So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

I find it hilarious how are the remain supporters are desperate for the PM, to trigger article 50 in a hurry, there really is not a sense of urgency in the brexit camp at all.

There are a lot of nay sayers about Brexit. A cat falls off a roof, well blame it on brexit. A man leaves his Wife and kids and runs of with a Ladyboy in Soi Cowboy, well that has to be brexit to blame for that too.

Of course the rest of the world thinks we are mad, but they have been thinking that for hundreds of years. We had the balls to do what everyone was whinging about. 

Not everything is to do with Trade.

There is a swell of very unhappy people in the UK, who felt disenfranchised by the system and second class citizens in their own lands. (Something the Thai's would never stand for).

While the like of David Cameron could only talk about was how much trade would be lost, well look where that got him.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, autanic said:

I find it hilarious how are the remain supporters are desperate for the PM, to trigger article 50 in a hurry, there really is not a sense of urgency in the brexit camp at all.

There are a lot of nay sayers about Brexit. A cat falls off a roof, well blame it on brexit. A man leaves his Wife and kids and runs of with a Ladyboy in Soi Cowboy, well that has to be brexit to blame for that too.

Of course the rest of the world thinks we are mad, but they have been thinking that for hundreds of years. We had the balls to do what everyone was whinging about. 

Not everything is to do with Trade.

There is a swell of very unhappy people in the UK, who felt disenfranchised by the system and second class citizens in their own lands. (Something the Thai's would never stand for).

While the like of David Cameron could only talk about was how much trade would be lost, well look where that got him.

I think you should stick to speaking for Brexit supporters. 

If you can come up with an explanation of:

• what happened to the promise that the UK would get back control of its boarders
  • what happened the to promise that the UK would not be subjected to EU regulations and laws
  • what happened to the promise that the UK would not have to continue paying for the EU
  • what happened to the promise that the UK would get access to the EU markets without any of the above

And if you have a moment:

• what happened to the £350million per week the Brexit campaign was promising for the NHS

So far, the brexiteers have gained nothing apart from causing shock and horror amongst the financial markets and in the EU.  Albeit having given other 'not sure' paying countries a reason to think about also leaving the EU.

What happens next is interesting.   How long will May delay invoking Article 50?  Is she waiting until the markets and EU have got used to the idea - or is she looking for an excuse to never invoke Article 50?

36 minutes ago, GuestHouse said:

I think you should stick to speaking for Brexit supporters. 

If you can come up with an explanation of:

• what happened to the promise that the UK would get back control of its boarders
  • what happened the to promise that the UK would not be subjected to EU regulations and laws
  • what happened to the promise that the UK would not have to continue paying for the EU
  • what happened to the promise that the UK would get access to the EU markets without any of the above

And if you have a moment:

• what happened to the £350million per week the Brexit campaign was promising for the NHS

Time will tell as the UK is still part of the EU until Article 50 is invoked - which even then gives a 2 year time frame before leaving the EU.

Why are you pretending this is not the case?

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Time will tell as the UK is still part of the EU until Article 50 is invoked - which even then gives a 2 year time frame before leaving the EU.

Why are you pretending this is not the case?

I'm not pretending anything - I'm making sure we have a very clear record of the claims Brexit made and who it is on this forum who supports those claims.

Why are you objecting to me doing so?

I'm not.  I'm objecting to your earlier post stating that :-

what happened to the promise that the UK would get back control of its boarders

what happened the to promise that the UK would not be subjected to EU regulations and laws

what happened to the promise that the UK would not have to continue paying for the EU

what happened to the promise that the UK would get access to the EU markets without any of the above

Edited by dick dasterdly
16 hours ago, Khun Han said:

No, it's 10% at today's rate if you compare to the steady rate in the weeks before the brexit vote.

How long have you been on the block? Sterling spent a while down at about 44Bt a few years ago.

And where in Pantip did you buy your currency exchange crystal ball? I want one.

Keep up the scaremongering guys. You're hilarious :D .

It's a 15% drop if you compare with the day before the referendum result and the rate now.  Why on earth would you compare with weeks before the ref result unless you want to continue with the delusion that brexit hasn't put the pound in a nose dive.

How long did you spend reading my post? Maybe you should re-read as I've already mentioned the rate in 2013 and how the comparison with this drop is not the same...

As for the crystal ball, I only have to look at how sqeamish the financial markets are being towards the uk  and how there is absolutley zero on the horizon to suggest anything good will come only more bad ...the uk pm has even resorted to sending a begging letter to the chinese, thats how bad things are now for the UK.

Dumocracy in action!!!

6 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

It's a 15% drop if you compare with the day before the referendum result and the rate now.  Why on earth would you compare with weeks before the ref result unless you want to continue with the delusion that brexit hasn't put the pound in a nose dive.

How long did you spend reading my post? Maybe you should re-read as I've already mentioned the rate in 2013 and how the comparison with this drop is not the same...

As for the crystal ball, I only have to look at how sqeamish the financial markets are being towards the uk  and how there is absolutley zero on the horizon to suggest anything good will come only more bad ...the uk pm has even resorted to sending a begging letter to the chinese, thats how bad things are now for the UK.

Dumocracy in action!!!

Ok.  Those who have lived here a few years have watched sterling/bht at the same level as now.  But obviously you haven't been here that long.

Always good to read the argument that sterling/bht rose the day before, when the finance people thought that the vote would benefit them-  only for the financial sector 'whizz kids' to be proven wrong.

But meanwhile for the rest of us (that didn't take sterling briefly rising into consideration), we've seen sterling fall 10% - as it did before not that long ago.

Edited by dick dasterdly
3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

After the initial shake-up, nothing has happened.

