Mazda 3 vs Mazda CX3, any hands-on experience ?

ETatBKK

hi there

have an old Volvo XC70 for out town travelling, and now looking for a compact car for inside Bangkok. Mazda 3 SP hatchback ( 2016 ) and Mazda CX3 SP come to my list; the look and feel is rather similar but the specifications are quite different. been inside the driver seat and the passenger seat, Mazda 3 feels a bit wider inside and the Mazda CX3 looks more trendy outside.

anyone have hands-on experience on these two ? or if you own one of them, how you went through the choices ?

thanks and cheers

I have the new Mazda 3. There are some differences between the 2 cars. The M3 is much more fun on twisty roads so I think it a sportier car especially with the 18 inch wheels. The CX3 has a little more cargo space but since there are only 2 of us in the family I went for the Mazda 3. The CX3 has a little quieter at high speeds due to the low profile tires on the M3. Both look good to me but the M3 has been rated the best compact car 3 years in a row by many publications. Just love my 3.

post-25614-0-05978700-1466910866_thumb.j

I have the new Mazda 3. There are some differences between the 2 cars. The M3 is much more fun on twisty roads so I think it a sportier car especially with the 18 inch wheels. The CX3 has a little more cargo space but since there are only 2 of us in the family I went for the Mazda 3. The CX3 has a little quieter at high speeds due to the low profile tires on the M3. Both look good to me but the M3 has been rated the best compact car 3 years in a row by many publications. Just love my 3.

Have you driven the cx3? The engine has a different tune and the torque come on earlier in it than the mazda 3.

Have you driven the cx3? The engine has a different tune and the torque come on earlier in it than the mazda 3.
Well the CX3 has the same engine as the 3 but the 3 has 165hp and the CX 156hp plus I think the gearing is different. Not sure why the CX3 is detuned.

some said the CX3 is based on the Mazda 2 chassis but with a new engine configuration.

I also learn above concepts - Mazda 3 is more smooth due to the 165hp engine, yet the CX3 is more responsive with shorter wheel base.

I have the new Mazda 3. There are some differences between the 2 cars . . . . . Both look good to me but the M3 has been rated the best compact car 3 years in a row by many publications. Just love my 3.

thanks for sharing your idea ! the Mazda 3 seems to have a wider interior. in CX3, my elbow often hit the side panel; but a bit of space in the Mazda 3 ( I am not big ). notice that they both using a smaller steering wheel already !

I own a Mazda 3 since one year and it is a great car! The only thing Is the trunk size, a bit small. If they launch it with a turbo, it would be perfect!

Just a question for OP: as you own a Volvo, why no considering a V40 t5 second hand? It is almost the same price as a brand new mazda top spec.

Just a question for OP: as you own a Volvo, why no considering a V40 t5 second hand? It is almost the same price as a brand new mazda top spec.

our 15 years old Volvo is lovely and is healthy, yet every time it goes to the service it really hurt ! the total cost of ownership is so invisible. we also went through the V40 and V50, yeah the interior is small and is rather basic. Japanese car at this price point offers better comfort.

we are considering Honda HRV at the same time, yet preference on Mazda choices.

some said the CX3 is based on the Mazda 2 chassis but with a new engine configuration.

I also learn above concepts - Mazda 3 is more smooth due to the 165hp engine, yet the CX3 is more responsive with shorter wheel base.

yes. The CX3 is based off the same platform as the Mazda 2. Same with the Ford Ecosport..

When buying a mazda, always try to see if the Diesel option is available.. Their Petrol engine still drinks loads of fuel.

yes. The CX3 is based off the same platform as the Mazda 2. Same with the Ford Ecosport..

When buying a mazda, always try to see if the Diesel option is available.. Their Petrol engine still drinks loads of fuel.

The 2.0 liter petrol engine gets 40mpg (pretty good). There is no diesel option for the Mazda 3. The CX3 has a 1.5 turbo diesel but only puts out 105hp and gets 57mpg

I have a 2-week-old Mazda 3 Sport SP (hatchback). Still getting the hang of it (so many options, many of which I'll never use - like driving a Mac) but loving it. Quiet & smooth, beautiful to steer, quick reaction when you put your foot down. Very nice.

Had only a cursory look at the CX3 when looking around. Can't quite remember why we decided against it - probably my partner didn't like its looks, appearances being everything in this country ...

I have a 2-week-old Mazda 3 Sport SP (hatchback). Still getting the hang of it (so many options, many of which I'll never use - like driving a Mac) but loving it. Quiet & smooth, beautiful to steer, quick reaction when you put your foot down. Very nice.

