a swapped neutral or even no ground on the AC side makes no difference. There is a polarity switch on the sound board that it used to change the positive and negative lines on the mic cable to prevent shock. Since DC current also flows through the metal strings of the guitar, this polarity switch is necessary to prevent the shock than can occur with different polarity. Yes, there has been at least one case of some one being electrocuted by a microphone. Headphones are completely different. Most headphones operate between 1.5 and 5 volts. Amperage output is extremely minimal. There is no bare metal to touch the skin. The wires used in headphones are so small, they would melt before supplying enough current to cause electrocution. There is the one story about the defective computer and power supply sending 220V straight to the head phone jack. This story is suspect to me and if it really did happen and result in a death, it was the best case of Murphy's Law I've ever heard of and I think the odds of getting killed by a flying pig/goat hybrid are much higher. BTW There is an earthing system in Thailand. Whether or not the electrician used it is a different story.

unless something has dramatically changed, guitar strings are not electrically attached to anything, the rest of your post is pretty much spot on, thx for the detail, it amazes me how police here suddenly become engineers - pathologists - forensic experts when they are called to a sudden death or murder scene, perhaps they would be better leaving the expert evaluation to ......experts

The bridge of the guitar IS connected to a ground lug on the plug and one side of the pickups.

This is why a bad ground loop inversion from badly set up systems can cause a PA voltage to go to ground through a players hands.

absolute nonsense, I cannot think of how this could be even a remote possibility unless he plugged the headphones into a wall socket and even then it still seems impossible

There is no earthing system in thailand and the live and neutral cables are often plugged in the wrong way around, making the neutral on the appliance actually live.

I have often seen microphones live due to poor electrical systems on sound systems.

BUT most earphones are padded which forms an insulated barrier, unless he was wearing cheap in the ear phones

An expert, hmm? Guess you should have a chat with an electrician sometime, what you're writing about live and neutral on appliances is BS, sorry!

unless something has dramatically changed, guitar strings are not electrically attached to anything, the rest of your post is pretty much spot on, thx for the detail, it amazes me how police here suddenly become engineers - pathologists - forensic experts when they are called to a sudden death or murder scene, perhaps they would be better leaving the expert evaluation to ......experts

The strings get charged with electricity though the pick up by electromagnetic induction. Different pickups produce different amounts of induction, and some modern pickups are powered by 2 9 volt batteries inside of the guitar. I have been a musician for over 30 years and I can promise you, touching your strings while touching something with the incorrect polarity or sometimes even un-grounded metal can shock the crap out of you. Also as stated in an earlier post some (but not all) guitars have the bridge and pickups connected though the electronics for noise cancelling purposes.

Edited by cmth

So-called 'Jack' 'also Mini-) and 'RCA' ('cinch') signal plugs are (per channel) linked with one 'signal' lead and one called 'ground' indeed, but it seems to be forgotten on this topic that most electric appliances with low power consumption have only a two conductors power cable (and mostly electric plug) but NO 'GROUND LEAD' (they are not 'earthed')!

Imagine you have a powerfull amplifier/receiver with three conductors' power cable and plug pins (phase+neutral+ground), but you use a CD or DVD reader which doesn't, you could still have an 'infection' on all the 'ground' parts of your signal in- and out-puts (this can often be remedied by inverting the two-pins AC plug in the AC outlet of that un-grounded appliance, eventually adding an extra ground lead from the metallic casing to the earthing circuit of your place, although considering most Thai buildings don't have any or a decent one).

The 'infection' I write about will not necessarily result in any humming in your system's sound (which is mostly caused by a problem with the ground lead of signal cables), but it can cause unpleasant electric discharges in your fingers when you touch signal ground parts or any metallic part of your system, especially when you're sweaty and wear no rubber soles on a, wet?, tiled floor, they are not dangerous though, very low 'amperage', in French we call it 'courant de fuite', something of a small power leak, no big loss).

