Codswallop and humbug to yas all.

The UK will be saving £8.5 a year for not being part of the EU,

has anyone mentioned that ? More money for roads, hospitals,

schools, pensions, lower taxes, yes only think of ME ME ME

The UK's EU membership fee

read it here

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

think before ya speak

Jeeeeeez, you don´t really believe that, do you???? Oh man, c´mon!

PS: With "it" I mean the nonsense about "saving 8.5bn a year" ...

And YOU cast your vote? Oh god help us ....

It is 10 bn pounds NET a year that the UK sends to the EU.

Whether or not that money can now be spent on things like the NHS is up to the government, but that money WILL be available once the UK leaves.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read it here

think before ya speak

Whether or not that money can now be spent on things like the NHS is up to the government, but that money WILL be available once the UK leaves.

How much money will the UK loose a year due to multinationals relocating? Don't think anyone knows what the outcome will be. What are the Brits going to moan about now that they can't blame Europe?

Wow, there's a series of interesting articles in the UK press this morning, overall the sentiment from them is that the referendum result was the wrong one.

And before anyone gets potty mouth, I'm reporting interesting related articles I see in the papers, not stating what I think!

The petition to hold a second vote is reported to be over 2 million, that in less than 48 hours, the probability of that I'm told is extremely low. The call to have Parliament ignore the vote because it's not legally binding is getting louder plus various bodies and business groups are calling on government (whoever that might be right now) to do something (whatever that might be).

So what ever that's all about, latent regret, change of heart, over reporting I don't know but I would guess the Pound is going to see saw this week because the level of uncertainty and confidence seems to be getting lower and with the Eu saying get out now, the coming week could get very messy. Oh yes, and Moody's just changed the UK credit rating outlook to negative and the long term debt rating has changed to negative, that will hurt as we're on the verge of loosing AAA.

Finally, a great quote here from Juncker:

"Meanwhile, PM David Cameron is under pressure to speed up "divorce" talks with the EU after Brussels said exit negotiations should start immediately.

EU head Jean-Claude Juncker said it was "not an amicable divorce", but it was "not a deep love affair anyway".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36626201

read it here

think before ya speak

How much money will the UK loose a year due to multinationals relocating? Don't think anyone knows what the outcome will be. What are the Brits going to moan about now that they can't blame Europe?

And more importantly, WHO are they going to blame when things go wrong and there's no Eu to blame. I've heard that an office of "blame responsibility" will be established within government so that the British public always has a scapegoat to point their fingers at without having to think first, it makes sense to me.

I am convinced that Boris' decision to join and then lead the leave campaign had more to do with his desire to be the next Prime Minister than any firm conviction on the benefits or otherwise of UK membership of the EU!

I don't see the relevance of Boris Johnson's motivation vis-a-vis the Brexit vote? It's the people of the UK who made the decision to leave the EU...not Boris Johnson.

I am convinced that Boris' decision to join and then lead the leave campaign had more to do with his desire to be the next Prime Minister than any firm conviction on the benefits or otherwise of UK membership of the EU!

I don't see the relevance of Boris Johnson's motivation vis-a-vis the Brexit vote? It's the people of the UK who made the decision to leave the EU...not Boris Johnson.

It's known as "vested interest". Boris was not a staunch leave believer untill the possibility of becoming PM occurred to him.

I have only one problem with this form... I don't want to give out my bank account details... that sounds very risky.

Yes, Boris is now in a fix. He didn't expect or really want Brexit to win. And with Cameron rightly refusing to invoke the Leave mechanism and leaving it to his successor, Boris realises what a poisoned chalice he will inherit if he becomes leader! Som nam na.

everybody seems to forget how much shit the euro zone is in......the whole banking system is bankrupt....now britain is in a position to reverse austerity while the government

can stimulate the economy with a falling pound(won't stay low for long though)........Don't think this will happen as EU mantra of austerity seems to be accepted practice...

Government spending in the right areas will defer any economic slowdown,rather than austerity measures....

Hope it happens...but won't hold my breath!!

I have only one problem with this form... I don't want to give out my bank account details... that sounds very risky.

Yes, Boris is now in a fix. He didn't expect or really want Brexit to win. And with Cameron rightly refusing to invoke the Leave mechanism and leaving it to his successor, Boris realises what a poisoned chalice he will inherit if he becomes leader! Som nam na.

The chalice was already poisoned and on it;s deathbed!........anyone honestly believe the Euro zone will be in place in 3 yrs??

