Possible emergency state prepared in Trat in case of nuclear-powered electricity in Cambodia

webfact

Possible emergency state prepared in Trat in case of nuclear-powered electricity in neighboring country

TRAT, 21 June 2016, (NNT) - The Ministry of Energy has set preparations for possible emergency state in case of developments of nuclear-powered electricity in a neighboring country.

The Ministry of Energy organized a training program in provincial seat of Trat, which shares border with Cambodia, as part of the preparations for possible emergency state. The training program was attended by local administrative and government officials and press members.

Wachirawit Boonsom, the director of a nuclear energy study and coordination division of the Ministry of Energy, said that the training program was organized to enhance the potential readiness of networks and personnel in handling such emergency state.

It will raise confidence in safety measures to take in case of nuclear-powered electricity and create awareness among members of the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-21 footer_n.gif

My comprehension skills have failed me on this one.

Easy to understand!

We have not had a trip away for ages, where should we go, aha Trat looks good.

So how.do we justify the trip? We need to think of something not too tangible, nothing that can be measured, something scary (that we can accuse another country of creating).

OK Boss, sorted, 5 star resorts booked, seafood ordered and a little duty free shopping trip for the mrs and the kids on the side.

Excellent work Somchai, excellent.

thai produced cbrn suits to be issued to the entire populace of trat?

ex-military types will remember cbrn training.

attach the tube connected to the bottle strapped to your leg to your 'old fella' boys, me to the sgt, what about s**ting i ask, sgt's reply don't worry son, in these suits we will all be s**ting.

Has there ever been any suggestion Cambodia is thinking about nuclear power?

Yes there is. Cambodia signed a training a research agreement with Russia in November 2015, but that agreement did not cover the design or building of an electricity generation plant. Sensibly, the Russians suggested that Cambodia start with a small research facility, so a full scale nuclear electricity generating plant is a long way off - if it ever gets built. Cambodia is much more likely to continue developing hydro electricity generating plants and has plans to build three more such stations.

Diversion away ffrom the PM's catastrophic recent performance in respect of the UDD and the GT2000.

Cambodia isn't going to have nuclear pelectricity for decades, this is just another all-expenses-paid junket/shopping trip/tourism opportu nity combined with a message that the government is 'looking after' the Thai people.

Winnie

That's a good point. I would never have imagined they would be interested or be able to afford it?

Yes they will, and guess who will help to build it ...... Russia !

Yes, there has been. Recently read an article about it. I think it was over on the Phnom Penh post. Apparently with Russian assistance.

However, it will take many years before (if) it does happen. In the meantime, perhaps Thailand might like to re-consider it's own stance?

Maybe time to move from Trat!

​There are many more Thai provinces bordering Cambodia than just Trat. I'm not sure why it was singled out unless the proposed nuclear power plant in Cambodia happened to be constructed in Koh Kong. However, Koh Kong is largely mountainous and forested not to mention relatively uninhabited, unless they clear some jungle for it, wouldn't it make more sense to be located closer to a large population center like Phnom Penh? Presumably also because Phnom Penh actually needs the power generated by it.

Besides, most of central Cambodia is flat, doesn't have any forest cover anymore so would be much better suited for a project of this nature.

Right after the Chernobyl catastrophe, we in France were told by our government that the winds loaded with radioactive dust had stopped right at the German border and did not enter the country. With support from "experts" from government-owned meteorological agency.

Many, many accepted the blatant lie. Only months if not years later the truth was told.

I'm sure that's a trick that the PM would reuse, with extra support from astrologists, and help from some mysterious high-tech (and expensive) "devices" planted at the border to keep the nukes away. And a recommendation to wear extra amulets.

Edited by Lannig

Right after the Chernobyl catastrophe, we in France were told by our government that the winds loaded with radioactive dust had stopped right at the German border and did not enter the country. With support from "experts" from government-owned meteorological agency.

Many, many accepted the blatant lie. Only months if not years later the truth was told.

I'm sure that's a trick that the PM would reuse, with extra support from astrologists, and help from some mysteriously (and expensive) "devices" planted at the border to keep the nukes away. And a recommendation to wear extra amulets.

...which he would cheerfully sell you at only twice the current price...

W