EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

It is interesting that it's pro-business that voted Remain while more agricultural and older people went the other way. Reminds me of when Switzerland had a similar referendum (to join or not). Zurich and main business cantons said yes, French speaking, Bern Basel etc said no and the no's won it.

There was then talk of doomsday for Switzerland as well. Didn't happen though. The CHF is practically on par with the Euro (1.08, last I checked, last week)

This is part of the reason why I point to the Muslim invasion as motivation for the "leave" voters. The "ordinary working man" neither fully understands nor cares about macro economics. He cares about the safety of his family, and the preservation of his way of life. While intellectuals preach the philosophy of "open borders" and "one world", the realists who work for a living see the injustice of Sharia Law and absolute suppression of freedom of religion (as well as so many other freedoms suppressed by Islamic rulers).

So, while the article atop this thread, as well as most of the posters here, have focused primarily on the economic issues and impact of the Brexit vote; I must ask again, if the deciding factor in the outcome wasn't the Muslim invasion!

You sir are a racist and therefore your views and comments are not welcome in a civilized debate. There is no Sharia law in the Uk and there never will be. This illusion of a muslim invasion is exactly that; an illusion and fortunately sane people with a proper and respectful perspective on matters are here to tell you where to get off.

He has exactly the same right to post on this forum as you or I or anybody else.

You don't have to like or agree with what he posts and you can always put him on your ignore list.

If you really feel that upset then there is a small box in the bottom left corner of every post that you can use to report the post to a moderator.

They will take note of the post(s) and decide on a course of action.

Their decision is final.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is interesting that it's pro-business that voted Remain while more agricultural and older people went the other way. Reminds me of when Switzerland had a similar referendum (to join or not). Zurich and main business cantons said yes, French speaking, Bern Basel etc said no and the no's won it.

There was then talk of doomsday for Switzerland as well. Didn't happen though. The CHF is practically on par with the Euro (1.08, last I checked, last week)

This is part of the reason why I point to the Muslim invasion as motivation for the "leave" voters. The "ordinary working man" neither fully understands nor cares about macro economics. He cares about the safety of his family, and the preservation of his way of life. While intellectuals preach the philosophy of "open borders" and "one world", the realists who work for a living see the injustice of Sharia Law and absolute suppression of freedom of religion (as well as so many other freedoms suppressed by Islamic rulers).

So, while the article atop this thread, as well as most of the posters here, have focused primarily on the economic issues and impact of the Brexit vote; I must ask again, if the deciding factor in the outcome wasn't the Muslim invasion!

You sir are a racist and therefore your views and comments are not welcome in a civilized debate. There is no Sharia law in the Uk and there never will be. This illusion of a muslim invasion is exactly that; an illusion and fortunately sane people with a proper and respectful perspective on matters are here to tell you where to get off.

It is not racist at all to be concerned. Your reply to genuine concerns by labeling someone a racist is plain wrong.

There are sharia courts in the UK, but under British law their finding are not legal.

If they are not recognised under British law then they are not courts.

The UK does not have Sharia Courts, end of. What you are describing is a room of people discussing a private matter and imposing their own beliefs on one another, no legal standing at all. And if they impose something that means committing a violent act on another person then they indeed are breaking the law and will be punished for it.

Some posters commented on the "slim" winning margin.

I wonder, if Scotland and Ireland were taken out of the equation and the votes for England only were counted, what would have been the winning margin?

Remain = 13,266,996, 46.6%

Leave = 15,188,406, 53.4%

A win for leave, but hardly a decisive one.

Is that right? Looking at this map, I would have thought the winning margin would have been much higher

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

I took the numbers from the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Thanks for this!

Not an overwhelming majority but a significant majority (in the case of England). Extremely close where I used to live (South Bucks), 20,647 votes to leave and 20,007 (640 votes only). Must have been the High Wycombe crowd 55

The more i read the more I think that this is being viewed the wrong way.

The headline should read "EU lost the UK as a member".

Lost of people on here bashing and talking nonsense but cut through all the noise and nonsense the question has to be asked "Why did the UK vote to leave the EU?"