So what is everyone worried about!.......back to the way way it was before where countries could make sovereign economic decisions.....thumbsup.gif

The chalice was already poisoned and on it;s deathbed!........anyone honestly believe the Euro zone will be in place in 3 yrs??

So what is everyone worried about!.......back to the way way it was before where countries could make sovereign economic decisions.....thumbsup.gif

The sovereign talk is overrated, will Britain now be able to make demands of other countries due to our sovereign rights?

ME ME ME.

Bit harsh there Rooo... what about British expats in Thailand, or are they a different case compared to expats who've chosen to retire to an EU country?

This Brexit caper wasn't even on the horizon when they made their collective decisions to leave the UK... don't you think someone has earned the right after paying taxes their whole working lives to spend their twilight years in the sun, away from the UK if they should choose to?

Remember that, after paying taxes our whole lives, our pensions are still frozen as soon as we leave the EU or UK. We paid the same taxes as all the pensioners in UK, but get none of the benefits of the cost of living increases

It's known as "vested interest". Boris was not a staunch leave believer untill the possibility of becoming PM occurred to him.

I understand that...but like I said, he didn't make the decision to leave. I'm sure he's ambitious, as are all politicians by definition, whether he latched onto this issue out of personal conviction or political expediency is immateral. The voters made the ultimate decision (unless you're one of those who argue the "little people" are too stupid to decide these matters and are lead around by the nose by charlatans, and therefore shouldn't be allowed to vote on such matters).

I was just talking to a expat working for a bank in the Caribbean and his only thought was.... how does he apply for Scottish citizenship. I told him I figured that those that were non-resident probably would be given a choice... but he would have to wait and see. His greatest worry is that the UK vote out would affect his mobility for work within the EU.

Even In the event of a vote for independence by Scotland it is by no means assured that they could easily join Europe: while there are many in the EU ( and in Scotland) would would dearly love to cock a snook at London by facilitating membership, others...most notably Spain (on the basis of the precedent it would set for The Basques) would veto it.

ME ME ME.

Bit harsh there Rooo... what about British expats in Thailand, or are they a different case compared to expats who've chosen to retire to an EU country?

This Brexit caper wasn't even on the horizon when they made their collective decisions to leave the UK... don't you think someone has earned the right after paying taxes their whole working lives to spend their twilight years in the sun, away from the UK if they should choose to?

Remember that, after paying taxes our whole lives, our pensions are still frozen as soon as we leave the EU or UK. We paid the same taxes as all the pensioners in UK, but get none of the benefits of the cost of living increases

If you had chosen to retire in Samoa your pension would not be frozen.

I was just talking to a expat working for a bank in the Caribbean and his only thought was.... how does he apply for Scottish citizenship. I told him I figured that those that were non-resident probably would be given a choice... but he would have to wait and see. His greatest worry is that the UK vote out would affect his mobility for work within the EU.

Even In the event of a vote for independence by Scotland it is by no means assured that they could easily join Europe: while there are many in the EU ( and in Scotland) would would dearly love to cock a snook at London by facilitating membership, others...most notably Spain (on the basis of the precedent it would set for The Basques) would veto it.

And the Catalans.

I understand that...but like I said, he didn't make the decision to leave. I'm sure he's ambitious, as are all politicians by definition, whether he latched onto this issue out of personal conviction or political expediency is immateral. The voters made the ultimate decision (unless you're one of those who argue the "little people" are too stupid to decide these matters and are lead around by the nose by charlatans, and therefore shouldn't be allowed to vote on such matters).

Yes. Wanted to stay in myself but accept the result. Problem with politicians is that they will campaign for issues that they don't believe in to further their ambitions, bugger the man on the street. Hope it all works out ok. Suppose a general election is on the cards and another Scottish referendum.

And the Catalans.

There is already a different standard already set. UK has said a referendum is a valid process for succession; Spain has no such option. I see no reason why it would be a problem with Spain since the country that split is already indicating it is recognized as such. Obviously there will need to be a rush on it, since you want Scotland to more or less just continue on as the remaining part of the United Kingdom - already in. The reason that was held up as a reason not to separate - one that it would be outside and have to apply -- no longer exists... so people who voted on staying in UK because of the risk of being forced out of the EU... had the rug pulled out from them against their wishes.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

And the Catalans.

There is already a different standard already set. UK has said a referendum is a valid process for succession; Spain has no such option. I see no reason why it would be a problem with Spain since the country that split is already indicating it is recognized as such. Obviously there will need to be a rush on it, since you want Scotland to more or less just continue on as the remaining part of the United Kingdom - already in. The reason that was held up as a reason not to separate - one that it would be outside and have to apply -- no longer exists... so people who voted on staying in UK because of the risk of being forced out of the EU... had the rug pulled out from them against their wishes.