Cheers

Edited by bangrak

interesting how some people perceive electricity supply and are in fact completely wrong, voltage is a relative thing measured between two points, it is called potential difference, because the ground (literally the earth) is used as a reference point we can assume it as such, electricity is drawn not pushed so the potential is actually created in the ground at source (the generator in the power station) AC (alternating current) is used because of the huge voltages required over long distances and the need to use transformers to step the voltage down for domestic use usually 220v, USA uses 110v for some appliances but households are also supplied with higher voltages for certain high wattage appliances by using a phased supply running at 220v, the defacto reference is always the ground, polarity is mute because it is AC, the domestic feed is ususally one cable (UK) single phase and two cables in the USA 3 Phase because the USA use two dometic voltages 110v and 220v AC, the negative is basically a ground for appliance use and is mostly the same a the defacto reference ground which is used for safety reasons (it is simply connected differently) and is usually connected to appliance metalwork plumbing etc, the interesting fact is as stated above - the potential for electricity to flow is created in the ground not on what most people refer to as positive.

DC is completely different and I will discuss that in the next chapter lol but here is some food for thought, 12v DC between two points (the potential difference) could be Point A 94vdc and point B 106vdc =12v but relevent to reference true ground C they are true voltages of 94vdc and 106vdc, you see this sort of thing when using DC power converters to develope multiple DC voltages

it is all relative

Potential difference is an interesting subject to discuss especially with domestic supply

If an underground high voltage cable is damaged and starts to leak current into the ground (in some cases making it heat up considerably) engineers when approaching the site will walk with very small steps because the voltages are so high that a large step could create a lethal voltage between your feet as the step distance increases - a potential difference between your feet, the ground is generally not a good conductor depending on moisture levels - your body is path of least resistance

Engineers will often work on high voltage cables without turning off the supply, the cables are good conductors so there is no risk of a lethal potential difference in 3 feet of cable they are working on with hundreds of thoughsands of volts, access is generally via helecoptor dropped onto the cable from above

interesting how some people perceive electricity supply and are in fact completely wrong, voltage is a relative thing measured between two points, it is called potential difference, because the ground (literally the earth) is used as a reference point we can assume it as such, electricity is drawn not pushed so the potential is actually created in the ground at source (the generator in the power station) AC (alternating current) is used because of the huge voltages required over long distances and the need to use transformers to step the voltage down for domestic use usually 220v, USA uses 110v for some appliances but households are also supplied with higher voltages for certain high wattage appliances by using a phased supply running at 220v, the defacto reference is always the ground, polarity is mute because it is AC, the domestic feed is ususally one cable (UK) single phase and two cables in the USA 3 Phase because the USA use two dometic voltages 110v and 220v AC, the negative is basically a ground for appliance use and is mostly the same a the defacto reference ground which is used for safety reasons (it is simply connected differently) and is usually connected to appliance metalwork plumbing etc, the interesting fact is as stated above - the potential for electricity to flow is created in the ground not on what most people refer to as positive.

DC is completely different and I will discuss that in the next chapter lol but here is some food for thought, 12v DC between two points (the potential difference) could be Point A 94vdc and point B 106vdc =12v but relevent to reference true ground C they are true voltages of 94vdc and 106vdc, you see this sort of thing when using DC power converters to develope multiple DC voltages

it is all relative

Potential difference is an interesting subject to discuss especially with domestic supply

If an underground high voltage cable is damaged and starts to leak current into the ground (in some cases making it heat up considerably) engineers when approaching the site will walk with very small steps because the voltages are so high that a large step could create a lethal voltage between your feet as the step distance increases - a potential difference between your feet, the ground is generally not a good conductor depending on moisture levels - your body is path of least resistance

Engineers will often work on high voltage cables without turning off the supply, the cables are good conductors so there is no risk of a lethal potential difference in 3 feet of cable they are working on with hundreds of thoughsands of volts, access is generally via helecoptor dropped onto the cable from above

