• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could tell you of many gains... if only i could think of some gigglem.gif

FTSE100 up 40

FTSE 250 up 165

In England that is what we call gains.

FTSE 250, 23 June, 17.3k - today, 16.3K. So that's a gain in a Brexiteers book of economics is it!

You should go into politics - you are adept at comparing apples and oranges!!

I said the FTSE (both indices) were up on the day. Fact.

You come back with am irrelevant, unconnected statement. Labour front bench for you I think.

Let me try again to see if you can grasp the message:-

In the last month (a reasonable spread before and after the vote):-

FTSE 100 UP 747 points

FTSE 250 UP 519 points.

Or is that down in the eyes of Remainiacs ?

And with such a comment you dare say that the other poster would make a good politician cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To determine if the stock market is up or down you use the figure right before the referendum and the figure today and look at the difference.

Recovering from a heavy loss is not a gain, it's a dead cat bounce.

a picture tells more than 10 000 words. FTSE100 up ~12% / GBP USD down 11% = jip99 wins the contest with 1% difference smile.png

attachicon.gifFTSE100 GBP USD.jpg

Interesting but how about the 250?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/27/why-we-should-be-looking-at-the-ftse-250-and-not-the-ftse-100-to/

Also, at least in terms of currency, looking at a 'a reasonable spread before and after the vote' is disingenuous - the rate has been impacted all year by the run up to the vote and the uncertainty that came with it.

Better to look at the rate of 1.50 from the end part of last year, which is also the rate GBP returned to in the hours after the vote where exit polls strongly indicated a 'remain' result.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Interesting but how about the 250?

parameters are changed easily but leniency with Brexiteers is of paramount importance. let them savour and celebrate their victory now. it will only take a couple of years till they find out that either nothing has changed or that the [not so] United Kingdom has lost big.

Brexiteers need our empathy! wai2.gif

Better to look at the rate of 1.50 from the end part of last year, which is also the rate GBP returned to in the hours after the vote where exit polls strongly indicated a 'remain' result.

Why not look at the rate for early last year?

Edited by MissAndry

Because late last year is the point immediately prior to when campaigning began.

It also happens to correlate perfectly with the rate the GBP reached late on the 23rd after exit polls were conducted - there's an obvious reason it returned there...

Feel free to take the average of 2015 if you like though, 1.528504

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Why not look at the rate for early last year?

Why not look at the rate 30 years ago, it was even lower today and it bears just about the same relevance to looking at it any time in the past when leaving the EU wasn't an issue.

Of course 30 years ago doesn't bear the same relevance as the rate immediately prior to Brexit campaigning began, but people are entirely welcome to pull the wool over their eyes just as hard as they would like to.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Of course 30 years doesn't bear the same relevance as the rate immediately prior to Brexit campaigning began, but feel free to pull the wool over further.

The only relevance of any data you choose is that as a remainer, you would live to make leavers look stupid or wrong.

That's all you're going to post, even if Brexit was proven 100% valid tomorrow and the pound jumped up to 60bht, you would still have the same agenda (or just top posting in these threads)

When the Aussie dollar lost 25% last year you didn't show any interest.

When the Swedish Krona lost 20% in a couple of weeks, you weren't claiming it was the end of the world.

But the GBP drops 10% and it's we're all doooooomed.

Edited by MissAndry

Of course 30 years doesn't bear the same relevance as the rate immediately prior to Brexit campaigning began, but people are entirely welcome to pull the wool over their eyes just as hard as they would like to.

My point is the rate comparison only became an issue once there was serious talk of exiting, not 2 years ago, not 20 or 30 years ago.

However, at this point it is all reactionary and baseless anyway because no one knows what will happen long term. Though I personally can't see positives in leaving the EU and seemingly the people(politicians and public) who voted for it can't see verifiable positives either, which begs the question why would you vote for something you know nothing about?

Yeah you're right MissAndry, everything's all rosey and I wish I'd kept all my savings in sterling now.

We simply must look at the FTSE chart and cherry pick the most ascending chart, without considering global FX, the multinational nature of it's constituents, or that the uncertainly surrounding the impending vote may have impacted sterling in the months prior to the vote.

Thanks for clearing all that up.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I personally can't see positives in leaving the EU and seemingly the people(politicians and public) who voted for it can't see verifiable positives either, which begs the question why would you vote for something you know nothing about?

I thought I explained that one, it was a 'nothing changes' or 'uncertainty' vote.

And when you're a low income family with nothing and no hope, 'uncertainty' is probably the sensible vote.

If you have loads of money, a nice house, and a good job, then of course you vote for 'nothing changes'

Of course 30 years doesn't bear the same relevance as the rate immediately prior to Brexit campaigning began, but feel free to pull the wool over further.