Spanish elections are being conducted today.

There just might be a major change on the cards if Podemos win this election.

The sovereign talk is overrated, will Britain now be able to make demands of other countries due to our sovereign rights?

Well it must have been overrated for many years as the EU is what 18-20 yrs old?......It was an experiment that is failing and will ultimately fail!

What demands of other countries?.....It worked ok before the advent of the EU......Broad question so i don't really know what demands you

speak of....All i know is the UK can now make decisions based on UK needs...

Well it must have been overrated for many years as the EU is what 18-20 yrs old?......It was an experiment that is failing and will ultimately fail!

What demands of other countries?.....It worked ok before the advent of the EU......Broad question so i don't really know what demands you
speak of....All i know is the UK can now make decisions based on UK needs...

Suspect we will continue to bend down for the USA. Hope your thoughts are right. Sad day or good day? The sooner Boris is in charge the better. Dodgy Dave seems to have a bit of integrity for a politician, hopefully Boris has some as well.

actually, the abolition of the Eurozone would greatly strengthen the EU. The Euro was always a bad idea and recognized as such be a range of economists from Milton Friedman to Paul Krugman.

actually, the abolition of the Eurozone would greatly strengthen the EU. The Euro was always a bad idea and recognized as such be a range of economists from Milton Friedman to Paul Krugman.

Cant be bothered to Google. Milton imposed his economic ideas on South American countries just as an experiment. Nice guy.

Cant be bothered to Google. Milton imposed his economic ideas on South American countries just as an experiment. Nice guy.

You've really got to learn to separate the man from the ideas. He had plenty of wrongheaded ones. Although, to be fair, he didn't impose them on anyone. In Chile it was Pinochet who did that And elsewhere, if there was an elsewhere in Latin America, it wasn't Friedman who was in any position to do the imposing. Anyway, as I pointed out, Krugman (and others who share his views) also thought it was a bad idea. I wasn't aware that Krugman has imposed his ideas on any country anywhere. More's the pity.

You've really got to learn to separate the man from the ideas. He had plenty of wrongheaded ones. Although, to be fair, he didn't impose them on anyone. In Chile it was Pinochet who did that And elsewhere, if there was an elsewhere in Latin America, it wasn't Friedman who was in any position to do the imposing. Anyway, as I pointed out, Krugman (and others who share his views) also thought it was a bad idea. I wasn't aware that Krugman has imposed his ideas on any country anywhere. More's the pity.

Ok, his ideas were imposed by the US government as a social experiment. Way off topic now.

Ok, his ideas were imposed by the US government as a social experiment. Way off topic now.

I agree about being off topic. But the point was that from an economic point of view, it was overwhelmingly obvious that you can't have a monetary union without a fiscal union. As it stands now, Germany as an export dependent economy is enormously benefited by having a currency that that is too low in relation to its economy, while Spain, for example, is very badly hurt by having a currency that is too high in relation to its economy. Of course, insofar as the UK has its own currency, this is not a problem. But, because the Euro has depressed the European economy for way too long, that contributed to dissatisfaction in the UK.

I agree about being off topic. But the point was that from an economic point of view, it was overwhelmingly obvious that you can't have a monetary union without a fiscal union. As it stands now, Germany as an export dependent economy is enormously benefited by having a currency that that is too low in relation to its economy, while Spain, for example, is very badly hurt by having a currency that is too high in relation to its economy. Of course, insofar as the UK has its own currency, this is not a problem. But, because the Euro has depressed the European economy for way too long, that contributed to dissatisfaction in the UK.

Were we not debating Milton? You have swerved back on topic without addressing your failed opinion. As mentioned, off topic.

Were we not debating Milton? You have swerved back on topic without addressing your failed opinion. As mentioned, off topic.

What failed opinion are you referring to? I honestly don't know what you mean.

What failed opinion are you referring to? I honestly don't know what you mean.

That Milton turned out to be a disastrous experiment for the country it was imposed on.

off topic but accurate post......The best 2 ways of growing any economy is 1..growing it with your own currency...2...being able to depreciate/appreciate

that same currency.Governments and banks can also loosen fiscal policy(spend money on whatever sectors...banks give more hopefully business

loans)........not to mention interest rates(monetary policy)can be raised or lowered in conjunction with above....

But having said all that.....if the foundations of any economy(business investment..educated youth...infastructure.)are absent the above will be of

little help long-term........