Which is why we're all waiting to see what happens next.

You'll be waiting a long time. I can imagine many of the 18th century members of Thaivisa getting their knickers completely in a knot in 1776 when those pesky colonists in - where was it now - oh yes, America, declared their independence. What would happen next? How long did people have to wait before there was general agreement that it had been a "success"?  1783? 1812? 1865?

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

After the initial shake-up, nothing has happened.

Which is why we're all waiting to see what happens next.

Well Theresa is on holiday (in Switzerland?) so nothing much will happen just yet, but the economic effects of the fall in the value of Sterling are still starting to work through, unlike Parliament they don't stop for a summer-break !  :rolleyes:

Nice to see our selfless politicians, always hard-at-work, in the peoples' interests ! :lol:

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Ok.  Those who have lived here a few years have watched sterling/bht at the same level as now.  But obviously you haven't been here that long.

Do you need new specs or something....already answered this!

And, only been coming here since 1995.

3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Well Theresa is on holiday (in Switzerland?) so nothing much will happen just yet, but the economic effects of the fall in the value of Sterling are still starting to work through, unlike Parliament they don't stop for a summer-break !  :rolleyes:

Nice to see our selfless politicians, always hard-at-work, in the peoples' interests ! :lol:

And yet sterling fell after the vote, and has remained pretty steady ever since.

But I agree, politicians are looking for a way to suit their own financial interests.

4 minutes ago, HappyDazed said:

So you really are delusional.

OK....

Sterling/bht went down to 45 and is now down to 44 odd, but I'm delusional.

Or perhaps I'm not interested in putting forward stories to support a belief?

Edit - But feel free to rely on insults as a post.

Edited by dick dasterdly
6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

OK....

Sterling/bht went down to 45 and is now down to 44 odd, but I'm delusional.

Or perhaps I'm not interested in putting forward stories to support a belief?

Edit - But feel free to rely on insults as a post.

Are you using google translate or something?

Skyrocketing food prices

Oops. Nope

Sales at Asda slumped to a record low during the second quarter as fierce competition and sharp falls in food prices continued to wreak havoc in the British grocery sector.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/asda-sales-slump-to-a-record-low-vkxfcz3jp

Who am I to suggest that food products have been artificially inflated for decades due to the EU.

8 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

Dumocracy in action!!!

Sterling rose briefly before the referendum. Before that, it had been stable at just over 50 Baht for a while. It makes perfect sense to pick stable averages as reference points. What's the point in using brief peaks and troughs? Sterling has been stable since the immediate post-referendum drop (it's been rising slightly in the last few days). The nosedive toward parity with the Euro and the US Dollar is a strange fantasy of remainers.

And I wasn't referring to 2013. Sterling was down below 45 Baht for quite a while (even nearing 43 at one point) a few (maybe seven or eight, not sure without checking) years ago. I don't know how you missed it if you've lived in Thailand for so long. Maybe you didn't change any money for a while?

UK financial markets have risen above pre-referendum levels. How did you miss that?

The rest of your post is just more of the crystal ball nonsense (with an infantile insult abut the PM's polite approach to China about trade thrown in).

3 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

You'll be waiting a long time. I can imagine many of the 18th century members of Thaivisa getting their knickers completely in a knot in 1776 when those pesky colonists in - where was it now - oh yes, America, declared their independence. What would happen next? How long did people have to wait before there was general agreement that it had been a "success"?  1783? 1812? 1865?

You'd have been better off remaining a colony. It's all gone down hill since Boston had that tea party! 

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Sterling rose briefly before the referendum. Before that, it had been stable at just over 50 Baht for a while. It makes perfect sense to pick stable averages as reference points. What's the point in using brief peaks and troughs? Sterling has been stable since the immediate post-referendum drop (it's been rising slightly in the last few days). The nosedive toward parity with the Euro and the US Dollar is a strange fantasy of remainers.

And I wasn't referring to 2013. Sterling was down below 45 Baht for quite a while (even nearing 43 at one point) a few (maybe seven or eight, not sure without checking) years ago. I don't know how you missed it if you've lived in Thailand for so long. Maybe you didn't change any money for a while?

UK financial markets have risen above pre-referendum levels. How did you miss that?

The rest of your post is just more of the crystal ball nonsense (with an infantile insult abut the PM's polite approach to China about trade thrown in).

Here is a link to historical sterling/ Baht exchange rate

http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/GBP-THB-exchange-rate-history.html

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

gbpthb190816.jpg

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

And here is a graph of Sterling against Baht for the last twelve months:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?&view=1Y

The timescales from this graph can be edited down to 'prove' just about anything.

Maybe you can show us on that site where.

" Sterling was down below 45 Baht for quite a while (even nearing 43 at one point) a few (maybe seven or eight, not sure without checking) years ago. "

Brexit

It represents freedom and makes the UK more safe for our people. Besides that, do you really think the Brits give a toss about Sterling vs Baht? 

In years to come I personally think the GBP will retain its pole position as strongest currency in the world because of the decision to exit. 

Quite recently I was back in the UK for an extended stay. I kept rabbiting on about Thailand and most people said' it's a place I don't fancy visiting because of the attacks on tourists. I didn't really know a way round that. 

Just saying :coffee1:

Edited by ScotBkk
4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Maybe you can show us on that site where.

" Sterling was down below 45 Baht for quite a while (even nearing 43 at one point) a few (maybe seven or eight, not sure without checking) years ago. "

You can't have lived here long enough, as I remember that v well.  It coincided with the period of time when I was short of money.

edit - and reliant on pension income from the UK....

Edited by dick dasterdly