If the EU was such a glowing example of nations uniting why does one of the biggest and strongest economies in the World decide to leave the membership?

Surely this is the question that everyone should really be asking.

What I am sure of is the dust will settle, deals will be struck and the UK will continue on and survive, maybe even thrive without the membership payments and EU regulations imposed by Brussels.

But what of the EU? The Eurosceptics can have a field day here, they just can't lose. On one hand they can argue that the EU has lost out and the UK will now gain advantage by negotiating its own terms, or the EU can try and shut the doors on the UK and lose all of the trade benefits and the Eurosceptics will jump on that too.

The remaining EU leaders will need to stop talking about the consequences and start talking about why and what needs to change in order to reform the EU so it can become what it has always claimed to be, a strong body of Nations united to work together for trade, peace and prosperity.

Is that the same as you are such a benefit to Thailand that they should make things easy for you?

Erm, what? What are you talking about? Did you read my post?

I was wondering that!!

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

There is absolutely no way the UK is going to stop immigration, so many industries have become completely dependent on them, expect immigrants from poorer countries in the future.

Are there any poorer countries than Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Syria, Libya and African nations because these people are already in the UK and either working, claiming benefits or illegal immigrants.

The UK will not stop immigration it will be selective and allow people who are needed in the country just like those here who are working in Thailand.

The only two countries you listed there that are currently not controlled by the UK alone are Bulgaria and Romania. It has always been our choice to accept immigrants from Albania, Syria, Libya and African nations, why would leaving the EU change UK border controls that the EU has never had any control of? There are actually people deluded into believing that the EU has opened our doors to people from outside the EU. There is already a points system for people from outside the EU, do not expect a change in that respect, just more people from the poorer countries you listed, we will need them to make up for the losses of immigrants from the EU.

Firstly I don't believe multiculturalism works. Just look at the vote today,. The Scots, N.Irish and many Welsh want away from England and we are about as close to the same culture as you get. Live in the Middle east and you will have a greater understanding. They do not work. The UK was and is becoming a country of to many different cultures that could not mix. before the you are racist brigade jump on, no I am not. It is an observation that I have seen and many would agree.

The working people of the UK voted to leave and that's because they see immigration as a huge problem everyday in daily life.

But you possibly live in Thailand? Complain much about immigration?

No, I never complain about immigration, I am far too aware for that nonsense, that and being an immigrant myself and having been brought up in an immigrant family, it would be a little peculiar to say the least. My point was to make clear that the vast majority of the poorer immigrants, the ones who often become a burden on the British taxpayer, have nothing to do with the EU, they are let in under British made policy, that is not about to change, why would it? I just think a lot of Brexit voters are going to feel a little mislead, truly by their own ignorance of the matter, but mislead none the less, when they realize that the EU was not the cause of all their issues with British demographics or economic problems. The families of Pakistani and Somali families will continue to arrive and so the numbers of Muslims will continue to increase, wages will go down before they go up, job will be lost, the cost of living will increase and after it all the toff establishment will still be in charge. The satisfaction they get from regaining our autonomy will soon give way and they will find themselves in exactly the same place as where they began, but this time a little poorer.

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

Hope you'r right, possibly this is the best thing that has happened since the worst thing that happened to the world , THE EU.

Next off the mark could be Spain and Greece, the whole thing might unwind but not before more economic terrorism about leaving is mongered.

NZ scare mongering was rife in the media saying exports would suffer--- BS, the only thing that will change is the exchange, the money will be money.

Things might be the same as the status quo never loose,however without the EU bullies in charge of the world economy it may be a slight improvement.

Watch out for a property bubble burst as the bookies and stock exchange insiders traders make money by wreaking havoc.

After this settles down some will be more filthy rich and life will go on in their favour as usual.

The bookies are very happy with a result they called the wrong way, isn't that strange.

It was a close call, I as very happy and a little sad to see Cameron go, he was a very bad actor,but to pick the best bad actor out of world leaders would be quite hard as they are all very good bad actors.

I like Boris to be next PM certainly the world does not deserve George Osbore the psycopath , I wonder if Boris will comb his hair for the job.