The only relevance of any data you choose is that as a remainer, you would live to make leavers look stupid or wrong.

That's all you're going to post, even if Brexit was proven 100% valid tomorrow and the pound jumped up to 60bht, you would still have the same agenda (or just top posting in these threads)

By that logic as a "brexiter"(which i presume you are) ....Does that explain why you are continuing to post? Everything is negative about exiting now and your have not stopped posting.......

We simply must look at the FTSE chart and cherry pick the most ascending chart, without considering global FX, the multinational nature of it's constituents, or that the uncertainly surrounding the impending vote may have impacted sterling in the months prior to the vote.

What you're missing, is the people who voted leave have no money and no interest in banking, exchange rates or the values of stocks and shares.

They would just like enough money to buy their kids a new pair of shoes, something the Conservative austerity policy is unlikely to give them.

They will vote for anything to force a change on the theory, things can't get any worse for them, and they're right.

Edited by MissAndry

I personally can't see positives in leaving the EU and seemingly the people(politicians and public) who voted for it can't see verifiable positives either, which begs the question why would you vote for something you know nothing about?

I thought I explained that one, it was a 'nothing changes' or 'uncertainty' vote.

And when you're a low income family with nothing and no hope, 'uncertainty' is probably the sensible vote.

If you have loads of money, a nice house, and a good job, then of course you vote for 'nothing changes'

Voting to change for changes sake doesn't make it right. By saying that it seems you think it is ok to vote for your life to get worse, so long as you didn't know what you were voting for.

Maybe that is where we differ, I would want to be sure before jumping into something that could go either way

It also doesn't means things will improve, all indications before and after the vote have been they won't improve.

And despite the "woe is me" attitude of a lot of British people, they still have it better there than 90%(random made up figure) of the world

Of course 30 years ago doesn't bear the same relevance as the rate immediately prior to Brexit campaigning began, but people are entirely welcome to pull the wool over their eyes just as hard as they would like to.

I'm missing something here as sterling/bht fell not that long ago to around 44 to sterling.

It gradually improved to (recently) around 50 bht to sterling - and then hovered around that mark. (I've only been looking at SCB TT rates).

After brexit it fell and stabilised at around 46. The political uncertainty caused it to fall to around 44 a while later.

Its back up to the rate of the original brexit fall and stabilisation.

Time will tell - but please don't tell me that this is a new low in the sterling/bht comparison - its not....

Voting to change for changes sake doesn't make it right. By saying that it seems you think it is ok to vote for your life to get worse

Well, it got rid of Cameron, which was a great start and completely overturned the current Tory leadership.

It looks like it will get rid of Corbyn, which is also promising IMHO.

As for my life, I didn't vote and short of the complete collapse of civilization as we know it, my life is unlikely to change.

As for poor people's lives in the UK, can they get worse? It seems unlikely.

Let's face it, you're the one who thinks everyone voted for your life to get worse.

And it might be true, if you don't have enough accumulated wealth, your life may well get worse.

But who cares about you, not me, I'm alright.

Edited by MissAndry

Voting to change for changes sake doesn't make it right. By saying that it seems you think it is ok to vote for your life to get worse

Well, it got rid of Cameron, which was a great start and completely overturned the current Tory leadership.

It looks like it will get rid of Corbyn, which is also promising IMHO.

As for my life, I didn't vote and short of the complete collapse of civilization as we know it, my life is unlikely to change.

As for poor people's lives in the UK, can they get worse? It seems unlikely.

Well I think you are half right on the bolded bit....good to be rid of Cameron. Though in saying that I don't know much about May and they are generally as bad as each other.

Don't mind Corbyn though.

I think poor people's lives can get a lot worse. I think if you ask any poor person in the world where would they most like to be poor Britain would come near the top of the list.

I think if you ask any poor British person where they would like to be poor Britain would be near the top of their list.

I would much rather be poor and British than poor and Thai. I think that in itself shows it can get worse(though that is obviously an extreme example)

What you're missing, is the people who voted leave have no money and no interest in banking, exchange rates or the values of stocks and shares.

They would just like enough money to buy their kids a new pair of shoes, something the Conservative austerity policy is unlikely to give them.

They will vote for anything to force a change on the theory, things can't get any worse for them, and they're right.

Absolutely agree with you on this, but the topic is about what they actually gain, not 'why did they vote', and i'm responding to the claims that 'nothing has changed economically' and 'the FTSE is up'.

I'm missing something here as sterling/bht fell not that long ago to around 44 to sterling.

It gradually improved to (recently) around 50 bht to sterling - and then hovered around that mark. (I've only been looking at SCB TT rates).

