Moving to Thailand: question about residency

Next month, July 11th, I will board the plane to Bangkok on a tourist visa, with the intent of having it converted to a non-B visa within a few weeks after arriving.

However, as of that date I am officially no longer am a resident in my home town or country. Yesterday I got my residency cancelled due to legal and financial reasons.

Will it present a problem to Thai authorities that I have no more home address when applying for the non-B visa?

How do you just cancel the residency? What country works like this?

Easy peasy. Just filled in the emigration form and used Narathiwat, Thailand as a placeholder address, since I don't know which exact address I'm gonna live at.

Good question. This can not be possible on this planet. Surely we are missing something. By residency, maybe he means he lost his apartment or home? How do you lose your country?

• Like 1

Good question. This can not be possible on this planet. Surely we are missing something. By residency, maybe he means he lost his apartment or home? How do you lose your country?

Exactly. You don't decide if you are a non resident, the government does.

So, I am not sure what Naam is talking about.

• Like 1

Alright, first let me explain English is not my native language. So if I misinterpret residency, please don't blame me. I guess I had better say I unregistered from the municipality I live in. I still keep my Dutch passport of course, but as of 11 July I will be officially homeless. In my country we say dak- en thuisloos, which translates loosely to 'roof- and homeless'. That's slightly better sounding than straight up saying 'homeless', right? ;)

Anyway, forget semantics. I will live in Thailand and my home address there is yet to be determined, but it's somewhere in the "City of Beauty & Harmony" as my T-shirt calls it.

• Like 2

Alright, first let me explain English is not my native language. So if I misinterpret residency, please don't blame me. I guess I had better say I unregistered from the municipality I live in. I still keep my Dutch passport of course, but as of 11 July I will be officially homeless. In my country we say dak- en thuisloos, which translates loosely to 'roof- and homeless'. That's slightly better sounding than straight up saying 'homeless', right? wink.png

Anyway, forget semantics. I will live in Thailand and my home address there is yet to be determined, but it's somewhere in the "City of Beauty & Harmony" as my T-shirt calls it.

i am not sure how it works in the Netherlands but in France, Germany, Italy and some other European countries it is mandatory, respectively advisable, to inform also the tax authorities that you are leaving the country to avoid any tax liabilities.

Edited by Naam

Have you have applied for a a work permit yet, without it you will not get a Non Immigrant B Visa in SEA.

You do not need a work permit to get a Non-B visa in the region, you may have to have the form saying that you have applied for one.

Alright, first let me explain English is not my native language. So if I misinterpret residency, please don't blame me. I guess I had better say I unregistered from the municipality I live in. I still keep my Dutch passport of course, but as of 11 July I will be officially homeless. In my country we say dak- en thuisloos, which translates loosely to 'roof- and homeless'. That's slightly better sounding than straight up saying 'homeless', right? wink.png

Ok, so you have a Dutch passport, which means you have residency in Holland (even if you do not have an apartment or house).

As for an address, do you have relatives, brother/sister/parents in Holland whose address you could use if needed? That's what I do. I am Canadian, but have no actual residence there, so I use my sister's address when needed. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever checked.

Edited by WhizBang

all European countries i know.

THe UK has the status's of None Resident and Not Ordinarily Resident. From the individuals point it means you dont have to pay UK tax. Not Ordinarily Resident means you are not currently resident but the intention is to take up residency at some point in the future. I am considered as None Resident since I ave lived overseas for just about ever

THe UK has the status's of None Resident and Not Ordinarily Resident. From the individuals point it means you dont have to pay UK tax. Not Ordinarily Resident means you are not currently resident but the intention is to take up residency at some point in the future. I am considered as None Resident since I ave lived overseas for just about ever

Not true in the case of non-residents at least who are still required to pay tax to the jolly old taxman in HMRC on any UK-derived (e.g. pension) income.

I speak from personal experience here!

Ok, so you have a Dutch passport, which means you have residency in Holland (even if you do not have an apartment or house).

As for an address, do you have relatives, brother/sister/parents in Holland whose address you could use if needed? That's what I do. I am Canadian, but have no actual residence there, so I use my sister's address when needed. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever checked.

Nationality and residency are completely different things.

If you move from Holland for a period more than 8 months, you have to unregister by law.

This has effects not only on taxes. but on many government related issues, like rights on healthcare, benefits, welfare, old-age pension etc).

Also many companies (a.o. some banks and insurances) don't extend their services anymore if you live abroad.

Exactly. You don't decide if you are a non resident, the government does.

So, I am not sure what Naam is talking about.

I cancelled my residency in Australia over 20 years ago when I left for Thailand. I am now what they call a Non Resident but I am still a citizen. I have no tax obligations, no superanuation requirement to pay and received whatever super I had at the time refunded. I fill my last tax return in stating I would be not doing any more tax returns. This is the procedure in Australia and it is initiated by the person not the government. I have no tax or income obligations to report to Australia and I still have a bank account there and a mailing address. Any interest in the Australian account is tax at 100% with no threshold allowance as I am a non resident. That is not a issue as I have very little there and use it as a working account. I have a mailing address there at my sisters. I do not get medicare. I can come back and become a resident at any time but it probably takes 1 year to qualify for medicare and other benefits. To get a pension I have to be back there 2 years before applying at the age 66. Depending on when you are born and work they work out the pension based on this - from the age of 16-60 how many years have you been in Australia if it is the full 25 you get a full pension. If its less you get a percentage. This is all Australia related regulations. I think they worked out the start age of 16 as when people can start work. I stared at 14! so they got two years of extra tax out of me.

Edited by lizardofoz
  • Like 1

Incorrect. You yourself can cancel a residency by declaring you are moving to another residency, but authorities are unable and not allowed to do so with their own nationals, unless by court order (normally a longer prison sentence)

Incorrect. You yourself can cancel a residency by declaring you are moving to another residency, but authorities are unable and not allowed to do so with their own nationals, unless by court order (normally a longer prison sentence)

goodness gracious! we are talking about residence registration, id est registering and disregistering with the authorities.

So you're out of the Dutch free worldwide health insurance then?

Seems a bit daft to me.

I will use my mom's address, which is where I'm currently staying at.

So you have a job already for you when you arrive here? You will need all supporting documents from your employer

When applying for your non-b.

I have been accepted as a school teacher. Will teach math in the school's English program. They employ multiple foreigners so I'm sure the paperwork for me will be taken care of swiftly.

So you're out of the Dutch free worldwide health insurance then?

Seems a bit daft to me.

Yup. I give up many conveniences to live in Thailand, but didn't we all? I will get health insurance through the school though. If it's any good, however, remains to be seen. The same can be said about the Narathiwat hospital(s).

Oh well, if it doesn't work out well, I can always return to The Netherlands and live with my mom. After all, I will be Dutch till the day I die.

• Like 1

I think your confusing tax residency and legal residency..two very different things..unless you give up your citizenship you will always remain a legal resident withright of abode, by virtue your a citizen

By the same token moving to Thailand without PR doesnt make you a legal resident of Thailand, however after 180 days in country you become legally resident for tax purposes

Edited by Bunnychow