Well done Britain.

the EU has opened our doors to people from outside the EU.

7,000 illegal immigrants smuggled into Britain on ferries

No, that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense unless you think that leaving the EU is going to result in ferries stopping running or people smugglers stopping operating. The UK has very tight borders but they still get through, leave the EU and we lose the ability to have border control on the French and Belgian side, it is going to get harder to stop illegals not easier. The only thing leaving is going to do is prevent law abiding EU citizens from going to the UK.

Hope you'r right, possibly this is the best thing that has happened since the worst thing that happened to the world , THE EU.

Next off the mark could be Spain and Greece, the whole thing might unwind but not before more economic terrorism about leaving is mongered.

NZ scare mongering was rife in the media saying exports would suffer--- BS, the only thing that will change is the exchange, the money will be money.

Things might be the same as the status quo never loose,however without the EU bullies in charge of the world economy it may be a slight improvement.

Watch out for a property bubble burst as the bookies and stock exchange insiders traders make money by wreaking havoc.

After this settles down some will be more filthy rich and life will go on in their favour as usual.

The bookies are very happy with a result they called the wrong way, isn't that strange.

It was a close call, I as very happy and a little sad to see Cameron go, he was a very bad actor,but to pick the best bad actor out of world leaders would be quite hard as they are all very good bad actors.

I like Boris to be next PM certainly the world does not deserve George Osbore the psycopath , I wonder if Boris will comb his hair for the job.

Well done Britain.

Why would Spain and Greece want to leave?

I could be wrong but I always thought that these two were net gainers

Well done Britain.

Boris as PM! Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

He reminds me of the last of the "old boys" a bit like Hugh Grant.

The one thing he will do well is fly the flag for sure, a true British eccentric I think. And he should leave his hair alone, it would take out all the character,, giggle.gif

I'll raise a glass or two tonight.

Time to put the great back into Great Britain.

What a bonus - Cameron has gone!! What is worrisome is that we could have Laurel (AKA as Boris Johnson)) and Hardy (AKA Donald trump) leading two of the worlds most powerful and influential nations!!

So why are you happy? And to say Britain is the second (or do you think first?) most powerful nation is a bit of a troll. Witnessed a small part of the US airforce deploy overseas, had more aircraft than the RAF.

Talking of aircraft the UK government is committed to buying a number of maritime patrol aircraft from the USA?

Why would they do that?

Perhaps because when the Tories took power they scrapped the Nimrod leaving the UK with no maritime patrol aircraft at all.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-12294766

Well done Britain.

Why would Spain and Greece want to leave?

I could be wrong but I always thought that these two were net gainers

They are for sure, but one could argue they are also bullied and imposed upon a lot.

The locals may see the EU as a cause of their problems and decide better off alone rather then being told what to do,, just a thought.

the EU has opened our doors to people from outside the EU.

7,000 illegal immigrants smuggled into Britain on ferries

No, that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense unless you think that leaving the EU is going to result in ferries stopping running or people smugglers stopping operating. The UK has very tight borders but they still get through, leave the EU and we lose the ability to have border control on the French and Belgian side, it is going to get harder to stop illegals not easier. The only thing leaving is going to do is prevent law abiding EU citizens from going to the UK.

I think you might be wrong. If UK becomes a sovereign state without having to adhere to any of EU's policies, then they can literally prevent a ferry from leaving Calais or send it back from where it came.

What a bonus - Cameron has gone!! What is worrisome is that we could have Laurel (AKA as Boris Johnson)) and Hardy (AKA Donald trump) leading two of the worlds most powerful and influential nations!!

So why are you happy? And to say Britain is the second (or do you think first?) most powerful nation is a bit of a troll. Witnessed a small part of the US airforce deploy overseas, had more aircraft than the RAF.

Talking of aircraft the UK government is committed to buying a number of maritime patrol aircraft from the USA?

Why would they do that?

Perhaps because when the Tories took power they scrapped the Nimrod leaving the UK with no maritime patrol aircraft at all.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-12294766

Off topic but are you talking about Nimrod 2000? Cost a fortune and dosnt work. Radar was too powerful to keep cool. Great investment.

