Hospital Cover for me based on Wifes job

tails

My wife has just informed me that her job as a teacher provides me with hospital cover and that her education office area want a copy of my passport. If true, would have been nice to know this sooner but oh well... not why I am posting...

Reason I am posting is I am wondering if anyone has the same setup and maybe knows more about it? My wife is pretty vague about the whole thing, things like this aren't her forte... hoping to find others out there who possibly know more about this because I would like to understand what, if any, this gives me access to and whether it would influence any change to privately paid health insurance. Personally, I find it a little surprising that I would qualify for any free government provided health cover at all, although here they are asking for it... strange this hasn't at all in the past four years though....

Edited by tails

Yea, it not coverage under the 30 baht program...it's probably coverage under social security or the school private insurer. Consider yourself lucky. As for coverage you'll have to get your wife to bring home some literature on the coverage, provide a website for the insurer, etc.

It's not Social Security, either. That is only for the employee.

OP, is your wife a government teacher? Is she a Civil Servant? If yes, there's the coverage. It would cover the employee, spouse and children.

If no, then Pib is probably on to something re: private company insurance. through the school - even though the ones I know about don't include families - but I don't have much knowledge about private insurance.

The way I understand it is if your wife works for a Government school, as Terry above says, she is a Civil servant & so they & family will receive free medical care. I have put my two (step)daughters through college to train as teachers. Will this qualify me for this benefit as I'm married to their mum?

The way I understand it is if your wife works for a Government school, as Terry above says, she is a Civil servant & so they & family will receive free medical care. I have put my two (step)daughters through college to train as teachers. Will this qualify me for this benefit as I'm married to their mum?

No, but their future husbands will.

Perhaps. I'm not sure because of the 'step father' part.

I'm guessing that if they get a job at a government school, as a civil servant - not all new teachers are civil servants - then you'll be covered.

That's the coverage I have, but I'm not the 'step father'.

My comment in my previous post should be changed to include the parents of the employee. Sorry about not including that up front.

Terry

Perhaps. I'm not sure because of the 'step father' part.

I'm guessing that if they get a job at a government school, as a civil servant - not all new teachers are civil servants - then you'll be covered.

That's the coverage I have, but I'm not the 'step father'.

My comment in my previous post should be changed to include the parents of the employee. Sorry about not including that up front.

Terry

Thanks, I stand corrected.

"Step fathers are not covered, only spouses and children are covered."

Are you saying that you don't think parents are covered? Or in the OP's case, the mother would be covered, but not the step father?

With civil service or state enterprise insurance, parents are covered. (personal experience)

Terry

The minor children (under 20) and the spouse and parents of a civil servant are covered under the health care of the civil servant.

A stepfather would not be a legal father of a civil servant and would in all likely hood not be covered.

Thankyou all, yes she is a government teacher and it would appear I am now covered which certainly is a welcome bonus... I am sure there will be some limitations and I am hoping to have the fineprint soon next week.

Now I just hope I never need to use it! Thanks again

Are you saying that you don't think parents are covered? Or in the OP's case, the mother would be covered, but not the step father?

With civil service or state enterprise insurance, parents are covered. (personal experience)

Terry

Not sure what you mean here "Or in the OP's case, the mother would be covered, but not the step father?".

In my case, my parents have nothing to do with this, her parents are covered but apparently not her sisters. We don't have kids but I understand they would be.

Thanks again guys/gals, now just need to get the fineprint, i.e. cost limitations, types of coverage (e.g. dental coverage in australia is pretty poor and I need to work out if there are any exceptions).

Will post back details for others benefits once I have more details.

Terry

Not sure what you mean here "Or in the OP's case, the mother would be covered, but not the step father?".

In my case, my parents have nothing to do with this, her parents are covered but apparently not her sisters. We don't have kids but I understand they would be.

Thanks again guys/gals, now just need to get the fineprint, i.e. cost limitations, types of coverage (e.g. dental coverage in australia is pretty poor and I need to work out if there are any exceptions).

Will post back details for others benefits once I have more details.

See post number 4.