Phuket in August

downtown

Dear all

Thanks to the lovely, arbitrary ministry of education uk rules the family and I will be holidaying in Thailand in Aug for the 1st time - been to Phuket in November before and loved and would like to visit again but I'm concerned that it will piss - down the whole time, reminding me of England. a hotelier i spoke to on our previous trip said the weather can still be fine in Aug but I guess he would say that. worth a punt or is the thought of being holed up for a few days and night with a hyper 5 year old too much to bear??

D.

For such low/off season times I usually suggest to people to just book one or two nights in Bangkok on advance.

Then decide on a short term basis where to go depending on the weather situation.

There is more to Thailand than Phuket.

Either booking shortly before flying or just after arriving.

No one can predict what will happen this year after the extreme drought years 2014 and 2015.

Will it swing to the other extreme?

Bangkok already got extreme downpour.

In my opinion the problems for tourists in August are not coming from the sky but from the sea, that can be very dangerous and may prevent the possibility of swimming.

If you are planning to spend your time on the beach be cautious, if you are not particularly interested in beach activities you could have a good holiday in a nice Phuket, less crowded than in November.

Over the years I have observed that August usually has 2 to 3 hours of rain most afternoons.

Of course its still very warm , even when raining.

But the last dry season was longer and hotter than any Ive seen in my 8 years here , and this Wet started late and was almost continuous at the end of May.

So its a bit hard to say if it will be like other years.

But of late its started to resemble the previous pattern.

Archived