Cherio Brits, without your negative contribution the EU has now a lot more money to spend on countries in real need. No more rebates, farm subsidies etc. for leeches. Hurray.

LOL..in 2015 the UK contributed 12.5% of the EU budget, and is number 3 on the list after France and Germany...so your comment about leeches is hysterical...so unless your french or German...you could in fact be defined as a leech if your European

You forgot to count the rebates and subsidies, which make England the leeches of the EU. 12.5 % is counted before the deductions, and England has more deductions than the rest of the EU combined. England gets more money than it pays, a fact that should be reserved for countries with more political challenges, say Eastern or Southern European, not a well-developed western country.

You name Germany and France which is good, proving you understand that they finance the EU. Why WAS England leeching for so many years??? Even the Irish pay. Are you saying Ireland is a better developed society than the UK?

Anyway, I sold all my pounds the other day, now it's time to cash in. LOL.

Many EU politicians pointed this out recently and change was coming, like winter. So the leeches moved on.

I am sure that you have all the links, facts and figures at your disposal so why not try posting some to bolster your very weak argument.

After all both the Bremainers and the Brexits said that the UK paid more to the EU than it got back.

Are you claiming that you, alone are correct and that everybody else is wrong?

my gut feeling is, gentlemen, that the exact opposite will occur.

your 'great britain' will split apart. scottland will separate and re - unite with the eu. what will happen to london, the financial hub of europe?

what means do you have to make you great, (again?)?

and apart from that, given the magnitude of this event, the margin of 'win' over 'loose' is way too slim. there will be a lot of disgruntled brits having to live with and suffer from this short sighted decision.

The Scottish Parliament no longer has the majority to vote for another poll, but of course might, only might achieve a majority in the next Government in four years time. By then UK plc will have shaken off the stultifying bureaucracy of the EU and will have entered a new error of economic revival, without being dragged down to snail's pace by trading restrictions imposed by the EU. Given that happening and the Scots seeing the resurgence of the UK it is doubtful they will want to leave an upwardly mobile successful UK. By the way I am a Jock and think the previous devolution argument was seriously flawed with too many eggs in one basket and had not even considered what currency they would use. They have a long, long way to go and I hope the people are not fooled again by their political self interest and flawed fanciful ideas.

Is that right? Looking at this map, I would have thought the winning margin would have been much higher

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

I took the numbers from the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Another view, that means that over half of the UK total voted to leave! So, landslide or not still millions of people want out.

So, a serious problem for the EU I think.

The UK will unite under the right policies going forward. People don't throw in the towel because their vote was not on the winning side. This is what democracy is all about...

Don't really see the point of the analysis.

I wish that I had your optimism. The Scottish referendum was a divisive matter and the scars are still visible today; this referendum has been even more vitriolic and hate filled. Check the news for the scene this morning when Bojo left home, and the abuse and jeers that were being hurled at him. No, I don't see a united UK moving forward - I see increasing factionalisation.

I have a gut feeling that something will happen so the UK remains in the EU.

Perhaps more concessions and another referendum until they get the result they want.whistling.gif

I doubt that there is any British politician who would dare to ignore the Brexit result.

The fallout from this will spread throughout the elected and unelected in the EU and it would not surprise me in Juncker was not one of the casualties.

Never mind all the bickering..What this result highlights is that over half of the UK voting population is ****** off with Cameron & his failure to listen to their concerns over the threat of millions of Eastern immigrants being openly allowed to flood into the UK, & other major issues that would/could ruin the way UK folk have lived within their own country for 100's of years...There now needs to be action taken in the UK against Middle eastern laws over-ruling the Nation's long-standing Christian-based juditional system.

Marco, indeed you are funny.

What would you do without your immigrants, eg. Polish???

And 90 millions Turkish means 90 millions new customers.

And so you would have supported Assad who killed his own people...?

Go on drinking laddie

Cherio Brits, without your negative contribution the EU has now a lot more money to spend on countries in real need. No more rebates, farm subsidies etc. for leeches. Hurray.