After brexit it fell and stabilised at around 46. The political uncertainty caused it to fall to around 44 a while later.

Its back up to the rate of the original brexit fall and stabilisation.

Time will tell - but please don't tell me that this is a new low in the sterling/bht comparison - its not....

I'm not claiming it is a 'new low', but that is is disingenuous to look at the figures in the weeks immediately prior to the vote and claim that as 'normal'.

The best rate imo that we can look at is that prior to Brexit coming into focus at the start of this year, looking at the end of last year we were around 53

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1Y

The fact that GBP returned to almost 53 in the hours following the vote (when all indicators showed a remain win) back up this perspective

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1M

So I do not agree that we should be looking at 'around 50' - more like 6% higher than that.

This is more about 'where would we be had we not left the EU' than 'what's the lowest ever GBPTHB rate'.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Voting to change for changes sake doesn't make it right. By saying that it seems you think it is ok to vote for your life to get worse, so long as you didn't know what you were voting for.

Maybe that is where we differ, I would want to be sure before jumping into something that could go either way

It also doesn't means things will improve, all indications before and after the vote have been they won't improve.

And despite the "woe is me" attitude of a lot of British people, they still have it better there than 90%(random made up figure) of the world

They don't necessarily need to improve, things were going along quite nicely from an economic point of view - except that we were being controlled by an increasingly federal EU.

THAT will improve.

THAT is what matters.

Agree with your last paragraph - although you wouldn't think so listening to some of the whingers.

I think if you ask any poor British person where they would like to be poor Britain would be near the top of their list.

The correct answer would be Sweden, Norway or Germany.

Most poor British people wouldn't have the education or experience to provide them with the correct answer.

They don't necessarily need to improve, things were going along quite nicely from an economic point of view - except that we were being controlled by an increasingly federal EU.

THAT will improve.

THAT is what matters.

Agree with your last paragraph - although you wouldn't think so listening to some of the whingers.

I agree with everything, but in response to the highlighted part:

But will it? will it really? That is just guess work at the moment too. And I don't have anymore faith in the British ruling classes than I do in the European ones.....i'd be surprised if anyone did.

Prior to the vote who expected May to be PM by now? The country is now lead by someone who 4 weeks ago gad no idea herself she would be PM, how can that be better than things going along nicely but controlled by someone else(atleast you knew them).

Prior to the vote who expected May to be PM by now? The country is now lead by someone who 4 weeks ago gad no idea herself she would be PM, how can that be better than things going along nicely but controlled by someone else(atleast you knew them).

She's got to be better than that Clammy faced Etonian Pig F...........

Edited by MissAndry

The correct answer would be Sweden, Norway or Germany.

Most poor British people wouldn't have the education or experience to provide them with the correct answer.

Even if they listed those countries and 10 others before Britain that still puts them near the top of the list.

I can think of a handful that I think would be on par, but none much better....but I may be one of the poor people without the education or experience to provide the correct answer :)

She's got to be better than that Clammy faced Etonian Pig F...........

That is very hard to argue with...so I will agree

FTSE100 up 40

FTSE 250 up 165

In England that is what we call gains.

FTSE 250, 23 June, 17.3k - today, 16.3K. So that's a gain in a Brexiteers book of economics is it!

You should go into politics - you are adept at comparing apples and oranges!!

I said the FTSE (both indices) were up on the day. Fact.

You come back with am irrelevant, unconnected statement. Labour front bench for you I think.

Let me try again to see if you can grasp the message:-

In the last month (a reasonable spread before and after the vote):-

FTSE 100 UP 747 points

FTSE 250 UP 519 points.

Or is that down in the eyes of Remainiacs ?

And with such a comment you dare say that the other poster would make a good politician cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To determine if the stock market is up or down you use the figure right before the referendum and the figure today and look at the difference.

Recovering from a heavy loss is not a gain, it's a dead cat bounce.

Wrong again cheesy.gif

The period immediately before the vote was inflated by the artificial boost from people believing the bookies odds of 1/4 on for a remain vote. I took a 30 balanced 30 day period spanning the vote.

The FTSE indices are shooting up again today - the 'Brexit balanced' cabinet announced by May seems to have received a resounding vote of approval from investors.

Oh wait! Chiang Mai will have us believe that it is only on the back foreign money placing all the buy orders ! cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Most markets around the world are going higher and higher. The Footsie going up has nothing to do with Brexit at all. It is all about all the Central Banks continuing to flood the markets with cheap money. Whoever believes that this is sustainable needs his head examined. But that´s a completely different topic....

If I had said that about Brexit supporters deciding which way to vote in the referendum, you'd have gone into a rant-fest in their defence.

Funny old world.

Edited by GuestHouse