when in rome do as romans do. when in thai do as thais do

opalred

We are not immagrants yes we are guests. No we don't have to mix if we don't want. Yes Idid not llike the immagrants entering my home country and yes i disliked how they congregated.Yes i do mix and enjoy it here. No its not my home but it's as close as it can be. No I will never return to my birth country not even dead.

Another member of the "we are "guests" in Thailand brigade.
Soi f not a guest then what are you????

An Alien perhaps. 90 day reports?? That's how you treat criminals, not guests.

We are just tolerated for what we contribute to the Thai economy.

if you really belive that then I feel very sorry for you indeed. Personaly I find the 90 day reports is not a big deal or a problem and I never feel like a criminal. I just enjoy being here.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Load of crap

when in Rome do as Romans do. when in Thai do as Thais do

I could reply to you

When in Thai do as Thais do when in Australia do like Australians do

but unfortunately Thais do not do like Australians do

in Australia they just stick together and in there own

group and talk Thai

Does this answered your question ?

@jeab1980

You can still enjoy yourself here and still realise that you are not a guest, or, at the very least see that you are not treated as a guest by our host.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Whether you think 90 day reporting "is no big deal" has nothing to do with the fact that the government not only wants to know where you are, but, are getting ever more intrusive requiring information that is personal and none of their business. Does that sound like a host?

Nope. We are not guests. We are only here for the money we can give. If that wasn't true, why are there monetary requirements for marriage and retirement visas?

At a stretch, I could agree that short term tourists are "guests", though, most Thais they will meet on their holidays see them as sheep to be fleeced.

If you really think you're a guest, I feel sorry for you. Time to change the tint of your sun-glasses methinks.....

PS. I'm curious to know why you have picked a Thai girl's name as your moniker.

Edited by KarenBravo

Jeab, I feel sorry for you because you think we are "guests" in this country, most of us waken up to the fact that we are not guests one day. I am pleased to be here too, because the UK

is much worse. You are entitled to your opinion, but in mine, we are not guests here, guests are people who get invited to a place. None of us expats did.

A common language contributes to social cohesion and a sense of community. As such, I would argue that a social duty exists to learn the local language when you live there.

I will agree it's more polite to do so but in the context of NON-immigrants which the vast majority of us are "social duty" is rather over the top.

If you feel like doing that, good for you.

If you want to diminish those that don't, that's your right as well.

Edited by Jingthing

@jeab1980

You can still enjoy yourself here and still realise that you are not a guest, or, at the very least see that you are not treated as a guest by our host.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Whether you think 90 day reporting "is no big deal" has nothing to do with the fact that the government not only wants to know where you are, but, are getting ever more intrusive requiring information that is personal and none of their business. Does that sound like a host?

Nope. We are not guests. We are only here for the money we can give. If that wasn't true, why are there monetary requirements for marriage and retirement visas?

At a stretch, I could agree that short term tourists are "guests", though, most Thais they will meet on their holidays see them as sheep to be fleeced.

If you really think you're a guest, I feel sorry for you. Time to change the tint of your sun-glasses methinks.....

PS. I'm curious to know why you have picked a Thai girl's name as your moniker.

Point proved first Alpha rears head. I am a guest albeit long term but still a guest as for your last question . Far to intrusive even the goverment doesn't want or ask me why. Pot kettle black springs to mind.

on another point do you think your home government doesn't have the details you claim are intrusive??? They do so it's no big deal to give the same details to the Thai government is it really

What are you talking about?

Anyone who doesn't agree with you is "an alpha male? Anything intrinsically wrong in being an alpha male? You do know that in the English language, it's not an insult........more often a complement.

If you are just a lowly beta male, that's got nothing to do with me, speak to your shepherd (an alpha male).

No, my government does not ask for my bank account numbers, what social media I use, or places that I frequent. Please name a non-communist government that does.

Why do you say Pot kettle black? Do you even know the meaning of the saying? Do you think I ask intrusive questions of the Thai government?

Edited by KarenBravo

I don't understand the question .. . Of course I mix with Thais when in Thailand. Mix with Cambodians when in Cambodia... Filipinos when in the Philippines.. Americans when in the U.S., Canadians when in Canada...

Why go to a foreign country if you don't want to get to know the people and make friends with them?

I would just as soon stay home and save my money if that was the case..

The original Post is a bit of a troll.

However, I have met some foreigners that actually do immerse themselves in as many Thai cultural activities as possible including simply hanging out with the Thais all the time in a manner that has them thinking they are seeing the real Thailand and living like Thai people.

They are known as Peace Corps volunteers.

True enough, if you did come to Thailand by way of the Peace Corps then you would get a real, true life: When in Thailand do as the Thais do..... slice of Thailand life .......but... the poorer side and poverty side more so than all the diversified aspects that Thailand has now evolved into...and part of the reasons why we carry on staying here.....while all the modern conveniences come to mind

Sure if we want we can go "All Native" and do all of that "Thai stuff" including going to Buddhist Temples with the Thais and participating in the regional and annual events and festivals and going to Thai weddings with your Thai friends ( never been myself but some say usually a Thai wedding is a blast...if you like drinking )

Go with Thai people to many and various restaurants and try every kind of Thai food .....Ride a buffalo ..Swim in a country side klong and country side rivers and streams and go fishing with Thai people ....Chase and beat poisonous snakes...Watch Thai Monks come around and perform all kinds of strange religious rituals that you can sort of participate in if you want or go to where the Thai people inform you that some sort ghost and spirit chasing ritual is going to happen and witness the bizarre event with your Thai friends

Help the locals plant some rice and help them harvest it also

Help kill a pig and or a chicken and help prepare it for the evening meal.

