Process for retiring ref Visas

I know there are lots of posts on this subject, but it is still a minefield !!

I have learnt that there is no such thing as a "retirement visa", rather an extension to stay based on marriage

Here is my situation......

British Subject.....

Married to a Thai National for 14 years

We have a 11 year old Son who has dual Nationality.

At present I live and work in Saudi Arabia ( There are absolutely no Thai offices here from which to obtain any type of visa ).

Closest Thai Consulate is Bahrain, but they will only deal with residents of Bahrain.

I have been visiting "home" in Thailand about three times a year for the last 20 plus years.

I am leaving Saudi in August for good, hopefully to retire in Thailand.

As I cannot get any type of Visa from Saudi I will be arriving on a thirty day on arrival visa.

Can anyone please explain my next step after I arrive in August?

Do I go straight to Immigration ( I live in Hua Hin ).?

Do I need 400,000 baht in my Bank, and does this money need to be deposited for three months before?What papers do I need to take?

I appreciate there are hundreds of posts on this subject, but everyone's situation is always slightly different, and i would be very grateful for any up to date relevant information any member could throw my way

Thank you all for your kind consideration.wai.gif

Yes there is a extension to stay based on retirement which, is actually easier to get than marriage. 65000 a month in income or combination of income and savings of same amount. Over 50 years of age of course. In a nutshell go to immigration and get a 90 day then about 2 weeks prior to the 90 day expiration go to immigration where you will be living and get a retirement permission to stay. Ubon Joe Im sure will correct me on my errors. Very simple process

• Like 2

There is a Thai embassy in Riyadh and a consulate in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. Embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/home Consulate website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jeddah/th/services

You should try to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai before leaving.

If you don't get the visa and get a 30 day visa exempt (not a visa on arrival) you would have 15 days to convert to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration. It would require two trips 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps. Your wife would have to be with you when you apply. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply for the visa.

You could also go out to a nearby embassy or consulate to get the non-o visa.

The during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at your local immigration office.

Here is a general list of the required documents needed for the extension. You wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7 application.forms.

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)

Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.

Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Some offices may want witnesses when you apply.

• Like 2

There is a Thai embassy in Riyadh and a consulate in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. Embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/home Consulate website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jeddah/th/services

You should try to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai before leaving.

If you don't get the visa and get a 30 day visa exempt (not a visa on arrival) you would have 15 days to convert to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration. It would require two trips 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps. Your wife would have to be with you when you apply. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply for the visa.

You could also go out to a nearby embassy or consulate to get the non-o visa.

The during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at your local immigration office.

Here is a general list of the required documents needed for the extension. You wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7 application.forms.

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)

Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.

Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Some offices may want witnesses when you apply.

UJ why would you not advise a retirement vs marriage? Not being argumentative just wonder why. The retirement extension is so much easier and less hassle.

• Like 1

Many, Many Thanks ubonjoe and 2 fishin2.

I appreciate your time, and now I know what I need to do. I do not think there will be time to get visas in Saudi as we are travelling to UK in a couple of weeks, and will only be in Saudi for three weeks before coming to Thailand. Plus the Saudis need my passport to insert an exit only visa.

Ubon, I take it that when you say I can go out to a nearby Embassy or Consulate to get a 90 day non O visa you are referring to maybe Cambodia or similar ( we have a house near Cambodia so is not far ).

You could get your visa while in the UK from the embassy in London or one of the consulates. They issue visas at the embassy the next day after applying. The visa would be valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

You could possibley get the non-o at the embassy in Phnom Penh but Vientiane Laos would be a better choice.

Thank you Ubon, I never thought it would be that quick in UK !! I will check out what papers I need. We are in UK for two weeks, so a trip to London is possible.

Or alternatively a trip to 1 of the honorary consulates alluded to by ubonjoe (Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool or Hull) if closer to you than London?

But definitely do obtain a non-O visa while you are in the UK. Otherwise you risk finding yourself in difficulty in being permitted to board your final flight from Saudi Arabia to Thailand in August on the basis of a 30-day stamp in your passport on arrival, unless you provide the check-in assistant with evidence of a subsequent flight booking out of Thailand within the 30-day period.

• Like 2

Thank you Ubon, I never thought it would be that quick in UK !! I will check out what papers I need. We are in UK for two weeks, so a trip to London is possible.

• You can apply by post to London. You should get the passport and visa back within a week.
  • If you are applying for a non 'O' based on marriage you need to send a copy of your marriage certificate along with your wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again all,

Many thanks for your very informative posts, particularly you U.J. what would we do without you thumbsup.gif

i will be getting my 90 day Non O Immigrant visa based on Marriage from London next week.

I do however have another question (moan i hear you say giggle.gif )......I will be applying for single entry, but on part 2 of the form there are a couple of questions I am not sure how to answer as they do not appear to be relevant to my situation......First is 'Duration of proposed stay'........and the second is... 'For Departure travelling to:' The last thing I would want is to be denied a visa by entering wrong facts. Would anyone have any experience? or do I write down I will be applying for extension after 90 days?.....

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, and thanks for any advice you may have.....

Hello again, Just wondering if anyone has an idea on my last post, or is it not good practice to propose answers to the above questions. ?

If the latter then i completely understand.

Regards

AFJ

Had to look at the form for the 2nd item.

Duration of Proposed stay: 90 days

For departure travelling

By: Unknown is what I would probably put. But you could put what ever you want since it would never be checked or proof needed.

To (country beyond Thailand): Same

• Like 1