Had only a cursory look at the CX3 when looking around. Can't quite remember why we decided against it - probably my partner didn't like its looks, appearances being everything in this country ...

I think you have bought a really nice car ..the hatchback also has more air bags I think.

With just two of you, loads of space with the resr seats down. If I didn't like the high up view from an SUV, that would have been my choice.

I think you have bought a really nice car ..the hatchback also has more air bags I think.

With just two of you, loads of space with the resr seats down. If I didn't like the high up view from an SUV, that would have been my choice.

Yes, I should have mentioned the low-down feeling/look - something I've been getting used to after driving the new Isuzu pickup I bought for the family farm after I arrived here last November. The Isuzu is just the opposite of course, like all pickups. Still, you get used to anything fairly quickly ...

I have a Mazda 3 SP Hatchback, and it's a great car in every respect. Visibility is a bit reduced esp. rear window, so we installed a aftermarket rear view system, and now it's perfect......well almost, a few more horsepowers wouldn't hurt. Waiting for the turbo version.

Too bad, Thailand doesn't sell the VW Polo I think. Last year I was considering between the Mazda and VW. The Mazda certainly got the killer looks on all their updated versions, especially the mazda 6. The VW won for me with the ride quality and sound insulation where the mazda lacks. I'm waiting for the first service to know the costs hahaha.

not sure on Mazda 3, yet Mazda CX3 received very good review on fuel economic. Mazda 3 diesel not available in Thailand.

Mazda CX3 has a diesel version, that is THB110,000 more expensive than the petrol engine ( CX3 SP at THB1,045,000 vs CX3 XDL at THB1,155,000 ). the CX3 SP has a 2.0L 156HP engine, vs the CX3 XDL has 1.5L 105HP engine. although there are good things on diesel, personally I have no experience at all on diesel.

anyone has the CX3 diesel ?

We have drive Mazda's since 2008 and also owned the former, Ford-based models.

The Mazda 3 is very fun to drive. The interior is very nice and «up class». The cream interior looks very nice, but is a little bit prone to get dirty. The car's ground clearance is not big and you have to be carefully when parking or on steep ramps. The front spoiler likes to hit obstacles.

So I have changed to the CX-3 (2l Benzine). It has less interior space and no middle armrests. It is as fun to drive as the Mazda 3 and cannot feel a big difference in performance compared to the Mazda 3.. The interior is also very nice.

The riding position for the passengers is better (higher). My little son never liked the Mazda 3 because he couldn't look outside. I prefer the higher seating position of the CX-3 and the smaller dimensions - and of course the better ground clearance. The ride is softer than the Mazda 3.

I never regret my decision. We also own a CX-5 and so space is not the problem.

Fuel economy is similar between 3 and CX-3. My average is around 6.5 l/100 km (Gasohol 95). The old Mazda 3 consumed more than 9 l/100 km for the same traffic conditions.

The Diesel version of the CX-3 makes only sense for long distance driving.

The riding position for the passengers is better (higher). My little son never liked the Mazda 3 because he couldn't look outside. I prefer the higher seating position of the CX-3 and the smaller dimensions - and of course the better ground clearance. The ride is softer than the Mazda 3.

yeah, both Mazda 3 and the CX3 the interior are nice ( for SP version ).

thanks for the user insight. the ground clearance and softer ride are important considerations for driving on Thai roads, that rough speed bumpers and broken surface and floods. higher seating position, for driver seat only, or it also applies to the rear passenger seat ? I am not that young, getting out from a taxi rear passenger seat, what an embarrassing moment.

cheers

yeah, both Mazda 3 and the CX3 the interior are nice ( for SP version ).

thanks for the user insight. the ground clearance and softer ride are important considerations for driving on Thai roads, that rough speed bumpers and broken surface and floods. higher seating position, for driver seat only, or it also applies to the rear passenger seat ? I am not that young, getting out from a taxi rear passenger seat, what an embarrassing moment.

cheers

The passengers are sit higher and have a better view. But the space is narrower and there is no middle armrest.

You have to try both cars, first.

Wrong.

The current Mazda 2 or CX3 have nothing to do with the Ford Ecosport or any other Ford.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Wrong.

The current Mazda 2 or CX3 have nothing to do with the Ford Ecosport or any other Ford.

Actually....

Ford and Mazda have a lot in common..

They are using the same platform.. in this case the B3 platform for the mazda 2.. Which incidentally is also used by Ford for the Ecosport and Fiesta..