I am very familiar with Potential Difference. Your numbers are a little drastic and would not apply to most situations, especially in reference to DC for the circuits we are talking about here. As far as the US power system you are completely wrong. Homes in the US are served by single phase AC power. There are 4 lines that enter the home. 2 lines at 120 volts each, 1 neutral wire which is grounded at the transformer on the power pole and a separate ground that is attached to a copper rod that is a least 8 ft. into the ground next to the power meter at the home. Businesses may use three phase AC power if the need is there. There are 2 types of three phase power in the US, Three Phase 4 wire 208Y/120V. In this arrangement you have 3 110 volt single phase power circuits and a 208 volt three phase circuit. For higher power demands there is Three Phase 4 wire 480Y/277V. This arrangement provides 3 277 volt single phase power circuits and a 480 volt three phase circuit. in this setup transformers are always used on the 277 volt circuits to change the voltage to 240 volts or 120 volts. Bonus fun facts in a DC circuit, current actually flows from negative to positive, not the other way around. An AC line is only powered 50 or 60 times per second based on the country. If you were the Flash you can touch the wire and remove your finger before getting shocked.

it is all relative

I am very familiar with Potential Difference. Your numbers are a little drastic and would not apply to most situations, especially in reference to DC for the circuits we are talking about here. As far as the US power system you are completely wrong. Homes in the US are served by single phase AC power. There are 4 lines that enter the home. 2 lines at 120 volts each, 1 neutral wire which is grounded at the transformer on the power pole and a separate ground that is attached to a copper rod that is a least 8 ft. into the ground next to the power meter at the home. Businesses may use three phase AC power if the need is there. There are 2 types of three phase power in the US, Three Phase 4 wire 208Y/120V. In this arrangement you have 3 110 volt single phase power circuits and a 208 volt three phase circuit. For higher power demands there is Three Phase 4 wire 480Y/277V. This arrangement provides 3 277 volt single phase power circuits and a 480 volt three phase circuit. in this setup transformers are always used on the 277 volt circuits to change the voltage to 240 volts or 120 volts. Bonus fun facts in a DC circuit, current actually flows from negative to positive, not the other way around. An AC line is only powered 50 or 60 times per second based on the country. If you were the Flash you can touch the wire and remove your finger before getting shocked.

yes I understand not applicable hear it was only an example.

Not from the USA but I always understood domestic supply was 2x 110 opposite phase providing 220 for high current appliances like cookers etc but hey like I said not from there. Thanks for the info though

Not from the USA but I always understood domestic supply was 2x 110 opposite phase providing 220 for high current appliances like cookers etc but hey like I said not from there. Thanks for the info though

I hope you didn't take my response as being a smarta$$. I was just clarifying the system used in the US so there was no confusion. Being from the US, I had similar issues when coming to Thailand. I knew everything was 220V, but a 220V line and a neutral made no sense to me until I researched the power system here. I was expecting 2 110V lines.

I hope you didn't take my response as being a smarta$$. I was just clarifying the system used in the US so there was no confusion. Being from the US, I had similar issues when coming to Thailand. I knew everything was 220V, but a 220V line and a neutral made no sense to me until I researched the power system here. I was expecting 2 110V lines.

Gents, you both seem to making a basic mistake. Phase to phase voltage is 1.732 (root3) times line voltage. Phase to phase on 110V would give you ~190V, not 220.

Gents, you both seem to making a basic mistake. Phase to phase voltage is 1.732 (root3) times line voltage. Phase to phase on 110V would give you ~190V, not 220.

I am talking about single phase power as we refer to it in the US. If you want to get technical, it is actually dual phase or split phase. There are 2 110V volt lines running 180 degrees out of phase with each other. 220V every time. No such thing as 190V in the US.

Why is everyone assuming the headphones electrocuted him? Improbable. It could have been him tinkering with the plugs and adaptor. They're really shit quality here. RIP. seemed like a decent kid who was unlucky.