VDSL or Fiber Optic?

Eclipse

Hi .

We currently have True Fiber 30 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up.

The Wife is having run ins with them at the moment and was wondering whether to tell them what to do with their service.

The only alternative is 3BB VDSL 50 down / 10 up.

Would that be a worse option even though it is higher speeds?

In the past we had 3BB 15/1 and was quite happy with it.

Thanks.

It's hard telling. The fiber or VDSL or cable or ADSL is just the last mile (so to speak) of your internet connection with your internet service provider. As that last mile goes upstream to connect into the internet service provider's same backbone network which is probably fiber and then must go to the provider's same domestic and international gateways to connect to Thailand and international sites.

A provider's limited bandwidth/throttled international gateway is what causes a lot of farangs to complain about their service since they are primarily accessing websites/servers in Farang Lands versus domestic servers/website in Thailand. I guess what I'm saying the last mile portion is just part of the provider's chain...if the rest of their chain sucks then it drags down the last mile with it.

You might want to review below very recent thread by muratremix who switched from True 30/3 to 3BB VDSL 50/10.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926042-3bb-5010-vdsl-review-speedtests/?p=10872856

One of the advantages of using fiber (FTTh) is not only the speed, for us it’s also reliability. Before when we had xDSL we often had problems with losing connection or slowdowns when a thunderstorm and lightning started.

With fiber we have no problems at all, the only problem we had was a stupid True technician breaking our cable… this was highly controversial as we use 3BB… 3BB officially complaint to True about the incident. By the way 3BB had the cable fixed in less than 3 hours…

3BB international speeds are limited to 2.5 mbit / s for single connection.

Exceptions: Singapore (10-20-50 or max speed), cambodia (max speed), hong kong (10mbit), Korea (? mbit) and probably other Asian countries.

True has shitty transparent proxy. But gives better ping to local / singapore destination due to fiber / docsis.

3BB is superior in terms of ping and world connectivity. Does not block VOIP. Sound is good in voip.

If you don't use singapore proxy/vpn or google / apple cloud, superior upload speed of 3BB is slower than True's 3mbit against international locations. I get 1mbit with 3BB upload speed via 50/10 3BB VDSL! But I get 8-9 mbit with singapore proxy/vpn.

The Wife is having run ins with them at the moment and was wondering whether to tell them what to do with their service.

What types of issues are you experiencing with True Online Fiber?

AIS does now offer Fiber in some locations.

Does True Online offer DOCSIS (cable internet) anymore? (for new customers)

We have 3BB ADSL (18/1.8) in our apartment, and 3BB Fiber (100/30) in our house. We have been happy with both. Contacts at 3BB (personal friends) have suggested that we stick with both offers even though there are less expensive options (VDSL, or 100/10 Fiber) as these are better provisioned within 3BB/Jasmine.

My one concern with 3BB is their rapid expansion - they're pedaling fiber and VDSL in many provinces, and promotional schemes meant to gain market share, which might mean issues (support, service, performance) going forward.

We've had True Online (xDSL) before and were unhappy with their customer service, specifically re: technical issues.

We have 3BB ADSL (18/1.8) in our apartment, and 3BB Fiber (100/30) in our house. We have been happy with both. Contacts at 3BB (personal friends) have suggested that we stick with both offers even though there are less expensive options (VDSL, or 100/10 Fiber) as these are better provisioned within 3BB/Jasmine.

My one concern with 3BB is their rapid expansion - they're pedaling fiber and VDSL in many provinces, and promotional schemes meant to gain market share, which might mean issues (support, service, performance) going forward.

We've had True Online (xDSL) before and were unhappy with their customer service, specifically re: technical issues.

If you go for FTTH ask to see the OTDR results, they will tell you is there is anything to be concerned about in the installation

True is just a crap company.

Always seem to be pulling some scam or other.

They are trying to get backpay for the True Visions side of the original promotion.

Something she was lead to believe was free.

We never watch it. In fact I disconnected it and put it in the cupboard.

She told them to get stuffed, or the Thai equivalent.

My one concern with 3BB is their rapid expansion - they're pedaling fiber and VDSL in many provinces, and promotional schemes meant to gain market share, which might mean issues (support, service, performance) going forward.fib

A year or so ago True changed the name of their Trueonline DOCSIS/cable to Fiber Cable Internet (FCI), which can include either DOCSIS or fiber optics....it depends on what is in your area as to whether DOCSIS or fiber is available. DOCSIS is alive and well but its slowly being replaced/supplemented with fiber optics.

I had both at the same time, 3BB and True (30/3) for a year. I have just cancelled True now because its so unbelievable slow here in Samui for international websites. ( I often had downloads with only 30kb/s (0.3 Mbit) ). Even when its faster sometimes, the also throttle your speed, they give you a limit of about 1 or 2 GB per hour, so if you have one big download it just slows the speed after a while.