Eat some Buffalo meat

Eats some local insect delicacies and chase it down with Mekong whiskey and Singha beer.

Sleep on the floor in basic rooms with no air conditioning and just a fan and sometimes no fan....just the night time breeze

Trek up the mountains and camp with your new found Thai acquaintances and friends.

Learn Thai and or Lao language for several hours a day so you can communicate with the local Thai people.

Teach them English in return.

Visit numerous schools for poor children with your Thai associates.

And many, many other activities to do : When in Thailand do as the Thais do.

Over the years I met 2 people who came here by way of the Peace Corp and they did all of that and more....or so they told me of their many adventures during their 2 year voluntary stints in the Peace Corps

So if you really want to get involved with Thai people and do as the Thais do then join the Peace Corp and or any other such voluntary organizations such as the Peace Corp.

Have a look at the video clip from the Tom Hanks movie: Volunteers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEp6SjgQnt4

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

A common language contributes to social cohesion and a sense of community. As such, I would argue that a social duty exists to learn the local language when you live there.

I will agree it's more polite to do so but in the context of NON-immigrants which the vast majority of us are "social duty" is rather over the top.

I'm just pointing out that the failure to learn the language and at least attempt to become part of the community is not without social costs.

I'm just pointing out that the failure to learn the language and at least attempt to become part of the community is not without social costs.

Or on the other hand, I've seen so many people who go "all in" to their self delusion of blending in in a xenophobic culture that does not genuinely invite that pay massive costs. It's an individual choice.

Load of crap

when in Rome do as Romans do. when in Thai do as Thais do

I could reply to you

When in Thai do as Thais do when in Australia do like Australians do

but unfortunately Thais do not do like Australians do

in Australia they just stick together and in there own

group and talk Thai

Does this answered your question ?

So what you're saying is the Thai girls in Australia treat you the same as Aussie girls...which is to say they ignore you. Ouch!

Jeab, I feel sorry for you because you think we are "guests" in this country, most of us waken up to the fact that we are not guests one day. I am pleased to be here too, because the UK

is much worse. You are entitled to your opinion, but in mine, we are not guests here, guests are people who get invited to a place. None of us expats did.

So Iam a guest in your own words as i was invited to live here. Absolutely no need to feel sorry for me at all but thanks for your concern.

So Iam a guest in your own words as i was invited to live here. Absolutely no need to feel sorry for me at all but thanks for your concern.

By the government? If not, you are a guest of an individual, or, company.

Not exactly the kind of guest that you claim we all are.

What are you talking about?

Anyone who doesn't agree with you is "an alpha male? Anything intrinsically wrong in being an alpha male? You do know that in the English language, it's not an insult........more often a complement.

If you are just a lowly beta male, that's got nothing to do with me, speak to your shepherd (an alpha male).

No, my government does not ask for my bank account numbers, what social media I use, or places that I frequent. Please name a non-communist government that does.

Why do you say Pot kettle black? Do you even know the meaning of the saying? Do you think I ask intru

sive questions of the Thai government?

Soyou have never given your bank details to any dept of your government for any reason what so ever. Child care money/tax credits ect ect!!. I am happy being a non Alpha by the way. What is so intrusive about an email or telling them you use Facebook. !!!! And yes Ihave a really good kknowledge of my language thank you. If you would have read my post properly about the term used on here Thai apologist. Youwould see why I said first Alpha. Always starts with rose colored spectacles. As for pot kettle black you asked me an intrusive question simple. Edited by jeab1980

Well you feel sorry for me, so I thought I would return the compliment.

semantics a guest is a guest not just when you may decide it is.

I guess I have to improve my English

the OP said "if you are in Rome do like the Romans do"

in his opinion "when in Thailand do like Thai people do"

So I voiced my opinion "when in Australia do like Australians do OK"

but no Thais do this as I mentioned before they talk in they own

language and keep away from Australians just keep to they

own circle so how fair is that?

remember in your own country you hated the new immigrants

I never hated the immigrants in my home country, and there were plenty in the area where I lived. Italians. Moroccans, Turks and Spaniards and I had friends among all nationalities.

I hate Thais with a vengeance.

remember in your own country you hated the new immigrants

I never hated the immigrants in my home country, and there were plenty in the area where I lived. Italians. Moroccans, Turks and Spaniards and I had friends among all nationalities.

I hate Thais with a vengeance.

I liked this ironically.

Just to point out Rome is a city, Thailand is a country.

Just to point out Rome is a city, Thailand is a country.

I guess you don't even know the meaning have another

what ever you drinking or smoking

semantics a guest is a guest not just when you may decide it is.

More rubbish.

A guest is invited. I was never invited to Thailand.

And your right. A guest isn't just what YOU decide it is.

Maybe you should check a reputable dictionary, I have. Several in fact. The common thread in all the definitions is the word "invited".

That's it from me. In a battle of wits, I refuse to fight an unarmed man.

when you come here to live in the falang gated houses

in the middle ofa old thai village

the locals say we are so happy to have the smart falang here/?

when the africa muslim or thai group go to live in a gated housing in middle of your home town

we are so lucky to have them here/?