LOL..in 2015 the UK contributed 12.5% of the EU budget, and is number 3 on the list after France and Germany...so your comment about leeches is hysterical...so unless your french or German...you could in fact be defined as a leech if your European

You forgot to count the rebates and subsidies, which make England the leeches of the EU. 12.5 % is counted before the deductions, and England has more deductions than the rest of the EU combined. England gets more money than it pays, a fact that should be reserved for countries with more political challenges, say Eastern or Southern European, not a well-developed western country.

You name Germany and France which is good, proving you understand that they finance the EU. Why WAS England leeching for so many years??? Even the Irish pay. Are you saying Ireland is a better developed society than the UK?

Anyway, I sold all my pounds the other day, now it's time to cash in. LOL.

Many EU politicians pointed this out recently and change was coming, like winter. So the leeches moved on.

I am sure that you have all the links, facts and figures at your disposal so why not try posting some to bolster your very weak argument.

After all both the Bremainers and the Brexits said that the UK paid more to the EU than it got back.

Are you claiming that you, alone are correct and that everybody else is wrong?

He's just trolling

Never mind all the bickering..What this result highlights is that over half of the UK voting population is ****** off with Cameron & his failure to listen to their concerns over the threat of millions of Eastern immigrants being openly allowed to flood into the UK, & other major issues that would/could ruin the way UK folk have lived within their own country for 100's of years...There now needs to be action taken in the UK against Middle eastern laws over-ruling the Nation's long-standing Christian-based juditional system.

So why did they vote for him last year?

oh, I forgot to ask you where Britain is GREAT????

I hope Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar will have the chance to vote....vote for a community with more than 500 Million people.

I pray that NI will be reunited with the Republic. It's a good time now to start.

Then Britain will have a reasonable size with about 40 Million people, just the size of a Nobody. Congrats!

I'm really enjoying watching the TV news and reading the establishment online press. They are Furious!!!! that all those poor deluded lunatics refused to listen to their betters (those same TV and press people) and vote the way they were being harangued into voting for. The CNNers literally look like they want to spit on their own viewers! And the smug little wretches on BBC can't figure out the size of the Mack truck that just hit them. This is fun!

And you are probably happy to benefit off said establishment. Perhaps you are so in deep with said establishment that nothing can financially harm you. Do you seriously take joy out of hard working pensioners possibly having their retirement ruined by a referendum?

I agree with usernames 100%.

During the campaign I have found the BBC one of the most biased (in favour of Bremain) news sites that I have read.

I am one of those hard working pensioners living in Thailand and a long time ago I decided that when the referendum came along that I would vote for a Brexit.

I also knew that for a while my income would go down but like many of us I accepted that fact.

My advice to you is to ignore all the financial events going on today and over the weekend and look again in a week or two and see what the rates are then.

Watching this evolve minute by minute. The Labour party has now called for a vote of no confidence in Jeremy Corben. Clearly this fiasco is being exploited for political posturing and it is likely that there will be a call for a general election as soon as the labour party gets a new leader.

I wonder how many of the Brexit voters are scratching their heads today and wondering whether they have made a massive mistake. Not that any of them will admit it!.

Juncker has just announced that there will be no concessions shown to the UK. As expected. Clearly and as predicted there is a lot of anger in Europe. Of course people need to calm down and they will. Farage has already backtracked on the commitment to put the EU money into the NHS and when pressed Johnson refused to comment on that.

Prepare yourselves for serious backtracking by the Brexit politicians over the next few months.

Things aren't that bad, my stocks are only down 20% now.

.......on paper, you won't make a loss unless you panic and sell them.

Dabble in the stock market and accept the consequences - I don't because I am not a gambler.

Some posters commented on the "slim" winning margin.

I wonder, if Scotland and Ireland were taken out of the equation and the votes for England only were counted, what would have been the winning margin?

Remain = 13,266,996, 46.6%

Leave = 15,188,406, 53.4%

A win for leave, but hardly a decisive one.

Would you have said exactly the same if the result was the other way around?

Remain lost.

Learn to live with it and get over it?

Archived