I recently switched to the 3BB VDSL (50/10) 2 months ago (from 3BB ADSL) and it just works amazing. Even connected my PC by LAN cable because the wifi was not fast enough. Yes sometimes you still have those websites where you can only download with 5 or even 1Mbit , but I am really suprised how many times I really get the full speed. Also the 10Mbit upstream comes really nice for cloud uploades, or even just sending a few photos to the mates.

They are trying to get backpay for the True Visions side of the original promotion.

So I assume your internet is working fine? And that you want to switch because of issues unrelated to your internet service?

Either that or they cut us off for non payment.

It is all connected. True Visions comes through the Internet .

I had both at the same time, 3BB and True (30/3) for a year. I have just cancelled True now because its so unbelievable slow here in Samui for international websites. ( I often had downloads with only 30kb/s (0.3 Mbit) ). Even when its faster sometimes, the also throttle your speed, they give you a limit of about 1 or 2 GB per hour, so if you have one big download it just slows the speed after a while.

I recently switched to the 3BB VDSL (50/10) 2 months ago (from 3BB ADSL) and it just works amazing. Even connected my PC by LAN cable because the wifi was not fast enough. Yes sometimes you still have those websites where you can only download with 5 or even 1Mbit , but I am really suprised how many times I really get the full speed. Also the 10Mbit upstream comes really nice for cloud uploades, or even just sending a few photos to the mates.

It is actually 0.03 Mbps makes it even worse. The download speed will always depend on how many users are online at any one time. The specified speed is the maximum under ideal conditions that you will get. My daughter asked me why she wasnt getting the full 100/10 speed. I explained that for a start at 100 you ony ever get 45 you will never get the full amount and that is by design.

The only way you can get an idea, realistically, of the speed is to ping the server you are connected to. If you ping Google the time will vary with the time of day and usage.

It is actually 0.03 Mbps makes it even worse. The download speed will always depend on how many users are online at any one time. The specified speed is the maximum under ideal conditions that you will get. My daughter asked me why she wasnt getting the full 100/10 speed. I explained that for a start at 100 you ony ever get 45 you will never get the full amount and that is by design.

The only way you can get an idea, realistically, of the speed is to ping the server you are connected to. If you ping Google the time will vary with the time of day and usage.

Was that 45Mb with an Ethernet or Wifi connection? Thanks.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Hello, do you know if now, when applying 3bb we still have to pay for a router ?

Even if I pay 1 full year internet ahead ?

And what is the cheapest offer for VDSL now ? (no fiber in my building (too high), but VDSL ok)

Thank you.

At the bottom of the 3BB page talking their 30Mb VDSL plan it says no charge for the router.  See below Google Translate of what the page says at the bottom.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/1

Terms and conditions apply.
• One month subscription fee. • 
Free VDSL WiFi Router. 
• Discount 5,000 Baht. 
• The company reserves the right to provide service in case of speed. The connection speed is lower than that specified in the selected package. Due to technical or network factors or limitations, and the number of users at that time.

Although above 3BB web page only mentions a 30Mb VDSL plan for Bt590 they use to have, and still may have, a 50Mb VDSL plan for Bt700.  Add 7% VAT to the plans to get final monthly price.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually we are just deciding which way to go with this..they have just run the fiber optic cable and yesterday the sales people came...lied a little..internet not connected in our soi..persuaded to sign papers...no money yet...they said ..next week we can see what speed it really is...we signed for 100/30. 749 bht +800 router.....got a phone call later..they need money after they install....and we have cooling off 7 days....if not satisfied...refund.!!?.I don't know how to deal with this..What I read 590 bht +free router is ok speed...I don't watch videos or movies...just some YouTube songs ....evenings only....help pls :-) :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/18/2017 at 7:42 PM, Pib said:

At the bottom of the 3BB page talking their 30Mb VDSL plan it says no charge for the router.  See below Google Translate of what the page says at the bottom.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/1

Although above 3BB web page only mentions a 30Mb VDSL plan for Bt590 they use to have, and still may have, a 50Mb VDSL plan for Bt700.  Add 7% VAT to the plans to get final monthly price.

but as they are not even able to deliver 30, I won't pay for 50...

5 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

but as they are not even able to deliver 30, I won't pay for 50...

How do you know that...apparently you don't even have internet with 3BB based on your earlier question of how much does it cost, router cost, etc. 

Delivering 30Mb should be a piece of cake if it's "VDSL".  But if it's "ADSL" then 20Mb is probably going to be the max delivered on an ADSL plan.

Archived