Take a second to understand that Mazda and Ford relationship runs deep.. Plus, it is very common for car companies to develop a platform together so that they can save cost.. 2 companies co-investing on a platform makes more sense for a mass market car..

The Mazda BT-50 also shares the same platform as....

The Ford Ranger.. What a surprise right.. heck, they are even made in the same factory, AutoAlliance Thailand!

Wrong.

Actually....

They are using the same platform.. in this case the B3 platform for the mazda 2.. Which incidentally is also used by Ford for the Ecosport and Fiesta..

Take a second to understand that Mazda and Ford relationship runs deep.. Plus, it is very common for car companies to develop a platform together so that they can save cost.. 2 companies co-investing on a platform makes more sense for a mass market car..

The Ford Ranger.. What a surprise right.. heck, they are even made in the same factory, AutoAlliance Thailand!

Ford and Mazda had a lot in common. But this is the past.

The only remaining common vehicle is the BT-50. All others models with Skyactiv technology and Kodo design are from Mazda.

Mazda is now independent. They have a collaboration with Toyota where Toyota will use Mazda's Skyactiv technology for their cars.

Rumours say, that the next BT-50 may be based on the Toyota Pick-up.

Ford and Mazda had a lot in common. But this is the past.

The only remaining common vehicle is the BT-50. All others models with Skyactiv technology and Kodo design are from Mazda.

Mazda is now independent. They have a collaboration with Toyota where Toyota will use Mazda's Skyactiv technology for their cars.

Skyactiv refers to the Engine Technology..

Kodo Design refers to the body..

Ignoring the other electronics and stuff that makes the car work..

The chassis are still shared between Ford, Mazda and some models from Kia as well..

If Mazda really decides to based the next BT-50 off the Revo.. that will be very bad news for BT-50 fans indeed.

Actually....

The Ford Ranger.. What a surprise right.. heck, they are even made in the same factory, AutoAlliance Thailand! Ford and Mazda had a lot in common. But this is the past.

You guys need to get your facts straight. Generation 1 (2003-2009) and Generation 2 (2008-2013) Mazda 3s were on the Ford C1 platform which was shared by the Ford Focus and Volvo S40. This was the because Ford owed part of Mazda which is not the case anymore. Mazda is now a separated company and Generation 3 (2014 - 2016) Mazda 3s are on a separated platform and not shared by any other manufacturer.

The chassis are still shared between Ford, Mazda and some models from Kia as well..

If Mazda really decides to based the next BT-50 off the Revo.. that will be very bad news for BT-50 fans indeed.

Skyactiv is not only a motor technology. It is the name for a whole set of technology - from the engine to the transmission, suspension and also chassis.

The new Mazda models no more share any (ancient) Ford technology. They are 100% Mazda. They share of course parts which every car maker uses (ABS, airbags etc.). The only remaining vehicle is the BT-50.

Ford and Mazda still share a factory in Thailand (as far as I know).

Why should be a Revo based BT-50 be a shock for Mazda fans (as I am, as you may have remarked...)?

Mazda is a small company and the development of a all new pickup may be too expensive. A new BT-50 may share parts from another company, but key features like engine, transmission and of course styling will come from Mazda.

My Mazda dealer assume, that a new Skyactiv BT-50 will appear in about 2 years.

Skyactiv refers to a whole bunch of technology, not only the engine. It includes transmission, suspension and also the chassis. Mazda uses technology from other supplies, like airbags, ABS etc. - as any other car manufacturer.

The new Mazda don't share any parts of the chassis with Ford (or Kia). They are 100% genuine Mazda technology. Mazda and Ford still have together a car plant in Thailand (Auto Alliance, AAT in Rayong) - but only for building the pickups.

Why should be a Revo-based BT-50 a shock for Mazda fans (as I am, as you already may assumed...)? Mazda is a relativ small company and the development of a new pick-up may be too expensive. The new partnership with Toyota is not a bad thing.

I assume, that a new Skyactiv-based BT-50 may share some components with the Revo, but major parts (engine, transmission) and of course the design will come from Mazda. My Mazda dealer thinks, that this new BT-50 will appear about in 2 years.

But now, we got off-topic: the subject of this thread are the Mazda 3 and the CX-3!

Well, the Revo has terrible suspensions and chassis..

Back to topic.. I will pick the Diesel CX3 anyday over the Mazda 3.. Maybe it's just because I love a higher ride position..

rumour - a Mazda 3 2017 facelift is leaked, that is based on the Japanese Mazda Axela, and with a 2.2L diesel engine option. ( I am not allow to put a link here, please google it )

the point is, when it will land Thailand ?